Author Topic: Backside Nollie tricks and Nollie Nosegrinds on a ledge  (Read 935 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1920
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Backside Nollie tricks and Nollie Nosegrinds on a ledge
« on: December 29, 2021, 11:07:38 PM »
Trying to increase my bag of Nollie ledge tricks, have the FS basics down (Tailslide, Lipslide, 50-50, 5-0). I can get away but just stomping down and hauling my body up onto the ledge.

But BS Nollie tricks have eluded me and I have no idea how to get into them, given the combination of rolling blindside, not being able to gauge distance and a mediocre Nollie.

The list of tricks I want to work on are:
FS Nollie Nosegrind / Noseslide
BS Nollie 50-50 / 5-0 / Tailslide / Lipslide / Noseslide

Appreciate any tips, thanks!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
Re: Backside Nollie tricks and Nollie Nosegrinds on a ledge
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 12:17:00 AM »
FS Nollie Nosegrind: This one is pretty intuitive on a small ledge. If you can nollie fs 5050 it very comfortably, do the same thing, but keep your weight a little more over the nose before you're about to get in and put some weight on your front foot. Once you're in, balance like a nosemanual and pop out. For some reason, I find it much easier to get a nice pop out of these than a regular fs nosegrind.

FS Nollie Noseslide: Go at slight angle, do a straight nollie at the ledge and then turn slightly (late and not too much) and you'll lock in. If you're sticking, then you're either turning the board too much, not pushing on your front toe, or your body is too twisted causing the nose to jam. Keep in mind the fact that you only really need to turn about 45 degrees, not a full 90. If you're sliding and shooting out, just lean into it a little less, or turn less. It may also help to imagine doing a nollie front crook but missing your truck, that sometimes works for me.

BS Nollie 5-0: This one is much easier than a nollie bs 5050. Roll up to the ledge at slight angle, look at the ledge. As soon as you pop, turn your head and look at your back foot which should have slid to the tail already and put it down onto the coping. It'll require a shift of your centre of gravity from the front/middle of your board to the tail end but its no different to a nollie fs 5-0 in that regard. The only tricky thing is rolling up, popping and then instantly turning your head to look at your back foot so that you can aim the truck.

BS Nollie 50-50: Once you can nollie back 5-0 you can just cheat by doing that and putting your front truck down. But to do it properly its a bit harder. Its a lot of commitment. Going faster, popping earlier and making sure you level out the nollie so both the front and back truck are high enough before locking in is pretty important. Like the 5-0, you also roll up looking at the ledge but as soon as you pop, you'll want to square off your head n shoulders so that they're parallel with the ledge.

BS Nollie Noseslide: Might help to practice this one but just going straight at the ledge and nollieing into nosestall, then gradually decrease the angle. Gotta go fast and pop really early. Make sure you level out the nollie. The general tips at the bottom apply especially to this one.

BS Nollie Lipslide: On a low enough ledge this is pretty much a kickturn. Upper body motion is pretty much the same as the nollie back 5-0, but obviously gotta whip the legs around a bit more.

BS Nollie Tailslide: Upper body motion is the same as the nollie back lip, but like the nollie back 5-0 you want to shift your weight from the front/centre of the board to the tail as soon as possible before you aim your tail onto the ledge. I guess it's kind of a nollie back 5-0 and nollie back lip combined, though neither of those are necessarily a prerequisite.

General: For most of these tricks you'll want your front foot in the heel side pocket of the nose, sometimes it helps to point it forward a bit. If its a nollie trick that involves getting the nose over the ledge (noseslides, nosegrinds, 5050s), make sure you don't keep your weight fully over the nose the whole time, or the nose won't come up high enough since your whole body is over it. A common symptom is the nose hitting the ledge on the way up and not making it on top of the ledge. A bit of see saw motion from leveling out your nollie is necessary. Rocket nollies won't cut it.

As long as the ledge is a reasonable height, the nollie in shouldn't feel like a heavy brute force effort, but rather a light, nicely timed pop. Be conscientious of leveling out the nollie with your back foot and lifting your front foot up into the air while keeping your weight off of the nose so that the nose can actually come up before you get into the trick.

dr.prestige

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 11:17:13 AM »
For nollie noseslide it helps to start off by rolling at the curb perpendicular to it, then nollieing to nose stall. After you've gotten the feel for it and figured out the timing so you don't hit your nose on the curb, start coming at it at more of an angle, eventually you'll start sliding them. Once you've gotten them comfortable, the next step is taking it to something higher than a curb, but I have a shit nollie so I haven't gotten to that part yet. This same technique works for fakie tails as well, which I find much easier on higher stuff.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 11:25:17 PM »
@tzhangdox - thanks for the write up, closest I got was Nollie BS Tailslide, still getting the timing for the pop, drag and shifting my weight onto the ledge.

@dr.prestige - treat it like learning like a noseslide as a beginner, straight on and gradually decreasing the angle of approach
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

commie

• Rep: 17
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 08:10:47 PM »
For nollie nosegrinds and noseslides I tend to put more emphasis on dragging my back foot to level out the board and get that nose up there.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 08:52:56 PM »
You forgot nollie crooks backside is easier than the 50 50.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 07:41:55 PM »
Thanks @tzhangdox - got the Nollie BS Tail on a low ledge, took a while to get the timing of the pop and shifting / committing my weight to the tail, once I did it felt much easier than a regular BS Tailslide.

Haven't got the rest of them, I'll work on Nollie Lipslide or 5-0 first.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 10:35:14 PM »
Thanks @tzhangdox - got the Nollie BS Tail on a low ledge, took a while to get the timing of the pop and shifting / committing my weight to the tail, once I did it felt much easier than a regular BS Tailslide.

Haven't got the rest of them, I'll work on Nollie Lipslide or 5-0 first.

Nice. Nollie fs nosegrinds and nollie bs noseslides work well on low ledges too. Most people actually find nollie tails easier on higher ledges, harder to overshoot.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 11:32:26 PM »
You can kind of cheat nollie 5050 and 5-0 if you just like pop just high enough to get the back truck on almost kinda Smith for a second and lever your board up into 5050 or 5-0.
After doing it like that for a little bit you'll basically be able to do it without the middle bit/properly.
Also always easier on a little ledge or curb.