Author Topic: Lizard King vs Jovantae Turner  (Read 23982 times)

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
Re: Lizard King vs Jovantae Turner
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2021, 11:17:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Isn’t the recidivism rate for domestic violence extremely high especially since most of it doesn’t result in any charges let alone mandated counseling or jail time?

It’s not as simple as dude hits wife, gets a therapist, hella nice guy now. It has nothing to do with JT being a former pro, his race, or socioeconomic status: domestic violence pervades across classes and racial lines but has a distinct bias in reporting. Sadly LK’s story is about the best help his wife will get and maybe someone will actually reach out to her directly.
[close]

Facts. At the end of the day, unless the victim seeks help willingly, nothing will come of interventions. This is unfortunately how some women meet their deaths at the hands of their significant other. Too blinded by love, helplessness, or brainwashed into the routine of abuse.

Wish I could gnar you.

My aunt was a victim of this shit.

Cops were called on their trailer plenty of times for loud arguments, throwing shit, etc. She didn't want to press charges so the cops left. If there's no sign of PHYSICAL damage or injuries, they can't legally do shit.

My mom and her sisters reasoned with her to leave. She didn't want to. She was trying to save the family. And probably trying to not make him mad.

While thankfully it wasn't physical abuse, at least I wasn't told it wasn't, there was A LOT of psychological and emotional abuse. And most importantly, thankfully, she finally got out of that mess.

As far as putting it on social, I think it helps bring light to the situation. As in my aunt's case, they lived in a fucking trailer park. People live close to one another. People heard it. People probably saw it. And luckily enough, one person, though they didn't come forward, cared enough to call the cops every so often.

So can you imagine, in the case of JT, how many of their apartment neighbors turned a blind eye/deaf ear to it before LK put it on blast?

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2021, 02:32:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Isn’t the recidivism rate for domestic violence extremely high especially since most of it doesn’t result in any charges let alone mandated counseling or jail time?

It’s not as simple as dude hits wife, gets a therapist, hella nice guy now. It has nothing to do with JT being a former pro, his race, or socioeconomic status: domestic violence pervades across classes and racial lines but has a distinct bias in reporting. Sadly LK’s story is about the best help his wife will get and maybe someone will actually reach out to her directly.
[close]

Facts. At the end of the day, unless the victim seeks help willingly, nothing will come of interventions. This is unfortunately how some women meet their deaths at the hands of their significant other. Too blinded by love, helplessness, or brainwashed into the routine of abuse.
[close]

Wish I could gnar you.

Cops were called on their trailer plenty of times for loud arguments, throwing shit, etc. She didn't want to press charges so the cops left. If there's no sign of PHYSICAL damage or injuries, they can't legally do shit.

My mom and her sisters reasoned with her to leave. She didn't want to. She was trying to save the family. And probably trying to not make him mad.

While thankfully it wasn't physical abuse, at least I wasn't told it wasn't, there was A LOT of psychological and emotional abuse. And most importantly, thankfully, she finally got out of that mess.

As far as putting it on social, I think it helps bring light to the situation. As in my aunt's case, they lived in a fucking trailer park. People live close to one another. People heard it. People probably saw it. And luckily enough, one person, though they didn't come forward, cared enough to call the cops every so often.

So can you imagine, in the case of JT, how many of their apartment neighbors turned a blind eye/deaf ear to it before LK put it on blast?

This is a difficult topic, most difficult when there is dependency, usually of the financial and emotional order...and when the victim doesn't have anywhere or anyone else to go to. It's a shitty situation for all involved.

I'm tired of this World.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2021, 04:30:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Wish I could gnar you.

Good points from all those who are quoted. I still think Lk's idea to post could put dangerous pressure on the alleged abuser (they don't usually handle that well), and doesn't consider the victim's agency or privacy, but it could also absolutely be the push some folks need to offer support or do something about it. Imo best way to create documentation is to continue to report it to the appropriate authorities. Edit: I'm speaking as a mandated reporter who has experience in similar situations and could not imagine sharing certain information with anyone who isn't guaranteed to use that information carefully, respectfully, and with the purpose of supporting the victims (so, the opposite of posting a public, screenshot-able Instagram post to an account with a large following). Think of how it could tear a family apart or otherwise exacerbate the situation without any legal ground being gained...

I will say, however, that while domestic abuse is pervasive across race and class lines, an abuser's race and SES (without a doubt) affect how their actions are perceived by the public at large. Also, specifically here, the fact that these are both pro skateboarders with impactful careers affects how the situation is perceived by the people involved in this discussion. Biases exist, and it doesn't hurt to acknowledge and be mindful of them in a discussion like this. I do think those things were worthy of at least being considered before we all rushed to make posts either immediately condemning JT (but yeah dude is probably definitely guilty of abuse) or questioning the validity if LK's story based on who is to us here (see page 1-2 of this thread).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 06:10:58 PM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

BinkyConklinFan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2021, 04:42:36 PM »
Man this is so crazy. I don't know how many of you are parents but it's hard as hell for me to not freak out when someone puts my kids in harm's way. Thinking that he's tried to fight Lizard while he was holding his daughter is crazy. I mean I've heard stories over the years too but I'd rather not speak on them, other than to say personally, I don't really blame Lizard for trying to do something about it or at least tell someone. Probably not the best way to do it, but now at least people know his point of view in case something really bad happens. I dunno. This whole thing sucks.

