Author Topic: Why can't I wrap my impossibles?  (Read 1779 times)

fakie varial flip

Why can't I wrap my impossibles?
« on: September 15, 2021, 07:55:08 PM »
So I can 360 flip and cheat a back 360. I can get the pop and the beginning of the wrap for an impossible, but it stays under me like an off axis 360 shuv. I am really not sure why I can't get the board to wrap my back foot, since I obviously have the scoop and "pop" for the impossible down. I know the foot placement, I know to throw my front foot forward/sideways off the board, I know to pop diagonally through the board. Somehow I just cannot get the wrap scooping forward. Any tips?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 08:02:13 PM by fakie varial flip »

Frank and Fred

Re: Why can't I wrap my impossibles?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 09:02:29 AM »
I don't know why but impossibles seem to wrap way better when your front foot is way up on the nose as you pop. Looks ugly as sin when you are setting up but they just seem to roll around your back foot better that way...

fakie varial flip

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 09:23:03 AM »
I don't know why but impossibles seem to wrap way better when your front foot is way up on the nose as you pop. Looks ugly as sin when you are setting up but they just seem to roll around your back foot better that way...

Going to try that today, then. I have my front foot behind the front bolts as of now - you know what actually I wonder if that's what stabilizes the board instead of letting it go vertical, good look

FatGuy92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 12:48:58 AM »

That's the old school way that Templeton and Ellington do their impossibles. The last BATB with CRob vs Mike Mo, CRob does one like that and the camera gets a pretty good angle on it. Agree that it wraps easier that way though I can't get them down proper. No clue how dudes impossible over things that is so nuts to me

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 04:14:56 AM »
I'd recommend taking a video of yourself trying from different angles then compare to whichever skater does your favorite impossible. Just compare and see what motions you're missing. To me it sounds like you aren't getting fully under the board.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 09:01:22 AM »
I don’t have them by any means. I land on some then slip out. Or front foot lands in front of nose or I land heavy on nose snd it lands like a snow plow. But anyway. For what it’s worth what I do is front foot angled like a kick flip an inch or so below the heel side bolt. Back foot all up in the toe side pocket  snd I kinda point it slightly forward. Almost all my weight over back foot. Kinda build some pressure in it  so when you lift your front foot and pop  it wants to Judy go pop down and kinda turn your foot up like your looking at gum on the bottom if your shoe and raise back leg up to your body. Sorry if this is wrote like shit. I’m at work trying be sneaky.

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 10:04:43 AM »
For what it’s worth, this trick tip helped me a while back.
0:47 is when he gets into it.
https://youtu.be/Mkw4aiTPNjo

fakie varial flip

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 10:35:06 AM »
I'd recommend taking a video of yourself trying from different angles then compare to whichever skater does your favorite impossible. Just compare and see what motions you're missing. To me it sounds like you aren't getting fully under the board.

You're right that I'm not getting fully under the board. I'm certain that's my problem as well, but I'm unsure if just a stronger scoop would do it, different foot positioning, or whatever else.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 10:36:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's the old school way that Templeton and Ellington do their impossibles. The last BATB with CRob vs Mike Mo, CRob does one like that and the camera gets a pretty good angle on it. Agree that it wraps easier that way though I can't get them down proper. No clue how dudes impossible over things that is so nuts to me

I'm going to rewatch this for sure. The Templeton/Ellington impossible is exactly what I want.

I have been trying moving my foot up and it definitely helps with getting the board more vertical, so I need to play around with it more. It does seem like I'll have to change the angle that I'm jumping through the board/ "pop"ing with to accomodate, but it (finally) doesn't just look like a back foot dominant 3shuv when I do that

fakie varial flip

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 10:40:31 AM »
I don’t have them by any means. I land on some then slip out. Or front foot lands in front of nose or I land heavy on nose snd it lands like a snow plow. But anyway. For what it’s worth what I do is front foot angled like a kick flip an inch or so below the heel side bolt. Back foot all up in the toe side pocket  snd I kinda point it slightly forward. Almost all my weight over back foot. Kinda build some pressure in it  so when you lift your front foot and pop  it wants to Judy go pop down and kinda turn your foot up like your looking at gum on the bottom if your shoe and raise back leg up to your body. Sorry if this is wrote like shit. I’m at work trying be sneaky.

Regarding the first bolded part - I think I need to look more at my videos and see if I am in fact leaning forward, that's really helpful. I'm guilty of this on 360 flips and 5050s and I did not think about weight distribution at all.

Regarding the second - I've been trying to sort of ninja kick out, so i'll have to play around with hiking my knee up more. This could possibly fix me having trouble with putting my front foot farther up.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 10:41:11 AM »
For what it’s worth, this trick tip helped me a while back.
0:47 is when he gets into it.
https://youtu.be/Mkw4aiTPNjo

Have never seen this one, this is way more helpful than the others I've watched. Good looks on that!

dime a dozen trend skater

• Rep: 6
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 11:37:38 PM »
I lift my front foot off the board like a fraction of a second before I start to scoop it, I find you get a much more vertical wrap that way.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2021, 11:40:19 PM »
It's not a scoop like a 3 flip at all....it's more of a stir....practice the no comply ie and scooping your back foot more vertically.....

