Author Topic: Frontside grind help (5-0)  (Read 1985 times)

RottenToTheCore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
Frontside grind help (5-0)
« on: September 12, 2021, 03:21:40 AM »
Any advice on frontside grinds? I can slash grind consistently but getting up on top of the coping is freaking me out. Every real attempt so far has ended in dropping into a smith grind of sorts, hanging up or just pussing out and doing a normal slash.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Frontside grind help (5-0)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 08:35:41 AM »
First things first.....I want to reclaim the word 'slash' as most grinds you are referring to are just called frontside grinds....basic name for a basic trick.....slash is used when there is zero to minimal pivot and it's mostly slide.....primarily done in pools..see: Dave Hackett

The trick you're describing used to be called the 'stand up grind' because that's what you have to do...stand up. 

I think there are a couple approaches...one is to keep doing what you're doing but push onto the deck more.  The other more common thing I see people doing is the long way...learn front 50-50's ie getting on the deck regularly, then learn the 5-0. 

I went the second route....it's still really hard and scary for me but tips I have is back foot in pocket, front foot I scootch back to counter me being too scared to lean back which is the most important part..... I'll shamelessly drag my tail at times too...I actually tell myself to drag my back heel....I always tend to lean to far forward so the end result sometimes is balance.....

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 09:36:01 AM »
First things first.....I want to reclaim the word 'slash' as most grinds you are referring to are just called frontside grinds....basic name for a basic trick.....slash is used when there is zero to minimal pivot and it's mostly slide.....primarily done in pools..see: Dave Hackett

The trick you're describing used to be called the 'stand up grind' because that's what you have to do...stand up. 

I think there are a couple approaches...one is to keep doing what you're doing but push onto the deck more.  The other more common thing I see people doing is the long way...learn front 50-50's ie getting on the deck regularly, then learn the 5-0. 

I went the second route....it's still really hard and scary for me but tips I have is back foot in pocket, front foot I scootch back to counter me being too scared to lean back which is the most important part..... I'll shamelessly drag my tail at times too...I actually tell myself to drag my back heel....I always tend to lean to far forward so the end result sometimes is balance.....

Thanks for the info and thanks for the help

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 01:16:18 PM »
dragging your heel, apparently

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 04:45:16 PM »
You want all your ass weight over your back heel. And angle your front truck in a bit. It will help you stay locked. Think about locking in that back heel side wheel right up against the coping, and sitting in the back seat enough to keep your front truck up. All the way up. Ideally you re-enter just before you come to a stop and then drop back in. Can be scary to learn proper stand up 5 Os but once you have them that's it... you'll get some good grooves in that back truck in no time.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 05:54:58 PM »
You want all your ass weight over your back heel. And angle your front truck in a bit. It will help you stay locked. Think about locking in that back heel side wheel right up against the coping, and sitting in the back seat enough to keep your front truck up. All the way up. Ideally you re-enter just before you come to a stop and then drop back in. Can be scary to learn proper stand up 5 Os but once you have them that's it... you'll get some good grooves in that back truck in no time.

Listen to this dude, he knows.

Just one thing to add, which complements the lean on back heel pointer: gonna sound dumb, but actually starting to stand up before you hit the coping helps you lean away from the coping and over the transition a bit when you lock in, which is pretty important and besides just makes the trick easier.  That way you can just ride it out until it feels natural to come back in once you’ve lost speed; your weight is already in the right place so it basically happens by itself whenever you’re ready.

This trick feels so fucking badass, and you can always do something to keep it fresh—faster, bigger walls, around corners, on pool coping, etc. Good luck bro.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 10:31:31 PM »
One more vote for fs 50-50.
Learn how to stand up on a fs 50-50 stall, how to lock your heelside wheels again the coping, and stand up.

Then try it traveling, more speed and carve into it a bit.

Once you get the feeling of standing up, then follow the rest of the advice, which is super sound.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 10:42:39 PM »
Above all else....Do not go to tail....

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 02:37:50 AM »

Was just about to ask if it’s a good idea to do this while learning haha

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 02:38:19 AM »
Thanks for all the advice guys, looking forward to that GROOVE

Frank and Fred

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2021, 06:02:29 AM »

Thank you! Needed to be said.

A quick 5 O into a long tail slide can be acceptable but otherwise.... straight in...

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 05:37:28 AM »
Yep - all that info is going to get you there!

