Author Topic: How do I make learning nollie and switch tricks fun?  (Read 1633 times)

Spirit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -20
  • Personal Text
How do I make learning nollie and switch tricks fun?
« on: September 14, 2021, 04:18:17 AM »
I can skate regular pretty well, can hardflip, bigflip, can pull shit like double varial flips out of my ass but I can't help but get bored when trying to learn nollie and switch.
Any recs?

My shoes might be torn to shreds and I might not have money for a new pair

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
Re: How do I make learning nollie and switch tricks fun?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 10:22:03 AM »
Just gotta start by finding what's fun to do switch. I started by just cruising switch, then I found that nollie/switch heels felt more fun than regular and switch frontshuvs feel different but sick. Practicing those got me more comfortable in those stances overall so now I'm working on switch grinds and transition tricks.

It really depends on your goals though. Just start with something basic and branch from there.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 10:52:56 AM »
Not sure if it's what you want but learn regular tricks that use the nose or end up in switch eg nosemanual, nose slide, nose grind, noseblunt, 180 switch Manny type stuff. Then once you have those try nollie/switch tricks out.

I'd never take the time to really learn all the  nollie flip tricks. I don't have the patience but out of a nosemanual or slide it's a bit more fun. At least you get to nosemanual or slide for a bit before each attempt.

Spirit

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 02:38:21 PM »
Just gotta start by finding what's fun to do switch. I started by just cruising switch, then I found that nollie/switch heels felt more fun than regular and switch frontshuvs feel different but sick. Practicing those got me more comfortable in those stances overall so now I'm working on switch grinds and transition tricks.

It really depends on your goals though. Just start with something basic and branch from there.
Not sure if it's what you want but learn regular tricks that use the nose or end up in switch eg nosemanual, nose slide, nose grind, noseblunt, 180 switch Manny type stuff. Then once you have those try nollie/switch tricks out.

I'd never take the time to really learn all the  nollie flip tricks. I don't have the patience but out of a nosemanual or slide it's a bit more fun. At least you get to nosemanual or slide for a bit before each attempt.

Thanks a bunch!

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 02:57:52 PM »
Cruise around switch as much as you possibly can. Its embarassing and sucks ass at first but if you keep doing it it'll slowly become very familiar and comfortable. Its also not like you're repeatedly bailing a trick and not landing anything, you just start off clumsy and it gets easier with repetition.

In terms of tricks, just focus on getting good switch ollies, 180s, nollie 180s etc up and down curbs, then little ledges. If switch flip tricks feel close, put some time into it.

Personally once I was comfortable rolling switch and had a good switch ollie I found it much easier to learn switch ledge/rail tricks than flip tricks. You only need one or two to open the floodgates, I'd say some good ones to start with are sw fs/bs noseslides, then sw crook if you can sw bs noseslide, sw fs 5050 and 5-0 on very small ledges, and sw boardslides both ways on flatbars.

A lot of switch ledge tricks you can really think of it as a switch ollie into a grind/slide you already know how to do. For example, if you can back tail fakie, or fakie ollie in, a switch front nose is simply a slightly different way of ollieing into the same slide. If you can fakie frontside nosegrind, a sw fs 5-0 is just a different way of getting into that. Might make it mentally easier.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 03:13:54 PM »
You don't have to make it fun, it's fun. Soon you'll be able to feel comfortable regardless of the stance you end up mid-line and have a greater range of maneuvers to just improvise and throw, that should be motivational in itself. The worst thing you can do to your progression is mythifying stances and making things feel out of reach to yourself, when in reality a trick is a trick and while some may take more conditioning than most if you're not used to certain basic motions, there's no reason why you couldn't be as good at one as you are at another, then you just need to want it hard enough. Especially if you already know how to do a trick regs - that means you in fact do know exactly what to do and just need to focus on physically refining your movement, which should be simple unless you've convinced yourself that it would be a challenge.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 06:40:06 PM »
I can skate regular pretty well, can hardflip, bigflip, can pull shit like double varial flips out of my ass but I can't help but get bored when trying to learn nollie and switch.
Any recs?

My shoes might be torn to shreds and I might not have money for a new pair

If you’re not having fun with them why even bother?

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 07:58:15 PM »
Just think, this 47 year old with switch skills could take you out in a game of skate with the basics. I'd probably do a switch one foot for your last letter. It's taken out a lot of kids.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 08:29:26 PM »
Whenever I have a hard time learning new tricks, I try to throw them in the middle of a line once I have the fundamentals down. That always makes it fun for me. Toss a 180 in the middle of a line and go to town my guy

*Edit for spelling
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 11:04:59 PM by FatGuy92 »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 08:45:45 PM »
Work on the basics as part of your warm up.
Regular / Fakie / Switch / Nollie
Shoves, Ollies, 180s, Flips if you're frisky

I skate a lot of ledges and had lots of fun learning basics.
SW 50-50 and Noseslides
Nollie 50-50 / 5-0 - you already have the weight distribution, just need to haul your ass on there with a nice Nollie.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Spirit

• Personal Text
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 05:49:47 AM »
Cruise around switch as much as you possibly can. Its embarassing and sucks ass at first but if you keep doing it it'll slowly become very familiar and comfortable. Its also not like you're repeatedly bailing a trick and not landing anything, you just start off clumsy and it gets easier with repetition...
The rolling is strangely difficult. The worst injury I had in like half a year was on a switch fs kickturn on a radius. The getting easier with repetition part really helps, but as of right now I am fighting the fact that I don't want to look like an idiot (although rolling around awkwardly and then busting out a tre might be really fun). I'm in a different city than I grew up in and the locals are pretty cliquy so I didn't really manage to become a part of anything.
I am not really the greatest ledge skater and I am also pretty railtarded so I think I'll stick to flip tricks from now on, but I think the noseslides might be pretty possible. Thanks mate!

