Poll

Is Leo Valls tight or wack?

Tight
Wack

Author Topic: Leo Valls, tight or wack  (Read 10708 times)

Velcro Wallet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 214
Re: Leo Valls, tight or wack
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2021, 01:39:25 PM »
Tight

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2021, 07:24:45 PM »
Met the dude in Berlin during a DC trip event. Very humble and down to earth. Just cares about skating and it's acceptability in the public eye and equal representation therein. Nothing underlying. Most genuine, well respecting dude. Even shared his hotspot.

shredslap

• Rep: -2
« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2021, 08:25:26 PM »
Watching him skate is so rad. I feel like his clips would stoke someone up if they were playing at a skateshop. Like the fast paced cuts and skating....... he's just getting people stoked to even go push

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2021, 12:21:40 AM »
Couple of favorites:

by @bataaard

by Yoan Taillandier

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2021, 01:57:32 AM »
Hell yeah was gonna post that Frame by Frame part ^^^
Definitely my favorite full part of his along with Minuit. I forgot how much I liked that Bordeaux capsule too.

Now I’m thinking about the Marseille one and how raw that shit is. If that last line doesn’t get you stoked then I feel sorry for you.
Leo’s stuff starts around the 4:30 mark

Grind King Rims

« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2021, 06:00:00 AM »
I'm not reading this thread, but Leo totally rules

douchenozzle

• Rep: 32
  • "I am the party"-DLR
« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2021, 06:37:21 AM »
He looks good on a skateboard but his skill set doesnt warrant a pro model

work_lurker

• Rep: 69
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2021, 07:00:26 AM »
It appears he is a very humble, down to earth skate rat, guilty of the high crimes of swongo and the immediate revert back to regs after doing a 180 trick. He will live on indefinitely in the minds of his 12 most loyal fans, but the majority of us will move on and forget how to fully pronounce his name soon enough.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

AdditionalSlip

• Rep: -27
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2021, 04:52:30 AM »

Our boy Leo V, he's doing fine.

MadeYouLook

• Rep: 22
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2021, 06:46:30 AM »

I enjoyed that!

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2021, 06:49:56 AM »
tight, but only in small doses. great for instagram clips, but kinda lame if you watch an entire video part.

overall, i'm fully in favor of anyone who approaches skating from a different angle than usual, even if it isn't the coolest thing ever. makes me want to get out there and do something weird myself. it's supposed to be fun, right?

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2021, 07:04:36 AM »
Obviously he’s tight. Getting paid to do what he likes. Having fun, on a skateboard? Man that’s so fucking wack. And y’all are having a conversation about it? Ask yourself who’s really whack.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

IpathCats

« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2021, 08:05:08 AM »
Obviously he’s tight. Getting paid to do what he likes. Having fun, on a skateboard? Man that’s so fucking wack. And y’all are having a conversation about it? Ask yourself who’s really whack.

This is one of the most common SLAP takes, you see it on every thread. People try to use the fact that we're talking about things on a skate forum as some kind of evidence to support whatever their opinion is. We are all aware of the conversation we are having, thank you.

Then he combines it with the classic "iF hE'S hAViNg FuN, ThAt'S aLl tHaT mAtTeRs!" standard ass bargain bin store brand take.

We're not talking about having fun, we're talking about whether or not he's tight or wack according to a bunch of stupid metrics that skateboarders have determined are the most important. These include, but are not limited to TRICK SELECTION, STYLE, and FIT. Though you could probably add personality/social media on here for good measure. Get with the program man, no one made an account on here to ask a bunch of strangers who they thought was having the most fun on their skateboard. Yes, we know its silly, yes, we know it's petty,  yes, we all took the time to create an account here to do exactly this (including yourself)

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2021, 08:18:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is one of the most common SLAP takes, you see it on every thread. People try to use the fact that we're talking about things on a skate forum as some kind of evidence to support whatever their opinion is. We are all aware of the conversation we are having, thank you.

Then he combines it with the classic "iF hE'S hAViNg FuN, ThAt'S aLl tHaT mAtTeRs!" standard ass bargain bin store brand take.

We're not talking about having fun, we're talking about whether or not he's tight or wack according to a bunch of stupid metrics that skateboarders have determined are the most important. These include, but are not limited to TRICK SELECTION, STYLE, and FIT. Though you could probably add personality/social media on here for good measure. Get with the program man, no one made an account on here to ask a bunch of strangers who they thought was having the most fun on their skateboard. Yes, we know its silly, yes, we know it's petty,  yes, we all took the time to create an account here to do exactly this (including yourself)
Thanks for taking the time to mansplain!
There are no rules to skateboarding, I could care less who thinks it’s wack to do a nose slide. Won’t stop me from doing them.  But if your wearing skinny jeans with your ass out and some slip on nikes thTs is wack. But not this guy Leo he’s alright.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

IpathCats

« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2021, 08:47:08 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to mansplain!
There are no rules to skateboarding, I could care less who thinks it’s wack to do a nose slide. Won’t stop me from doing them.  But if your wearing skinny jeans with your ass out and some slip on nikes thTs is wack. But not this guy
Leo he’s alright tight.

Yea Leo is tight, thanks.

skatingisntspecialstupid

• Rep: 57
« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2021, 08:49:42 AM »
I think the French comments are accurate. Is he tight according to the traditional American skate culture that began in California and mutated? Not necessarily. But the idea of a traditional skate culture with ideas that originate solely from young men in America has been wack for awhile now. Personally I’ve never watched any of his videos more than once, but I think he is perfect for his time and place.
Don’t dip your head in or your board will end up behind you

GoneWithTheSchwinn

• Mods
  • Rep: -9957
« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2021, 11:38:01 AM »
The real question is has anyone seen him do a frontside powerslide?

BLACK LIVES MATTER
FUCK 12

"Watch out or the gazpacho police will get you!"

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2021, 04:14:21 PM »
the marble in France looks fun to powerslide, If I lived there I would fully take advantage as well

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2021, 04:33:36 PM »
Vote casted B4 anyone else opinion can change my mind  8)

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2021, 04:36:38 PM »
Tight

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2021, 12:12:29 AM »

This some Mike V shit right here.

Mad Max

« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2021, 01:08:21 AM »
Not such a fan of the powerslides and pirouettes but I rate Leo for the impact he's had on skateboarding and helping skate communities. He also had a career doing more regular skating before Magenta so you know he's got skills.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2021, 02:43:05 AM »
At our park it's usually not a good thing when someone says "poserslide" and "that was pretty Magenta man ...".
It means you slid in or out of a trick.

Valls WAS great and CAN skate, but he did so much of that powerslide stuff it became cingey quite fast.
You can do it, we get it.

No need to do it every fucking day in every fucking post ...

xandeo

• Rep: 6
« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2021, 02:55:35 AM »
I'm a simple man, I see a clip from Leo Valls and I click "skip".

The hype of Leo wouldn't be that big if it wouldn't be for the amazing filmers and editors that somehow manage to make powerslides look good.

As a comparison: both Leo and Puleo are rather low-impact skateboarders with very little (or none at all) flip tricks in their video parts, but Puleo at least has a very interesting spot eye and manages to do nice two-trick lines/combos with certain variety. If you remove Leo's powerslides from the parts, there is simply not much left.

Not considering any of the actions or impacts either gentlemen have or haven't done outside of skateboarding - my opinion above is simply regarding Leo as a skater and the footage that comes out.

goingapelikenigo

• Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2021, 03:35:07 AM »
Tight. Fuck the same old flip in flip out. Skating isn't a sport just have fun and do what makes you happy.

actually prefer this to his microcosme part
i think hes cool though

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2021, 03:53:07 AM »

The hype of Leo wouldn't be that big if it wouldn't be for the amazing filmers and editors that somehow manage to make powerslides look good.

As a comparison: both Leo and Puleo are rather low-impact skateboarders with very little (or none at all) flip tricks in their video parts, but Puleo at least has a very interesting spot eye and manages to do nice two-trick lines/combos with certain variety. If you remove Leo's powerslides from the parts, there is simply not much left.

Not considering any of the actions or impacts either gentlemen have or haven't done outside of skateboarding - my opinion above is simply regarding Leo as a skater and the footage that comes out.

if you remove the cellar doors....there's simply not much left in Puleo's parts
(and I like Puleo's skating! But IMO, Valls is more creative. Puleo lives in the NY area, he has a million more spots to choose from than Valls. Bordeaux is tiny compared to NY)
The one thing I do agree on is that it would be nice too see Valls skating spots outside of Bordeaux. For variety. But I think he became a father recently, so a lot of travel is probably not to be expected.

I gotta say I'm pretty baffled by the number of guys who would rather watch the same flip in flip out shit being performed ad nauseam. I mean if you don't like Valls, you must hate Gou Miyagi. Actually that could be an interesting conversation: when does the "wacky" stuff become too much? Just a matter of opinion. Miyagi's Heroin part was too much for me, for instance. Even though I liked all his previous stuff.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2021, 03:59:30 AM »
Plenty of people hate on Gou on here, but like Leo I think they are only looking at them on a superficial level as opposed to contemplating the impact they’ve actually had on the “culture”

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #117 on: October 06, 2021, 04:24:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This some Mike V shit right here.
you say that like it’s an insult

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #118 on: October 06, 2021, 04:31:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

(and I like Puleo's skating! But IMO, Valls is more creative. Puleo lives in the NY area, he has a million more spots to choose from than Valls. Bordeaux is tiny compared to NY)
The one thing I do agree on is that it would be nice too see Valls skating spots outside of Bordeaux. For variety. But I think he became a father recently, so a lot of travel is probably not to be expected.

I gotta say I'm pretty baffled by the number of guys who would rather watch the same flip in flip out shit being performed ad nauseam. I mean if you don't like Valls, you must hate Gou Miyagi. Actually that could be an interesting conversation: when does the "wacky" stuff become too much? Just a matter of opinion. Miyagi's Heroin part was too much for me, for instance. Even though I liked all his previous stuff.

Funny mentioning these three names. years ago me and friends would have conversation about what a perfect video part should be all Leo, go and puleo all have good attributes in theory but fail in practice.

All three are good at finding something and figuring out how to skate it in an interesting way. Unfortunately later Leo started going to far down the basics path and skates in a way that might as well be on a green screen. It literally doesn't matter where he is it's just always the exact same stuff.
 Puleo could drop into a hundred doors and Gou could 5050 a hundred rails but they're all unique but a switch tail on a bench is a switch tail on a bench. It's not fair it's just how it is.

xandeo

• Rep: 6
« Reply #119 on: October 06, 2021, 04:51:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Funny mentioning these three names. years ago me and friends would have conversation about what a perfect video part should be all Leo, go and puleo all have good attributes in theory but fail in practice.

All three are good at finding something and figuring out how to skate it in an interesting way. Unfortunately later Leo started going to far down the basics path and skates in a way that might as well be on a green screen. It literally doesn't matter where he is it's just always the exact same stuff.
 Puleo could drop into a hundred doors and Gou could 5050 a hundred rails but they're all unique but a switch tail on a bench is a switch tail on a bench. It's not fair it's just how it is.

Exactly this. Puleo's bag of tricks isn't huge, but he still manages to "surprise" and raise interest whenever he drops something. With Leo, there is just nothing new anymore, at all. And Gou is just a crazy MF, one never really knows what's coming.