Author Topic: Pros milking it  (Read 10255 times)

Kanye Omari West

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
Pros milking it
« on: September 18, 2021, 12:16:50 PM »
Name names. Dudes that are no longer producing or had full careers that still have boards out. And go. Also at what point should pros be put out to pasture? Times have changed and does an active online presence, non skate content creation and following warrant still having products out in their name?

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Pros milking it
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 12:21:52 PM »
Brophy

MFS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65427
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 12:28:23 PM »
Crob, its time too move on. Hes established himself in a different way now. No hate its just a hard milk. If youre like cardiel, lance or grosso obviously thats like jordan status and you should have a board forever but crob isnt in the boat.

Lil Ricky

• Rep: -216
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 12:29:49 PM »
If Crob still has a board out, so should Daniel Castillo.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 12:31:06 PM »

What's your sig from?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 12:32:58 PM »
I love all the crail dudes but like half their camp should just go. They're the main ones that come to mind
Baker cleaned house and did what they had to do. Not sure why they can't either. Unless you're doing an Appleyard and still producing full parts being nearly 20 years and change into the game then it's time to go. Let somebody else shine.

Lil Ricky

• Legends Never Die
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 12:33:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What's your sig from?

Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2190
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 12:36:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

What's your sig from?
[close]

A true classic!  ;)

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 12:37:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

What's your sig from?
[close]

Looks deadly. Can't find a stream. Don't suppose you have it ?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 115
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 01:21:37 PM »
I don’t know how crail keeps all of their older pros still around, monetarily. I feel like it would make more sense to have like, a crail alum series of 2-3 older riders that constantly rotates with every drop. That way the older less productive pros still get their name on a board out of respect, maybe more people buy then cause they’re “limited”, while not taking up tons of active roster space for young cats consistently laying it down.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2021, 02:43:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

What's your sig from?
[close]

[close]

Got me interested too.
Not a stream, but you can download it from the piratebay (torrent). I just did.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 875
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2021, 02:49:02 PM »

Ya I like Daniel Castillo’s podcast

Lil Ricky

• Legends Never Die
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2021, 02:50:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

What's your sig from?
[close]

[close]

[close]

Got me interested too.
Not a stream, but you can download it from the piratebay (torrent). I just did.

Haha. Enjoy!  ;D

creep3000

• Rep: 2
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2021, 01:03:15 AM »
I love all the crail dudes but like half their camp should just go. They're the main ones that come to mind
Baker cleaned house and did what they had to do. Not sure why they can't either. Unless you're doing an Appleyard and still producing full parts being nearly 20 years and change into the game then it's time to go. Let somebody else shine.

Mark hasn't been been on vacation mode for over a decade. One mediocre globe part?.

Dont get ne wrong apple is a king of style and hes parts are amazing but he a vacation dude.   

rukes

• Rep: 214
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2021, 02:16:58 AM »
If the companies want to keep paying em, who cares?
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

thomascandia

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2021, 02:59:13 AM »
all the 9 Club squad:  Jeron, Crob, Justin Eldrige, KElly Hart ( but maybe he doesn't count, cause if he still ride for that small company called Visit )

assvogel

• Rep: 195
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2021, 03:39:38 AM »
I find it a bit strange if people here assume that "being a pro/having a name on the website" equals a monthly paycheck which is out of some hungry am's pocket... While there are pros that are milking their past fame, there's those whose name should always have a board on the wall and I have no issues when companies keep their family of skateboarders together whether or not they do the latest or greatest part every 6 months (Like Deluxe is a good example).

There's the marketability issue. Crail comes up every time with these topics. While there are tons of skateboarders who don't care whose Johnny Whatshisname board they are skating, there's a lot of people who get that Rick Howard or MC board off the wall, because they have been in skateboarding for over 30 years and certified legends/name recognition, thus keeping the company afloat. Same with Jeron and Chris, their 9club thing probably gives more eyes to Chocolate than the latest patch of pros.

