Author Topic: Crail Bolts Looking To Change The Game  (Read 2431 times)

nitro89

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 88
Re: Crail Bolts Looking To Change The Game
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2023, 12:16:37 AM »
just stick some of the of excess grip on your baseplates after setting up a new board and keep the bolts tight. job done.  ;)
"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2023, 02:19:01 AM »
I like the idea although I wouldn't be willing to pay any extra for it
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2023, 05:30:45 AM »
Wake me up when these come in hollow titanium. With grips.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2023, 06:22:20 AM »
all my holes are blown out and fucked up. it's too late. craig bolts.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2023, 05:20:03 PM »
Expand Quote
One other thing I do is cut up stickers and put them under the baseplate, as per some pro tip back in the day, but if you are really having issues with baseplates moving, even just a couple of strips of thin double sided tape work wonders in stopping things moving around.  Same way some people put them under rails before mounting.  Easy to put on, easy to get off, but keeps them exactly where they should be, so say the people who do that.
[close]

really? i had a sticker land wrong under a truck once and another thing just like it was, if you painted a board and skated it right away, it crackles like rice krispies cereal, snap, crackle, pop. you think new bushing and pivot cups are bad, shit is maddening! i painted a lot of boards back in small wheels big pants days and i always taped off under the trucks after that happened a couple times. the shoe print on a boards i painted the night before and then half flipped were hilarious, plus they slid like shit unless the paint was allowed to fully dry.
even boards that i let cure for a week before setting up crackled unless i tapped them off. they did slide better though, obviously.

Yeah the crackle from some paint is funny.

Re stickers under, I have a lot of old shop stickers that I just cut up, not so much to fit exactly under the whole truck but just sit inside the bolt holes and I feel like they are perfect.  The stickers are thicker poly material, not paper, which helps a whole lot.  Some other stickers are so thin that they actually work their way out from under the trucks, or bunch up which is curious.  Usually means the deck bolts are not holding the truck on well.

just stick some of the of excess grip on your baseplates after setting up a new board and keep the bolts tight. job done.  ;)

As said, some others have put the grip scrap stuck to the baseplate so it "grips" the wood, but I was never that keen to do something like that.  Might have to give it a go on a random board just to see what happens though.

Anyone else done this and what happened?

* I really couldn't see this going at all well, so will just stick with my happy place and leave the grip to the top of the board only.  Funny though.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 05:28:10 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2023, 10:49:00 AM »

I feel like the biggest issue here is if you accidentally sink the bolts too far into the board, there are not enough threads to actually tighten the nuts down enough to get the truck on without it moving, which completely defeats the purpose of this specific type of bolt.

How would that happen though if there’s not enough thread to pull the screws too far into the deck?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2023, 05:42:08 PM »
Expand Quote

I feel like the biggest issue here is if you accidentally sink the bolts too far into the board, there are not enough threads to actually tighten the nuts down enough to get the truck on without it moving, which completely defeats the purpose of this specific type of bolt.
[close]

How would that happen though if there’s not enough thread to pull the screws too far into the deck?

The guy broke his current board and set up a used board from someone else, in that instance.

Also with an initial setup, tightening to as far as it will go and then the bolts pulling ever so slightly further through so creating an ever so slight movement in the trucks on the deck, as per the forged plates that didn't really work on them, as they were too long in the shaft before the thread.

I can see how the logistics of it would initially be weird, but the end result was that they didn't work as intended and the guy was going to throw them in the bin, so I saved them, like I do with stupid amounts of stuff, just to have and look at and compare to other wonders of the skateboard world.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.