The two things I keep having to get myself to do when I am just not balanced or am not feeling it, (especially when I set up a video or something and watch to figure out where I am going wrong), are keep my body turned and head position looking where I am going to end up, not where I am going to grind.  Every time I keep looking down at the coping, I end up not committing or staying on top, but when you know where you have to go and where your board is going to hit the coping, looking ahead where you are going to end up makes all the difference to me.

One other thing, especially on bigger transition, is although you want to get on top of the coping, to stay lower helps keep balance and keep you going. 

If I start to feel unbalanced, silly as it might sound, I just go faster and stay lower and a slash usually turns in to a longer semi stand up grind anyway, but my grinds are definitely not how some people just sit on the coping for long distances or right around corners of bowls.

I was looking for pics and video of people like Max Schaaf, Peter Hewitt and others, but didn't really find a good pic showing what I mean, but to see Peter Hewitt can sometimes confuse people more, just because he can look all twisted up, but usually goes twice as far round on the coping than others in a given session.  This one will have to do for now:

I also found a couple of decent pics from Omar Hassan, but the GIF from this blog might be one of the best to show one in his pool bowl, from Caught in the Crossfire (which in itself is good to see too) but this one is almost like a manual round the coping, if that makes sense.

https://crossfirezine.tumblr.com/post/115180130888/pool-sesh-with-omar-hassan-and-willis-kimbel

« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 05:58:33 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2021, 09:16:53 AM »
Yep - all that info is going to get you there!

The two things I keep having to get myself to do when I am just not balanced or am not feeling it, (especially when I set up a video or something and watch to figure out where I am going wrong), are keep my body turned and head position looking where I am going to end up, not where I am going to grind.  Every time I keep looking down at the coping, I end up not committing or staying on top, but when you know where you have to go and where your board is going to hit the coping, looking ahead where you are going to end up makes all the difference to me.

One other thing, especially on bigger transition, is although you want to get on top of the coping, to stay lower helps keep balance and keep you going. 

If I start to feel unbalanced, silly as it might sound, I just go faster and stay lower and a slash usually turns in to a longer semi stand up grind anyway, but my grinds are definitely not how some people just sit on the coping for long distances or right around corners of bowls.

I was looking for pics and video of people like Max Schaaf, Peter Hewitt and others, but didn't really find a good pic showing what I mean, but to see Peter Hewitt can sometimes confuse people more, just because he can look all twisted up, but usually goes twice as far round on the coping than others in a given session.  This one will have to do for now:

I also found a couple of decent pics from Omar Hassan, but the GIF from this blog might be one of the best to show one in his pool bowl, from Caught in the Crossfire (which in itself is good to see too) but this one is almost like a manual round the coping, if that makes sense.

https://crossfirezine.tumblr.com/post/115180130888/pool-sesh-with-omar-hassan-and-willis-kimbel

Thanks so much

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2021, 10:18:14 AM »
I feel like there's heel to toe rocking movement a lot of people don't talk about. If you can grind a bit on the ramp side of the coping but can't stand up on top I feel like you press on your heel right as you make contact with the coping then press on your toe to get up on top then level out and back to heel dig again.
I do this with 5050s as well and it's also how I slappy (I haven't really seen people talk about this technique with slappys either)
Oh and for backside it's just reversed so toe to heel etc

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2021, 12:59:15 PM »
I personally find the re-enter into the transition is the scariest part. Like fully turn your front shoulder to prevent a hangup.
IG: @flowterspace

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2021, 07:51:48 PM »
When I was learning em I just tried to do exactly how they're done in this video part. Definitely never done one wit that much style or authority, but it helps to shoot for the stars.

In fact, I think you can watch this video part and learn exactly how transition should be skated, or at least what it should look like!

http://youtu.be/jmVhWRckQ9o
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Brguy

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2021, 09:47:38 PM »
If you guys are looking for some reference Raney does one of the best fs grinds in this video, in my opinion.

https://youtu.be/EtTXRK2p_28
4:37

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2021, 10:58:47 PM »
With front 50-50's I noticed I sort of unweight to get up on the deck....I'm still learning 5-0's too but I noticed I do better when I just pressure all the way through....

Brguy

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2021, 09:39:57 AM »
I think the best tip is to always be ready to slide down the ramps in numerous ways since it's so easy to get your body tossed in random directions doing this trick, but if you're ready you can go as fast as you want and can work out different ways to grind.