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Rep: -128
« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2021, 05:20:43 PM »
sooo....racist to side with lizard on this one orrr...oh please SLAP tell me what to think pleeeease!
big texas cummer

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2021, 05:39:03 PM »
sooo....racist to side with lizard on this one orrr...oh please SLAP tell me what to think pleeeease!

Lol yeah that does sound like something someone who is a lil racist would say

dustyassrocketswitchv

« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2021, 05:52:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lol yeah that does sound like something someone who is a lil racist would say

Oooh nice, just a little! Sweet
big texas cummer

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #127 on: September 14, 2021, 05:59:53 PM »
so if a white guy reports a black guy committing a crime he is automatically deemed racist and should not be heard? it just kind of seems like you’re doing the very thing you’re preaching against by saying that. “oh we can’t trust what he says happened because he’s not black” fight racism with more racism i guess? fucking stupid.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #128 on: September 14, 2021, 06:08:32 PM »
so if a white guy reports a black guy committing a crime he is automatically deemed racist and should not be heard? it just kind of seems like you’re doing the very thing you’re preaching against by saying that. “oh we can’t trust what he says happened because he’s not black”fight racism with more racism i guess? fucking stupid.

Please show me where I said or implied this? Some of you guys hear the word "racist" and the alarms start going off all over in your heads because you've never confronted your own bias. For the record, I don't think Lizard King is in the KKK based on the fact that he might have a racial bias as a white man from fucking Utah, and I don't think he's lying. In fact, I already explicitly stated that I don't think he's lying.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #129 on: September 14, 2021, 06:35:08 PM »
Expand Quote
so if a white guy reports a black guy committing a crime he is automatically deemed racist and should not be heard? it just kind of seems like you’re doing the very thing you’re preaching against by saying that. “oh we can’t trust what he says happened because he’s not black”fight racism with more racism i guess? fucking stupid.
[close]

Please show me where I said or implied this? Some of you guys hear the word "racist" and the alarms start going off all over in your heads because you've never confronted your own bias. For the record, I don't think Lizard King is in the KKK based on the fact that he might have a racial bias as a white man from fucking Utah, and I don't think he's lying. In fact, I already explicitly stated that I don't think he's lying.

That sounds a lil biased.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Lil Ricky

• Rep: -216
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #130 on: September 14, 2021, 06:37:02 PM »
Jovantae had the smoother style, and Lizard the more unique style, but over all I think they're both a bit overrated as far as skill goes. As far as the alleged domestic drama, that's none of my business. I'll leave that to the SLAP henhouse to sort out.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #131 on: September 14, 2021, 07:15:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Let me be the first to admit that it is, but before I'm accused of reverse racism, let me remind folks that this is happening in America. We've had a bit of a problem here, you see, and a long term symptom of that problem is that a lot of the white people here (myself included) were raised in a culture permeated by anti black bias of all shades, severities, sizes, what have you. So, excuse me for suggesting it might be the case that LK was feeling extra spicy because of his cultural programming. His Instagram post still reads to me as intentionally airing other people's business without the true intention of support, regardless of any truth in his allegations (which, AGAIN, I am not disputing).

As someone already pointed out, i don't think JT' race and LK's race are the MOST significant factors here, but something to consider nonetheless when you approach a situation like this. If it were considered more, discussed more, if the conversation were normalized, we'd probably be in a much better position to start changing harmful perceptions and even behaviors. We'd have fewer babies crying about "thought control" when we suggest that hey, you might believe some fucked up things despite what your mother says about you. People might also understand it's not their fault, and even better, they can do things about it. We'd understand the difference between a race based bias and being a Nazi, and we wouldn't get our feathers so ruffled when someone mentions it.

Edit: I'd like to add that Lil Ricky knows nothing of style, and is not qualified to speak on it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 07:25:25 PM by Urtripping »

23shinseal

• Rep: -15
« Reply #132 on: September 14, 2021, 07:28:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Didn't Rudy fight jovantae on an early girl tour because he stole from him?

Also I've probably never heard a story about a 90s pro that makes them sound like a half decent person
[close]

Karl Watson. Your argument is invalid.

That being said, fuck Tae if this is true. Makes me sad, he was a favorite of mine.
[close]

There are many stories of Karl being an annoying dick teenager who blossomed into a humble incredible man.
[close]

To be fair - most teenagers are dicks at some point, that and the man is probably mid 40s or so, that’s a looong time ago.

Also - I’ve always had a soft spot for Lizard for some reason, I think he’s natural love of skating shines through in his parts / interviews etc. He’s just a skate rat and I love that.
yeah he's never seemed like anything but a great dude who likes to have fun. a little bit crazy but I believe him.

