Author Topic: Can skateboard equipment get any better than it is now?  (Read 4040 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Can skateboard equipment get any better than it is now?
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2021, 06:57:32 PM »
I remember chapman did the board inserts, Schmitt had the bumper board.  I think they could make decks more durable and potentially pop better.....resins and hybrids im sure could improve....

Dwindles Resin-7s are the best you can get if you like stiff/strong boards without the cost of a P2/VX/Flight/PopSecret/WhateverTheFuck + you can get the R7 Impact lights at pretty much standard prices.

OldCandy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2021, 07:52:33 PM »
we need a bigger bearing size and maybe smaller baseplate mounts. (3 holes?) triangle shape for strength
- more symmetrical decks not a twin tail or nose but a hybrid kick
- bearings with built-in spacers becoming the norm
- deck tech: one plastic bottom ply for strength/slide/razortail/pop
- decent gear getting cheaper, especially decks since a pro model board now cost more then a hollow forged indy, there is also no way 4 pieces of rubber cost 50 bucks, same thing for bearings too.

i think a lot of the problems in the skate industry are caused by middle-men and not being able to sell direct-to-consumer

Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2021, 07:58:59 PM »
- decent gear getting cheaper, especially decks since a pro model board now cost more then a hollow forged indy, there is also no way 4 pieces of rubber cost 50 bucks, same thing for bearings too.

Board companies are releasing logo models of their boards, no pro name and minimal graphics on them. BBS / PS Stix quality wood at a lower price point. There's value stuff out there for sure.

Deathwish, DLX, WKND, Pizza, Magenta and Carpet Company all do "blank" boards. Even Tactics shop boards are BBS quality wood at $35 with grip when on sale.

Expand Quote
I remember chapman did the board inserts, Schmitt had the bumper board.  I think they could make decks more durable and potentially pop better.....resins and hybrids im sure could improve....

[close]

Dwindles Resin-7s are the best you can get if you like stiff/strong boards without the cost of a P2/VX/Flight/PopSecret/WhateverTheFuck + you can get the R7 Impact lights at pretty much standard prices.

Skatewarehouse had these on clearance with the 15% discount, Impact boards for $40? That was a good day.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2021, 09:20:10 PM »
Formula Four 98's maybe?

thunder 147 highs. as in same height as 148.

ricta clouds with slick insides.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2021, 10:21:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Recently I've been thinking about how when you're tightening your trucks you're changing the geometry of the truck, because as you compress the bushings towards the base plate you're in turn pushing the hangar towards the base plate as well. It would be cool if we could figure out a truck where its geometry stays the same regardless of how tight you want it, although I imagine it may be difficult to do that without adding more parts to a truck and thus make it heavier, more complicated and less cool.
[close]

I actually did a bit of math on that for the difference to the geometry stepping on your board makes.  Long story short, the change is so small you’re likely to never notice it, and as such it’s not worth devising geometry that is less susceptible.

There is potential for better geometry I’m sure, but if it skates too differently from what we’re all used to it’s not likely to catch on.  That’s the rub, a technology can be superior but it can lose out if it’s not enough of an improvement to displace the popularity of the incumbent solution.

Old trucks had a nut under the bottom bushing. The easiest solution is to swap bushings.

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 50
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2021, 05:22:04 AM »
I think there's a convergence in gear quality, and I haven't seen real "innovation leap" in a long time except maybe in shoes. Actually, when did the last leap happen? Adjusted baseplate holes, inverted kingpin? Titanium/hollow axels? Sure, things have improved slowly, but for example all new skateboard trucks seem to imitate something Bennett or Indy has already done long time ago. Not to judge, it could still work if implemented with modern tech.

