Author Topic: "SHIT PIE" / Belgrade, 10mn  (Read 679 times)

silhouette

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
Re: "SHIT PIE" / Belgrade, 10mn
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 07:09:55 AM »
Shamelessly bumping this once because I think the clip is fresh as fuck and shouldn't be slept on just because the thread doesn't have Vans or Nike or BATBxx in its title and Serbia the most developed skate economy.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2563
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 01:08:50 PM »
just because the thread doesn't have Vans or Nike or BATBxx in its title

I feel like this part is on you, tbh...

jk, this was a nice watch. Some cool tricks and spots.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 01:21:27 PM by Alan »
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 01:12:23 PM »
I know you're joking and you know I love you, but I'm intrigued. Lack of attention is on me for not desperately luring people into a commercial thread with fake promises of Battle at the Belgrade? This message board used to be at the forefront of independent skate content and represent creative initiatives such as this the very same way SLAP as a magazine used to do. But I feel like that's an actual topic to potentially be discussed here somewhere.

Glad you liked and could relate to this, anyway!

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2563
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 01:26:07 PM »
Yeah, no, you're absolutely right. I love watching shit like this, but that came from within, i.e. just personally wanting to see what skaters around the world were up to haha. In any case, it's more interesting that SLS or whatever, whose popularity is anything but organic.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 05:20:16 PM »
I know this may sound harsh, but I just don't think people care as much as you do. It's really cool that you push underground skateboarding through Live and I respect your dedication to showcasing these unknown skaters and their scenes.

With Instagram and how much skateboarding is released out there, and the decreasing shelf life with a lot of these clips, people just prioritise what they watch more than ever, and are a lot more likely to watch a video with skateboarders they are familiar with and brands they like/support. How many views would a video with BDK & Hjalte get skating the same spots and Ben Chadbourne released it on his Vimeo?

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 06:03:47 PM »
Was this dude using super soft wheels for some of these clips? If not that's wild. This could be an ad for OJ Plain Janes 87a

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 09:25:33 PM »
^ Honestly I have no idea, but I will ask him.

I know this may sound harsh, but I just don't think people care as much as you do. It's really cool that you push underground skateboarding through Live and I respect your dedication to showcasing these unknown skaters and their scenes.

With Instagram and how much skateboarding is released out there, and the decreasing shelf life with a lot of these clips, people just prioritise what they watch more than ever, and are a lot more likely to watch a video with skateboarders they are familiar with and brands they like/support. How many views would a video with BDK & Hjalte get skating the same spots and Ben Chadbourne released it on his Vimeo?

(incoming long reply)

This didn't sound harsh to me and I actually encourage this kind of criticism otherwise situations can only remain stale, so thank you.

My idea of a media platform is that it's supposed to have an editorial line that it uses specifically to point out the good stuff and help people prioritize their viewings, like you're saying.

I'm also well aware that commercial content altogether - and Ben Chadourne's personal Vimeo counts here or else you're not really looking at the skaters that he films - is bound to catch more views than most of the sincere stuff out there with zero industrial validation because this is the world we live in, where people are conditioned to think in terms of mighty entities and otherworldly heroes as opposed to actually consider the inherent qualities of what's in front of them - but I think that's very wrong (if not downright scary) and worth lamenting and I can't and won't accept, personally. Especially as far as skateboarding is concerned since the activity used to culturally boast about being some kind of last resort against that very error in many ways and I like to think that it used to succeed - historically sanctifying D.I.Y./sustainable ethics and economics, and in fact actually federating the probably somewhat naive, usually likeminded people with more or less shared criticism of the excesses of capitalism (keyword: excesses).

The culture used to encourage looking beyond the beaten path, right? Like I was saying before, SLAP as a magazine I always thought embodied that really well. Personally I grew up on so much SLAP Magazine content, so many SLAP articles and photos before I realized where those were even coming from, and how much of it was literally alternative; then to me this message board was always a remarkable user-fed extension of that alternative spirit - and to this day I believe it still is, in fact it even managed to modernize it in many ways which is something I celebrate. I'm talking the yearning for something a bit more sincere and substantial than all the rest of the everyday bullshit, that always was a shared appeal to a lot of people and the common denominator was being able to look at a skateboard for what it is and be amused or intrigued by how different individuals would make it move.

