Author Topic: Indy mid baseplate issue (inverted nut coming loose) Anyone had this happen?  (Read 3066 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
A friend is having an issue with his Indy mids so just putting it out there to see if any other people have had similar problems before I help him tackle the return process.

The specific issue is the inverted nut arrangement in the baseplate is coming loose, not falling out loose, but has started to move side to side in more than one set of trucks he has set up, all of which are still fairly new and in fairly untouched condition.

When the inverted kingpin is fully down in the baseplate (which is usually where he has them done up to) the kingpin can be moved side to side which means the baseplate area round the nut shaft is widening out, in much the same way that when deck bolts are not done up tight enough, it ovals the mounting holes in a truck baseplate.

He bought more than one set when he got them, so when it started happening on the first set, he put on another pair, but it is also happening on the fresh set he just put on.  Then he asked me about it, after which he messaged the shop he bought them from, didn't get a very helpful response and so is a bit stuck right now.

Before I start sending emails with pics and video to the shop in question, the distributor here in AU or even to NHS, has anyone else had this issue before or had similar things happen with Indy mids, or any other truck for that matter?

* Thought I should add a pic (from the brand new ones I had a while back) so you know exactly what is going on

« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 05:52:47 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1427
Re: Indy mid baseplate issue (inverted nut coming loose)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 04:44:48 AM »
Yes, not with Indy mids, but Tensor Maglights with an inverted kingpin. Sleeved bottom bushing washers prevented the slop caused by the stock washer cups. Theyre by MCB Skate and were 5 dollars.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Ghost Face

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 04:46:40 AM »
Saw one over here at my local park. Just one truck was loose. Told the kid to bring his board to my office and I'd take it apart and have a look underneath. If it was dodge I'd warrantee it but I haven't seen him since.

edit: the kids known as a bit of a "chancer" so might not of been what you're describing here but as I never got to asses it, I can't really confirm/deny.
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 05:50:13 AM »
Yes, not with Indy mids, but Tensor Maglights with an inverted kingpin. Sleeved bottom bushing washers prevented the slop caused by the stock washer cups. Theyre by MCB Skate and were 5 dollars.

Saw one over here at my local park. Just one truck was loose. Told the kid to bring his board to my office and I'd take it apart and have a look underneath. If it was dodge I'd warrantee it but I haven't seen him since.

edit: the kids known as a bit of a "chancer" so might not of been what you're describing here but as I never got to asses it, I can't really confirm/deny.

Thank you both for the replies so far.

Seeing 100+ views, I also wonder how many people actually have the Indy mids, or just the inverted baseplates, even if they are not having any issues with them, I am curious to know.

Anyone already skated some to death, or they lasted long enough to be out of warranty?

Ghost Face

• Rep: 103
I've distro'ed a good couple hundred pairs across all sizes since they came out. I've only heard of this one I mentioned earlier.
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
I don't think it is very widespread and almost wonder if it is not a product of the type of skateboarding - this guy I know does go pretty hard and goes through stuff fairly quickly - but as it seemed to happen to the almost brand new set as well as the set he had on for a month, I was wondering.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
I’ve got two sets of these on their way to me, I’ll report back if I experience anything similar. I really hope not.

Get hungry on it!

Stee Peep

• Rep: -2
YUP. Just realized it. One of the kingpins wiggles side to side even when cranked totally down   :-\  I love those baseplates and will be buying another set. It's disappointing but that's what happens when you have Chinese manufacturing.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
that's what happens when you have Chinese manufacturing.
fuck off

No comply

• Rep: 0
I haven’t had any issues and I’ve been skating them for 6 months. Lots of slappies.  Haven’t heard of this from my friends that are skating them either.

GlenSuggittsflexfit

This happens to ace classic baseplates very regularly.

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
Expand Quote
that's what happens when you have Chinese manufacturing.
[close]
fuck off

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
YUP. Just realized it. One of the kingpins wiggles side to side even when cranked totally down   :-\  I love those baseplates and will be buying another set. It's disappointing but that's what happens when you have Chinese manufacturing.

I think this is a more common thing with any brand of truck with inverted kingpin, but the technology was always fairly limited with other brands, or was more just DIY with people converting them from regular kingpins.

I know a lot of people instantly jump on the wagon of where things are made, but it is the same process as older Indy baseplates which still have USA under them which have widened out over time as well, even with a regular kingpin on one set I had come back as a warranty.

Regardless of where these are made, I do think some - maybe a very small percentage - will have this issue, in the same way as everything else somewhere sooner or later will have a fault or issue.

Thanks for all who have responded so far too.

It is appreciated.

Lurkey

• Rep: 16
  • LA fool
Re: Indy mid baseplate issue (inverted nut coming loose) Anyone had this happen?
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2022, 10:02:51 AM »
Any long-term reports on these? They holding up? Thinking about getting the replacement baseplates.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Re: Indy mid baseplate issue (inverted nut coming loose) Anyone had this happen?
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2022, 04:26:24 PM »
Any long-term reports on these? They holding up? Thinking about getting the replacement baseplates.

I don't have any updates as the people who tried them and didn't like them have gone back to older options / moved on to other options.

I also did see there was a specific warranty option for the inverted kingpin baseplates from the NHS site, but I think that was more related to the kingpin nut coming loose.

On the minimally used set I still have on a board, they are fine, but I think tightening the inverted kingpin down to as far as it would go was the best option.  With stock 90 duro bushings they are still turny loose without a lot of wheelbite, so that worked well enough.

The guys that did destroy them were very hard on their gear, so any normal person skating shouldn't have too many issues with the kingpin down as far as it can go with whatever bushing options you prefer to keep them at that point.

The tops of them still sit about medium height too, so not as much clearance as some other options, but still enough that they don't catch as much on most things.

