Author Topic: Falling Down  (Read 1224 times)

botefdunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
Falling Down
« on: October 04, 2021, 10:02:26 PM »
I took maybe the best fall of my life a couple days ago. Bombed a short, steep hill straight out the gate, feeling good about the day ahead. I was totally relaxed pushing into it and hit the bottom going bout 40 km/h (25 miles/h). Caught a wobble and knew immediately I couldn't recover, so I stepped off the front. Got both feet down somehow, though they were immediately ripped out from under me which whiplashed my hip into the ground so hard I bounced up into a sideflip, spinning like a ragdoll, and landed on my feet facing downhill. I kind of stuttered 2 more steps and stopped, still standing. My board just kind of rolled up to the back of my leg and I was left standing in the street trying to process what had just happened. Some extremely lucky shit. I have a big circle of crust on my hip but it didn't even swell and i skated the rest of the day.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
Re: Falling Down
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 11:51:28 PM »
That’s pretty hectic mate glad you’re alright
No idea about speeds but I had a go on an electric skateboard one time and had that maxed out and it’s top speed was 40kph

I remember thinking man if I come off I’m gonna get smoked

Lucky bro

Haha I remember hitting rocks and stuff and when you put your foot down at speed like that you go flying
listen to cosmic psychos

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 07:45:59 PM »
this wouldn't have happened if you'd been a part of the awesome non-skateboarding community that's building around the new rising streetwear and not-skateboarding clothing brand, trademarked.

you could even send a video how you don't skate to them and if they like it they might sponsor you. i don't think they respect falling down though. their main approach to skating is to not do it in order to minimize any risk of falling. if you tell them this story they might think you don't know what you're doing.

jk, i'm glad you catted your way out! sounds gnarly for sure. i know the feels. it's awesome even though it's scary.

mushroom slice

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 08:51:18 PM »

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 06:31:41 AM »
You gotta slide out if you're gonna bail a speed wobble. You'll never be able to run it out. I learned this when one of my friends got his license. My mom was out and us kids decided to rig up a rope behind the car and see how fast we could go. I rode in the car and filmed and I have a video somewhere of my buddy going 20mph, then 25, then we turn around and he holds up 3 fingers for 30mph. We hit it, he started to wobble, then jumped off, got about two steps and went straight into a chest slide for a solid 10 feet. He was shredded up. Lucky he didn't hit his face. My mom came home right as we were trying to clean him up and she was pissed.

I got taken out by a hill I underestimated once while on vacation. Slid it out on my ass and stoped just short of a parked car. Learned never to bomb hills in shorts that day.

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 09:45:30 PM »
You gotta slide out if you're gonna bail a speed wobble. You'll never be able to run it out. I learned this when one of my friends got his license. My mom was out and us kids decided to rig up a rope behind the car and see how fast we could go. I rode in the car and filmed and I have a video somewhere of my buddy going 20mph, then 25, then we turn around and he holds up 3 fingers for 30mph. We hit it, he started to wobble, then jumped off, got about two steps and went straight into a chest slide for a solid 10 feet. He was shredded up. Lucky he didn't hit his face. My mom came home right as we were trying to clean him up and she was pissed.

I got taken out by a hill I underestimated once while on vacation. Slid it out on my ass and stoped just short of a parked car. Learned never to bomb hills in shorts that day.

I learned the hard way too if you get speed wobbles you will see everything in slow motion and there ain't much you can do besides buttslide/hipslide it out or if you are lucky try to stay as heavy as you can on your board to stabilize it.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 05:24:23 AM »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 09:14:45 AM »
it is possible to save yourself from speed wobble i did it before a few times in pretty key moments and notice sean greene does it all the time he can carve out of it safely . seems like he has it 100% because he is not nervous at those speeds. i low key think he might be suicidal somewhat / or was at some point in his life and was just like yo im either going to die getting this clip and thats that or i will come out the other side and at least i got a fucking banger for gx1000  8) dude's mindset is on another planet, that candyland ender unreal  i will never have half the nuts that man has
ONTARIO CANADA

phlap

• Rep: 6
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2021, 09:30:10 AM »
I took maybe the best fall of my life a couple days ago. Bombed a short, steep hill straight out the gate, feeling good about the day ahead. I was totally relaxed pushing into it and hit the bottom going bout 40 km/h (25 miles/h). Caught a wobble and knew immediately I couldn't recover, so I stepped off the front. Got both feet down somehow, though they were immediately ripped out from under me which whiplashed my hip into the ground so hard I bounced up into a sideflip, spinning like a ragdoll, and landed on my feet facing downhill. I kind of stuttered 2 more steps and stopped, still standing. My board just kind of rolled up to the back of my leg and I was left standing in the street trying to process what had just happened. Some extremely lucky shit. I have a big circle of crust on my hip but it didn't even swell and i skated the rest of the day.

God, I miss being able to eat shit and keep skating.
-Summer of George-

Brguy

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2021, 11:31:53 AM »
If you're lucky you can even step on the ground leaning way back and your feet will slide enough that you won't completely eat shit, it may lead to buttslide if you're too fast. Either way, always lean back cause you can always roll on your side and/or use your hands this way.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2021, 11:40:39 AM »
i keep falling on the same exact spot in the hip like 5 times every time i skate

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2021, 08:51:26 PM »
Now that I'm starting to skate faster and more than curbs again, I'm starting to fall more again. It's kinda dope. Leaves me feeling alive and gets me hyped to land some shit  ???

but last weekend I was trying to film some shit for this little video I'm trying to get my act together for and thought I got a real nice slam on camera. BUT NO. the phone stopped carrying video at 20 seconds in and only recorded sound. Ya hear the wheels rolling up, the pop up and over, the landing, and the weirdest fucking noise I've ever heard out of my mouth. legit like uuumph, right outta the belly. really weird sound. too bad all I walked away with was that hip bruise
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Brguy

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2021, 04:34:46 PM »
Now that I'm starting to skate faster and more than curbs again, I'm starting to fall more again. It's kinda dope. Leaves me feeling alive and gets me hyped to land some shit  ???

but last weekend I was trying to film some shit for this little video I'm trying to get my act together for and thought I got a real nice slam on camera. BUT NO. the phone stopped carrying video at 20 seconds in and only recorded sound. Ya hear the wheels rolling up, the pop up and over, the landing, and the weirdest fucking noise I've ever heard out of my mouth. legit like uuumph, right outta the belly. really weird sound. too bad all I walked away with was that hip bruise
You can still use it for an intro, nothing like the sounds of someone eating shit to start a video.