I would hope improvements in geometry/measurements, just open the geometry like bike manufacturers have done. Also, recycle used trucks. Neither of these are affecting the skateability of gear, though.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2021, 12:39:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I just finished skating a Resin-7 deck and honestly I haven't really liked a skateboard this much in a long while. It stayed stiffer longer than anything else I've ever owned, and I only replaced it because I really smashed up the nose doing wallrides and it was getting razor tailed.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 299
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2021, 02:28:52 PM »
we need a bigger bearing size and maybe smaller baseplate mounts. (3 holes?) triangle shape for strength
- more symmetrical decks not a twin tail or nose but a hybrid kick
- bearings with built-in spacers becoming the norm
- deck tech: one plastic bottom ply for strength/slide/razortail/pop

i think a lot of the problems in the skate industry are caused by middle-men and not being able to sell direct-to-consumer

Check these guys out, they implement a larger bearing. I've tried them and like them a lot, in my opinion the bearing construction needs a little work but I think they're onto something cool. At the price point they're asking I doubt it'll catch on though.
https://sm00thie.com/

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 299
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2021, 02:33:11 PM »
I think there's a convergence in gear quality, and I haven't seen real "innovation leap" in a long time except maybe in shoes. Actually, when did the last leap happen? Adjusted baseplate holes, inverted kingpin? Titanium/hollow axels? Sure, things have improved slowly, but for example all new skateboard trucks seem to imitate something Bennett or Indy has already done long time ago. Not to judge, it could still work if implemented with modern tech.

I would hope improvements in geometry/measurements, just open the geometry like bike manufacturers have done. Also, recycle used trucks. Neither of these are affecting the skateability of gear, though.

I think the last "leap" was shoe technology, and the one before that was either inverted kingpins or the popsicle shape. Does anyone know what the first truck that sold with a stock inverted kingpin was?

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2021, 06:18:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I just finished skating a Resin-7 deck and honestly I haven't really liked a skateboard this much in a long while. It stayed stiffer longer than anything else I've ever owned, and I only replaced it because I really smashed up the nose doing wallrides and it was getting razor tailed.

Painfully stiff for the first few sessions and the steep concave decks are aggressive to the point I'm feeling propped off my board. But they mellow out after 2 days and they remain snappy and keep their shape for way longer than your standard BBS.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2021, 11:22:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Painfully stiff for the first few sessions and the steep concave decks are aggressive to the point I'm feeling propped off my board. But they mellow out after 2 days and they remain snappy and keep their shape for way longer than your standard BBS.

Yup, I completely hated it the first session. Thought I couldn't even skate it, that I would have to give it away. I kept at it and now, three months later, I'm shopping for new R7 decks.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2021, 02:48:33 PM »
venture lows in 5.6
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2021, 06:07:42 PM »
Yes

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2021, 08:44:02 PM »
maybe some composite bamboo banana trunk maple deck..

Banging in the Slammer

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2021, 03:39:41 AM »
Manufacturing tolerances/materials/designs will get better as the largest generation of skaters find themselves getting older and having more disposable income. I wouldn’t be surprised if in ten years time there’s completely machined precision trucks similar to the ones longboarders have but they’re ridden exclusively by old farts doing no complys and slappies

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2021, 08:12:32 AM »
I will say, kingpins have gotten stronger over the years. I’ve been back on the board for about 3 years now and haven’t broken one. I used to break one a week back in the day, and I am much heavier now. Also, I just jinxed myself and will snap one next session.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2021, 11:22:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Skateboards just aren't that complex of a mechanism, and people really don't want them to change much.  Just look at bikes.  I would argue that they're more complex, and that market has been pretty stagnant since the 90's, with mainly changes in materials being the "innovation".
[close]

I think this is a good point, especially since most of the technological difference between the new trend, gravel bikes, and 90s stiff mtb (what's the term for no shocks? not hardtail I don't think) is pretty much just geometry and frame material. Though I suppose most of this difference is supported by the real technological upgrade, which was the disc brake, which allowed different geometries and tire sizes, gearing, etc
[close]

The term for no suspension is “rigid”

I’m not trying to be a dick, but after I quit a job I hated and eventually went back to school, I spent 2014-2019 as a bike mechanic/sales guy at a pretty high end shop.

