Author Topic: Indy mid baseplate issue (inverted nut coming loose) Anyone had this happen?  (Read 3028 times)

nopopnostyle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 30
Thank you for all the answers. Since I'm not in the US I contacted the shop I bought them from and after reviewing the videos I had sent them a new set Mid Forged Hollows is on its way.  ;D
I guess I'm really not the first one with this problem and it was still in warranty. So I'll give them a second chance.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Yesterday I finally got to setup a new deck and noticed my Indy Mids felt kinda strange. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the inverted kingpins move from side to side when turning. Exactly like reported above.
This is on mid forged hollows, I purchased them mid October last year. Since its been raining and snowing a lot they haven't been skated much and since I'm not young anymore the biggest impact they saw is probably a two stair. I'm pretty bummed on this since I really liked how they feel.

Has anyone else had this issue on the forged baseplates?

(I have Videos, but don't know how to attach them yet.. )
[close]

This issue seems to be inherent to all IKP designs without the use of some sort of thread locker, that would would have to apply before mounting your truck to the board. Which means you would need to know exactly how you wanted your trucks adjusted before riding them.

We may be able to create AI and get robots to mars, but we CANNOT progress traditional kingpin design.

Someone call up Elon/NASA to handle the real issues facing the world.
[close]

That'strue.
But just to make sure we're talking about the same issue, I'm not talking about the kingpin coming loose inside the shaft nut which leads to having to retighten the trucks often.
In my case the shaft nut seems to have wiggled loose inside its hole in the baseplate. This cannot be fixed with some loctite since the shaft nut probably widened the hole inside the aluminum like OP Mbrimson88 suspected in the first post.
[close]

So yeah, as people have worked out, it is not the kingpin itself, it is the baseplate hole widening out as per people putting pressure on the kingpin (turning / landing tricks, etc) that is causing the trucks to move in such a way that is causing issues and overall damage, which should not be happening.

I think there have been half a dozen of these come back and returned for warranty now that I know of alone, so the best bet is contact the shop you got them from, or even contact NHS directly - they have a warranty thing which is a lot easier when you are in USA - and see how you go.

Independent trucks in general still hold up fine and no issues (apart from the ti axles - don't get those) so I would say going for a different option or of course going for a different truck if you are over them.  Not a worry either way to me.

https://nhs-inc.com/info/warranty

Thanx for the reply, I'm still down for Independent Trucks. Right now there's 9 setups in my quiver and 7 are on Indys. I was even lucky with the Titaniums, bought the first set 2 years ago and had no problems with them. It took some time getting used to the feel of the new aluminum when they moved to china but that's ok to me too now. I just suspect the pivots squeaking more have something to do with a different aluminum formula as well but that's another story.
That being said I really liked the Forged Mids since I'm getting older and it feels a lot more manageable when my tail hits a little earlier.
So I was bummed when this happened. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen on my second set.

I took my first set apart yesterday to inspect the nut in the baseplate and even though I could move it when the truck is assembled, I couldn't apply enough pressure to make it move with the Kingpin alone. I guess it would need more leverage.

Speaking of levers, I suspect the problem might occur proportionate to how loose you ride them since the lever gets larger when the IKP is up higher. I rode mine pretty loose and im 160 lbs.

Buddy of mine said his friend had the same thing happen to his IKP baseplates and I was like damn that's gotta be extremely rare. For that to be happening on forged baseplates is pretty surprising cause they're stronger being forged and all. It really sucks that IKP's just don't seem to work without having to constantly mess with it and eventually leads to needing loctite. My kingpins came loose on the IKP baseplates and they come loose on older stage Indy's where the nut fits up in there, too. The solution I am currently riding is the Ace AF1 lows with a 1/8" risers. The kingpins are nice and low compared to the hi's. Only other options for trucks that are actually worth skating with lower kingpins are either Venture hi's or those new Slappy trucks.

Thanks for the reply. My reason for the mids is the truck height itself, not the kingpin clearance. I think I would also ride the mids with a standard kingpin and less clearance if this was offered by NHS.
 As far as alternatives, I had the Madness pretty bad and tried a lot of trucks. I also prefer a short wheelbase so it came down to Indy and ACE. Slappys look good but are too high for my taste. Tried AF1s and AF1 Lows. They are good and I still ride the Lows pretty often on another setup. I really like them too, but the geometry and quality and overall feel of the Mids just suits me a little bit more for my main setup. So we'll see how the second set holds up.

EAT PUSSY!

• Rep: 29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Yeah this has been a known issue since day one. Customer service at nhs sent me a picture of loctite, no joke.

for real!

i also have this issue. Complained with NHS and they told me to buy a fucking glue... i told them i wouldn't buy shit, and after a while they sent me another pair of MIDs, surprisingly the new ones have the same problem.

i glued the kingpin with superglue and it's holding fine... i'm not happy tho.

logjammin

• Rep: 312
Expand Quote
Yeah this has been a known issue since day one. Customer service at nhs sent me a picture of loctite, no joke.
[close]

for real!

i also have this issue. Complained with NHS and they told me to buy a fucking glue... i told them i wouldn't buy shit, and after a while they sent me another pair of MIDs, surprisingly the new ones have the same problem.

i glued the kingpin with superglue and it's holding fine... i'm not happy tho.

Is your kingpin still holding fine with the superglue? I want to skate tonight and don't wanna try loctite since it needs to sit for a good 24 hours. Never tried super glue and will go that route if it's good enough to hold the IKP from coming loose.

edit: went with blue loctite. I'll let it sit for a good 4 hours before the indoor sesh. Hopefully it's good. If not, I will reapply and suffer 24 hours.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 03:00:05 PM by logjammin »

EAT PUSSY!

• Rep: 29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
superglue holds super fine.

make sure you tight the way you like before waiting a couple of minutes for it to dry...

logjammin

• Rep: 312
Thanks man. I ended up letting the blue loctite sit nearly 24 hrs and it worked like a charm. I read on some other automotive forums that you don't even need to let it sit that long, it will lock everything up quickly within 20-30minutes.