Author Topic: Dave Mayhew | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 198  (Read 4664 times)

lazer69

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -95
Dave Mayhew | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 198
« on: September 13, 2021, 01:31:39 PM »

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
Re: Dave Mayhew | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 198
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 06:50:04 PM »
he sounds like a co-worker in an office job that you show a little attention too because you kind of feel sorry for him and he just tells you his life story

Monopolyman

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 07:30:39 PM »
Does he claim to have designed the D3?

Ghost Face

• Rep: 107
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 11:04:06 PM »
Does he claim to have designed the D3?

yep. He explained his design, over the phone, to the designer, Brian. Then got to the office a little while later and said "nah, change this first lace loop, add a toe cap". Then the D3 came out.

Seems fine to me.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 11:31:50 PM by Ghost Face »
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

HisNameIsntWarren

• Rep: 49
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 12:03:19 AM »
Man Chris was not vibing with him that was pretty uncomfortable at times. Dude completely checked out during the shop talk lol.

Didn’t think Brian Reid could be any scummier than how he looks but goddamn. Fuck that dude. Fuck Tony Mag and fuck Osiris. And big up to Gershon.

Welcome to the OC bitch! This is how it’s done in Orange County.

gub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 05:39:11 AM »
its 2021 and grown men are fighting over credit for designing the osiris d3
we can do better than this

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 05:46:20 AM »
But can they
listen to cosmic psychos

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 06:51:16 AM »
Man Chris was not vibing with him that was pretty uncomfortable at times. Dude completely checked out during the shop talk lol.

Didn’t think Brian Reid could be any scummier than how he looks but goddamn. Fuck that dude. Fuck Tony Mag and fuck Osiris. And big up to Gershon.

The last hour though, Chris had his back pretty hard... Calling people assholes, haha. Nice to hear the whole story, Mayhew's story definitely makes more sense than all the other shit that's been told.

Mayhew seems like a cool, honest dude... and he still rips. I don't care who designed the D3, but for they handled it later on, Osiris, Reid and Tony Mag fucking suck.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 07:12:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The last hour though, Chris had his back pretty hard... Calling people assholes, haha. Nice to hear the whole story, Mayhew's story definitely makes more sense than all the other shit that's been told.

Mayhew seems like a cool, honest dude... and he still rips. I don't care who designed the D3, but for they handled it later on, Osiris, Reid and Tony Mag fucking suck.

Any specific timestamp for shit to get interesting? Started so dry i can't go in again unsure

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 07:19:02 AM »
No thank Hew

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 08:32:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Any specific timestamp for shit to get interesting? Started so dry i can't go in again unsure

It's hard since they talk about the Osiris deal throughout the whole thing every here and there, but around 1:43:XX they start talking about what happened when they made the D3.

At 2:46:00ish he starts talking about suing Osiris for money scams and how T-Mag stole royalties and everything.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 09:12:55 AM by Deekay »

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2552
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 08:45:25 AM »
and how T-Mag stole royalties and everything.

Ugh... You know what they say, give T-mag a finger...and he'll still be missing one.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 10:24:25 AM »
Dave is a really great guy, he did a lot of genuine things for the Madison scene when he moved back. One thing that I do t think he talks about here is being involved with getting the skatepark built and he started vegan fest. It’s great to see him looking great and keeping motion and skating in his life with the family balance.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1168
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2021, 10:50:35 AM »
Any Business & Co. talk?
hardly art, hardly starving

ghanna3

• Rep: 0
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2021, 10:59:21 AM »
Expand Quote
and how T-Mag stole royalties and everything.
[close]

Ugh... You know what they say, give T-mag a finger...and he'll still be missing one.
This right here is gold

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 676
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2021, 11:18:01 AM »
Lol ok i think this whole "who invented the d3" thing is kind of wild

like seriously just look at it objectively for 2 seconds. obviously the brian reid guy was the one who drew it out etc. t mag was the guy with the money + knew a bit about production side of things aka how to deal with the factories in korea.

Dave Mayhew clearly does not have any educaation in making shoes or desigining or anything like that. if you watch the video where brian reid is crying about how asap rocky + dave made the "new d3" and dave is claiming as the designer... its just funny. its like man anyone with half a brain knows that dave mayhew was the skater and the guys at osiris did the acutal "Design work". Dave had a few stoner ideas im sure of what he wanted and he played his position and he signed those contracts. unless he actually got the pens out i dont really give a shit about what he told brian to make. everoyne played their role in the ddesign of it and i think its pretty easy to distinguish who was actually mentally capable of handling each aspect of it.

i odnt think anyone in the fashion world cares about 1. who had the idea of that shoe or 2. who drew it on a computer / made it into reality because it was an accident that thing ever sold in the first place. brian reid himself admits the only reason it ever got popular was because fred durst wore it during the MTV Music awards.

all of brian reids shoes look pretty shitty to me, he is super proud of a winners model osiris high top that is just a rip off dunk, and that etonic pro model he has is hilaroius, as if anyone gives a shit about that. d3s sucked. no one shuld be proud of that shit  ;D

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 676
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2021, 11:30:28 AM »
oooohh its extra greasy when you hear about how brian reid ever got into osiris in the first place. his dad completely hooked that up! he didnt even have any sort of formal training or anything... lol.

yeah this is always how it seems to happen man rich dads hooking people up. thats probably the only reason dave ever got on in the first place.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2021, 12:15:19 PM »
oooohh its extra greasy when you hear about how brian reid ever got into osiris in the first place. his dad completely hooked that up! he didnt even have any sort of formal training or anything... lol.