You don't have to make it fun, it's fun. Soon you'll be able to feel comfortable regardless of the stance you end up mid-line and have a greater range of maneuvers to just improvise and throw, that should be motivational in itself...
The issue is that getting through the start to the point where it's fun is very very not fun. I can sw ollie, sw FS shuv and probably sw fs 180 but I think that's just... Naturally easy for me? I can't for the love of god figure out how to pop with my right foot and it's driving me nuts (goofy).
Taking all of this into consideration though, the "in fact do know exactly what to do and just need to focus on physically refining your movement" kinda opened my eyes. I know how to do it. This helped a lot.

Just think, this 47 year old with switch skills could take you out in a game of skate with the basics. I'd probably do a switch one foot for your last letter. It's taken out a lot of kids.
This has happened to me. Although the final two letters were a switch press flip and a switch toeflip. I think that was payback for the dolphin I set. One of the reasons why I want to learn switch better is to expand on my tricks and bust out a random switch flip while my homies back at home think I can't.

Whenever I have a hard time learning new tricks, I try to throw them in the middle of a line once I have the fundamentals down. That always makes it fun for me. Toss a 180 in the middle of a line and go to town my guy
That's a great idea. I did it with switch fs shuvs but then I ate shit and got scared. Will try again today.

Work on the basics as part of your warm up.
Regular / Fakie / Switch / Nollie
Shoves, Ollies, 180s, Flips if you're frisky...
A lot of people pointed out to me that I don't warm up with basics. Do you think it's a preference? I usually go for shuvs, kickflips, varial flips, fakie bigspins and fakie bigflips because I won't tear a tendon on those and they come easy to me.
Now when I think about it, my bs 180s are still fucking horrendous so I think I'll start with basics today. Will add nollie and switch too. Need to build it up progressively.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2021, 07:46:57 AM »
This summer I did a little experiment I only skated switch for about a month. I didn't lose any of my regular tricks or suffer any diminution of my ability to perform them, My switch tricks improved greatly, My overall comfort on the board improved greatly.

I would recommend that you try this experiment not just a day of skating switch but commit to it for like a week or a couple of weeks this will greatly help you.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 299
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2021, 10:43:31 AM »
Like what others have said, getting used to cruising around switch does wonders. Spend a good amount of time doing that and it'll make learning tricks a lot easier because your body won't be so unaccustomed to facing that direction. Next time you're out to grab lunch or go to the grocery store or something, ride there switch. Crack your tail up some curbs. Pretend you're new to skating, because when you're skating switch you kind of are starting from scratch with your muscles. I got used to riding around switch when I broke the ankle on my pushing leg, and had to ride a knee scooter around for a couple months using my other leg to push around. That thing got my switch push super confident.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

backone

• Rep: 8
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2021, 08:19:03 AM »
sprain your front ankle, that's what helped me

sKINGraft

• Rep: 28
  • space doo-doo pistols
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2021, 10:26:19 AM »
Other than skating around switch as much as possible the only advice I’ve not seen mentioned here is to try do the same thing you’d do for an Ollie one foot and it should just end up tweaking the nose out instead.

My switch Ollie and nollies sucked until I did this and now they bone more than my regular ones

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2021, 11:20:08 AM »
I used to love to nollie up curbs. I don't think I could nollie a penny now

switchfakie

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2022, 01:47:26 PM »
skip practicing nollie and switch on flat and go straight to doing tricks up and down curbs and ledges. that's how i make it interesting

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2022, 05:34:31 PM »
skip practicing nollie and switch on flat and go straight to doing tricks up and down curbs and ledges. that's how i make it interesting

I agree with this, my switch flatground game is ass but I got a consistent pool of Nollie ledge tricks. I used to tell myself I needed a solid Nollie and Switch before I even began attempting these tricks, but just trying the Nollie / Switch variations proved otherwise since the grind / slide motion is already ingrained. The hardest part is getting the timing of the pop / drag and learning to bail switch since you'll be landing in alternate stance.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Spirit

• Personal Text
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2022, 03:45:09 AM »

That actually sounds great. I will try that out once my knee is 100%. Thanks a bunch!

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2022, 03:46:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That actually sounds great. I will try that out once my knee is 100%. Thanks a bunch!

I find this incredibly hard. I got decent nollies and a few nollie shoves, a mediocre switch ollie and pop shuv but doing any of that stuff up a curb is beyond me.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

unregisteredhypercam2

• Rep: 6
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2022, 07:24:50 AM »
if you skate with friends and all together only skate switch/nollie for one hour it is a lot of fun