Just to make it clear, I don't believe in numbers and am in no way worried about 'views' (I'm not exactly trying to use the people's skating here) - this is not about Live, this video in particular or any kind of personal interest because even if the world collapsed (and in a way, over the past two years it kind of did) then I'll be keeping doing my humble celebrating and sharing of independent works and people that I think are interesting anyway. I'm just... intrigued? And skeptical of a lot of behaviors I'm seeing (although I respect the individual). Watching a skate video for the shoes, for logos, for this or that pop star of a skateboarder you've already studied under every possible angle so much that you already know the footage before you've seen it. And then what, no curiosity for real life skateboarding anymore because you're too busy watching the same TV show on loop, no interest for unofficial but authentic approaches that should speak to you as a skateboarder more than any branding? How much is the skateboard and the skateboarding still at the core of this whole stage play?

I don't judge but am very wary of skateboarding losing its human touch, if that makes sense. People used to be curious about what they didn't know and then skateboarding was a convenient vector to connect with different cultures, people, customs, landscapes. This thread (which just so happens to be mine here, but had it been a similar one by someone else I would have drawn the same observation) being ignored for 72 hours is just one out of a million of micro details that eventually add up into a more concerning form. But it is a good demonstration of how brainwashed we're getting - in contrast, what skateboarding are people exposing themselves to instead? Look at the BATB thread - and literally everyone in there is complaining about how shit the content is. I don't get why everyone thinks they have to routinely dive their nose into dog shit just because it's corporate - or maybe, clearly that must mean it's more interesting than the next original creation produced out of nothing but passion (and in the case of this thread, literal love) by independents from Serbia, or really what the next skateboarder does on an organic level, sometimes right in front of them. Are all those people really happy subjecting themselves to the reality TV that they claim hating, are they not really missing out on the skateboarding that they really wish they could be watching instead when in fact it exists and they just don't know where to find it - which makes sense since it's not especially being promoted or pushed on social media and in fact that's why I try and start these threads, but no I guess the neon-colored laces barely shrouded in the darkness of scientology-backed settings are still too bright.

Now, every day I interact with literal thousands of skateboarders from all over the planet and you wouldn't believe the shit I see flying that stems right from the opposite formatting and leaning towards pensée unique. Even skate media, supposedly a cultural enterprise in the first place (which the most naive still regard as such) has been consumed by advertising budgets and marketing so hard, a lot of it has progressively lost its original senses and now treats the everyday skateboarder like shit. It's a very sorry sight when, in fucking skateboarding, independent creatives are literally being told to adapt or give up by the very entities that should be representing them - one straightforward example I can give from not so long ago is a magazine I won't be naming telling a crew of Slovenian rippers brave enough to make their own VX edits to stop sending them emails unless they basically stopped filming their friends and maybe moved to a different country; the guys spontaneously showed me the emails because they were half broken, half confused about them and I couldn't fault them - what kind of fucking skate media does this? Shouldn't that person be working for a brand as a sales rep or some shit instead of discouraging skateboarders worldwide for not being marketable unless they're willing to give up on everything to go and film the same boring Instagram clips as everyone else in Berlin and calling it an editorial line? Even as a business model, that shit is putrid - when we eventually ran the Slovenian guys' video and interview, it turned out to be the most popular article we dropped that year, organically outclassing the non-indie stuff.

Finally, I have no problem with certain scenes, videos or happenings being niche at all (quite to the contrary in fact), but I do have one with the general discontentment people express all the time when they aren't curious or serious enough to consider changing their habits in favor of new ones that may be more uplifting personally, and more constructive when it comes to painting healthier standards in skateboarding. And that problem of mine isn't with those people themselves - who are merely being victims - but with the root cause of the issue: the exclusive articulation of skateboarding around whichever scenes/cities/countries/shops have the strongest economy and are the most profitable for an elite, and the idea that at the end of the day money should be dictating art.

