Author Topic: Facebook Whistleblower  (Read 1017 times)

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
Facebook Whistleblower
« on: October 04, 2021, 01:33:37 PM »
instagram, facebook, whatsapp down right after the 60 minutes facebook whistleblower episode.. cant be a coincidence

Keyser_Soze

Re: Facebook Whistleblower
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 01:39:23 PM »
Good for her for having the courage to speak publicly about this. Hope that shit show of a platform is gone forever.

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 01:43:38 PM »
i'm afraid she is going to be "missing" soon because shes exposing the FB clowns

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 01:46:21 PM »
Not available in Canada but this article is pretty good
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/04/technology/facebook-files.html

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 130
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 01:49:39 PM »
I read it's "server issues". FBI doesn't say there's any evidence of hacking. Also, wasn't this whole engagement algorithm already known for the most part? Maybe they're scrubbing data for a pending search or indictment. Either way, it's official now that they willingly spread hateful media and misinformation to encourage "engagement" on the platform. Shouts to Frances Haugen. I doubt FB is going to off her though.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 01:58:03 PM »
I hope the servers, the backups and the backups of those backups are unrecoverable. Would be a sight to see how people handle this especially those addicted to FB/ Insta.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 02:10:17 PM »
I deactivated in Jan 2013 for the reasons mentioned in the news report.  I go on IG from time to time, a lot of skate clips still hit, so glad the site is down to be honest.

cairofosterhome

• Rep: -2
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2021, 02:31:59 PM »
Bro, that girl's got balls of big brass. I thought ISIS had attacked the servers like that time the broad shot up Youtube. Remember her? Fitness nut from Arabia or some shit. Suzy Wojikky suppressed her excercise videos and she took the fight to them. Hope it's just scrubbing files. Scrub my nuts outta the DMs.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2021, 05:07:44 PM »
Good.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 05:12:48 AM »
I figured Facebook turned everything off so they didn't have to experience a mass exodus after that 60 mins story.
I quit FB in 2016 and it was great, I still have ig, but I don't keep it logged in and I don't post anymore. I feel I will delete that soon too.

They need us, without us they are nothing.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 05:19:10 AM »
They're saying Facebook lost 7 billion dollars of net worth.  ;D
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1419
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2021, 06:16:47 AM »
They're saying Facebook lost 7 billion dollars of net worth.  ;D

Incredible

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -764
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2021, 06:24:51 AM »
This is extremely satisfying

Nuked fb a few years ago

I rarely go on Instagram but I think it's time

It's not worth the odd skate clip having to put up with the lame dickheads on it
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2021, 06:53:30 AM »
if i was pressed to admit one way that i truly feel above almost everyone around me, it is the fact that i have never taken part in any social media platform...

...i have to look down, to even feel pity or contempt for all of the people that do.

anybody acting surprised about the kinds of things being shared and exposed, are fucking imbeciles and should fuck off anyway

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2021, 08:08:16 AM »
I got off all the social media apps like three years ago and it was a great decision. All my close homies who i really want in my life have my phone number and i can talk to them when i want

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2021, 09:19:54 AM »
if i was pressed to admit one way that i truly feel above almost everyone around me, it is the fact that i have never taken part in any social media platform...

...i have to look down, to even feel pity or contempt for all of the people that do.

anybody acting surprised about the kinds of things being shared and exposed, are fucking imbeciles and should fuck off anyway

I hate to tell you this but slap is a social media forum, but I get what youre saying

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2021, 10:09:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I hate to tell you this but slap is a social media forum, but I get what youre saying

The thing is that the term social media casts such a broad net, it’s tough to call. An early 2000s skateboarding forum is just vastly different than Facebook or Instagram explore page. Not saying internet forums can’t be dangerous places, but the heavily algorithm-reliant platforms are especially dangerous to society.

Instagram would be exponentially better if they nuked the explore page and switched the timeline back to chronological post order. Algorithms really fucked shit up, even YouTube manages to somehow become shittier and shittier.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2021, 10:11:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

copy that...thanks.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2021, 10:16:26 AM »
I kinda realized a long time ago that I couldn’t use Facebook without having some sort of negative psychological impact.  I started resenting everyone I followed for posting pictures of what appeared to be their perfect little lives.  It would eat at me: “What if these aren’t carefully curated?  What if this is how the people I grew up with actually live?  Why doesn’t my life look like that?  What the fuck is my fucking problem?”

Haven’t touched it in years because of that.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Loki700

• Rep: 74
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2021, 10:21:03 AM »
I still have a facebook account but rarely go on it.  It definitely wasn't healthy, and the only thing I really use it for now is the messenger since all of my friends seem to prefer it for some reason.

Only thing I'd really miss are the pictures that are on there.
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1413
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2021, 11:37:40 AM »
ha ha ha once, when trying to partake in a wedding party, this clown ass motherfucker said to me a few years back "you don't have facebook because you're trying to make a statement. get with the times." Ooooook. No

I got off facebook in 2012, when I also axed my last SLAP account. In 2019 was suggested that I create a FB account for a graduate cohort and I cringed but did it. Man, I was off of that shit in 3 days. I lost a lot of respect and wanted to fight people in the program after seeing their lives  :o Social Media contributes to my anger.  :-[ My mom made a FB account a couple years back. She's cool enough and stuff, but during that last election period, she was pissed at everyone she knew, all the time. My sister and I pushed her to delete the phone app. She recently commented that life is better without it.

tried making an anonymous instagram so I could watch skate clips and see tattoo stuff, but that didn't really work well for me either. My account got flagged for having no pictures.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2021, 12:28:56 PM »
ha ha ha once, when trying to partake in a wedding party, this clown ass motherfucker said to me a few years back "you don't have facebook because you're trying to make a statement. get with the times." Ooooook. No

I got off facebook in 2012, when I also axed my last SLAP account. In 2019 was suggested that I create a FB account for a graduate cohort and I cringed but did it. Man, I was off of that shit in 3 days. I lost a lot of respect and wanted to fight people in the program after seeing their lives  :o Social Media contributes to my anger.  :-[ My mom made a FB account a couple years back. She's cool enough and stuff, but during that last election period, she was pissed at everyone she knew, all the time. My sister and I pushed her to delete the phone app. She recently commented that life is better without it.

tried making an anonymous instagram so I could watch skate clips and see tattoo stuff, but that didn't really work well for me either. My account got flagged for having no pictures.

I started backing away from Facebook like seven or eight years ago when i stopped being a Christian because of all of the insane Christian people from my church/school who freaked out. I went back on for a little around the 2016 election and got into even more drama and haven't been enticed by the idea since then. My Facebook still exists not only in that it's a thing that my mom tags me in when she posts family photos that also has a bunch of outdated work info from long abandoned jobs

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1619
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2021, 01:51:35 PM »
Whistleblower? I hardly whistleknowher!
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

logjammin

• Rep: 342
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2021, 01:52:09 PM »
Planting their own "whistleblower" to expose themselves for not censoring enough so they can censor more, gotta love it.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2021, 01:57:31 PM »
Respect to her for speaking out. Big tech has some real shady stuff going on

I still have Facebook and IG. Facebook I just use for local classifieds related to a hobby, so barely on there. Defiantly haven’t looked at the timeline in years.

For Instagram when the pandemic kicked off in March of last year I was getting to stressed and basically stopped going on there, aside from looking at messages once a week. As my mental state improved I started peaking a bit more, as there’s a lot of pages I follow that relate to my hobbies and I can’t really get that content anywhere else. It’s a hard balance, as I felt a lot better not being on it for hours a day. It’s also tough to connect with people these days without it, especially working from home. Seeing someone post a story and having an easy way to start chatting is nice way to start a conversation.

Overall I think social media has caused and contributed to a lot of issues. I’d be happy if it went away tomorrow.

mushroom slice

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2021, 02:01:14 PM »

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2021, 02:12:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The thing is that the term social media casts such a broad net, it’s tough to call. An early 2000s skateboarding forum is just vastly different than Facebook or Instagram explore page. Not saying internet forums can’t be dangerous places, but the heavily algorithm-reliant platforms are especially dangerous to society.

Instagram would be exponentially better if they nuked the explore page and switched the timeline back to chronological post order. Algorithms really fucked shit up, even YouTube manages to somehow become shittier and shittier.

The algo thing defiantly is a cheat code.   I didn't start using slap until I deactivated my facebook page in 2012-13 mainly due to karl watson actually replying to people posts