A modern gravel bike is insanely different from a 90’s mountain or road bike.  A few of the big differences include, carbon fiber and/or hydro formed aluminum frames, tapered steer tubes, integrated headsets, through axles instead of dropouts, tubeless tires, single ring drivetrains with wide range cassettes, hydraulic disc brakes(you mentioned these), clutch derailleurs, and electronic shifting if you like tech stuff and have money to burn. 

The only thing that hasn’t changed is the general shape of the frame, and that’s only because the UCI said it couldn’t.  Since racing drives development, the silhouette of a road style bike hasn’t changed much since the 90’s, but pretty much everything else has.

That’s just for gravel/road style bikes.  A modern mountain bike is essentially from a different planet than one from even like 2006.

I just don’t think it’s a great comparison because pretty much the entire bike industry is driven by companies saying “here’s the new shit, it’s amazing and your old shit is garbage now.”

When I lived in that world, I was using employee discounts and flipping a $7k retail mountain bike every season, which I found stressful even without much risk of losing money.

Now I have a 3-season old mountain bike that I like and try not to let my brain get poisoned by keeping up with what’s new.

I think the beauty of skating is that it’s affordable and accessible.  You can have a tub of old parts and cobble setups together to fuck around with.

You can do the same thing with bikes I guess, but it’s a much, much bigger pain in the ass and nothing ever fucking works like you want it to.
[close]

I imagine it wouldn't surprise you at all then if I told you my bike is a cyclocross bike with gravelkings that I pretend is a gravel bike - however, it does ride nearly identical to a friend's actual gravel bike.

I was definitely not thinking about modern mountain bikes though, that's fair. My exposure to mountain bikes ended probably before 2006 🤣
[close]

This is the important part.  A lot of the innovation in biking makes bikes better on paper, but often not in a way that’s necessarily perceptible to human riders of said bikes (mountain bikes are legitimately a zillion times better than they used to be, but let’s not get into that because it will screw up my analogy).

If skating were like biking, there would be $300 carbon fiber decks, and competing companies would have different bolt patterns for trucks that they claimed made the deck more torsionally stiff.

When you bought a new deck, your $400 Thunders with titanium base plates and CNC’d hangers wouldn’t fit, so you’d have to sell them at a loss.

There would be 12 bearing sizes and the shop would have to order the replacement that you needed.

It’s really special that pretty much all skate gear works together: one bolt pattern and one bearing size.  That’s it.

If Yuto and Shane can do what they do on the same complete I can buy for $160, then nothing really needs to change, and that’s a good thing.

Anyone remember those almost Rodney Mullen uber completes? The axles (and possibly kingpins) were thicker. Had much larger bearings and I think the wheels had big aluminium cores so the actual urethane on the wheel was only 10mm or something.
It's funny skateboard part sizes are the size they are just cos that's what size they are. There's no real scientific reason it's just what the toy companies randomly chosen for rollerskates or whatever.
But yeah obviously having a range of different sizes is probably somehow better for specific types of skating but I doubt the skate industry is going to change anything. Especially when pros sponsors are all mix n match. Maybe if in the future pros just ride for NHS or Deluxe etc companies will start changing things up

fup234

• Rep: 0
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2021, 03:10:39 PM »
I think there's still a lot of room for improvement. Maybe not real revolutions like the double kicktail or pu wheels, but there's a lot that can be done for more durability and sustainability.
I, for example, really like my flight deck and don't really get why not more people buy them. Maybe I'm just more focussed on deck technology because I'm a tall, heavy guy and would have to buy decks in bulk if I rode 7 ply maples. The only drawback for me is that they razor tail as fast as a regular board, but since they don't break, you have to ride a heavily razor-tailed board. So that's one problem to fix with advanced technology for example.

On the other hand there's the question if companies really want to make their products more durable. One flight or vx deck costs less than 2 maple boards but will last you longer, making you spend less money in the long run. So why would they wanna fix the durability issue? This is probably one reason why bike and snowboard companies focus so hard on marketing their innovations, so those who have the money will spend it on new gear and not use their bikes until they really are no good any more.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2021, 03:34:37 PM »
BMXs tech in construction from the 90s till now is night and day. They weigh half the weight and are way stronger. Geometry is more refined, but that’s subtle, it’s more in the build tech. Even a cheap bmx now is a solid, dialled thing.

