Author Topic: Jon Nguyen - relatively new part  (Read 2225 times)

benboardbreaker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 49
Jon Nguyen - relatively new part
« on: September 16, 2021, 02:17:44 PM »
I went to the local skate shop today and they had a some Isle boards and I found one of Jon Nguyen. I was wondering why he still had a board, since you never see anything from him. I looked up youtube tonight for him and apparently he put out this part last year with very few views and I couldn't find a topic for it in here. The part has a very good feeling to it and smooth skating. Enjoy!

The guy at the store said that he was told from the distribution that this will be the last batch of Isle boards since they are done. I don't know.. maybe just skate-shop gossip.

But this part is sick. Thank you Jon!  8)

« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 02:40:13 PM by benboardbreaker »

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
there is a spring 22 prebook i did, so i hope they are still going.

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 0
Isle is done? since when? where are the sources? where would anyone on this team fit in elsewhere?
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

benboardbreaker

Re: Jon Nguyen - relatively new part
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 02:39:54 PM »
It seems I might be wrong about the end of Isle then - that would also be such a shame. And cool you made their new catalog. Any way it was just the typical skate-shop gossip and I decided to share it here, but good you have other information.

twic3

• Rep: 16
Maybe they wont be distributed by TOA anymore?

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 02:57:29 PM »
the topic should be changed to be about Isle ending

I did wonder why I haven’t seen new boards of there’s in a bit.   Maybe they’re just switching to Atlantic Drift branding

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 03:11:21 PM »
the last batch of Isle boards since they are done.
Excuse me what

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 03:14:42 PM »
It seems I might be wrong about the end of Isle then - that would also be such a shame. And cool you made their new catalog. Any way it was just the typical skate-shop gossip and I decided to share it here, but good you have other information.
just to clarify; i booked some decks on the prebook, i did not produce their catalog.

douchenozzle

• Rep: 32
  • "I am the party"-DLR
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 03:23:59 PM »
I wouldn’t be surprised. Don’t get me wrong, I love the aesthetic and team. I just don’t see their boards in the wild. Also TOA doesn’t have Chrystie on their website now.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 04:35:04 PM »
love Jon! Such an underrated skater.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 772
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 04:41:02 PM »
yall are fucking with me right? what do you mean isle is done? i just started working at a skateshop and we were just talking about trying to get isle in there since no skateshops in my country carry that brand and now i’m hearing that it’s done?
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2021, 06:14:25 PM »
Would anyone be to bummed if Isle was done? Gotta remember Atlantic Drift was born out of Vase, and Isle seems to been entirely proper up by Atlantic Drift ever since. They would still continue if Isle was done.

For the record, I don't think they are done, but it's interesting that some of the hate 917 & Numbers got, despite Isle doing even less than either. Also it must absolutely suck having to deal with brexit and shipping out of the UK.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2021, 08:59:39 PM »
I know Isle had issues producing boards, and some of them are now made at HLC, which could have some impact on the availability on the US market I guess, but I can't see them disappearing soon.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2021, 11:13:48 AM »
DMed Isle IG - rumors of them ending are false

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2021, 11:56:54 AM »
Lets go buy some Isle boards. Their 8.25 shape is solid. Jon Nguyen is underrated.

lucascbn

• Rep: 21
  • #maconha
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2021, 12:41:23 PM »

like a man, thx

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2021, 01:14:08 PM »
Would anyone be to bummed if Isle was done? Gotta remember Atlantic Drift was born out of Vase, and Isle seems to been entirely proper up by Atlantic Drift ever since. They would still continue if Isle was done.

For the record, I don't think they are done, but it's interesting that some of the hate 917 & Numbers got, despite Isle doing even less than either. Also it must absolutely suck having to deal with brexit and shipping out of the UK.

Yeah I’d be bummed. I’d say five out of my last ten have been Isle.

Plus at least their shit is cohesive and thoughtful. Fucking Numbers? Numbers and Isle aren’t even in the same skate park
p-shuvs and v-flips

benboardbreaker

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2021, 01:27:39 PM »
It's good that the rumor I heard wasn't true and being debunked by people with more knowledge on here.

But this part is sick and we should be discussing how beautiful this guy skates. His style has really aged well. I think that this is the best part I have seen of him. Very graceful and smooth. That frontside alley-oop up the curb is so perfect for example. This is the type of skating I enjoy.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2021, 03:45:51 PM »
I wouldn’t be surprised. Don’t get me wrong, I love the aesthetic and team. I just don’t see their boards in the wild. Also TOA doesn’t have Chrystie on their website now.
Would be more bummed about Chrystie being done, their videos were killer.  Any opportunity for Brett Weinstein, Johnny Purcell and Kaue footage is good by me, and despite the hate he gets, that Herrington part to Lou Reed was a classic.

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2021, 04:31:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Would be more bummed about Chrystie being done, their videos were killer.  Any opportunity for Brett Weinstein, Johnny Purcell and Kaue footage is good by me, and despite the hate he gets, that Herrington part to Lou Reed was a classic.

Johnny is on some truckstop fashion brand called Billy Hill now so I doubt there will be any Chrystie clips from him.

I guess super tacky giant prints that give off nascar/hunting vibes is the cool shit now.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2021, 05:09:09 PM »
It's good that the rumor I heard wasn't true and being debunked by people with more knowledge on here.

But this part is sick and we should be discussing how beautiful this guy skates. His style has really aged well. I think that this is the best part I have seen of him. Very graceful and smooth. That frontside alley-oop up the curb is so perfect for example. This is the type of skating I enjoy.

I like Jon but I feel like he’s a holdover from needing an American on the team.   I’d rather him be on AWS (not to punish him but I feel like some of those guys are his crew) and Kyron take his spot on Isle

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 434
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2021, 05:31:10 AM »
I was slightly disappointed after opening this thread because when I saw the title I thought “Relatively New Part” is the coolest part name I’ve seen in a minute.

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2021, 06:35:22 AM »
Jon Nguyen has some damn fine style. Dare I say he's got quite a bit of Nate Broussard in him.
That's high-praise right there.

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2021, 11:24:29 AM »
Jon Nguyen has some damn fine style. Dare I say he's got quite a bit of Nate Broussard in him.
nick mclouth comes to mind

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2021, 11:59:46 AM »
I thought this was about that asian guy on new alien, what's that guys name? Remembering he was soper good

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2021, 07:46:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
nick mclouth comes to mind

Jon kinda reminds me of BA (in terms of how he looks when he skates, not trick selection). It’s hard to describe but sometimes BA looks like he’s moving in slow motion when in reality he’s probably skating pretty fast.

Sidewalk Funk.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2021, 09:12:28 PM »
I thought this was about that asian guy on new alien, what's that guys name? Remembering he was soper good

You're thinking of Brandon Nguyen. Big fans of both Jon and Brandon. Really talented skaters. Would love to see more new footage of them.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
Isle is done? since when? where are the sources? where would anyone on this team fit in elsewhere?
Jensen at a minimum would fit in on Palace given his connection to the formation of the brand. But, I don't think they are ending. I'm sure tons of brands would love to have Tom Knox or Casper, but there isn't some blatantly obvious fit.

Lo-fi Explosion

• Rep: 7
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2021, 04:52:20 AM »
Spot on

Baby on Board

• Rep: 33
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2021, 08:09:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Kaue is on this new brand Top Heavy Ent.