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2021, 09:49:19 AM »
Put your back foot in the pocket and dangle your toes off the side. Let the board point a little bit to the side and straighten out with the catch.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2021, 03:36:36 PM »
If you can do backside no complys or scooped backside 180s(not the popped then turn ones) it’s the same motion with your back foot. If that helps at all.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2021, 05:41:06 PM »
Bringing my shoe up as if i'm looking at gum on the sole has helped the most so far. I'm going to have to work on scooping it better - I do have bs no comply sometimes and I can only scoop my bs 180s (have always sucked at the tweaked ones), so I do understand that scoop. I'm also going to try lifting my front foot off a little earlier - putting it farther up the board hasn't worked for me so far.

Again, thanks for all the help everyone.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2021, 10:51:59 PM »
This trick works well for me when my board is razor'd....sounds dumb but....wax your tail....I recall seeing a pic of Dylan with his board worn in half from what I presume....impossibles...it's a draggy trick...

fakie varial flip

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2021, 10:12:42 AM »
This trick works well for me when my board is razor'd....sounds dumb but....wax your tail....I recall seeing a pic of Dylan with his board worn in half from what I presume....impossibles...it's a draggy trick...

Ha! It's new deck time for me anyway so I ordered an Alien (coming off a Baker) to see if the additional steepness will help. My shitty almost-impossible-but-really-360shuvs have razored the shit out of my tail. Waxing it is an awesome idea

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 299
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2021, 10:36:51 AM »
The skinnier your board is or the longer your foot the more easy it will be to wrap them. When I'm about to try impossibles I take my front foot off and try to get a good wrap motion stationary with my back foot, and then after I've gotten 2 or 3 good wraps where I can feel it sticking to my foot all the way around then I give it an actual try, as the only difference is that you have to get your front foot off the board and out of the way while you're popping. If you're having trouble wrapping try putting the toes of your back foot closer to the heel side of your tail kind of like how you would put your foot for a front shove or a front 180.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2021, 09:38:32 AM »
I really like AWS boards (the 8.25 at least). If you feel comfortable you could post a video of some of your attempts which might help figuring out why you're getting a 360 shuv. It's a weird trick to learn but getting them down and doing them over stuff is so satisfying.

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -375
  • ants suck!
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2021, 11:27:59 AM »
Good imppssibles are a gift, amd you cant wrap a gift you dont have yet...
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

goingapelikenigo

• Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2021, 01:03:29 AM »
it helps me thinking about letting my back foot stay on the ground for a bit longer than i'm comfortable with and then focusing on pulling it up with the top of my foot.

dime a dozen trend skater

• Rep: 6
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2021, 08:57:32 PM »
Another tip I have is just practicing doing them with the front foot off the board. If you can get a complete vertical wrap that way do the same motion and weight distribution with both feet on the board and it should wrap. Sometimes I have to "recalibrate" my impossible's if they aren't wrapping or going behind me if you get a good feel for them with one foot it helps a lot. You don't really pop or scoop these either I hang my toes completely off and sort of stomp down off the ball of my foot if I try to scoop with my toes like a 3 flip you just get a shitty 3 shuv.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2021, 09:49:25 PM »
A million years ago I remember learning them and the key was when I got the right amount of lift on my back foot, then I found they'd whip around and I could get them kinda high & they'd just lock into my front foot.  Doubt that weird description would help though

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2021, 06:57:15 AM »
Yeah when you watch Dylan do it over the bench....when his tail hits it kinda skids so you wonder how he's gonna get over anything,  but the he just lifts his leg up to his abdomen and he's levitating.....

fakie varial flip

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2021, 04:53:04 PM »
A million years ago I remember learning them and the key was when I got the right amount of lift on my back foot, then I found they'd whip around and I could get them kinda high & they'd just lock into my front foot.  Doubt that weird description would help though

I'm sure the back foot lift is my problem. I've still had no luck and they've turned more into 360 shuvits now, so... maybe its time to give up and admit I'm doing 3shuvs and be happy with that

I can still get a full dylan-style impossible when just using the back foot with my front foot off the board, so I can tell that my back foot is just refusing to work when I try to do it with my front foot on the board. Maybe my foot too dumb

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2021, 09:29:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm sure the back foot lift is my problem. I've still had no luck and they've turned more into 360 shuvits now, so... maybe its time to give up and admit I'm doing 3shuvs and be happy with that

I can still get a full dylan-style impossible when just using the back foot with my front foot off the board, so I can tell that my back foot is just refusing to work when I try to do it with my front foot on the board. Maybe my foot too dumb

Could also be back foot placement. In general you really shouldn't think of that trick as a pop shove variation at all, ideally you want zero diagonal motion at all and the nose to spring straight up and the board to go end over end from the sudden shift of all your weight on the tail after you release the tension from your front foot, like a catapult (I keep making that analogy in those threads but it's just the best one I can think of).

Certainly don't set up like you would for a pop shove or 360 shove - back foot has to cover the entire width of your tail, perpendicular to board length and with the inside lodged inside the spoon (where the concave starts - not sure if universal but outdated, or just 100% local term). Shoulders should be facing your nose and open towards the direction you're going. Then front foot action is non-existent, you just lift that front leg up for as much of a vertical downwards pop as you can manage, do the wrap (should be comfortable from the aforementioned back foot positioning) and then bring it back down for the catch. Sometimes before popping that trick, I look down at my front truck and imagine that I want to drive my back truck through exactly that axis, and then scrape my tail across the way there using the whole of my sole.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2021, 02:26:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Let’s get real, no one is doing Dylan style impossibles
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2021, 11:27:12 PM »
To confuse you more....it's sort of a pressure based trick....Impossible you really load up your back toe in the pocket....weight is super far back....front foot gets super light....then when you pop foot gets out of the way...