Author Topic: Some Primitive pros make even 100k at year.  (Read 12204 times)

DannyDee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
Re: Some Primitive pros make even 100k at year.
« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2021, 07:33:32 PM »
noticing that most of the "$100k is nothing" posters in this thread are Canadian

$100k CAD = $78k USD
                    = $66k EUR
I did the conversion in my first post when it came to Toronto. The average house price here is 1,000,000 CAD in Toronto and 1.3, CAD in Vancouver.

I never said 100k is nothing either. Just that for the two pros I mentioned, who happen to live in the 2 specific cities I mentioned, a 130k a year doesn't make you wealthy or even able to afford an average house in the market under typical house buying logic (a housing purchase shouldn't cost more than 5x your yearly salary). That isn't even a comment on 130k being nothing, and more due to the insanity of housing in these two markets at the moment.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2021, 08:22:14 PM »
somewhere in here is an interesting conversation about what 100k means to a skater in the US. you can pay housing costs and you can pay for health insurance, but does that money extend into the annual surgeries some of these guys need? is some progression halted by medical costs pricing some guys out? are potential NBD’s not being done bc skaters can’t afford the surgery if a truck breaks really bad?

Steve Kelly

• Rep: -227
« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2021, 09:46:42 PM »
Can still live pretty comfortably in or at least in the suburbs of a large Canadian city as a renter for like 3k/month pretty easily. If you have a partner, less, kids more obv. But if you’re not spending a ton you should be able save a fair bit and invest and build your net worth nicely over time. Regardless of whether you own a house or not.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2021, 04:39:12 PM »
somewhere in here is an interesting conversation about what 100k means to a skater in the US. you can pay housing costs and you can pay for health insurance, but does that money extend into the annual surgeries some of these guys need? is some progression halted by medical costs pricing some guys out? are potential NBD’s not being done bc skaters can’t afford the surgery if a truck breaks really bad?

Didn't Prod go a long time without suffering any major injury? and this recent injury was his only real career slowing injury

Looking at a lot of professional sports, it seems like you have to save and re-invest, even bench players (who will still get bucK) have a diminished return on their talent and those who didn't go broke re-invested. 

I can only imagine how much supreme riders make

fongool

• Rep: 94
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2021, 04:55:48 PM »
the pro athlete bankruptcy stats are insane -- something like 75% of NFL players file for bankruptcy within 2 years of leaving the league

there was a good 30 For 30 episode about it

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2021, 05:35:05 PM »
the pro athlete bankruptcy stats are insane -- something like 75% of NFL players file for bankruptcy within 2 years of leaving the league

I don't think this is 100% true.

I'm part way through this book and author pushes against this idea most NFL players go broke. I think many post NFL players are in decent positions in terms of financial health. Physical health is another story.

https://nyupress.org/9781479862863/is-there-life-after-football/

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2021, 06:27:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm part way through this book and author pushes against this idea most NFL players go broke. I think many post NFL players are in decent positions in terms of financial health. Physical health is another story.

Is it true that nowadays in most professional leagues that players have to hire financial consultants?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2021, 06:32:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Is it true that nowadays in most professional leagues that players have to hire financial consultants?

Base salary in most sports is mid-to-high six figures, and anyone making that kind of money should have some sort of financial professional helping them along, especially if you're a 24 year old jock.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2021, 11:51:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Base salary in most sports is mid-to-high six figures, and anyone making that kind of money should have some sort of financial professional helping them along, especially if you're a 24 year old jock.

Big Money
Big Cars
Who the fuck you think we are
We living like superstars
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

somefucker

« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2021, 05:23:39 AM »

just curious, source?

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 404
« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2021, 06:09:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

just curious, source?

Great episode: http://www.espn.com/30for30/film/_/page/broke

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2021, 07:09:00 AM »
I saw in instagram yesterday Chico Brenes works at a clothing store as a full time job. dude is straight legend, but then i thought about it and its not like his boards were probably flying off the shself, and i dont think he ever had any pro shoe either, or if he did it was no D3.

I know Lee Yankou (pro for Heroin Skateboards in Toronto) has a normal job outside of skateboarding, I think someone told me he has a full on trade. You make very good money doing that stuff and I think it is very useful for learning about how to fix up your house and shit. man that shit is valuable... i am 1 year into owning a home and i am so fucked. Even has uses for skateboarding like I think it makes you a lot better at building ramps or DIY spots even by being an electrician or whatever I think you just get a lot more exposed to using tools and shit like that compared to a computer nerd like me.

I think these guys were smart to play their cards this way and make sure they had a good source of income early on for something they enjoy doing. I wish I would have delayed going to College by like 3-4 years by my mom was so sure I would never go if i didnt go striaght away. I never ended up using that degree at all so was really just waste of time and money and time for me to just fuck around and party when that was like some of the most prime time for skating i could have bene doing. i always really liked doing stuff with computers but i think going to university for computer science was maybe a bit much for me at that age. if i would have just taken some course in college low level python or even just like web design stuff i think i would have bene a lot more happy. 

