Author Topic: Some Primitive pros make even 100k at year.  (Read 12193 times)

somefucker

Re: Some Primitive pros make even 100k at year.
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2021, 11:57:47 AM »
honestly i used to think 100k was a lot but it really aint shit. but its what i am aiming to make right now and im still decentyl short. and honestly have no clue how id even make more money at this point., but for 1 person making it with no partner they can afford a decent condo or townhouse, defiintely nothing high end. but then you are forgetting the biggest piece of the puzzle. the shittiest part of being a pro skater is as your career ages, you actually make LESS and LESS money which fucking SUCKS dude. what other job is like that? i honestly cant think of a job that isnt like being a prostitute where you actually make LESS money as you get more experienced :s  you are so fucked after you retire you have no skills you have to hope one of the homeys in the industry hooks it up. but you must know its not going to be good money. you need to start saving from day 1 as a pro its wild how all these guys bought cars and stuff with absolutely zero thought towards thier spiraling downward income. if you kooked it even once along the way you are pretty fucked you better pack it up and start your apprenticeship in your 30s / 40s

Not entirely wrong - although a fair share of pros move into higher roles like TM, Marketing, etc. within their companies, a lot of them fall off due to up-and-comers, injuries, low board sales, lack of footy, public controversy, there are endless reasons. If you position yourself right, you can stay in the industry and I believe you're trying to boil skating as a career down to a few unpleasant truths.

On a side note, it seems as though you immediately smoke a fat rock before typing what you believe to be skate gospel when you come on this forum. Derail a different thread pls

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 611
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2021, 12:11:31 PM »
honestly i used to think 100k was a lot but it really aint shit. but its what i am aiming to make right now and im still decentyl short. and honestly have no clue how id even make more money at this point., but for 1 person making it with no partner they can afford a decent condo or townhouse, defiintely nothing high end. but then you are forgetting the biggest piece of the puzzle. the shittiest part of being a pro skater is as your career ages, you actually make LESS and LESS money which fucking SUCKS dude. what other job is like that? i honestly cant think of a job that isnt like being a prostitute where you actually make LESS money as you get more experienced :s  you are so fucked after you retire you have no skills you have to hope one of the homeys in the industry hooks it up. but you must know its not going to be good money. you need to start saving from day 1 as a pro its wild how all these guys bought cars and stuff with absolutely zero thought towards thier spiraling downward income. if you kooked it even once along the way you are pretty fucked you better pack it up and start your apprenticeship in your 30s / 40s

Absolutely agree. And that doesn't only goes for pros, also for regular skaters. Which is kinda sad to see, when some people are in their 30s and never learned a profession. Which brings me to my question, can you start a apprenticeship at that age?
IG: @flowterspace

GauchoAmigo

• Rep: 66
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2021, 12:17:34 PM »
Multiple people are really in this thread saying making 100k/year isn't enough to live in a major city. What the fuck

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2021, 12:42:58 PM »
I really hope Tiago is making 100k+ and getting paid in dollars ha!

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2021, 12:50:05 PM »
Multiple people are really in this thread saying making 100k/year isn't enough to live in a major city. What the fuck

Depending on the city you live in America, and if you have a family to provide to, the cost of rent+health insurance+raising kid......plus struggling to save enough for homeownership and the kid's college education. For me Its life crazy like...

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2021, 12:52:44 PM »
I really hope Tiago is making 100k+ and getting paid in dollars ha!

Same here.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2021, 01:00:58 PM »
This is hilarious. Imagine a thread on some NFL forum with a title like "Can you believe the Giants pay some players make 100k a year?!?"

No wonder Nike and Adidas love skateboarding so much. Our expectations are insanely low by pro sport standards.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2021, 01:04:41 PM »

This is close to what software engineers start out making here in San jose...and that shit is good

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2021, 01:09:05 PM »

Seriously. I’ve lived in Canada’s largest city - with one of the highest costs of living in the world - for years and made far less than that and never worried about rent or bills. Mind you I lived well within my means and didn’t buy shit I didn’t need.

If you have bad money habits and lack self control no salary will be enough for you. Look at countless numbers sports stars who go broke, even when earning more a year than most people will earn in multiple lifetimes.

creep3000

• Rep: 2
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2021, 01:09:28 PM »
crack mathics: 100'000 / 12 months = 8333 USD = 1 month.

Board royalties are what 10 or 5 bucks?  8333 / 10 = 833 boards to be sold a month world wide. And let's say 300 skate shops sell these 833 boards / 300 = 2,7 boards per one month by one shop.

Anybody know actual royalty amounts?