Especially now in the age of everyones-a-pro, it's harder to get your name out there, but there's people like Breanna whose pro-board is cool enough thing that people choose that over some other company.

There's a lot of comments in that Emerica topic about "Spanky shouldn't be a pro because he doesn't skate on a pro-level", what ever that means. But Spanky is doing his own thing which a lot of people dig, is recognizable pro-skater and brings more value to the companies he rides for = is marketable.

I think if you don't like "pros milking it", vote with your wallet. Get that new-pros board next time you buy a board.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 04:40:40 AM by assvogel »

Rein

• Rep: -21
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2021, 04:29:58 AM »
Does Cooper Wilt still have a deck out?

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2021, 05:05:47 AM »
I find it a bit strange if people here assume that "being a pro/having a name on the website" equals a monthly paycheck which is out of some hungry am's pocket... While there are pros that are milking their past fame, there's those whose name should always have a board on the wall and I have no issues when companies keep their family of skateboarders together whether or not they do the latest or greatest part every 6 months (Like Deluxe is a good example).

There's the marketability issue. Crail comes up every time with these topics. While there are tons of skateboarders who don't care whose Johnny Whatshisname board they are skating, there's a lot of people who get that Rick Howard or MC board off the wall, because they have been in skateboarding for over 30 years and certified legends/name recognition, thus keeping the company afloat. Same with Jeron and Chris, their 9club thing probably gives more eyes to Chocolate than the latest patch of pros.

Especially now in the age of everyones-a-pro, it's harder to get your name out there, but there's people like Breanna whose pro-board is cool enough thing that people choose that over some other company.

There's a lot of comments in that Emerica topic about "Spanky shouldn't be a pro because he doesn't skate on a pro-level", what ever that means. But Spanky is doing his own thing which a lot of people dig, is recognizable pro-skater and brings more value to the companies he rides for = is marketable.

I think if you don't like "pros milking it", vote with your wallet. Get that new-pros board next time you buy a board.

Anybody hating on Spanky is wild. Still produces and his footage is great. My main thing is "what is somebody contributing to the brand?" is all. If it's clips on IG then so be it but just establish that you're still out in the streets or on your board at some capacity to this day. If you're gonna ride for a skateboard company then at skateboard a little bit. Also in the topic it addresses other ways of contributing to a brand such as creating content like the 9 club squad does. There's more than one way to add to a brand in 2021 and having an active online presence might be controversial but still is one way of doing that. My question is is that sufficient enough to still warrant a permanent spot on a team?

Expand Quote
[close]

Mark hasn't been been on vacation mode for over a decade. One mediocre globe part?.

Dont get ne wrong apple is a king of style and hes parts are amazing but he a vacation dude.   

Are you ragging on apples or not because you went back and forth like 3 times. Apples is still producing and still on his board at a pro level. Still looks like a style lord. He definitely deserves a board still. Tf.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2021, 07:05:55 AM »
Fred Gall

thebacker

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2021, 07:40:01 AM »

Tireeedd

• Rep: 63
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2021, 08:02:45 AM »

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2021, 08:10:05 AM »
Fred Gall
he doesnt even have a set board sponsor right now and rips harder than most pros of his status/age

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -219
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2021, 08:44:59 AM »
Ladd

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2021, 10:01:27 AM »
I doubt there are many pros that work at dairy farms.  Those farms are usually located miles away from any skate spots

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2021, 10:50:38 AM »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2021, 11:00:21 AM »

Pisses me off. In case anybody doesn't know, the scientific community agrees that milk is absolutely NOT good for you. Not for your bones or anything else. Fuck this shit. Stop exploiting animals

Lord Viper Scorpion

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2021, 11:03:39 AM »

Brguy

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2021, 11:32:40 AM »
Marc Johnson is in that weird state where you can't say he's milking it but he's not putting out any footage either.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2021, 11:38:56 AM »

Gnarred, got me on a loop hole.  See what I did there?