Author Topic: New trick drought... how do you push through it?  (Read 2553 times)

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 18
Re: New trick drought... how do you push through it?
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2022, 08:06:17 PM »
I have this problem from time to time also, most of my actual friends no longer skate seriously or at all really haha  I like to watch Local or homie vids on YouTube to get ideas or I’ll just start trying to put my trucks together in a line like a lot of other people said. I feel like when I start trying to link all my trucks together I get into a bit of a flow and that’s usually when I get an idea for something that would work. Mini ramps are always good for new tricks too.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2022, 04:03:36 PM »
I’m just concerned with the problem that I get to skate so irregularly that I’ve lost my legs entirely between sessions and basically have to relearn the dead basics for a week

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 716
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2022, 07:17:05 PM »
I hit a progression drought for a while and what’s helped me move past it has been a) skating by myself more b) going into a solo skate session with a specific trick at a specific spot in mind c) filming said trick in an attempt to motivate myself and produce something to create a sense of accomplishment. 

I know I’m not going to psychotically throw myself at the same obstacle trying to learn something new for 45 mins straight in a skatepark full of strangers (or waste my friends’ time trying to film something new like that) so I really appreciate the no pressure, calm atmosphere of working on new tricks solo. 

Doing an existing trick on a new spot or obstacle is kind of a different story though. 

Dimitrov

• Rep: -2
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2022, 08:22:38 PM »
Games of skate

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2022, 08:45:25 PM »
I hit a progression drought for a while and what’s helped me move past it has been a) skating by myself more b) going into a solo skate session with a specific trick at a specific spot in mind c) filming said trick in an attempt to motivate myself and produce something to create a sense of accomplishment. 

I know I’m not going to psychotically throw myself at the same obstacle trying to learn something new for 45 mins straight in a skatepark full of strangers (or waste my friends’ time trying to film something new like that) so I really appreciate the no pressure, calm atmosphere of working on new tricks solo.

Exactly what I've been doing and why I've been doing it, minus my planning aspect is different, for from experience I've observed skateboarding and planning (tricks in particular) never quite works out exactly as intended and then at the end of the day you've just limited the scope of the session to yourself. I do have set ideas for set tricks (who doesn't always) but what I do pick for my days is just a general area of the city to skate, so for instance I'll psych myself on going to skate this or that particular neighborhood (with a general idea of what exactly is there, but specifically kept only so vague in the moment) and then I basically just see what happens. I've learned that there are days for, and not for, certain specific spots and tricks and there's little point in forcing that. Usually - as expected - the day never goes as planned, I end up going with the flow, usually getting a clip or two of the kind that just couldn't be premeditated (e.g.. when you run into an ephemeral spot), and sometimes one of the tricks I had been thinking about for a long time but naturally and as a bonus. It's pretty great too because then you sort of surprise yourself every day instead of making it either a win or a loss for no real reason or stakes.

I'm specifically with you on the meditative, introspective aspect. Can't stand the skatepark these days and been finding the exact solace my sessions there had crucially been missing in the solo skates.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2022, 08:19:25 AM »
for progressing tricks i already have its nice to try to do stuff like grind the whole ledge, learn to pop out early on command, learn to do tricks up things, down things etc.

Basically try to increase my control of the trick. I am a pretty bad skater though so it doesn't always go so well hah

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2022, 03:59:27 AM »
Come out of all of your ledge tricks both ways, revert stuff more, write down tricks if/ when they come to you, work on super basic stuff too (can you do all poweslide combinations? What about every type of shove it?)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2022, 09:29:32 AM »
try something really stupid and stumble into something else. I learned front boards on ledges trying to front blunt on a lark
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2022, 01:00:04 PM »
I’ve come to terms with the fact that a random fliptrick aside, re-learning tricks is as good as it’s going to get for me.
Lately I’ve had fun doing trying to learn properly the tricks I can do, but poorly.
Like ss fs ollies and ss tailslides.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2022, 01:57:58 PM »
You're probably not gonna like this solution, but I just got a huge boost in progress by wearing protection.
My girlfriend wanted to try a few tricks with a helmet on but was kinda embarrassed by it, so I offered to do the same.
Went to my local park in full protection for the first time, felt pretty much invincible (and also weird as hell so I felt the need to prove myself in some way) and managed to try and roll away from tricks I could only dream about for years because I'd be way too scared of hurting myself.
And after getting over the fear once, you can do it without protection just as well.

aàáâäæãå

• Rep: -2
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2022, 10:10:19 PM »
Learn everything you know up a curb.