Poll

Is Leo Valls tight or wack?

Tight
Wack

Author Topic: Leo Valls, tight or wack  (Read 10626 times)

OldieButFrenchie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
Re: Leo Valls, tight or wack
« Reply #120 on: October 06, 2021, 05:18:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm a simple man, I see a clip from Leo Valls and I click "skip".

The hype of Leo wouldn't be that big if it wouldn't be for the amazing filmers and editors that somehow manage to make powerslides look good.

As a comparison: both Leo and Puleo are rather low-impact skateboarders with very little (or none at all) flip tricks in their video parts, but Puleo at least has a very interesting spot eye and manages to do nice two-trick lines/combos with certain variety. If you remove Leo's powerslides from the parts, there is simply not much left.

Not considering any of the actions or impacts either gentlemen have or haven't done outside of skateboarding - my opinion above is simply regarding Leo as a skater and the footage that comes out.
[close]

if you remove the cellar doors....there's simply not much left in Puleo's parts
(and I like Puleo's skating! But IMO, Valls is more creative. Puleo lives in the NY area, he has a million more spots to choose from than Valls. Bordeaux is tiny compared to NY)
The one thing I do agree on is that it would be nice too see Valls skating spots outside of Bordeaux. For variety. But I think he became a father recently, so a lot of travel is probably not to be expected.

I gotta say I'm pretty baffled by the number of guys who would rather watch the same flip in flip out shit being performed ad nauseam. I mean if you don't like Valls, you must hate Gou Miyagi. Actually that could be an interesting conversation: when does the "wacky" stuff become too much? Just a matter of opinion. Miyagi's Heroin part was too much for me, for instance. Even though I liked all his previous stuff.
[close]

Funny mentioning these three names. years ago me and friends would have conversation about what a perfect video part should be all Leo, go and puleo all have good attributes in theory but fail in practice.

All three are good at finding something and figuring out how to skate it in an interesting way. Unfortunately later Leo started going to far down the basics path and skates in a way that might as well be on a green screen. It literally doesn't matter where he is it's just always the exact same stuff.
 Puleo could drop into a hundred doors and Gou could 5050 a hundred rails but they're all unique but a switch tail on a bench is a switch tail on a bench. It's not fair it's just how it is.

[close]

Exactly this. Puleo's bag of tricks isn't huge, but he still manages to "surprise" and raise interest whenever he drops something. With Leo, there is just nothing new anymore, at all. And Gou is just a crazy MF, one never really knows what's coming.

Puleo hasn't dropped anything in years....or did I miss something?

and I also fail to see the surprise element? He's been skating the exact same way since the 90's. Might be new to you if you're young.
Valls on the other hand does do new shit on the regular, it just happens you don't like it/fail to appreciate it....

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #121 on: October 06, 2021, 05:24:25 AM »
Plenty of people hate on Gou on here, but like Leo I think they are only looking at them on a superficial level as opposed to contemplating the impact they’ve actually had on the “culture”

actually makes me wonder whether some Americans are reluctant to let people outside the US redefine skating/create their own version of it? I mean for people of my generation, it's just incredible to see skaters from Europe or Asia do their own thing. In the 80s and 90s EVERYTHING came from the US and we were always 2 years behind, as things did not travel that fast pre-internet.

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2021, 05:30:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

This some Mike V shit right here.
[close]
you say that like it’s an insult

Exactly! I got kooked since posting that comparison so apparently somebody isn't rocking with Mike V. 😂 Personally I don't mind it but a little bit goes a long way. Anything more than 30 seconds of this and I'm turning it off.

"This ain't no mortal kombat competition! You better just ollie! Just ollie homey!"- Neckface

flippy lippy

• Rep: -23
« Reply #123 on: October 06, 2021, 05:35:34 AM »
By "redefining" and "innovative" do you guys mean the shit Ray Barbee was doing as a teenager?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #124 on: October 06, 2021, 05:42:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Plenty of people hate on Gou on here, but like Leo I think they are only looking at them on a superficial level as opposed to contemplating the impact they’ve actually had on the “culture”
[close]

actually makes me wonder whether some Americans are reluctant to let people outside the US redefine skating/create their own version of it? I mean for people of my generation, it's just incredible to see skaters from Europe or Asia do their own thing. In the 80s and 90s EVERYTHING came from the US and we were always 2 years behind, as things did not travel that fast pre-internet.
yeah, and that’s exactly what Gou has said over the years in his random insta posts: he was so stuck in that margin, that definition of what “skating” should be, but he wasn’t from California and it puzzled him and forced him to reassess what he was doing, and that is what transformed into the modern day Gou. I’m not surprised he ran with his style to the umpteenth degree because Japanese people are generally really good at being obsessed with aspects of culture (like say fashion, chopper culture, noise music, carpentry … actually anything really) and pursuing them beyond the point that any regular person would.
I think Leo drew from that too and that’s what inspired him to go so deep down the power slide rabbit hole, but I also think he is taking influence from early street parts where the skating is a lot more spontaneous … remember when people would do like 3 shove its in a single line?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2021, 06:41:11 AM »
By "redefining" and "innovative" do you guys mean the shit Ray Barbee was doing as a teenager?

nice attempt at sarcasm, not bad really. but Ray Barbee was a no comply master, not a powerslide wizard. Try again.

or please let me see the video where Ray Barbee does frontside blunt powerslide to backside powerslide to wallie fs rockslide.

warmonke

• Rep: 43
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2021, 06:47:56 AM »
Not really the biggest fan of his skating but the work he's doing in Bourdeaux to improve skate facilities is definitely tight.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2021, 07:00:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
yeah, and that’s exactly what Gou has said over the years in his random insta posts: he was so stuck in that margin, that definition of what “skating” should be, but he wasn’t from California and it puzzled him and forced him to reassess what he was doing, and that is what transformed into the modern day Gou. I’m not surprised he ran with his style to the umpteenth degree because Japanese people are generally really good at being obsessed with aspects of culture (like say fashion, chopper culture, noise music, carpentry … actually anything really) and pursuing them beyond the point that any regular person would.
I think Leo drew from that too and that’s what inspired him to go so deep down the power slide rabbit hole, but I also think he is taking influence from early street parts where the skating is a lot more spontaneous … remember when people would do like 3 shove its in a single line?

damn I really hope to make it to Japan at some point. but you are right, and he adresses the japanese influence in this interview:

The way you skate is quite unique, the power slides etc. It’s almost a surf style you inhabit. How did you get your inspiration?
It came gradually, whilst travelling, meeting people, growing. I feel like skateboarding was very codified, We used to only get inspiration from what the American industry brought to us. When I travel, I get inspiration from a lot of different stuff, I was fascinated by the SF scene from the 90’s, by the Japanese scene in Tokyo and Osaka. But I think you have to look further, the surf for example. You have to take pleasure in the movement, and the environment.
The rules in the skate industry needed to be broken, it tends to push to either the ultra tech or the gnarly stuff, which is more understandable to most of people. Ultimately, I think you have to skate the way you feel, naturally. It is what I’ve always enjoyed the most to do.
I never thought I could make something in skateboarding with the way I skate. I probably came at the right time.
Have you ever been told to change the way you skate ?
Yes, I won’t say any names, there are been many discussions about that, when I started to skate my own way. Some people would not understand, and probably still don’t, but I enjoy that, making people react. I think that many people were sitting on a unique style of skating. But I think we have a good dynamic nowadays, you can do anything you want. Something really cool is on. And people can promote it and show what they do via the internet, you don’t need to know the right people in the industry like it used to be 15 years ago.

the translation is kinda iffy btw....in French he says "people were stuck/asleep in one way of skating only". Mmmm makes ya wonder who were the industry heads trying to discourage him!

https://cafecremeblog.com/2017/05/11/an-interview-with-leo-valls/

flippy lippy

« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2021, 08:33:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

nice attempt at sarcasm, not bad really. but Ray Barbee was a no comply master, not a powerslide wizard. Try again.

or please let me see the video where Ray Barbee does frontside blunt powerslide to backside powerslide to wallie fs rockslide.

Rockslide is not a skateboard trick unless you're skating an actual rock

and is it really a blunt if youre sliding on flatgound? Since there's no edge to blunt on, I think skateboarders call that "booger"

Also idk if u know what sarcasm is boomer

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CTwwigFFlZK/?utm_medium=copy_link
This guy knows

Edit: Valls does not deserve to be in the same conversation as Gou, Gou was 50-50ing monster rails before Leo was even sponsored. Plus Gou never changed when he blew up

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2021, 08:54:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

and is it really a blunt if youre sliding on flatgound? Since there's no edge to blunt on, I think skateboarders call that "booger"

This guy knows

Edit: Valls does not deserve to be in the same conversation as Gou, Gou was 50-50ing monster rails before Leo was even sponsored. Plus Gou never changed when he blew up

OK let me teach you something: railslides used to be called rock'n roll slides. Because they are a sliding variation of the rock 'n roll. I guess I used outdated terminology here, my bad.

Anyways you called me "boomer", so I automatically lose the argument! Any intelligent answer I give is disqualified and you win.
(see? THAT was sarcasm. now go do that homework or your parents will get mad)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2021, 04:50:19 PM »
Gou (and "Japanese skating" as a whole, whatever the fuck that means) wouldn't even be a blip on the radar if he stuck with the more traditional approach to skating and Leo wouldn't have the name he does now if he was still doing EE3 homage lines at night. When they were respectively born is irrelavant to the topic ...

