Author Topic: KING OF MACBA 4!  (Read 27023 times)

matt_2993

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
Re: KING OF MACBA 4!
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2021, 10:19:49 AM »
https://youtu.be/MjHKFUMBZfE

Blake Johnson is a lot better than I knew

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2021, 10:30:50 AM »
Surprised Trent don't got switch tres, thought it was mandatory to get on primitive

Blake is way better at skating that you'd think by just looking at him. Very top heavy looking. Both nollie flipped the 3 block 1st try crazy shit

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2021, 10:42:15 AM »
Damn. Best game so far. Blake was on one.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2021, 10:43:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
People mad at Tiago when Justin only skated the stairs.
Also Tiago stuck everything Justin set - Justin wasn’t close to Tiago’s tricks.
[close]

I’m a big Tiago fan but his approach kind of rubbed me the wrong way tbh. Yeah Justin only skate stairs but he was doing stuff that Tiago or anyone else for that matter would have a chance at trying and/or landing. Tiago was doing huge pop shit which for Justin were actually physically impossible to execute. This became obvious right from the start so when Tiago just kept going back it it just takes any of the competition right out of it and repeatedly causes Justin to feel foolish. Just seems really tone deaf and a bit dickish to me. Hopefully Tiago wasn’t doing it on purpose. As others have said “anything is game and it’s a competition” but again knowing full well your opponent literally lacks the ability to jump that high and then just repeatedly doing it over and over is fairly distasteful imo…
[close]

Perfectly summed up my thoughts on it. It's cool he can pop that high switch, but sort of misses the point. I felt the same way about the dude doing the nollie heal down the big 3 against Petar for the final trick when Petar already made it clear he can't physically even nollie down it earlier in the game. Was a dirty way to end the game IMO.

scrub mentality. the contest judge has no opinion on what you consider "honorable" or "cheap". if you ever plan on doing anything competitive in your life, you need to lose that attitude immediately. everyone has their abilities on a skateboard, you need to stay in your lane and do what you do best. its like you are working on a house, not 1 guy in there knows how to do every job. you need the electrician, framer, plumber, all them ninjas to play their position...

honestly if you ask me, that fakie blind bigspin was a dirty trick but tiago made it! dude only hit 2 spots where tiago hit tons, more of a real "King of MACBA" if you ask me! the fact he can hit stuff other people are not capable of is not tiago's fault rather it's his opponent's. asking him not to play to his strengths is just silly and weird

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2021, 10:44:58 AM »
Trent's switch back 180 over the wall was incredible. Blake's skating is ALWAYS enjoyable to me and that late shove was sick. Back to back nollie flips? Best game yet by far.

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 84
« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2021, 11:17:19 AM »
Wow... Blake Johnson is fucking incredible... I tend to always forget that before watching him for whatever reason.

Steve Kelly

• Rep: -227
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2021, 01:39:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m a big Tiago fan but his approach kind of rubbed me the wrong way tbh. Yeah Justin only skate stairs but he was doing stuff that Tiago or anyone else for that matter would have a chance at trying and/or landing. Tiago was doing huge pop shit which for Justin were actually physically impossible to execute. This became obvious right from the start so when Tiago just kept going back it it just takes any of the competition right out of it and repeatedly causes Justin to feel foolish. Just seems really tone deaf and a bit dickish to me. Hopefully Tiago wasn’t doing it on purpose. As others have said “anything is game and it’s a competition” but again knowing full well your opponent literally lacks the ability to jump that high and then just repeatedly doing it over and over is fairly distasteful imo…
[close]

Perfectly summed up my thoughts on it. It's cool he can pop that high switch, but sort of misses the point. I felt the same way about the dude doing the nollie heal down the big 3 against Petar for the final trick when Petar already made it clear he can't physically even nollie down it earlier in the game. Was a dirty way to end the game IMO.
[close]

scrub mentality. the contest judge has no opinion on what you consider "honorable" or "cheap". if you ever plan on doing anything competitive in your life, you need to lose that attitude immediately. everyone has their abilities on a skateboard, you need to stay in your lane and do what you do best. its like you are working on a house, not 1 guy in there knows how to do every job. you need the electrician, framer, plumber, all them ninjas to play their position...