Also HORSES, I appreciate you or anyone following Live even from afar. That actually means a lot to me.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 09:42:04 PM by silhouette »

WavyDavy

• Rep: 129
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 12:27:56 AM »
I liked the video. Cruising your hood during the pandemic and finding new spots around seems very relatable.

Also interesting not see how the Serbian scene is doing. Thanks for this.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 01:35:01 AM »
@silhouette  I didn‘t read your post but are you somehow involved in this?

Anyway I watched it and liked it. The hillbombs were wild and the ground crusty. It‘s like a window into countries you usually don‘t see much of, let alone the streetspots in the backyards and alleyways. Dare I say it reminded me a bit of the crazy Croatian dude who posts on this message board even if I know Serbs and Croats are not on the best terms to put it mildly…
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 06:32:23 AM »
maaaaajor shoutout to the Belgrade skaters and those in the scene who are doing what they can to make it pop. Like you said @silhouette, they are on the outside of the typical 'skate industry infrastructure' but because of that you see a genuine and cool DIY effort from the skaters there to do something interesting. Can't wait to make it there next year. 

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2021, 08:21:52 AM »
@silhouette  I didn‘t read your post but are you somehow involved in this?

Anyway I watched it and liked it. The hillbombs were wild and the ground crusty. It‘s like a window into countries you usually don‘t see much of, let alone the streetspots in the backyards and alleyways. Dare I say it reminded me a bit of the crazy Croatian dude who posts on this message board even if I know Serbs and Croats are not on the best terms to put it mildly…

In the creation not at all, just being the messenger and I also interviewed the couple behind this, the link is in the OP (I co-run Live Skateboard Media with Benjamin Deberdt).

Your comment on unseen terrain made my morning as soon as coffee time - that's the very kind of things I wish more people still appreciated in skate videos and the very curiosity I was lamenting the apparent dwindling of in that other post, except I probably sounded overly dramatic about it (these days I'm overworked and sleep deprived). In reality I'm convinced that very curiosity will never completely go away since it's a natural human inclination - but so can be sticking to your comfort zone, except skateboarding (at least the way I see it) is supposed to challenge that one; even by definition, it consists on standing on a moving object. So I always appreciate interest for the unknown when I see it.

I believe you're talking about @orionskate who made Finta. The scene in the Balkans is actually incredibly tight and all those scenes work hand in hand - not sure about past history but for the past ten years I've only ever seen skaters from that part of the world consider each other brothers. The respective cultures are still very much intertwined to the point where it challenges the official borders and by far transcends potential nationalist considerations that do not belong in skateboarding whatsoever anyway. If you're curious about @orionskate / Dino in particular, I interviewed him a while back here: https://liveskateboardmedia.com/en/article/finta-premiere-dino-coce-interview

If anyone is curious about the scene in Serbia and what skaters do there to organize themselves, feel free to look into the Summit of the Non-Aligned:

https://www.instagram.com/samitnesvrstanih/

https://liveskateboardmedia.com/en/article/summit-non-aligned-5ws

@WavyDavy in case you or anyone ever feels like checking out more of the scene in and around the Balkans, here's a selection:

"Calentar" by PRVNS (Belgrade), also featuring the skater from "Shit Pie": https://liveskateboardmedia.com/en/article/calentar

"Brothers" full-length VX video from Croatia by Nino Jurlina + interview:
https://liveskateboardmedia.com/en/article/premiere-brothers-nino-jurlina-interview

VX edit from Ljubljana, Slovenia + interview with the Želve crew: https://liveskateboardmedia.com/en/article/dobraaajj-premiere-želve-crew-interview

and of course the Vladimir Film Festival: https://liveskateboardmedia.com/en/vladimir-film-festival / www.vladimirfilmfestival.com

