Author Topic: What stance are you, and what is your dominant leg?  (Read 2062 times)

jonnysheen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -63
What stance are you, and what is your dominant leg?
« on: September 30, 2021, 02:48:11 AM »
...and does it matter?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
Re: What stance are you, and what is your dominant leg?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 02:56:24 AM »
Goofy, right leg.

My friend is goody and left leg, and he swears it ducked him up, he should’ve been regular
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 04:13:44 AM »
Regular stance. I kick a ball with my right foot but would balance on my left if I needed to. 

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 04:15:26 AM »
Goofy, right.  Don’t know if it matters.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 04:19:40 AM »
Regular. Right. Why would you push with your weaker leg?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 04:40:05 AM »
I'm regular.
If i had to kick a ball I would do it with my right leg.
But if I run and jump as far/high as I can, I jump from my left leg. Is that normal?

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 04:40:19 AM »
Regular. Right. Why would you push with your weaker leg?

Just what came naturally.  Why would you want to support all your body weight with your weaker leg?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Fhk

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 05:39:25 AM »
I'm regular.
If i had to kick a ball I would do it with my right leg.
But if I run and jump as far/high as I can, I jump from my left leg. Is that normal?
If it isn't normal, at least we are in this shit together.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2021, 05:42:52 AM »
Regular.
I'd kick a ball with my right foot but I don't think that's how dominant leg works. Usually you use one limb more as power and one more as control.
I think sometimes going the "wrong" way can actually be a big advantage. There are many left handed guitarists that learn on right handed guitars. My sister is left handed and learnt on a right handed guitar really fast later she got a left handed guitar and thought it was way harder I'm right handed and thought playing her left handed guitar was easier.

backone

• Rep: 8
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2021, 06:10:40 AM »
goofy right leg

moving further up the body, I write/draw/jack with my left hand and throw ball/punches with right

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2021, 06:54:45 AM »
Goofy with left leg dominant

Anxiously awaiting the discussion in this thread that allows me to believe that I'm bad at skating because of my freak biology instead of a lack of ability.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2021, 08:03:45 AM »
I tend to agree that right leg/side dominant is regular foot.  I focus on the stance ie if you bat right your left leg is forward, right handed tennis, left foot forward.  Even when I bussed tables, pick up with right, carry left, left foot forward.  Even when I swim, i breath left, I consider that regular foot....driving...shoulder checking right?  It's switch.....

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2021, 08:19:37 AM »
skating regular..but kicking a ball, right foot dominant. for hands i'm a lefty when writing, using the scissors/knife, playing tennis,badminton, javelin. but right handed when playing bowling, shotput, discuss throwing and using the computer mouse/trackpad.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2021, 04:40:58 PM »
Regular and Right.

Tasks I have seen listed for leg dominance include kicking (right), drawing in the sand (right), stomping a bug (right), first leg to stand on a chair (right), picking up marbles with foot (right) and balancing (left)

I assume that my preference for balancing on the left comes from pushing while skating.

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2021, 09:24:51 PM »
Regular and right.

It was just easier to push with my stronger leg when I was younger.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2021, 06:25:51 AM »
...and does it matter?

most of the best switch skaters i know are right handed, goofy skaters. Or Left handed, regular skaters. It's no coincidence.
ONTARIO CANADA

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2021, 06:46:06 AM »
Expand Quote
...and does it matter?
[close]

most of the best switch skaters i know are right handed, goofy skaters. Or Left handed, regular skaters. It's no coincidence.
I think it's that thing how there's so many great lefty guitarists. Like everyone else is actually doing it wrong.

My theory is it made sense when things started like your dumb leg just stands there while your dominant pushes but later as skating progressed your front leg actually does all the hard stuff (sliding, flicking etc) so it would be probably easier to be lefty regular, righty goofy

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2021, 12:59:29 PM »
Goofy right leg

Brguy

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2021, 07:50:27 PM »
Goofy right leg. There really is a lot of nuance in this and it will change for everyone. The dominant leg might be used for strength in pop and pushing, delicacy for flicking and stuff and/or balance when you're pushing with the other leg, God only knows how any of this comes into play as a beginner and once you learn things.

dime a dozen trend skater

• Rep: 6
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2021, 09:31:07 PM »
Goofy, right foot dominant. I am wayyyy better at nose grinds, nose manuals, crooked grinds, and noseslides than any back foot grinds. I also really struggle with "doing nothing" with my front foot on 360 flips and if I fuck up a kickflip it is usually because I am leaning forward. IDK if any of this is related.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2021, 11:44:25 AM »
Goofy, right foot dominant. I am wayyyy better at nose grinds, nose manuals, crooked grinds, and noseslides than any back foot grinds. I also really struggle with "doing nothing" with my front foot on 360 flips and if I fuck up a kickflip it is usually because I am leaning forward. IDK if any of this is related.

I'm regular, right-foot dominant and would describe myself the exact same way, so I don't know, seems pretty random after reading this thread. I can't skate switch for shit and never will as much as I try. Also used to push mongo for years as a kid (no one ever told me), but transitioned pretty easily.

Interesting topic though.

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2021, 01:56:23 PM »
allright. lets clear something up. its not really black and white what a dominant leg is it seems. the more coordinated leg is usually the right leg, you have more control with that leg. the stronger leg is usually the left, its the leg you put your weight on when your right leg is doing a task. people also usually jump from their left leg cause its stronger. (like some of you mentioned you did)
now some people define dominant leg as the stronger while others define its as the more coordinated one.

so people generally balance on their left leg cause its stronger. but kick with their right cause its more accurate.
now here comes skateboarding. both ways work. balance on your stronger/more stable left leg when skating regular. or flick with your more coordinated right foot when skating goofy. pretty sure this will all even out after skating for a while anyway.

"A recent study with more than 12,000 participants found that just like for handedness, most people have a right-sided preference (Tran and Voracek, 2016). Overall, there were 61.6 percent right-footers, 8.2 percent left-footers, and 30.2 percent mixed-footers. Thus, the numbers of left-handers and left-footers are comparable. However, there is a much higher number of people who are mixed-footed than mixed-handed or ambidextrous. This is likely caused by the fact that we have to choose a hand for writing, but it is not as important to have a preferred foot to carry out foot-specific activities in everyday life."

"Since this left leg is used for stability, the right leg supports more fine motor coordination, such as providing the right “touch” when striking a soccer ball. While the biggest role in the development of this lateral dominance is repetition, other major reasons are not fully agreed upon. Perhaps the most likely theory is that the left cerebral hemisphere, or left half of the brain, controls the right side of the body. This left hemisphere is generally dominant, giving the right side of the body better neuromuscular control. We often think of movement purely in terms of muscles and joints (muscular), but the body is a system and movement is driven by the brain (neuro)."

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2021, 04:49:09 PM »
Did you just assume my stance?

southphillytapwater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2021, 05:35:05 PM »
I'm regular and left footed. I always thought that made sense because flicking is a similar motion to kicking a ball. But apparently I'm an outlier.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2021, 06:10:10 PM »
I’m regular and right leg dominant.  I definitely pushed mongo for my first year or so skating which makes no sense in retrospect because I was pushing with my non-dominant leg.  It did result in me being able to push “correctly” comfortably both regular and switch once I moved on from mongo. 

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2021, 09:30:59 PM »
Goofy and right.

As a teenager, switch and nollie were impossible. I feel more capable now, but haven’t put in the time.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2021, 10:24:10 PM »
Regular and right footed.

Not that it matters, but with the exception of just clicking around, I literally can not skate switch and I refuse to try anymore.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Brguy

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2021, 05:46:13 AM »
I'm regular and left footed. I always thought that made sense because flicking is a similar motion to kicking a ball. But apparently I'm an outlier.
Aren't you an outlier anyways just for being left footed?

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2021, 10:34:14 AM »
Regular
Right leg dominate

But my left leg is stronger. 30+ years of standing on it while the other pushes

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2021, 10:55:57 AM »
Regular and left footed. I wonder if this is why I've never been able to do, what is in my opinion the most beautiful ledge trick, bs nollies crook. I can't float straight towards the ledge in that direction. The board and my body always rotate towards a noseslide in best case scenarios.