Author Topic: recommendations for good shaped blank decks  (Read 1152 times)

kilgoret

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -35
recommendations for good shaped blank decks
« on: September 24, 2021, 10:55:04 AM »
anyone have any recommendations for good shaped blank decks i could try. really like this ronnie sandoval krooked size/shape combo but from what i have noticed, pretty unique shape/size in general.

thanks.

FrozenIndustries

Re: recommendations for good shaped blank decks
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 11:39:42 AM »
They may not have what you're looking for ATM but SoCal is really good about carrying blank shaped boards

https://socalskateshop.com/Blank-Skateboard-Decks.html

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 03:29:48 PM »
So Cal is a good start for blank and shop deck options - wood from Prime and Clutch.

Besides that particular shape, are you thinking more of the price, eg cheaper decks as blanks, more than anything?

Shop boards will often be a cheaper option, with some shops having a decent line of shapes too.

Some of the main shops have good quality decks (mostly in popsicles but some shapes too) in their shop board lines, which are usually good boards at less than pro wood prices.

I guess though, if you like a specific shape such as that one, you know you are getting top quality wood as well from that Krooked deck, so with discount codes or some searching, you could possibly find it for a bit less than the usual RRP.

Fhk

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 03:41:48 PM »
So Cal is a good start for blank and shop deck options - wood from Prime and Clutch.

Besides that particular shape, are you thinking more of the price, eg cheaper decks as blanks, more than anything?

Shop boards will often be a cheaper option, with some shops having a decent line of shapes too.

Some of the main shops have good quality decks (mostly in popsicles but some shapes too) in their shop board lines, which are usually good boards at less than pro wood prices.

I guess though, if you like a specific shape such as that one, you know you are getting top quality wood as well from that Krooked deck, so with discount codes or some searching, you could possibly find it for a bit less than the usual RRP.
I love the prime shaped decks from SoCal. Absolutely no complaints after skating two of them last year.

kilgoret

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 07:05:26 PM »

just really into blanks these days. reminds me of back in the day and fits into my deal now. and the low price is always great but i understand what you mean with sometimes lower quality as well.

that krooked shape is pretty idea for me because of the 8.2 size, which you rarely see with shaped boards.

i know of so cal and have been periodically following for awhile, waiting for something to pop up but nothing yet. hopefully soon.

thanks for the info.

by the way, do you think prime and so cal is totally different wood and manufacturing on their blanks?

edit: it says so cal is made in mexico. anyone try so cal's blanks?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 07:15:07 PM by kilgoret »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 04:21:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

just really into blanks these days. reminds me of back in the day and fits into my deal now. and the low price is always great but i understand what you mean with sometimes lower quality as well.

that krooked shape is pretty idea for me because of the 8.2 size, which you rarely see with shaped boards.

i know of so cal and have been periodically following for awhile, waiting for something to pop up but nothing yet. hopefully soon.

thanks for the info.

by the way, do you think prime and so cal is totally different wood and manufacturing on their blanks?

I think their more recent decks were Clutch, so the Made in Mexico would most likely be for them. 

The other main ones being BBS and PS Stix are also Mexico, but I don't think they have supplied many shops and definitely no blanks since covid.

Prime was USA.

Clutch often does shorter wheelbases too, from some other boards, so was even thinking some of those slightly wider boards could be shaped down, but that might be a bit too much trouble.

I know when I have found something I liked, I bought all of them I could, but more recently I have been trying to make sure anything I get I know is a common size and shape so I can get a lot more of them, no matter what the brand, but more so the woodshop (and found quite a few on sale, so got some good deals on boards I will happily sand back if needed too).

kilgoret

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 08:18:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

thanks for the info.

[close]

I think their more recent decks were Clutch, so the Made in Mexico would most likely be for them. 

The other main ones being BBS and PS Stix are also Mexico, but I don't think they have supplied many shops and definitely no blanks since covid.

Prime was USA.

Clutch often does shorter wheelbases too, from some other boards, so was even thinking some of those slightly wider boards could be shaped down, but that might be a bit too much trouble.

I know when I have found something I liked, I bought all of them I could, but more recently I have been trying to make sure anything I get I know is a common size and shape so I can get a lot more of them, no matter what the brand, but more so the woodshop (and found quite a few on sale, so got some good deals on boards I will happily sand back if needed too).

nice, thanks for the info. heard about clutch a bunch here but don't think i ever had any.

ahh..yes, stocking up when it's a good deal is always good, especially with things you know won't last.

looks like i'll have to size up some when i want to get into the shape decks it seems, which is fine as i don't have tons of years flipping my board in tons of ways much anymore anyhow. thanks again for the info.

GGK42069

• Rep: 4
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 12:17:38 PM »

I got lucky, my local (slappys garage) has BBS shop decks and occasionally puts out some football shapes. turned out to be a really great way to try out something different without shelling out too much money on a gamble

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 04:31:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I got lucky, my local (slappys garage) has BBS shop decks and occasionally puts out some football shapes. turned out to be a really great way to try out something different without shelling out too much money on a gamble

Yeah there are definitely quite a few good shops out there that do that.

Others like 35th Ave had a good range of boards, some bigger and wider all round too.

I recall Tactics had that squared off shape around 9" that others on here got, some repainted and all that too.

Not sure how many shops are still getting BBS or similar wood since covid issues, but I think those who had the good relationships and maybe some connections are still doing well for their shop boards.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 08:06:51 PM »
Black Market Skates has some good shaped shop decks that are a bit cheaper. If it has to be blank, I would def recommend a Clutch / So Cal blank. Wood is good and I’ve never had any problems.

Toskana

• Rep: 0
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2021, 09:41:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

For real, slappy's garage shop decks go hard, OP if you have a chance give them a shot, pretty chill skateshop too