But really there is so much more. Skateboarding right now is amazing with so many crazy creatives reinterpreting the practice their own way time and time over. Hence me not understanding why some people would choose to watch commercials in the first place. Honestly I've read so many fucked up things on here before, people reasoning in terms of A scenes and B scenes - in my book if you do that then you aren't a skateboarder, you're either a victim or a merchant. But that's enough unnecessary pessimism from me now.

they are on the outside of the typical 'skate industry infrastructure' but because of that you see a genuine and cool DIY effort from the skaters there to do something interesting

You worded that perfectly, and the same can be said about not just every other country in the Balkans but really every local scene in general that's not being exploited and rinsed to shit due to commercial stakes. What's funny is those are by far the vast majority of scenes, the worldwide reality of skateboarding and its most authentic aspect - since it's literally people doing things with skateboarding, not companies.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 457
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2021, 11:23:24 AM »
I like these posts and I look forward to them. I will admit, I have grown tired of thrasher hellride bros. I can't help it I'm sorry. When I was very young there was a curiosity, because I didn't know who I was looking at in a magazine. I am not familiar with these guys and that is precisely why I enjoy watching these videos. The spots are unknown as well. Was that a ping pong table he ollied up? I've never seen it before. More than likely I will never get to skate them. It brings up a lot of questions.

I still watch the Japanese video Haiiro, lonely industrial zone footage. I would have never seen it if I didn't scope out the thread. Finta too. I don't know about the Croatian scene but I liked it so much I imported a copy though a shop in London, all the way to Florida.

It's kind of a bummer these guys don't get more eyes on them but maybe in some way that makes it more special.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2021, 11:50:47 AM »
I like these posts and I look forward to them. I will admit, I have grown tired of thrasher hellride bros. I can't help it I'm sorry. When I was very young there was a curiosity, because I didn't know who I was looking at in a magazine. I am not familiar with these guys and that is precisely why I enjoy watching these videos. The spots are unknown as well. Was that a ping pong table he ollied up? I've never seen it before. More than likely I will never get to skate them. It brings up a lot of questions.

I still watch the Japanese video Haiiro, lonely industrial zone footage. I would have never seen it if I didn't scope out the thread. Finta too. I don't know about the Croatian scene but I liked it so much I imported a copy though a shop in London, all the way to Florida.

It's kind of a bummer these guys don't get more eyes on them but maybe in some way that makes it more special.

Haiiro was so sick, I'm so glad that you remember it and bring it up. Also it's really cool that you coped Finta - I just PM'd you something (alongside a comment that might make it obvious that I didn't fully get your post the first time around; for a second I thought you were saying you straight up distributed the video in Florida, haha).

Totally agree as far as the last part too. It's not so much that those guys don't have more eyes on them that I'm lamenting because traditionally that actually ruins some of the most beautiful things in skateboarding, as that's too commonly synonymous with marketing and conforming to a rigid business model. Most companies also have greedy hands that they are willing to extend to those scenes for street cred (the token aspect of 'underground' at times I can find concerning), but more often than not it's not worth the compromise and the skaters only get so much out of it vs. what they lose. Purity should remain pure - it's just a call for more general curiosity these days that I'm kind of making really. Just bringing it up is rather superficial at the end of the day, but sometimes you just have to point at the elephant in the room, especially when it's in the way of most everybody's sight to the point where they start conflating the elephant and the room.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2021, 12:12:52 PM »
Damn I need to re visit Haiiro! I bought the disc but can't find where I stashed it away now. The guy that put it together is a cool dude and we exchanged some brief emails and I ended up sending him some 'music'.

Anyway, this video was a treat. D.i.y. pieces like this have really held my interest in filmed skate content since coming back to it two years ago. The range of approaches, terrain, architecture, and atmosphere that is to be discovered is not something I take for granted. Especially now i'm on the other side of the world and can't travel.

This video made me want to do a wallie on a crusty concrete fence post then roll myself down a hill and just walk back up slowly while taking in the last rays of sun for the day

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2021, 01:58:21 PM »
Was this dude using super soft wheels for some of these clips? If not that's wild. This could be an ad for OJ Plain Janes 87a

@MysticalTypeExperience I went and asked the skater and here's your answer: