Author Topic: Dave Mayhew | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 198  (Read 4666 times)

DISTANT RUMOURS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 398
Re: Dave Mayhew | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 198
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2021, 02:29:59 PM »
This one was one of the first episodes where they actually dug deeper and “exposed” the shady stuff in skateboarding.

Respect, and I’m very happy they didn’t cover it up “with a blanket of love” again.

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2021, 03:31:28 PM »
The way I see it is, Dave had the idea for the main design features the huge loops and massiveness of the shoe with booth inspiration and he relayed that to Reid, and Reid is the one with the designer job title and CAD skills, so he made it come to life and added some of his design details.

They both deserve credit. However, Osiris is still pumping them out, and Dave isnt getting a thing which is scummy imo.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2021, 03:55:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
God damn! Dave is looking like Robocop without the helmet nowadays
[close]
Lmfao!!!

[close]
Haha fucking gold, gnarred.

LOL - Holy shit! Haha

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2021, 04:17:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Lmfao!!!

[close]
Haha fucking gold, gnarred.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2021, 04:39:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Lmfao!!!

Haven't listen to a full 9 Club in awhile since this and the Dway episodes. Great stories on both episodes.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2021, 05:43:11 PM »
Shiny head bald people scare the shit out of me.  My lady had cancer and lost her hair. She is the only bald person I have been comfortable around. I have a problem.  Also respect on Dave shouting out Cory Peterson.  MN legend

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2021, 09:05:49 PM »
it got so awkward at the end when chris was asking him for shoes hahaha. he’s like “uhhh i’m sure you can find them online...” good episode though, honestly found this one more interesting than d way or pastras.

side note : the deck behind chris in the last few experience episodes has been the natas “boom!” board... foreshadowing possibly for #200?

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2021, 01:50:05 AM »
Shiny head bald people scare the shit out of me.  My lady had cancer and lost her hair. She is the only bald person I have been comfortable around. I have a problem.  Also respect on Dave shouting out Cory Peterson.  MN legend

Yeah - you’re a judgmental jerk.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 676
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2021, 08:35:31 AM »
i am just watching the episode now i just had time to view a quick snippet before about the d3 thats how i saw brian's dad was the only reason that he even got involved in the first place.

oh, i also dont disagree Dave was ripped off or anything like that.

I am just saying like these guys didnt re-invent the wheel or nothing i think as someone else pointed out. like Dave wasnt in the lab drawing it on the computer - is that not the job of the "designer" in this sense? thats all im saying. maybe he did possess the skills but he wasnt the one to do it. and im sure he had an idea of what he wnated the shoe to be like and thats fair he deserves to be paid for that influence. and I do like how Dave even points out a few times that Brian himself said "you did a great job on this design" he clearly had influence on it. i dont think anyone thought that Dave was on the computer drawing the shit up like no pro skater would ever be the one to do that obvously.

as far as calling him a stoner etc. i just call everyone a stoner who skateboards, 99% of the time i am right  ;D

i dont mean to give any discredit to dave or anything i just htink its funny anyone would be like yo this guy is shoe designer god after making the d3 - i also think its pretty silly of brian reid to think that he is shoe god cause of that too. he looks weak in the situation like grown man crying going out and making a video just to rip up dave etc. you can see in the youtube comments too of the vice video its all people trying to tear up dave!! they are like" that guy sounds like he couldnt design a grocery list"

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2021, 08:57:22 AM »
Shout outs I enjoyed.

Mike Muckler.  I remember giving him a board once after he broke his.  Seemed like a madman.  Fun to skate with.

Johnny Fonseca.  Genuinely, one of my favorite humans from back then.

Dave Leroux.   Top 5 vert skaters of all time.  Learned a dozen or more tricks from him in a couple of sessions.

Rotation Station.  Release the footage Dave.

I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2021, 01:23:13 PM »
I’m only halfway through, but I really hope they get Cliver on the show. Of all the people who made it out of Wisconsin, I’m sure he’s got the most interesting stories.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2021, 06:23:34 AM »
Any Business & Co. talk?

I had hoped to learn some about that too as I was hyped on B & C when Mayhew was going to be involved. Early Enjoi - I am a huge fan of.

Side note: I've talked to Dave a few times on IG (DM'ed him like a fucking man!) and he was super nice and stuff. All respect to this dude. Always liked his skating - especially nosegrind - nollie flip out looked neat to me

Had a chat with him about truck madness and smaller boards. He said he uses 7.75s with Krux and 50mm
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 06:39:30 AM by ok boomer »

kilgoret

• Rep: -35
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2021, 12:46:30 AM »
finally listening to this now and it's a good listen. he definitely comes off as a reserved person but that's not a bad thing. loved the talk about not needing to release old footage and keeping it for himself vs fake likes and approval. also loved all the shitting on the swoosh talk. that same bullshit happened to my shop. fucking despise the swoosh because of it, so it was cool to hear it from him as well.

on a side note, it's so funny how the swoosh got people so insane and thirsty for 'dunks' again. there was a time you could barely give those shits away after the initial original hype. amazing marketing. you gotta give it to that satanic fucked up company.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2021, 01:21:35 AM »
chris so desperately trying to usher things along is extremely entertaining in a sad way. super boring episode until the d3 stuff, but strong finish
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2021, 01:06:39 PM »

Rotation Station.  Release the footage Dave.

I second this.   Lots of time spent there as a kiddo.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2021, 03:24:22 PM »
You can only have so many things “happen” to you in the world. At some point you have to take a good look at yourself and figure out why this is happening.

I listened to dunes ep after this. He talks about when he became the osiris tm and had to revamp the team. All the niners were on board saying it was a great move and saved the company. Also discussed that mayhew didn’t design the D3.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2021, 09:08:56 PM »
he sounds like a co-worker in an office job that you show a little attention too because you kind of feel sorry for him and he just tells you his life story
God his fucking thumbnail face alone is already screaming this