The set of inverted kingpin baseplates I have are being used with some spare standard hangers and they work fine too.

nopopnostyle

• Rep: 30
Yesterday I finally got to setup a new deck and noticed my Indy Mids felt kinda strange. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the inverted kingpins move from side to side when turning. Exactly like reported above.
This is on mid forged hollows, I purchased them mid October last year. Since its been raining and snowing a lot they haven't been skated much and since I'm not young anymore the biggest impact they saw is probably a two stair. I'm pretty bummed on this since I really liked how they feel.

Has anyone else had this issue on the forged baseplates?

(I have Videos, but don't know how to attach them yet.. )

IpathCats

Yesterday I finally got to setup a new deck and noticed my Indy Mids felt kinda strange. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the inverted kingpins move from side to side when turning. Exactly like reported above.
This is on mid forged hollows, I purchased them mid October last year. Since its been raining and snowing a lot they haven't been skated much and since I'm not young anymore the biggest impact they saw is probably a two stair. I'm pretty bummed on this since I really liked how they feel.

This issue seems to be inherent to all IKP designs without the use of some sort of thread locker, that would would have to apply before mounting your truck to the board. Which means you would need to know exactly how you wanted your trucks adjusted before riding them.

We may be able to create AI and get robots to mars, but we CANNOT progress traditional kingpin design.

Someone call up Elon/NASA to handle the real issues facing the world.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Yeah this has been a known issue since day one. Customer service at nhs sent me a picture of loctite, no joke.

IpathCats

Yeah this has been a known issue since day one. Customer service at nhs sent me a picture of loctite, no joke.

HA! oh man, that's hilarious. was considering trying the ikp baseplates for a while, but im def gonna pass.

nopopnostyle

Expand Quote
[close]

Really? That's Customer trolling not customer service. :o

nopopnostyle

Expand Quote

[close]

This issue seems to be inherent to all IKP designs without the use of some sort of thread locker, that would would have to apply before mounting your truck to the board. Which means you would need to know exactly how you wanted your trucks adjusted before riding them.

We may be able to create AI and get robots to mars, but we CANNOT progress traditional kingpin design.

That'strue.
But just to make sure we're talking about the same issue, I'm not talking about the kingpin coming loose inside the shaft nut which leads to having to retighten the trucks often.
In my case the shaft nut seems to have wiggled loose inside its hole in the baseplate. This cannot be fixed with some loctite since the shaft nut probably widened the hole inside the aluminum like OP Mbrimson88 suspected in the first post.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 07:50:47 AM by nopopnostyle »

IpathCats

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

That'strue.
But just to make sure we're talking about the same issue, I'm not talking about the kingpin threads coming loose inside the shaft nut, in my case the shaft nut seems to have wiggled loose inside its hole in the baseplate. This cannot be fixed with some loctite since the shaft nut probably widened the hole inside the aluminum.

yea, maybe NHS will send you a pic of some JB weld instead?

nopopnostyle

;D That would be hilarious but also the last straw for me to finally ditch Indys after riding them for 34 years.

logjammin

• Rep: 324
Buddy of mine said his friend had the same thing happen to his IKP baseplates and I was like damn that's gotta be extremely rare. For that to be happening on forged baseplates is pretty surprising cause they're stronger being forged and all. It really sucks that IKP's just don't seem to work without having to constantly mess with it and eventually leads to needing loctite. My kingpins came loose on the IKP baseplates and they come loose on older stage Indy's where the nut fits up in there, too. The solution I am currently riding is the Ace AF1 lows with a 1/8" risers. The kingpins are nice and low compared to the hi's. Only other options for trucks that are actually worth skating with lower kingpins are either Venture hi's or those new Slappy trucks.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1103
This is such a common issue, and I think so many of us have reversed our own kingpins only to find the same thing, that I think there is something about the precession of a reversed kingpin inside a skateboard truck which causes them to come loose, no matter what intermediate steps you take to stop it.

I know we have some engineers and physicists here; anyone of you Pals got an idea?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

logjammin

Couldn't a truck company just design the geometry around a short standard pressed-in kingpin and allow it to still be turny? As I mentioned, the AF1 lows achieve this already, kinda. They could still make it shorter for better clearance to the level of Venture. Seems like the only solution. So far though, seems like no one has reported the kingpins coming loose on those inverted slappy trucks.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
I'm running those old Krux hollow dl kingpins on my IKP baseplates and I haven't had any issues with it. Since the krux pin has shorter threading I'm guessing it's fully engaging the nylock in the shaftnut. When I ran the stock pin I did notice I needed to adjust it more often but I just tightened the krux pin all the way down, threw in some bones hard and my trucks feel perfect now.

logjammin

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

That'strue.
But just to make sure we're talking about the same issue, I'm not talking about the kingpin coming loose inside the shaft nut which leads to having to retighten the trucks often.
In my case the shaft nut seems to have wiggled loose inside its hole in the baseplate. This cannot be fixed with some loctite since the shaft nut probably widened the hole inside the aluminum like OP Mbrimson88 suspected in the first post.

So yeah, as people have worked out, it is not the kingpin itself, it is the baseplate hole widening out as per people putting pressure on the kingpin (turning / landing tricks, etc) that is causing the trucks to move in such a way that is causing issues and overall damage, which should not be happening.

I think there have been half a dozen of these come back and returned for warranty now that I know of alone, so the best bet is contact the shop you got them from, or even contact NHS directly - they have a warranty thing which is a lot easier when you are in USA - and see how you go.

Independent trucks in general still hold up fine and no issues (apart from the ti axles - don't get those) so I would say going for a different option or of course going for a different truck if you are over them.  Not a worry either way to me.

https://nhs-inc.com/info/warranty