IpathCats

« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2021, 06:18:36 PM »
Man, this is some high quality, strictly skateboarding, nuanced banter, I really do love it. Glad to see this poll ended in favor of tight, was starting to doubt myself for a second. Leo is tight, I back him.

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #132 on: October 06, 2021, 06:25:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This guy knows

[close]

OK let me teach you something: railslides used to be called rock'n roll slides. Because they are a sliding variation of the rock 'n roll. I guess I used outdated terminology here, my bad.

Anyways you called me "boomer", so I automatically lose the argument! Any intelligent answer I give is disqualified and you win.

flippy lippy

« Reply #133 on: October 06, 2021, 10:11:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
When they were respectively born is irrelavant to the topic ...

If their age is relevant it's because Gou didn't have access to a lot of western skateboard media growing up so his style is organic whereas Leo's eccentric trick selection is a reaction to what he sees on Thrasher. Gou was always the weird fabric guy, Leo turned it up when he got popular.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #134 on: October 06, 2021, 11:56:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This guy knows

[close]

[close]

I litterally have "old" in my username, what do you expect?
plus goddamn it fucking grates me, that boomer trope. I am generation X, not a fucking boomer.
why do we always get lost in the conversation!?

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2021, 12:48:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
When they were respectively born is irrelavant to the topic ...
[close]

If their age is relevant it's because Gou didn't have access to a lot of western skateboard media growing up so his style is organic whereas Leo's eccentric trick selection is a reaction to what he sees on Thrasher. Gou was always the weird fabric guy, Leo turned it up when he got popular.
I actually laughed out loud when you said Leo Valls does powerslides variations because of what he sees on Thrasher

flippy lippy

IpathCats

« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2021, 05:18:11 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CUuV8rcMNIK/?utm_medium=copy_link

Lol solid meme. But Leo has some serious flatground and ledge game too, and his quick feet are hard to beat.

thebacker

« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2021, 06:22:23 AM »

Lol solid meme. But Leo has some serious flatground and ledge game too, and his quick feet are hard to beat.

he does a good job of hiding it

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2021, 06:38:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

he does a good job of hiding it

Eskorbut0

• Rep: -2
  • Be careful what you wish for
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2021, 11:51:25 PM »
He’s stunningly good, 😮

portlandpancake

• Rep: 3
« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2021, 10:18:40 AM »
I think Leo is a great example of a very talented skater that doesn’t give a fuck what others think or if he fits into what is considered cool. Which is a good start, however, he also has a super smooth style so he is very enjoyable to watch and achieves coolness despite not seeking it out.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 760
« Reply #142 on: October 09, 2021, 09:12:08 AM »
Who ever was asking about his ledge skills:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CUzpbf1ogJl/?utm_medium=copy_link

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #143 on: October 09, 2021, 09:32:35 AM »
I said I think he is wack altho i still mostly like him. I used to be a bigger fan I've watched all his parts a ton and his flatground is good but there's just not the ledge skills that people are claiming. His hardest thing is a switch back tail on a shin high bench.
Noseslide reverts are grommy.

Yes I know skatings not a contest blah blah but I feel like people are just making stuf up or have very low expectations.

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2021, 01:04:56 PM »

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #145 on: October 15, 2021, 10:10:38 AM »
I’m all for this kind of stuff; I back him.

Can I get @lk130’s take on this dude, though?
In French & all I really like it, lol ;D
They have that homie filming @ Magenta
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2157
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #146 on: October 16, 2021, 02:05:05 AM »
Expand Quote
I’m all for this kind of stuff; I back him.

Can I get @lk130’s take on this dude, though?
[close]
In French & all I really like it, lol ;D
They have that homie filming @ Magenta
Gracias, Papi.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #147 on: October 16, 2021, 07:52:59 AM »
Who ever was asking about his ledge skills:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CUzpbf1ogJl/?utm_medium=copy_link

That deck looks so skinny

I dig it
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

smokeybear

• Rep: -12
« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2021, 03:09:43 AM »
Might be cool but not tight and original... most of he´s skating is just an adaptation of 2009/10 FESN videos and the osaka daggers... but in europe it was new so...

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #149 on: October 22, 2021, 06:00:19 AM »
Might be cool but not tight and original... most of he´s skating is just an adaptation of 2009/10 FESN videos and the osaka daggers... but in europe it was new so...
there was a time when I used to call him out for plagiarism on that style of skating (and before that he was a EE3 homage skater) but he’s definitely put his own unique twist on it