honestly if you ask me, that fakie blind bigspin was a dirty trick but tiago made it! dude only hit 2 spots where tiago hit tons, more of a real "King of MACBA" if you ask me! the fact he can hit stuff other people are not capable of is not tiago's fault rather it's his opponent's. asking him not to play to his strengths is just silly and weird

I’ve played competitive sports my whole life. This isn’t some Comp for a million dollar first prize. If you’re unable to see the nuance in our assessment, then I’d say you might lack a little tact and sportsmanship. We could compare this to a game of rec basketball. If a team is dunking all over the other team, there usually comes a time where they take a step back and chill out in it a bit, when it becomes clear the other team can’t defend. This is common across all sports at basically every level aside from maybe the very top. It’s called sportsmanship. Sure some teams just keep pounding, but then they’re acknowledged as dicks across the board.  That’s all we’re pointing out. This isn’t some cut throat battle to the death.

waffle

• Rep: 124
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2021, 02:19:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I’ve played competitive sports my whole life. This isn’t some Comp for a million dollar first prize. If you’re unable to see the nuance in our assessment, then I’d say you might lack a little tact and sportsmanship. We could compare this to a game of rec basketball. If a team is dunking all over the other team, there usually comes a time where they take a step back and chill out in it a bit, when it becomes clear the other team can’t defend. This is common across all sports at basically every level aside from maybe the very top. It’s called sportsmanship. Sure some teams just keep pounding, but then they’re acknowledged as dicks across the board.  That’s all we’re pointing out. This isn’t some cut throat battle to the death.

I’m willing to bet you never played any division college sports. Not an insult (it’s a skating message board so who cares), but your mentality screams keyboard pundit.

The “nuance” here is that, despite what you’ve written, this contest is for money and does actually exist in some interval between “a game of rec Basketball” and “some cutthroat battle to the death.”

Never mind that everyone is failing to mention that Justin only tried tricks down stairs. His trick selection was just as monotonous as Tiago’s, but with less unique obstacles involved.

One dude went up, the other went down.

If you condition on that, it’s impossible to call either’s conduct sportsmanlike (or not) without holding the same criticism for both.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2021, 03:19:54 PM »
Well, Tiago was able to do all of Justin's tricks. Really close even.

How do you not see the difference?

I don't dislike him for it, but it got boring.

Mongey

• Rep: -5
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2021, 08:29:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Petar is gnarly. But the other dude was
Pretty accommodating. Sure getting smoked
On the drop in made him Just want to want to end it.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2021, 05:50:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It'S a GaMe BrO! Peeps just wanna win, deal with it.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2021, 10:47:29 AM »
After watching all the episodes so far, I cannot stand when they have a moment of saying "that counts right?" With a moment of judgment because the person tick tacked a little after landing or did a revert 10 ft after landing with no to touch or scraping of any kind.  Of course that shit counts, nothing to debate

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2021, 02:40:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I’m willing to bet you never played any division college sports. Not an insult (it’s a skating message board so who cares), but your mentality screams keyboard pundit.

The “nuance” here is that, despite what you’ve written, this contest is for money and does actually exist in some interval between “a game of rec Basketball” and “some cutthroat battle to the death.”

Never mind that everyone is failing to mention that Justin only tried tricks down stairs. His trick selection was just as monotonous as Tiago’s, but with less unique obstacles involved.

