Author Topic: what are some things you can do to grow your scene  (Read 1571 times)

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
what are some things you can do to grow your scene
« on: September 17, 2021, 08:33:24 AM »
I am sad theres not lots of skaters in my area. I really have not done much to grow skateboarding in my area, I was just very focused on myself and not really anyone or anything else. would really like to change that.

Lately I have started doing rub bricking + spraying up ledges, but so far havent really got anyone else out to them yet that i know of. but maybe people are skating them when im not there , or will later

On fathers day i did a meetup with a bunch of skate dads in the area and i have had like 4-5 people ask me again when the next meetup is gonna be. I should try and make this more of a regular thing maybe. was cool for kids and stuff too. we have a more chill skatepark that is older and not many people go to anymore.  Also should maybe try and get every Wednesday session going again with more people instead of just meeting a single homey to slam beers and doobies

I find it hard to relate to the guys that are around that skate for the most part they are like 20-25 and dont have much going on besides skating and hanging out. i am 35 and have 2 kids and i can really only skate street 1 night a week and needs to be planned out. i cant be out til midnight and shit (thats typically whne these guys are just getting warmed up lol)

Loki700

• Rep: 74
Re: what are some things you can do to grow your scene
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 08:43:17 AM »
I would recommend starting with a quality fertilizer, and make sure you don't over water it.
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 10:57:39 AM »
lmao i was gonna say water it. it starts with building and maintaining a spot. and skating it consistently. in my area ive seen like 10 randoms of all ages sk8ing the spot ive put work into since spring. 2 over the last few days. community service sort of. the skate dad meetup is a pretty good idea

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1211
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 12:48:41 PM »
Just pay the homeless to hang out with you like I do.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 01:06:08 PM »
i gatekeep to ensure pants are sold at market value

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
  • registered SLAP offender
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 01:09:24 PM »
Get your local dealer busted

Far from relevant

• Rep: -100
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 01:32:29 PM »
Id skate with you if you lived in my town.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -198
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 01:44:58 PM »
Dude at the local made a bunch of boards, merch and wax and gave them away to kids.  Sponsored a whole slew of the local shredders and partnered with the local skateshop to throw some events and giveaways at said local. Dude was also completely loaded

Lisa96

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 02:17:22 PM »

i wish i had never tried weed or any other drugs for that matter because it definitely became more of a priority than skating

FUBAR

• Rep: 235
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 02:57:47 PM »
I’m most def going to try to get a fathers day thing going next year. Sounds rad.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 03:53:25 PM »
I bought pants from kyota umeki twice
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 04:14:02 PM »
If you build it, they will come...that's all I have to say..

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 04:39:26 PM »
You have kids?!?!

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2021, 04:40:24 PM »
Hold a game of S.k.a.t.e
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2021, 04:49:54 PM »
If it’s plant based, water, nutrients and the proper amount of sunlight is vital. 

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2021, 06:01:46 PM »
I don't know. Last time I was home, I went out skating street numerous times and didn't see a soul. None of the spots, I'm talking fresh granite blocks and stuff, directly across from the indoor skatepark, were being skated. None of the new curbs, ledges, wall rides. Nothing. It was weird to see because there's a bitchin indoor park, but it seems like over the past 18 years, or like the last 3 generations of kids that could start skating, no one pushes around town, so subsequently, no one can be part of the scene unless they pay to play. Maybe it's partially due to all the dudes my generation (35-40) got into drugs and died or left town, unable to pass the legacy on.

All I'm trying to do with the kids where I live is hook em up with decks and sneakers and shit. telling them not to litter at our spots. that shit always meant the world to me when I was coming up
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2021, 06:58:18 PM »
I am sad theres not lots of skaters in my area. I really have not done much to grow skateboarding in my area, I was just very focused on myself and not really anyone or anything else. would really like to change that.

Lately I have started doing rub bricking + spraying up ledges, but so far havent really got anyone else out to them yet that i know of. but maybe people are skating them when im not there , or will later

On fathers day i did a meetup with a bunch of skate dads in the area and i have had like 4-5 people ask me again when the next meetup is gonna be. I should try and make this more of a regular thing maybe. was cool for kids and stuff too. we have a more chill skatepark that is older and not many people go to anymore.  Also should maybe try and get every Wednesday session going again with more people instead of just meeting a single homey to slam beers and doobies

I find it hard to relate to the guys that are around that skate for the most part they are like 20-25 and dont have much going on besides skating and hanging out. i am 35 and have 2 kids and i can really only skate street 1 night a week and needs to be planned out. i cant be out til midnight and shit (thats typically whne these guys are just getting warmed up lol)

You answered your own question.
Organize, make it a weekly thing, and when other people are committed you have help to make it grow
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2021, 01:41:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You answered your own question.
Organize, make it a weekly thing, and when other people are committed you have help to make it grow

I am your age. I don‘t have kids, yet, but a few of my skate friends have kids. The people that do have kids I definitely skate with the least, because to meet them I always have to make it to the one or two sessions that can do every week at a place that is close to their house. They are very inflexible skate homies, who almost always need to decide where and when to meet up.