I was able to work hard and make the most of my situation luckily and land myself a job doing stuff with software but i am fairly low on the totem pole. i am glad i did not go out too hard with skating becuase it seems like tons of guys ar ejust burnt on it and dont evne do it anymore or in some cases phsyically not even able to.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2021, 07:16:40 AM »
I saw in instagram yesterday Chico Brenes works at a clothing store as a full time job. dude is straight legend, but then i thought about it and its not like his boards were probably flying off the shself, and i dont think he ever had any pro shoe either, or if he did it was no D3.

I know Lee Yankou (pro for Heroin Skateboards in Toronto) has a normal job outside of skateboarding, I think someone told me he has a full on trade. You make very good money doing that stuff and I think it is very useful for learning about how to fix up your house and shit. man that shit is valuable... i am 1 year into owning a home and i am so fucked. Even has uses for skateboarding like I think it makes you a lot better at building ramps or DIY spots even by being an electrician or whatever I think you just get a lot more exposed to using tools and shit like that compared to a computer nerd like me.

I think these guys were smart to play their cards this way and make sure they had a good source of income early on for something they enjoy doing. I wish I would have delayed going to College by like 3-4 years by my mom was so sure I would never go if i didnt go striaght away. I never ended up using that degree at all so was really just waste of time and money and time for me to just fuck around and party when that was like some of the most prime time for skating i could have bene doing. i always really liked doing stuff with computers but i think going to university for computer science was maybe a bit much for me at that age. if i would have just taken some course in college low level python or even just like web design stuff i think i would have bene a lot more happy. 

I was able to work hard and make the most of my situation luckily and land myself a job doing stuff with software but i am fairly low on the totem pole. i am glad i did not go out too hard with skating becuase it seems like tons of guys ar ejust burnt on it and dont evne do it anymore or in some cases phsyically not even able to.

Not sure how long he's been at it but Salman Agah been working/running a pizza joint, he seems super happy too, and every now and them I'll see him post some skating.  Werent his boards flying off shelves back in the 90s?  If you manage your money and dont live beyond your means Im sure any change in career will work out for an ex pro skateboarder

somefucker

« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2021, 07:18:41 AM »

totally didn't have a pro model on DVS, ever hear of Google?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2021, 07:53:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

totally didn't have a pro model on DVS, ever hear of Google?
He had plenty of pro shoes on Dvs.
 I just don't think there's such a thing as forever money in skateboarding. I could see even nyjah running out of money down the line if all he did was skate. Tony hawk would probably have a real job now if it wasn't for the games.

somefucker

« Reply #135 on: September 23, 2021, 07:59:46 AM »
He had plenty of pro shoes on Dvs.
 I just don't think there's such a thing as forever money in skateboarding. I could see even nyjah running out of money down the line if all he did was skate. Tony hawk would probably have a real job now if it wasn't for the games.

I'd argue even without the video games, he'd be fine.

On the flipside i'd love to see Nyjah behind the cash register at Family Dollar.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #136 on: September 23, 2021, 08:04:27 AM »

I would think anyone who was pro for Crailtap between 1994 and 2001 had some years of great board sales.Even after that he probably made pretty good money. But, unless you invest smartly or are just making a ridiculous amount of cash, you aren''t making enough to never work after skating unless you are like Koston.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #137 on: September 23, 2021, 08:44:56 AM »
To me that is kind of wild like i persoanlly dont feel the money is worth it like even at 200k a year (for a short window only, then you could end up at mcdonalds wages again for a bit) all said and done, because as Wade said, you are out there straight killing yourself, legit risking your life, sometimes 7 days a week for periods of time with no off season. NHL players have like 15 min of ice time per game... playing in 1 minute shifts, the amount of money they make is totally enough for them to retire off of. you are working like 100x harder for like 100x less money. there just isnt the same kind of money in it, i understand. i think hockey is probably way harder to ocme up in than skateboarding is too but the gap is narrowing for sure but definintely like way more kids play hockey than skate where i live.

idk its like on one hand buddy is right saying well its not like you are really missin out on being a plumber or w/e you might as well go for it if you have the opportunity. i just think you should try and learn something else as well that is worth good money try and think of this from a young age like if you like doing stuff with computers start getting into software early on and keep doing that on the side while you are skating. i think university fuckin sucks unless you wanna be a doctor engineer or lawyer. i think being a teacher sucks i touched on that earlier. i think trades are hype as fuck you make great money and you learn so much about the world its just a lot of hard work (but very rewarding not just monetarily) and it seems like yo uhave to work with a lot of dip shits which is not good for my personality type. most pro skater i see try to make a business and a lot of them are really half baked ideas with the odd 1/100 that ends up working out cause they have probably good parents + backing. i know for sure they have a lot of free time that just gets wasted i think more companies should look at getting thier pros more educated / persuing stuff they are interested besides skating especially if it can positively help the comapny they are ridin for

somefucker

« Reply #138 on: September 23, 2021, 09:56:42 AM »
To me that is kind of wild like i persoanlly dont feel the money is worth it like even at 200k a year (for a short window only, then you could end up at mcdonalds wages again for a bit) all said and done, because as Wade said, you are out there straight killing yourself, legit risking your life, sometimes 7 days a week for periods of time with no off season. NHL players have like 15 min of ice time per game... playing in 1 minute shifts, the amount of money they make is totally enough for them to retire off of. you are working like 100x harder for like 100x less money. there just isnt the same kind of money in it, i understand. i think hockey is probably way harder to ocme up in than skateboarding is too but the gap is narrowing for sure but definintely like way more kids play hockey than skate where i live.