If you condition on that, it’s impossible to call either’s conduct sportsmanlike (or not) without holding the same criticism for both.

this here be the difference between skaters and 'athletes'

skating aint all about the 'win by any means neccesary' mentality, kids. go back to football

butterballs for jerry

• Rep: -56
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2021, 06:16:19 PM »
After watching all the episodes so far, I cannot stand when they have a moment of saying "that counts right?" With a moment of judgment because the person tick tacked a little after landing or did a revert 10 ft after landing with no to touch or scraping of any kind.  Of course that shit counts, nothing to debate

opinions, man
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1219
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2021, 09:12:37 PM »

I see it as being just a little subconscious gesture of gamesmanship.  Like “I’m not trying to squeak one past you, don’t be afraid to call me on some questionable shit.  I won’t count a trick, no matter how ludicrous it might be, if you don’t want to count it because I would rather lose than have my honor come into question whatsover”
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2021, 07:40:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

skating aint all about the 'win by any means neccesary' mentality, kids. go back to football

Tiago is doing it "for fun" in every contest since he got famous. Go watch his games in slides and grinds, sls and others contests, dude just have fun, skate fast and high. shitheads here saying he is flaxing definitively dont know him. That first time, since I met him when he was a little kid, that he wanted win o hard.

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2021, 10:22:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Tiago is doing it "for fun" in every contest since he got famous. Go watch his games in slides and grinds, sls and others contests, dude just have fun, skate fast and high. shitheads here saying he is flaxing definitively dont know him. That first time, since I met him when he was a little kid, that he wanted win o hard.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2021, 01:44:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I got the opposite vibe then some of you. It seemed like Justin is the type of skater who wants to "win" more than Tiago and Tiago just kind of went with it.

theoriginalgoon

• Rep: -61
  • eight equals d
« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2021, 09:16:05 AM »
Me: I found skate Jesus.

Slap: Yeah, well maybe if he does the crucifix switch I will believe it.

anthonym

• Rep: -21
« Reply #109 on: October 11, 2021, 09:19:25 AM »
Lmao, was a really well matched game till the dude just RAGE QUITS after 2 letters 😂
R.I.P. Boardertown - Oakland, CA

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #110 on: October 11, 2021, 09:23:22 AM »
Lmao, was a really well matched game till the dude just RAGE QUITS after 2 letters 😂

Yeah what the fuck just happened lol
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2021, 09:30:52 AM »
Wow. I already didn't like Jorge's vibe but that was the nail in the kook coffin right there. If your hand was so hurt you probably wouldn't use the same hand to grab your board by the trucks and huck it. What a chump.

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2021, 09:44:17 AM »
Maybe he got a call from Carlos Riberio?!

goeatsomefriedbread

• Rep: 267
« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2021, 10:53:37 AM »
Dammmmn, raging that game got cut short, I don't think the guy 'rage quit', he went down like a bag of shite onto his wrist/hand, maybe it was already a bit dodgy and he didn't wanna carry on and make it worse

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #114 on: October 11, 2021, 12:09:30 PM »
You can hear the crunch when he landed on his wrist, it’s a shame but can’t blame him
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: October 11, 2021, 12:32:30 PM »
You can hear the crunch when he landed on his wrist, it’s a shame but can’t blame him

Think that's the mic

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1370
« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2021, 12:55:43 PM »
Macba life left a comment on the vid saying that there was glass all over the ground as well, and that Jorge cut himself on a piece. Guess that plus hurting his wrist made him call it.

QixHexagon

• Rep: 31
« Reply #117 on: October 11, 2021, 12:59:09 PM »
I think a pebble got into his hand?

*or a shard of glass, according to Madam I'm Adam

theoriginalgoon

• Rep: -61
  • eight equals d
« Reply #118 on: October 11, 2021, 01:08:09 PM »
why are they just skating with glass on the ground?
Me: I found skate Jesus.

Slap: Yeah, well maybe if he does the crucifix switch I will believe it.

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 214
« Reply #119 on: October 11, 2021, 01:12:17 PM »
Fuck. That was fitting to be an amazing game. Maybe his wrist was cooked and he couldn’t stress/relax wank before the game.

Both of them are beasts. Shame.