Skateboards still are basically identical besides flight decks.

sk8n hugon

• Rep: 6
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2021, 09:57:24 PM »
I wouldn’t be surprised if in ten years time there’s completely machined precision trucks similar to the ones longboarders have but they’re ridden exclusively by old farts doing no complys and slappies
This made me laugh so hard.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2021, 10:42:12 PM »
To some degree they can, just look at Formula 4s.  But unless it's a necessary innovation, it won't catch on.  Skaters are creatures of habit and are always weary of kooky trends and gimmicks.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2021, 09:39:06 AM »
Does it even really need to?

I mean the popsicle is great and I love skating it, but going back and fuckin around on some 80s style shaped shit is fun. It’s not really conducive to “performance” but who really cares about that shit anyway.

It’s kinda like, I’m sure there are some shoes that would be really technically good for skating but I’ll buy slip ons just for the look down.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 50
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2021, 11:06:33 AM »
Does it even really need to?

I mean the popsicle is great and I love skating it, but going back and fuckin around on some 80s style shaped shit is fun. It’s not really conducive to “performance” but who really cares about that shit anyway.

It’s kinda like, I’m sure there are some shoes that would be really technically good for skating but I’ll buy slip ons just for the look down.

This is a good question - there are so many dimensions in "better". Performance sure, but also identity/values (people avoiding or prefering certain brands/mgs), then economical and for sure just marketing or beliefs.

I think average human body sets some kind of reasonable frame where performance can or has gone; wheelbase probably is at its best around 14-16", popsicle is all-around winner shape. Same for trucks, there are probably physiological reasons why height is around 50-55mm. and width for both decks and trucks is linked to foot size. Then there are the performance details like turn, pinch, grind, which to me seems to be pretty well covered nowadays by market offering.

Before something will break through it must solve an existing problem, and I'm not sure if there are many left. Think about Ace 3/8 nuts, Tracker E-clips or Avenue trucks, for example. All tried to solve something that's not really a problem, hence no gained market.

In my opinion the existing problems are ecological, ethical/political (by who and where your gear is made), QC and maybe some fringe perf stuff like shaving 10 grams of weight at some part of complete.

Most of the gear is "good enough" already, and chasing perfection would be too big effort (80/20 rule).

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2021, 01:13:48 PM »
This brand is literally the wackiest shit ever, so maybe you guys don't care for them, but I wasn't really aware of them until I ended up in their instagram today and saw that they are trying a new deck construction, also having the sustainability aspect in mind which is cool. https://www.instagram.com/p/CSB99ypsUHp/ Curious to know how its made and how it would even feel compared to a regular deck (since there's no wood on it supposedly).

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2021, 01:34:31 PM »
The answer is pretty simple. Yes, it certainly can even though a skateboard is a very simple machine. The truth is that everyone and their fucking mother will complain whenever someone tries to innovate.

The most obvious one that has already been tried and decried is that board materials could be optimized to be lighter, stronger, and more durable.

PS OP - Shpongle is the shit. Was going to see him live at Backwoods @ Mulberry Mountain last month but he cancelled 😭

MysticalTypeExperience

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2021, 01:39:52 PM »

Skateboards just aren't that complex of a mechanism, and people really don't want them to change much.  Just look at bikes.  I would argue that they're more complex, and that market has been pretty stagnant since the 90's, with mainly changes in materials being the "innovation".

Hmm I'm going to have to hard disagree with that one. Mountain bikes have evolved massively since the 90s. Full suspension trail shred sleds are unrecognizable compared to their rigid 90s counterparts. And even road bikes have come a long way.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2021, 01:42:54 PM »
This brand is literally the wackiest shit ever, so maybe you guys don't care for them, but I wasn't really aware of them until I ended up in their instagram today and saw that they are trying a new deck construction, also having the sustainability aspect in mind which is cool. https://www.instagram.com/p/CSB99ypsUHp/ Curious to know how its made and how it would even feel compared to a regular deck (since there's no wood on it supposedly).