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2021, 01:37:53 PM »
It ain’t $10

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 115
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2021, 01:51:49 PM »
Most people, barring some extenuating circumstances, could live very comfortably on 100k a year. I’m not sure how much more you would expect to earn, this shit ain’t the NFL. I mean, if you can earn more get it, but I think being insulted by 100k a year is a bit ridiculous.

fongool

• Rep: 94
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2021, 01:54:53 PM »
crack mathics: 100'000 / 12 months = 8333 USD = 1 month.

Board royalties are what 10 or 5 bucks?  8333 / 10 = 833 boards to be sold a month world wide. And let's say 300 skate shops sell these 833 boards / 300 = 2,7 boards per one month by one shop.

Anybody know actual royalty amounts?

in the early days, royalties were $1/board until Rocco disrupted the industry and started paying riders $2/board

considering the price of boards has essentially remained the same since then, I can't imagine the royalty rate has increased significantly -- it's certainly nowhere near $10/each

doublesteveburger

« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2021, 01:59:44 PM »
That Dragonball Z money son

Kamehamehahaha all the way to the bank

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2021, 02:04:19 PM »
Median household income in California is $80k. That is to say usually two people working in the household. If you're one person making $100k and only taking care of yourself, you're fucking well off. Anyone saying otherwise is seriously out of touch.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2021, 03:05:48 PM »
Median household income in California is $80k. That is to say usually two people working in the household. If you're one person making $100k and only taking care of yourself, you're fucking well off. Anyone saying otherwise is seriously out of touch.

100k a year for a few years of a skate career is way different than having a 60k career path for decades. Your main source of income drying up in your 30s is the opposite of well of, thats terrifying

veritas

« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2021, 03:29:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

100k a year for a few years of a skate career is way different than having a 60k career path for decades. Your main source of income drying up in your 30s is the opposite of well of, thats terrifying

In addition to rent in LA you might have to spend a significant amount on Louis V purses and OffWhite nikes with the bread ties on them so 100k isn’t gonna cut it

thomascandia

« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2021, 04:09:48 PM »

You must choose a cheaper place than Usa, obviously, like Europe: Italy , Spain, where there are not any crazy privates health cares or insurances and where educations for your kids ( university included ) , are almost free.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2021, 04:22:37 PM »
Even if Wade and Spenny are making a 100k USD adapted to about 130k CAD isn't going particularly far if they are actually living in Toronto or Vancouver given real-estate and housing costs, and the precarious nature of their employment status in regards to getting loans/mortgages.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -380
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2021, 04:37:28 PM »
This is hilarious. Imagine a thread on some NFL forum with a title like "Can you believe the Giants pay some players make 100k a year?!?"

No wonder Nike and Adidas love skateboarding so much. Our expectations are insanely low by pro sport standards.

I heard street league X games and dew tour make 15 billion a year like the NFL...

Flen

• Rep: 4
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2021, 05:49:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I heard street league X games and dew tour make 15 billion a year like the NFL...

You must be joking……

HeavyAndExpensive

« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2021, 06:09:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Isn’t that common sense? Do many pros think this is a long term health conscious career? This is the nature of skating.

HeavyAndExpensive

« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2021, 06:14:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Even if Wade and Spenny are making a 100k USD adapted to about 130k CAD isn't going particularly far if they are actually living in Toronto or Vancouver given real-estate and housing costs, and the precarious nature of their employment status in regards to getting loans/mortgages.

If you’re not supporting other people 100k is more than enough to survive. Nobody is forcing you to live in the most expensive places ever. The idea that 100k isn’t enough to live on is almost insulting and offensive. Where do you live?

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2021, 06:15:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

In addition to rent in LA you might have to spend a significant amount on Louis V purses and OffWhite nikes with the bread ties on them so 100k isn’t gonna cut it
Nobody said it's retirement money. It's a job. When it's over you get another job. That next job could be years down the line if you saved adequately too. Enough time to go to school and get a skill. In no universe am I going to be worrying about a person clearing over $100k.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

HeavyAndExpensive

« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2021, 06:20:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Nobody said it's retirement money. It's a job. When it's over you get another job. That next job could be years down the line if you saved adequately too. Enough time to go to school and get a skill. In no universe am I going to be worrying about a person clearing over $100k.

Thank you I feel I’m in bizarro world

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2021, 08:36:34 PM »
For someone just diggin their trick bag 100k isn't shabby
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2021, 09:23:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

If you’re not supporting other people 100k is more than enough to survive. Nobody is forcing you to live in the most expensive places ever. The idea that 100k isn’t enough to live on is almost insulting and offensive. Where do you live?
I don't think you understand Toronto or Vancouver real estate. Yes, it's quality money, but using the usual logic of you can afford a house that is 5x your yearly income you are at best maybe buying a 2 bedroom condo in either of those cities right now or maybe a real fixer upper of house. Affordable housing in these 2 cities is a major issue, and I say that as a resident of Toronto. This is before you get into the fact these guys don't have guaranteed long-term income that would make them favorable candidates to lend too. So, you are sinking money into being a renter, not acquiring equity or creating long-term savings. Which is why most home buyers in Toronto or Vancouver are duel income households or have significant family support.

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2021, 09:53:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
I don't think you understand Toronto or Vancouver real estate. Yes, it's quality money, but using the usual logic of you can afford a house that is 5x your yearly income you are at best maybe buying a 2 bedroom condo in either of those cities right now or maybe a real fixer upper of house. Affordable housing in these 2 cities is a major issue, and I say that as a resident of Toronto. This is before you get into the fact these guys don't have guaranteed long-term income that would make them favorable candidates to lend too. So, you are sinking money into being a renter, not acquiring equity or creating long-term savings. Which is why most home buyers in Toronto or Vancouver are duel income households or have significant family support.

Fair point about the cost to own a home in Vancouver or Toronto. The same could be said about skaters living in SF or NYC. And that assumes they want to buy houses there. Maybe their goal is to live out of town. Or maybe they’re happy owning a home further out in the suburbs.
Maybe the loan criteria in Canada is different, but having been through a home loan and refinance here in the states, I don’t think they are checking on a guaranteed long term income. None of our incomes are truly guaranteed long term. And I say this as someone who also gets my income from freelance work. They want proof that you’ve had an income and currently have that income. If their accounting is up to date (they’re skaters so probably not) it wouldn’t be a problem to qualify for a loan they can afford. That loan won’t buy a house in the heart of Vancouver. Maybe they have to live in Surrey or Abbotsford if they really want to own a house.

100k a year is a great income and is above average for most of the us.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2021, 10:07:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm always amazed by how some posters don't think X amount of money for a skateboarder is possible.

Let's just break it down from a brand perspective here (not the brand mentioned in the thread, but ANY big board company right now)

We're talking about niche global brands.

This brand in particular has 1.5 million Instagram followers. A few retail stores. Boards are available in shops from Tokyo to Toronto. On top of that, eCommerce is likely a huge amount of the brand's biz.

But board companies aren't just "board" companies. They sell a large number of soft goods. Clothing probably accounts for most of their profits (margin-wise). Mark up on soft goods (backpacks to baseball caps to beanies) is huge.

From this point on, it's pure speculation on my part.

But let's just imagine this brand is doing 10,000,000 USD in total revenue per year.

Most marketing-driven businesses spend (or reinvest) about 10-15% of their revenue into marketing.

Skateboarding is the definition of a marketing-driven biz. And the primary vehicle for skate marketing is the skaters themselves.

10% of 10,000,000 USD is 1,000,000 USD.

Let's say a team is made up of 8 to 15 skaters. A 100,000 USD salary isn't out of the question. If the team has 10 pro skaters and each skater is paid the same, they're each making that amount.

But skateboarding is a meritocracy. Each skater has a different worth depending on their skill and reach (marketability).

So board brand salaries above that aren't out of the question.

Throughout history on this message board, we've heard stories of pros making huge amounts off board and shoe royalties. Royalties are a factor too.

But this is just an overview of how a brand this size could spend its money on its biggest marketing tools (skaters themselves). And how those pieces of pies could be divided up.
[close]
Who said it isn’t possible? It’s definitely been possible in the past, I’m skeptical that Primitive is paying people that much now. Especially when the basis for saying they do is some rando making a claim on the internet and you making assumptions about how profitable this company is and how much it decides to pay people.
[close]

People (on here) were saying that primitive was broke, and then the next day they released the video of their new TF.  I don't think anybody around here knows anything at all.

Now you’ve got a statement.

ThisFuckingDude

• Rep: -11
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2021, 10:22:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
pay schoolteachers 100k

the way this society distributes equity is so fucked
[close]

School teachers have about 4 months off a year. All holidays. And don’t even work a full day. For how much they work, they make a lot
[close]
Nah teachers make fuck all. And they generally do a lot of work preparing classes, marking work and dealing with so much other bullshit. Half the time the end up being free social workers.
Don't really see why skaters and teachers pay should be compared tho the money's not coming from the same place.
I live on Long Island tenured teachers make over $100k here. The cost of living here is about $120k year for a family of 4 in a decent neighborhood without a fancy house. A house out here is usually around $400k for a 3 bedroom 1.5 bath ranch. That being said $100k a year ain’t shit anymore. Any of you guys that think otherwise are out of touch. I make about $75k and that really isn’t much. I can afford a decent apartment and drive a nice leased Jeep Grand Cherokee but don’t wanna try to bring a kid in this world before I’m clearing $100k. It honestly makes me sad that some of you still think that’s a lot of money. To put things in perspective construction workers in Ny usually make about $100k plus.