Author Topic: Transition Tricks To Learn  (Read 1890 times)

RottenToTheCore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
Transition Tricks To Learn
« on: October 19, 2021, 05:08:42 AM »
My transition progress has been stagnant for a couple months and I'm wondering what tricks I should learn next to have a solid foundation for transition skating (specifically miniramp)

So far I can, roll in, rock to fakie, bs5050, bs and fs slash, rock and roll, and switch rock.

animalflesh

Re: Transition Tricks To Learn
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 06:09:22 AM »
My transition progress has been stagnant for a couple months and I'm wondering what tricks I should learn next to have a solid foundation for transition skating (specifically miniramp)

So far I can, roll in, rock to fakie, bs5050, bs and fs slash, rock and roll, and switch rock.

Roll in FS and BS?
Fakie rock
FS and BS lapover grinds
FS 5050
Fly out into roll in without pushing (FS and BS)

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 06:13:13 AM »
Front rock for sure.
Fs/Bs Disaster are really fun
Feeble fakie most definitely.

hotdogsweatpants

• Rep: 67
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 06:17:33 AM »
Fakie tail stall
Fakie BS axle stall
Fakie FS axle stall

BS pivot/5-0
BS smith

FS axle then FS 5050
The pant situation is out of control at this point

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 06:22:04 AM »
Well in transition there are lots of tricks to learn once you have some basics down:

1.) If you can rock to fakie you can learn feeble stalls to fakie, once you got them down, you can learn pivot fakies or axle fakies. But please be advised, that you must not revert them, this is for people who wear chain-wallets.

2.) If you can do board stalls, you can learn proper rocks and rock&rolls where your back trock are flush with the coping and the the rock is completely decked. They are usually easier on steeper transition.

3.) If you can drop in, you can do sweepers or beanplants. Both are extremely fun and are a good foundation for more exciting tricks such as a lien to tail.

4.) If you can kickturn you could learn tailtaps. They are usually easier on poolcoping, but are also possible on steelcoping. Backside ones worked better for me but its really a preference thing.

5.) If you can do switch rocks try to learn them with a fakie ollie in, from there you can get comfortable with any disaster trick such as a back disaster or a frontside disaster. Also you can do fakie ollies into smith stalls, which is easier than a regular smith-stop or smithgrind.

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 11:36:33 AM »
Well in transition there are lots of tricks to learn once you have some basics down:

1.) If you can rock to fakie you can learn feeble stalls to fakie, once you got them down, you can learn pivot fakies or axle fakies. But please be advised, that you must not revert them, this is for people who wear chain-wallets.

2.) If you can do board stalls, you can learn proper rocks and rock&rolls where your back trock are flush with the coping and the the rock is completely decked. They are usually easier on steeper transition.

3.) If you can drop in, you can do sweepers or beanplants. Both are extremely fun and are a good foundation for more exciting tricks such as a lien to tail.

4.) If you can kickturn you could learn tailtaps. They are usually easier on poolcoping, but are also possible on steelcoping. Backside ones worked better for me but its really a preference thing.

5.) If you can do switch rocks try to learn them with a fakie ollie in, from there you can get comfortable with any disaster trick such as a back disaster or a frontside disaster. Also you can do fakie ollies into smith stalls, which is easier than a regular smith-stop or smithgrind.

What is a tail tap, and what is a backside tail tap

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 11:42:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think its when you smack the tail on the coping when rolling in, it makes a cool sound

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 11:44:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I think its when you smack the tail on the coping when rolling in, it makes a cool sound

Oh fuck that would be so nice, I love any tail smack/firecracker variation

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 01:54:29 PM »
For whatever reason I found nose tricks on transition easiest after rock fakie/rock n roll so if what others have suggested doesn't work maybe try nollie pop rock n roll/to fakie(you just do a quick nosemanny and bump off the coping, you don't actually pop a nollie), nosestall fakie, nosestall revert(sorta kickturn like a rock n roll) nosepivot fakie

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1440
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2021, 03:55:53 PM »
Fakie Smith definitely.
Frontside 50-50
Maybe footplants

dofrenzy

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2021, 05:49:08 PM »
I am pretty new to skateboarding and have been doing mostly transition.  2 of my favorites are half-cab-rock to fakie and fakie tail stall. 

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2021, 12:13:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

TailBlock / TailTap call them what you want:

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2021, 02:52:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I consider this an advanced trick if done on pool coping.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2021, 03:16:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I consider this an advanced trick if done on pool coping.

me too. Love it btw. Very stylish done crail.

Frontside rocks are not easy either.

If you can bs 50-50 well, the most obvious candidates are backside pivot and bs 5-0 grind. Plus maybe alley-oop bs 50-50.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2021, 03:27:33 AM »
tailstalls are essential, and halfcab rocks are an easy and fun one. learn to grind those 5050s too
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2021, 04:00:28 AM »
Learn frontside ollies early, it's a great feeling trick and will unlock other cool stuff like frontside disasters or lipslides, or sweepers and lien to tails. Maybe make sure you become comfortable at riding transition both frontside and backside because getting too familiar with just one way at the expense of the other might come to bite you in the ass later. Also the New Deal type of stuff where you ride into and play around with nosepick position is accessible and really fun (both ways). Personal favorite in terms of feeling is attempting backside nosegrinds like that that usually don't grind but just going back in from the position feels like a pivot fakie except switch which is nice.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2021, 08:45:38 AM »
Super easy but impressive to some: Tail stall revert and switch feeble to fakie (grind them also).