Author Topic: Large Skate Shoes (US15+)  (Read 393 times)

listentoaheartbeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
Large Skate Shoes (US15+)
« on: September 12, 2021, 05:11:06 AM »
Hoping to find other people with large feet to share experiences and more importantly, shoes that skate well and are available in US15+.

It’s always been a struggle to find shoes in my size, but as I get older it’s becoming even more difficult since I need proper fit and support.

Here’s my list of shoes that I have skated in recent years:

Vans Chukka Low
Used to be consistently available in US15 up until two years ago, it’s more scarce now. Good board feel but not much support. I don’t think I am going back to these, need to protect my ankles.

Nike SB Janoski
Always available in US15 and larger, so that’s a plus, but I need more support these days. Great shoe though, holds up incredibly well and board feel is on another level.

Nike SB Blazer Mid
Went through three pairs since spring, I skate a lot but don’t feel they hold up well. Ankle support is nice but the sole gives in a bit too much more my taste.

DC Shoes Cure High-Top
Three sessions in I am pretty stoked on this shoe. Whatever a "performance cupsole" is (it’s not stitched), it works for me. More protection and support, but still sufficient flexibility. Not too happy about the seam in the toe area, already flicked through that.

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
Re: Large Skate Shoes (US15+)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 12:54:35 PM »
Dang those DC Cure Highs look like a decent take on a modern slightly slimmer Manteca High. Not mad at it.

My older brother is size 15 as well, and he swears by the Vans Sk8-Hi. He has to order them on the Vans Customs website in a suede overlay build with canvas quarters. That's because they stop the normal stock Skate ones and cheaper classics ones at 13... and the Skate customs only goes to 13 as well, but it's cool that the Customs classics ones at least go up to size 18!

I help him on the new ones digging out the crappy Vans classics insole (minimal cushioning and support) to replace them with more supportive/cushioned insoles. I had got him these Remind 5.5mm insoles in their biggest size (14/14.5) and it works pretty good in there after you clean out the Vans insole and glue debris. He's reused them on at least 3 pairs of Sk8-Hi's.

https://remindinsoles.com/collections/shop/products/cush-impact-insoles?variant=39425337360439
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

listentoaheartbeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
Re: Large Skate Shoes (US15+)
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 02:34:18 PM »
Dang those DC Cure Highs look like a decent take on a modern slightly slimmer Manteca High. Not mad at it.

My older brother is size 15 as well, and he swears by the Vans Sk8-Hi. He has to order them on the Vans Customs website in a suede overlay build with canvas quarters. That's because they stop the normal stock Skate ones and cheaper classics ones at 13... and the Skate customs only goes to 13 as well, but it's cool that the Customs classics ones at least go up to size 18!

I help him on the new ones digging out the crappy Vans classics insole (minimal cushioning and support) to replace them with more supportive/cushioned insoles. I had got him these Remind 5.5mm insoles in their biggest size (14/14.5) and it works pretty good in there after you clean out the Vans insole and glue debris. He's reused them on at least 3 pairs of Sk8-Hi's.

https://remindinsoles.com/collections/shop/products/cush-impact-insoles?variant=39425337360439

Availability of Vans Classics in large sizes is really good indeed. The Sk8-His don’t have  nearly enough padding for me, same with the Old Skool. Also kind of over vulc soles.

Keen on trying out those insoles though, international shipping isn’t too bad either at around $25. I think I am going to order some as soon as I’ve figured out how much arch support I need. Thanks!