They might make the best skateboard ever someday but their marketing is so incredibly bad. They're from my country and almost nobody here knows about it. But I wish them the best, the vision is great

MysticalTypeExperience

« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2021, 01:46:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I think this is a good point, especially since most of the technological difference between the new trend, gravel bikes, and 90s stiff mtb (what's the term for no shocks? not hardtail I don't think) is pretty much just geometry and frame material. Though I suppose most of this difference is supported by the real technological upgrade, which was the disc brake, which allowed different geometries and tire sizes, gearing, etc
[close]

The term for no suspension is “rigid”

I’m not trying to be a dick, but after I quit a job I hated and eventually went back to school, I spent 2014-2019 as a bike mechanic/sales guy at a pretty high end shop.

A modern gravel bike is insanely different from a 90’s mountain or road bike.  A few of the big differences include, carbon fiber and/or hydro formed aluminum frames, tapered steer tubes, integrated headsets, through axles instead of dropouts, tubeless tires, single ring drivetrains with wide range cassettes, hydraulic disc brakes(you mentioned these), clutch derailleurs, and electronic shifting if you like tech stuff and have money to burn. 

The only thing that hasn’t changed is the general shape of the frame, and that’s only because the UCI said it couldn’t.  Since racing drives development, the silhouette of a road style bike hasn’t changed much since the 90’s, but pretty much everything else has.

That’s just for gravel/road style bikes.  A modern mountain bike is essentially from a different planet than one from even like 2006.

I just don’t think it’s a great comparison because pretty much the entire bike industry is driven by companies saying “here’s the new shit, it’s amazing and your old shit is garbage now.”

When I lived in that world, I was using employee discounts and flipping a $7k retail mountain bike every season, which I found stressful even without much risk of losing money.

Now I have a 3-season old mountain bike that I like and try not to let my brain get poisoned by keeping up with what’s new.

I think the beauty of skating is that it’s affordable and accessible.  You can have a tub of old parts and cobble setups together to fuck around with.

You can do the same thing with bikes I guess, but it’s a much, much bigger pain in the ass and nothing ever fucking works like you want it to.
[close]

I imagine it wouldn't surprise you at all then if I told you my bike is a cyclocross bike with gravelkings that I pretend is a gravel bike - however, it does ride nearly identical to a friend's actual gravel bike.

I was definitely not thinking about modern mountain bikes though, that's fair. My exposure to mountain bikes ended probably before 2006 🤣
[close]

This is the important part.  A lot of the innovation in biking makes bikes better on paper, but often not in a way that’s necessarily perceptible to human riders of said bikes (mountain bikes are legitimately a zillion times better than they used to be, but let’s not get into that because it will screw up my analogy).

If skating were like biking, there would be $300 carbon fiber decks, and competing companies would have different bolt patterns for trucks that they claimed made the deck more torsionally stiff.

When you bought a new deck, your $400 Thunders with titanium base plates and CNC’d hangers wouldn’t fit, so you’d have to sell them at a loss.

There would be 12 bearing sizes and the shop would have to order the replacement that you needed.

It’s really special that pretty much all skate gear works together: one bolt pattern and one bearing size.  That’s it.

If Yuto and Shane can do what they do on the same complete I can buy for $160, then nothing really needs to change, and that’s a good thing.

I primarily mountain bike, and this is fucking spot on. The beauty of skateboarding is how simple and cheap and cross compatible all the parts are.

Baswell Cerry

• Rep: 0
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2021, 02:54:11 PM »
Merch could be made in-country rather than cheap-ass materials and workmanship for a living wage. that'd be dope.

[Applause]

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2021, 11:34:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They might make the best skateboard ever someday but their marketing is so incredibly bad. They're from my country and almost nobody here knows about it. But I wish them the best, the vision is great

Yeah man, the marketing is really garbage. They make skateboards for guys that think doing a triple flip out of the skatepark launch ramp makes you the best skater in town.
But yeah this actually made me think if skateboarding tech is actually being held back because it’s always pushed by nerds with zero sense of taste.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP