Author Topic: Mostly Skateboarding Podcast Thread  (Read 5807 times)

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
Re: Mostly Skateboarding Podcast Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2022, 07:59:41 PM »
man these guys get things wrong more than the nine club do lol. constantly incorrect, and just going on the most weird tangents. they aren't even skate nerds. just regular nerds.

"adam loreth"
"kareem calander had curtains"
"jay-zoo fernandez"
"jerry shoe"
"chocolate is elite"
"brand narrative"
Yeah the podcast is not bad usually and makes passing time at work more bearable, but holy shit these guys really lack skateboarding knowledge for someone who has a podcast on the subject. They are indeed older but sometimes they have jaded points of view and it comes off as more as the point of view of someone who used to skate and not of someone who actually skateboards now.
Finally, why don't they just say they are sponsored by Venture instead of faking that they are stoked on them every week? Not saying they aren't but after the 4th week hearing , "Im stoked on Venture trucks out San Francisco" you already know they are saying that because they get gear or some money from them and not really stoked on em.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 07:58:58 AM by gsosa »

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2022, 08:23:13 PM »
Pretty much everything @carbonite says on the pod should be taken with the knowing humor it is intended with. He is awesome. Can’t defend some of his mispronunciations but chalk it up to outsider charm.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2022, 01:18:15 AM »
They pretty much compare everything to the 90s. I feel like Rocco gets brought up in almost every episode as if he didn’t leave the industry 20 years ago, it’s an interesting take to say the least. I do enjoy the episodes when they have guests like John Marello, Farran Golding and Chris Mulhern on.

backside_frontside

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -295
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2022, 07:55:40 AM »
The pod is okay, but those dudes have some pretty lame takes. During the Mind Goblin episode the one guy said Bill Strobeck is the most underrated filmer in skating. They get stuff wrong all the time and their reverence for the 90’s is a little over the top. And yeah claiming to be “stoked on” venture every week is lame.

Monopolyman

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2022, 01:03:10 PM »
The pod is okay, but those dudes have some pretty lame takes. During the Mind Goblin episode the one guy said Bill Strobeck is the most underrated filmer in skating. They get stuff wrong all the time and their reverence for the 90’s is a little over the top. And yeah claiming to be “stoked on” venture every week is lame.

Yeah I had to stop listening to the Chocolate Bunny Hop episode.  They said it was Carl Aikens’ first part when hes had multiple parts with Naquan Rollings, some of which are on Thrasher… then said he was mainly an ig skater.  And they hated on Dylan Jaeb like he’s just some park skating instagram schmuck, when he’s an Am on some of the top companies in skating, and has appeared in multiple videos.  Which just shows how out of touch they are.  The whole crew really do seem like they are too outside of skating and past it all to be doing this.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2022, 01:47:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah I had to stop listening to the Chocolate Bunny Hop episode.  They said it was Carl Aikens’ first part when hes had multiple parts with Naquan Rollings, some of which are on Thrasher… then said he was mainly an ig skater.  And they hated on Dylan Jaeb like he’s just some park skating instagram schmuck, when he’s an Am on some of the top companies in skating, and has appeared in multiple videos.  Which just shows how out of touch they are.  The whole crew really do seem like they are too outside of skating and past it all to be doing this.

Lol what? Correct me if I’m wrong but Dylan has one street part out. And mob and DC count as some of the “top companies in skating” now?

Monopolyman

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2022, 02:05:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Lol what? Correct me if I’m wrong but Dylan has one street part out. And mob and DC count as some of the “top companies in skating” now?

Did you even listen to this episode.  Give me a break.  They sound ridiculous.  They even suggested Jamie Thomas dropped him from Zero when clearly Dylan left.  He’s been touring with DC and had some tricks in their edit.  No one is saying Jaeb is super accomplished yet but trying to shit on the dude when he’s 17 came off as tone deaf. And yeah Id say being on a team with Evan Smith, Wes Kremer, Ish Cepeda etc, and filming with Bobby Bils for NHS when you’re still in high school is significant. Not to mention he’s on Thunder and Dickies.  You must love this podcast huh lol

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2022, 03:56:28 PM »
Hi Dylan

Monopolyman

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2022, 04:09:31 PM »
Hi Dylan

Lol, really well thought-out response.  When’s the next podcast episode coming out?  This show was so bad I considered emailing the makers to let them know.  Seems like I just met one here so I’ve been spared the trouble

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2022, 07:26:06 PM »
It's probably my favorite podcast. I appreciate their energy, even if I am not as stoked on Venture trucks as Jason is.

Templeton's appreciation for good wool is really relatable. 

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2022, 11:51:56 PM »
shocked at all the negative takes in this thread, i thought the past few months have been the best stuff they've ever done, that john marello episode was insanely great context for the chocolate vid and well timed.

it's like you all think that in order for a podcast to be good, the dudes have to have the "right" opinion. what does that even mean? I think it means that you need them to agree with you, or some kind of SLAP consensus. corny.

I don't agree with them sometimes, but it is still highly engaging stuff, and nobody is doing what they are, especially when it comes to the interview eps. Nine club is just too softball, and bunt boys do great but act like filmers and industry people don't exist when it comes to planning interviews. mostly skateboarding is in their own lane.

and I'm not even gonna quote the dude who said they're wrong more than 9 club. embarrassingly incorrect and apples to oranges take; can't even believe you typed that up much less hit post.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2022, 11:56:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Hi Dylan
[close]

Lol, really well thought-out response.  When’s the next podcast episode coming out?  This show was so bad I considered emailing the makers to let them know.  Seems like I just met one here so I’ve been spared the trouble

It’s not that important, relax. It’s a free podcast, don’t listen that’s all
check my music

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2561
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2022, 07:10:25 AM »
shocked at all the negative takes in this thread, i thought the past few months have been the best stuff they've ever done, that john marello episode was insanely great context for the chocolate vid and well timed.

it's like you all think that in order for a podcast to be good, the dudes have to have the "right" opinion. what does that even mean? I think it means that you need them to agree with you, or some kind of SLAP consensus. corny.

I don't agree with them sometimes, but it is still highly engaging stuff, and nobody is doing what they are, especially when it comes to the interview eps. Nine club is just too softball, and bunt boys do great but act like filmers and industry people don't exist when it comes to planning interviews. mostly skateboarding is in their own lane.

and I'm not even gonna quote the dude who said they're wrong more than 9 club. embarrassingly incorrect and apples to oranges take; can't even believe you typed that up much less hit post.

I've only listened to a few episodes but the only person who I've noticed has eye rolling takes or gets things really wrong is Patrick. The rest of the hosts are cool.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Monopolyman

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2022, 12:32:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hi Dylan
[close]

[close]

It’s not that important, relax. It’s a free podcast, don’t listen that’s all

You’re right.  Stopped listening.  Just bummed about low effort shit and skating is important to me so I get a little worked up sometimes

burtreynolds.jpeg

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2022, 02:50:12 PM »
I found the mental health episode to be nice. Marello's interview was also really good. Hopefully, they will do some more things along the lines of this.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2022, 11:53:58 PM »

Nine Club straight up just don't know as opposed to Mostly Skateboarding who do frequently get things wrong. It is frustrating listening to them get something wrong in terms of Skate x riding for this company, or a saying a video x coming out 5 years either side of when it actually came out. It's really basic stuff they get wrong too.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 12:07:22 AM by HORSES »

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • old and in the way
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2022, 04:44:38 PM »
The first episodes where Templeton Elliott edited himself out so it was just the interview subject telling stories were pretty interesting. The Donny Barley, Tobin Yelland,  and the Colin Kennedy ones were so great.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2022, 01:36:24 AM »
guys remember that they are 40 year old, of course they are out of touch.
The only thing that annoyed me was when Patrick dissed a sunny day real estate by saying they need to stop putting these emo songs in skatevideo or something like that (when they talked about the vans video).
Also sometimes it seems like he name drop or make analogy just to flex on some stuff he knows like krautrock or something. Maybe not but since it never add anything to convo or make the other host react it seems pointless.

But I still like it when I need to kill an hour. When I was working a few month ago I was hyped to listen at work on monday tho.

Also the few interview ep I heard were on point
check my music

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2022, 08:21:46 PM »
It's a shame the audio was completely botched in their last episode, because I was interested in the topic of legacy spots. Do they not check the audio before they record, or listen back to it once it's done/they publish it?

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2023, 10:43:00 AM »
Bumping this because the newest episode is so good. It’s a really good interview with Jacob Rosenberg. It would have been sick if templeton was on this week, but it was still really enjoyable.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2023, 08:15:22 PM »
Just listened to the Magenta Just Cruise 2 episode and I find it unbelieveable that they seriously thought the video was filmed on VX. They seriously cant be so out of touch with skating and still have a somewhat big podcast.
Also, Patrick we know you speak french, stop trying to show off by just naming a bunch of cities and talking about your experience in France from 20 years ago.

heinzketchup

• Rep: 53
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2023, 11:38:00 PM »
Just listened to the Magenta Just Cruise 2 episode and I find it unbelieveable that they seriously thought the video was filmed on VX. They seriously cant be so out of touch with skating and still have a somewhat big podcast.
Also, Patrick we know you speak french, stop trying to show off by just naming a bunch of cities and talking about your experience in France from 20 years ago.

hahahahaha its just funny bad at this point

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 103
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2023, 03:56:19 AM »
They had to have been joking about the 'sully' rebrand discourse during the HUF video review..right? Clealy and obviously it's his nickname, and one that he has been referred to in videos and probably in print too...wild...this show has been passable to throw on in the background while working, but man its getting to be really bad...

Im not even a camera nerd and knew that it was a HD cam with a mk1 in the Magenta video

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2023, 05:19:10 AM »
They were talking about the sci fi team during the arin part review and debated whether GH was fully on and didn't even know/mention corey glick. Someone also pronounced her name "Ah-rin."

They also poo poo'd some joke GH made about tom knox having too many kids. Fuck these joyless,pompous, old, ass at skating, dumbasses. They started a podcast seriously just to listen to their own voices. I seriously would rather listen to the nine club because at least they know they're kinda dumb and are self aware.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -295
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2023, 05:26:17 AM »
People who think Mark Suciu is pretentious have never heard Patrick opine about France and fashion and whatever other bullshit he shoe-horns into every response.
Now that guy is fucking pretentious

dallou

• SLAP Pal
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2023, 09:52:19 AM »
People who think Mark Suciu is pretentious have never heard Patrick opine about France and fashion and whatever other bullshit he shoe-horns into every response.
Now that guy is fucking pretentious

Or you are just jealous that you are not a rafined francophile
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 10:17:46 AM by dallou »
check my music

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2023, 10:45:07 AM »
I suffered through ~15 minutes of their dreadful podcast to hear their review of Vans "Keepsake" where the female host explained that this 10 minute video was the "perfect length" because she can't pay attention to those half hour videos. Then they really went on to discuss how cool Beatrice's "opening line" was before dismissing the skating of Corey Glick.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Massivebellend

• Rep: -12
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2023, 03:45:37 PM »
Instant pass on the pod if Patrick is on. Fucking pretentious kook.

Dr Hass

• Rep: 3
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2023, 03:59:47 PM »
Well I quite like it. Can't speak to the mistakes because I barely pay attention to the skate industry myself these days but I enjoy that it's a skating podcast where the presenters don't say like a thousand times per sentence or deviate into the same old story about how they got sponsored.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2023, 09:10:31 AM »
Newest Episode with Josh Ellis from wiskate.com is so good. Lots of chat about early skate internet, IRC, BBS's etc. crazy to have a website up for 25 years. Also the fact that they handed the Beez DVDs to non skater strangers at the bar is so good 🤣