idk its like on one hand buddy is right saying well its not like you are really missin out on being a plumber or w/e you might as well go for it if you have the opportunity. i just think you should try and learn something else as well that is worth good money try and think of this from a young age like if you like doing stuff with computers start getting into software early on and keep doing that on the side while you are skating. i think university fuckin sucks unless you wanna be a doctor engineer or lawyer. i think being a teacher sucks i touched on that earlier. i think trades are hype as fuck you make great money and you learn so much about the world its just a lot of hard work (but very rewarding not just monetarily) and it seems like yo uhave to work with a lot of dip shits which is not good for my personality type. most pro skater i see try to make a business and a lot of them are really half baked ideas with the odd 1/100 that ends up working out cause they have probably good parents + backing. i know for sure they have a lot of free time that just gets wasted i think more companies should look at getting thier pros more educated / persuing stuff they are interested besides skating especially if it can positively help the comapny they are ridin for

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #139 on: September 23, 2021, 12:19:31 PM »

I don't know about that, feel like i've heard many times in interviews that a lot of the filming happens on weekends and that there's plenty of downtime. Think that pros could easily get some sort of education in a school that doesn't require too much attendance. Problem is that skate companies don't want to put much effort towards some guy who they don't think is committed to being a pro and isn't living that skater lifestyle 100%.

Also there are plenty of lower level hockey leagues where people get payed normal wages. A lot of the players are in a similar situation after their careers in terms of no education or work experience, but the difference is that there's much more guidance on what to do next provided by the leagues, you get connected with a lot of useful people in terms of jobs and business, and people in general respect you more for being a pro hockey player, so the employment rate for ex hockey players is pretty good. Hockey players usually come from middle to upper class families though, so that makes a big difference too

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 798
« Reply #140 on: September 23, 2021, 01:07:52 PM »
Chico should have been fully on Adidas..his Instagram is daily and better that 98% of dudes who are fully hooked up. Daily inspiration.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #141 on: September 23, 2021, 01:51:37 PM »
Chico should have been fully on Adidas..his Instagram is daily and better that 98% of dudes who are fully hooked up. Daily inspiration.
It's sick he started his own board thing, but I was really hoping after Normcore he'd fully get on Adidas/Palace.

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Rep: -137
« Reply #142 on: September 23, 2021, 02:36:04 PM »
Don’t be mad at them, be mad at the nigga negotiating your deals.
big texas cummer

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #143 on: September 23, 2021, 04:29:02 PM »
Getting paid to skate is a dream. I do it for free and love it.
100k a year is lower middle class in SoCal. I make that and live in an apt. I’m not struggling in the slightest but i am so far from rich. So far.

turd fergusion

• Rep: -6
« Reply #144 on: September 23, 2021, 04:35:13 PM »

Was so good! I saw a follow up video on that about how it’s gotten worst since the documentary too

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #145 on: September 23, 2021, 05:53:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I would think anyone who was pro for Crailtap between 1994 and 2001 had some years of great board sales.Even after that he probably made pretty good money. But, unless you invest smartly or are just making a ridiculous amount of cash, you aren''t making enough to never work after skating unless you are like Koston.

Yeah, it seems like a lot of pros from that era did real well for themselves, if they planned ahead. Obviously not a Craig skater, but I know Heath Kirchart was a famous tightwad. When other pros got their $100,000 shoe check, they went out and partied for two weeks straight. When Heath got a big check, he famously went to the store and bought a chest freezer so he could buy food in bulk and keep his roommates from stealing it. In his Epicly Later'd, someone said he goes to the grocery store on November 1 and buys all the discounted Halloween candy, storing it in his freezer until he wants to eat it. He planned ahead and now he's effectively retired; just working on things and in fields where he has an interest.

If you're not gonna be Nyjah, this is the way to do it.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Shesty

• Rep: -8
« Reply #146 on: September 24, 2021, 01:02:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Primitive has tiers for their team regarding salaries. Don't know the specifics of who's on what tier, but 100k is most likely near the top. If it's a Euro pro, he must mean Marek.
[close]

It has to be JB. No way Marek brings in a 100k euros.

Definitely Marek, he regularly puts out coverage, his other sponsors like Monster and Bones backs him heavy, is now well known Barca local and only relevant euro pro riding for primitive at the moment. I think he is still underrated and deserves more pro  graphics, at least 1 new per year next to his giraffe graphic.

I dont mean that JB is irrelevant, but I dont remeber anything from him after welcome to primitive part. It looks like he is EU Legacy pro and I doubt that some younger kids know who he is.