Lil Ricky

• Rep: -216
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #133 on: September 14, 2021, 07:37:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Edit: I'd like to add that Lil Ricky knows nothing of style, and is not qualified to speak on it.

I thought my descriptions of their styles were quite reasonable, thank you.

stone cold steve austin

• Rep: -84
« Reply #134 on: September 15, 2021, 01:46:41 AM »
This thread is a shit show

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2021, 02:59:07 AM »

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

dustyassrocketswitchv

« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2021, 02:15:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Let me be the first to admit that it is, but before I'm accused of reverse racism, let me remind folks that this is happening in America. We've had a bit of a problem here, you see, and a long term symptom of that problem is that a lot of the white people here (myself included) were raised in a culture permeated by anti black bias of all shades, severities, sizes, what have you. So, excuse me for suggesting it might be the case that LK was feeling extra spicy because of his cultural programming. His Instagram post still reads to me as intentionally airing other people's business without the true intention of support, regardless of any truth in his allegations (which, AGAIN, I am not disputing).

As someone already pointed out, i don't think JT' race and LK's race are the MOST significant factors here, but something to consider nonetheless when you approach a situation like this. If it were considered more, discussed more, if the conversation were normalized, we'd probably be in a much better position to start changing harmful perceptions and even behaviors. We'd have fewer babies crying about "thought control" when we suggest that hey, you might believe some fucked up things despite what your mother says about you. People might also understand it's not their fault, and even better, they can do things about it. We'd understand the difference between a race based bias and being a Nazi, and we wouldn't get our feathers so ruffled when someone mentions it.

I think you need to take JT’s dickk out ya mouth, ya reverse racist cuck
big texas cummer

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
  • Get bent
« Reply #137 on: September 17, 2021, 03:23:35 PM »
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Buttholesurfer

• Rep: 13
« Reply #138 on: September 17, 2021, 03:54:00 PM »
It’s hard to believe someone who spells “wich” wrong

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #139 on: September 17, 2021, 05:02:26 PM »
You want some queso?”

thomascandia

« Reply #140 on: September 19, 2021, 03:12:50 AM »
Basically posted a IG story exposing Jovantae (his current neighbor) of beating his wife in front of their kids on more than one occasion and even him trying to fight Liz. Shit sounds messy. I'm backing him on calling the law.

Lizard:" I live to the next door of a old pro skater..." ,  because Lizard is a younger pro skater instead.  Dinosaur King or  maybe Fossil King.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #141 on: September 21, 2021, 02:51:06 PM »
You want some queso?”

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #142 on: September 22, 2021, 04:41:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Didn't Rudy fight jovantae on an early girl tour because he stole from him?

Also I've probably never heard a story about a 90s pro that makes them sound like a half decent person
[close]

Karl Watson. Your argument is invalid.

That being said, fuck Tae if this is true. Makes me sad, he was a favorite of mine.
[close]

There are many stories of Karl being an annoying dick teenager who blossomed into a humble incredible man.
[close]

To be fair - most teenagers are dicks at some point, that and the man is probably mid 40s or so, that’s a looong time ago.

Also - I’ve always had a soft spot for Lizard for some reason, I think he’s natural love of skating shines through in his parts / interviews etc. He’s just a skate rat and I love that.
[close]
yeah he's never seemed like anything but a great dude who likes to have fun. a little bit crazy but I believe him.

look, karl watson is my 2nd skater favorite of all time, but let's be real - the 90s skate culture was top to bottom chock full of cancelable behaviour. take karl, probably the nicest dude in the game from the era - or any era. his part in the profile promo, literally starts with a shot of a girl getting upskirted. pretty fucking gross...

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #143 on: September 22, 2021, 05:10:30 AM »
You want some queso?”

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #144 on: September 22, 2021, 07:09:43 AM »
Tunrner

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #145 on: September 22, 2021, 07:10:31 AM »
Convenient thread bump with this Gabby Petito shit happening. This shit really happens folks.

donkey

• Rep: -65
  • donk
« Reply #146 on: September 22, 2021, 07:34:21 AM »
BREAKING: Slap Magazine has confirmed that Lizard King is a racist piece of shit asshole

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -454
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #147 on: September 22, 2021, 08:27:27 AM »
So, the accused is innocent until proven guilty if he’s a black man accused of domestic violence, but anybody at all accused of sexual assault we automatically have to believe they are guilty?

Not saying I agree or disagree with either of these, just pointing out the inconsistency in Slap logic here.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #148 on: September 22, 2021, 09:20:09 AM »
So, the accused is innocent until proven guilty if he’s a black man accused of domestic violence, but anybody at all accused of sexual assault we automatically have to believe they are guilty?

Not saying I agree or disagree with either of these, just pointing out the inconsistency in Slap logic here.
There’s way more nuance to it than just skin color. This is called critical thinking.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -454
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #149 on: September 22, 2021, 09:57:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
There’s way more nuance to it than just skin color. This is called critical thinking.
what’s the nuance then?

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs