Author Topic: Skateboarding in the news thread  (Read 7277 times)

Tear Up a Trick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
Skateboarding in the news thread
« on: September 26, 2021, 06:05:59 AM »
Instead of starting threads for stuff like this, you can just throw it here, like this New York Times Day in the Life of Alexis Sablone article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/24/nyregion/alexis-sablone-olympics-skateboarding.html

flippy lippy

• Rep: -23
Re: Skateboarding in the news thread
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 07:06:45 AM »
You can actually already find all the skate news articles in one place, they are in the garbage.

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 07:26:40 AM »

Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 11:10:38 AM »
This thread made me think about something: I noticed recently that skateboarding is used in marketing to symbolise being young, cool etc. For example there are skateboarders on Evian bottles, a young mum skates and gets hurt in an ad for sticking plaster, I saw skaters in an ad for a bank, even a law firm lately, and the Swiss government used a skater in the vaccine campaign.

Is this a new thing or was it always there? It feels like the system appropriates skate culture for its purpose, but I bet if you‘d skate in the parking lot of that bank it would be a bust.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

RottenToTheCore

• Rep: 10
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 11:52:31 AM »
This thread made me think about something: I noticed recently that skateboarding is used in marketing to symbolise being young, cool etc. For example there are skateboarders on Evian bottles, a young mum skates and gets hurt in an ad for sticking plaster, I saw skaters in an ad for a bank, even a law firm lately, and the Swiss government used a skater in the vaccine campaign.

Is this a new thing or was it always there? It feels like the system appropriates skate culture for its purpose, but I bet if you‘d skate in the parking lot of that bank it would be a bust.

we live in a society

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 06:23:36 PM »

I think you should take this as an invitation, and when they kick you out, just remind them you’re simply collecting on what’s due/owed.
“They owe. Oh,  they owe!”

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Crusty Grundle

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 09:45:51 AM »

What's interesting is that most people don't even think skating is cool. It's like the people in charge of marketing for these agencies are trying to tap into something that is going to make them appear to be "hip" or "cool". Talk to any mid twenties person... 95% of them think skating is for kooks and prepubescent kids. The majority of the population view skaters like how skaters view scooter kids, they don't differentiate between the two.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2021, 11:29:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What's interesting is that most people don't even think skating is cool. It's like the people in charge of marketing for these agencies are trying to tap into something that is going to make them appear to be "hip" or "cool". Talk to any mid twenties person... 95% of them think skating is for kooks and prepubescent kids. The majority of the population view skaters like how skaters view scooter kids, they don't differentiate between the two.

I can imagine that they would feel like this watching me eat shit trying to kickflip up a curb at the bus stop.

By the way @Lou Strux I skated the bank parking lot. No bust, and they have a nice low flatbar too.
why come?

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2021, 12:43:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

67% of people throwing out random statistics tend to be 97% wrong.   All the time.

Crusty Grundle

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 01:08:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

67% of people throwing out random statistics tend to be 97% wrong.   All the time.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/morganmurrell/random-facts-you-should-know

Ayanami

• Rep: 55
i like the tiny headed bear who says nice stuff to everyone.

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2021, 02:11:56 PM »
Can someone make a video part of all the best tricks done that were aired on news stations (contests and actual pros may or may not count)

ineedthis

• Rep: -39
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2021, 02:28:25 PM »
The older I get the more I feel like Dr. Steve Brule when someone rides by with multi-colored camo pants and griptape.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2021, 06:34:24 PM »
usually when sk8ing is the news its some masked up plant wearing all black breaking a window. or its the opposite some nerd thanking their city for a new park

Jimmy The Saint

• Rep: 11
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2021, 06:48:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No. Skating is a lot more accepted and liked compared to 20 - 30 years ago. Parks are getting built and it's being included in the Olympics and advertising because more people like it, not less. 
"Give it a name."

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2021, 03:13:49 AM »
I literally had some dude on a bike yell skateboarding’s for nerds at me two days ago.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2021, 04:40:41 AM »
I had an old woman berating me for skating the bus stop telling me it was not a playground.  A few minutes earlier, the bus driver at the same bus stop gave me props for a kickflip heelflip line.
why come?

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2021, 02:18:18 PM »
For some reason the NY Times is really focused on skateboarding these days.  It must be fit to print.

Here is a story from today about Pearl Jam wanting to make Montano the skateboard capital of the world.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/09/30/sports/montana-skateboarding-jeff-ament.html

Crusty Grundle

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2021, 04:30:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
No. Skating is a lot more accepted and liked compared to 20 - 30 years ago. Parks are getting built and it's being included in the Olympics and advertising because more people like it, not less.

Sure skating is more in the public eye than it was 20-30 years ago... but if you think it's more acceptable, your fooling yourself. The majority of society thinks skaters are goofy, they rather obsess over a Kardashian. The only reason it gets put in commercials and advertising is because someone on the PR team used to skate 20-30 years ago and they still have a soft spot in their heart for it. City's build parks for the same reason, someone on the committee used to skate and the constituents want the skaters to stop grinding the curbs and rails out front of their business. The Olympics used skateboarding for publicity... to create a buzz, there's been talk of putting skateboarding in the Olympics for 30 years, now when the ratings suck, they announce skateboarding as an event.

TheFandangler

• Rep: 14
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2021, 09:12:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Sure skating is more in the public eye than it was 20-30 years ago... but if you think it's more acceptable, your fooling yourself. The majority of society thinks skaters are goofy, they rather obsess over a Kardashian. The only reason it gets put in commercials and advertising is because someone on the PR team used to skate 20-30 years ago and they still have a soft spot in their heart for it. City's build parks for the same reason, someone on the committee used to skate and the constituents want the skaters to stop grinding the curbs and rails out front of their business. The Olympics used skateboarding for publicity... to create a buzz, there's been talk of putting skateboarding in the Olympics for 30 years, now when the ratings suck, they announce skateboarding as an event.

No. You’re wrong. Skateboarding is definitely more acceptable than it was 20 years ago, and infinitely more acceptable than it was 30 years ago. They didn’t just decide to put skateboarding in the Olympics over night. That was years of hard work by the organizations that got it there. Wasn’t Nyjah on GQ recently? Many people that skated as kids or had friends that did are now a good chunk of the adult/parent age group and have a far more open mind to activities like skateboarding than a lot of our Boomer parents did. I mean the amount of skateparks speak for themselves. I promise, the huge number of skateparks popping up is not the result of one old skater in every city and fed-up citizens. You must have a very cynical worldview if that is your gut instinct, rather than a growing acceptance of skateboarding as a whole.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2021, 10:33:07 PM »
Lol they always say ‘chairman of the board’
listen to cosmic psychos

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2021, 07:12:29 AM »
ya idk where dude got the idea that skating isnt more acceptable now. most karens think its hip and every other chads been tictacing around for the last few years. currently theres too many ppl with zumies completes or penny boards and dumb shit like that like its a cool prop without even trying to learn

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2021, 07:22:00 AM »
@skateboardinghistory_clipped

Brguy

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2021, 10:41:36 AM »
They think it's cool until they meet us, come on people, face it, we're all dorks.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2021, 11:27:06 AM »

Thank you for posting that pic of me practicing my one foots on my new longboard

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2021, 11:57:50 AM »
I feel like nowadays skateboarding attracts some different people as like 15 years ago. I can't count the times some jock saw me skating and asked to try my board. Probably thinking, "if that fat nerd can do that, I can do that too".

Me, the fat nerd spent a lot of time to learn kickflips and the jock realizes, that shit is actually difficult and continues to play with some kind of ball or tune his car. (You can insert here a paragraph about our society, which doesn't want to put in work and want fast success and attention, but that's just me yelling at clouds, and I don't feel that old yet with 30.)

I also heard a few woman (30+ years old) telling me, they prefer skating men over other men. I mean, there are men which just walk around with their homies, acting hard, listen to weird music, go to shopping malls and play Fifa. And that's it, that's their life.

And no, we as skaters are not better people because we play with that "cool" toy, but I think we are at least a bit more interesting.

TLDR Some people maybe think skateboarding is interesting.
IG: @flowterspace

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2021, 12:20:53 PM »
A little field experiment: Over the last two weeks I spent 6 days at the bus stop trying the same line for hundreds of times. People came and went all the time.  99% did not interact with me. Passed by or watched me bemusedly. Then there were a few people who interacted with me:

• One kid asked me how old I was and when I told him I was 43, he gave me props and said I had good tricks.
  • One old dude talked friendly to me and cheered when I landed the tricks.
  • One old lady did the same, she was very sweet.
  • My ex-neighbour and his kids watched me and gave props.
  • One middle aged dude asked me if I wasn't too young to do it (supposed to be funny but came across mockingly).
  • One bus driver gave me props.
  • The football coach said "it's not that easy, is it?".
  • One old lady berated me and threatened to call the cops (which she didn't).
  • Really small kids are often fascinated and some were nagging when their parents dragged them away while they were watching me.

So most people are indifferent. Of course I cannot read their mind, they might well have thought that I am a kook. The age segments most genuinely interested are young kids and elderly people.

Thanks for reading.
why come?

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2021, 12:31:04 PM »
at the last restaurant the dishwasher got a penny board and another line cook started longboarding after they saw my bloard lmao