yeah this is always how it seems to happen man rich dads hooking people up. thats probably the only reason dave ever got on in the first place.
pretty fuckin dumb to start a company and not trademark the name. I don’t blame him, get in where you fit in. This was best nine club in a while I actually listened to the whole thing

ThisFuckingDude

• Rep: -11
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2021, 12:42:34 PM »
Tony Mag seems like the biggest scumbag in the world. I wonder who the h-street rider that came screaming for his check was. I’m sure whoever it was wouldn’t care if Dave said his name 30 years later unless it was someone that he personally doesn’t fuck with either. I feel bad dude skated his ass off but seemed like the industry just chewed him up. Good to see he’s in a good head space now after being fucked over so many times.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2021, 04:09:50 PM »

like seriously just look at it objectively for 2 seconds. obviously the brian reid guy was the one who drew it out etc. t mag was the guy with the money + knew a bit about production side of things aka how to deal with the factories in korea.

Dave Mayhew clearly does not have any educaation in making shoes or desigining or anything like that. if you watch the video where brian reid is crying about how asap rocky + dave made the "new d3" and dave is claiming as the designer... its just funny. its like man anyone with half a brain knows that dave mayhew was the skater and the guys at osiris did the acutal "Design work". Dave had a few stoner ideas im sure of what he wanted and he played his position and he signed those contracts. unless he actually got the pens out i dont really give a shit about what he told brian to make. everoyne played their role in the ddesign of it and i think its pretty easy to distinguish who was actually mentally capable of handling each aspect of it.

i odnt think anyone in the fashion world cares about 1. who had the idea of that shoe or 2. who drew it on a computer / made it into reality because it was an accident that thing ever sold in the first place. brian reid himself admits the only reason it ever got popular was because fred durst wore it during the MTV Music awards.

all of brian reids shoes look pretty shitty to me, he is super proud of a winners model osiris high top that is just a rip off dunk, and that etonic pro model he has is hilaroius, as if anyone gives a shit about that. d3s sucked. no one shuld be proud of that shit  ;D

Nah, seems pretty obvious they ripped Dave off, and he gives a pretty solid roadmap of how they did it.  Also, plenty of evidence of both TMag and Reid being lying scammers.  Sounds like Dave might not have the best social skills, but he doesn’t come off as a scammer. 

Between this and the D Way episode, I hope some of y’all get a better understanding of how the “core” skate industry really works.  Being small and pretending to operate out of good intentions gives these guys a lot of room to get away with ripping people off. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2021, 06:24:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nah, seems pretty obvious they ripped Dave off, and he gives a pretty solid roadmap of how they did it.  Also, plenty of evidence of both TMag and Reid being lying scammers.  Sounds like Dave might not have the best social skills, but he doesn’t come off as a scammer. 

Between this and the D Way episode, I hope some of y’all get a better understanding of how the “core” skate industry really works. Being small and pretending to operate out of good intentions gives these guys a lot of room to get away with ripping people off.

Ronnie Creager not having a formal contract and letting him go like a sack of bricks past his due date comes to mind.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • old and in the way
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2021, 06:48:19 PM »
No thank Hew

I was to watch the episode and this cracked me the fuck up. Thank you <3

douchenozzle

• Rep: 32
  • "I am the party"-DLR
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2021, 07:14:09 PM »
God damn! Dave is looking like Robocop without the helmet nowadays

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2021, 07:43:56 PM »
Lmfao!!!

ableSkateMag.com

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2021, 11:37:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Lmfao!!!

Haha fucking gold, gnarred.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2021, 11:46:16 PM »
Johnny Sins on the nine club. Didn't know he was also a pro skater. What an accomplished dude.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2021, 03:49:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Between this and the D Way episode, I hope some of y’all get a better understanding of how the “core” skate industry really works.  Being small and pretending to operate out of good intentions gives these guys a lot of room to get away with ripping people off.

Except they weren’t small at the time.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2021, 05:07:57 AM »
I was is SD for a while during the filming of Troubleshooters. I hung out and skated with that whole Ohio / Wisconsin crew, mainly Chad Knight, Coyne, Scott Pazelt and those dudes but pretty much met them all on sessions and parties (I'm on the "thanks" list in the credits, ha!, some claim to fame there). I saw Mayhew around all the time but didn't really mesh with him, he seemed kind of reserved. Or maybe it felt like that since most of the other dudes were super out going and easy to get along with.

This was an interesting episode, no tip-toeing around here. He got fucked with the whole Osiris thing and I believe his side of the story is closer to accurate.

Definitely some awkward moments there though, how weird is it to say, "I don't drink coffee" when someone is giving you a coffee mug as a present.

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2021, 07:40:59 AM »

Invention and designer credit.  Completely different things.   No shoe is "invented" unless your a cobbler from 1852.   Mayhew talked about his going to school for design and knowing illustrator prior.  He also talks about NOT being a stoner as to why he didn't join 101.

When Dave stated he stopped wearing them at the first wave of popularity did that state that he was proud of it?  He laughs at the whole situation in the end with the Aesop Rocky silliness and Brian Reid getting all worked up about it.     Its interesting you feel Dave only had an in through Reid as if he should almost be thankful for being ripped off by him (and Mag) later.

I'm not going to change your mind on much but I think I watched different podcast than you did. 

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2021, 07:41:33 AM »