I am exaggerating a bit, I do meet them for sessions still. We have a good WhatsApp group of active older skaters where it is usually pretty easy to find people to skate with. My friend started a small deck brand and makes videos and the crew is kind of around that. I have also lived in my hometown for 15 years so I know a lot people.

I’d say stay in touch with people and keep trying to meet up with people. There are a lot of older dudes still doing it.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2021, 02:18:30 AM »
I would recommend starting with a quality fertilizer, and make sure you don't over water it.

What is your sig from again?

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2021, 02:21:53 AM »
I don't know. Last time I was home, I went out skating street numerous times and didn't see a soul. None of the spots, I'm talking fresh granite blocks and stuff, directly across from the indoor skatepark, were being skated. None of the new curbs, ledges, wall rides. Nothing. It was weird to see because there's a bitchin indoor park, but it seems like over the past 18 years, or like the last 3 generations of kids that could start skating, no one pushes around town, so subsequently, no one can be part of the scene unless they pay to play. Maybe it's partially due to all the dudes my generation (35-40) got into drugs and died or left town, unable to pass the legacy on.

All I'm trying to do with the kids where I live is hook em up with decks and sneakers and shit. telling them not to litter at our spots. that shit always meant the world to me when I was coming up

I manage a fairly young team at work (Im 37 and the crew would be 18 - 24) and I regularly pass on life advice that I recived from older locals at the old park - it still means the world to me.

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2021, 03:14:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I manage a fairly young team at work (Im 37 and the crew would be 18 - 24) and I regularly pass on life advice that I recived from older locals at the old park - it still means the world to me.

do you tell them not to listen to you because you were downloading the plan b video on your honeymoon?

“baby, come to bed, I want you to fuck me so deep I want you to be able to reach down my throat and jerk your own cock off inside of me”

“Amanda! I will!!! Just tell me the 3 digits on the back of your card so I can I download this skate video first”
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 03:38:23 AM by honey island »

RottenToTheCore

• Rep: 10
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2021, 03:19:16 AM »
DIYs

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2021, 03:24:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

do you tell them not to listen to because you were downloading the plan b video on your honeymoon?

“baby, come to bed, I want you to fuck me so deep I want you to be able to reach down my throat and jerk your own cock off inside of me”

“Amanda! I will!!! Just tell me the 3 digits on the back of your card so I can I download this skate video first”

LOL - jeeezus dude, maybe sit the next few plays out.

Banging in the Slammer

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2021, 03:53:45 AM »

This resonates. Lost so many friends to H and gib over the last couple years. There ain’t much opportunities round these parts and a lot of ugliness

But yeah if the scene is small, and there’s no decent park in town, a simple concrete block angle iron ledge keeps the stoke up

newguy

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2021, 11:53:36 AM »
i gatekeep to ensure pants are sold at market value

I love how the skate mama pants will most likely never go away, it’s such a versatile inside joke  ;D

Seriously though, here we have a full fledged organisation recognised by the mayors office, we do DIY builds and maintain spots around the city, theres only a dozen of us give or take, but lots of skaters dig our work and skate our spots, dads bring their little kids to try skateboarding for the first time, we’ve got cookout sessions and events with skate shops, it’s so fun to be a part of a community and a good vibe :-) DIY projects attract skaters no matter the scale and build quality so that’s a good place to start. We’re trying to get the mayor to approve and fund a covered skatepark now since it rains all the time here, and skaters skate in warehouses, private property, anything covered really, and that creates conflict. It’s a big step up and super frustrating because no one wants to invest in that sort of thing, not to mention we have to dive in urban planning politics and other groups trying to fund their own thing haha.

nonickname

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2021, 12:07:15 PM »
Rawbertson - are you K-W or London area? If the former what's this older part of which you speak and does it have a teeny ass ledge or even a good manny pad?

GTA based  but sometimes have jobs out near Hespeler.

Edit: old bastard with no skills but do my bit for the scene by buying local brands (latch key, studio etc) from local shops to keep $ around here and talk with the guys in the stores.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 12:15:44 PM by nonickname »
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk