Author Topic: Mostly Skateboarding Podcast Thread  (Read 5984 times)

Ty Evans Lightman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -31
Re: Mostly Skateboarding Podcast Thread
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2024, 08:50:36 AM »
Latest episode is a bit of a dud.
45 minutes of basketball employee chat and 5 minutes Rocco returns chat.

I like the podcast but Patrick needs to chill on the fits talk. I get the feeling he just loves to listen to his own voice and can’t help flexing his culture and politics muscle a bit too hard.

What happened to their female host??

TheWineClub

• Rep: 41
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2024, 08:58:15 AM »
I think it’s hilarious how much this podcast has praised Rocco on multiple episodes and talked about how much he could do today if he was still around. Then when he is announced to come back they end up saying that he probably won’t be able to do much since he’s old and hasn’t been in the industry for 20 years. These guys are fried.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 161
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2024, 09:06:12 AM »

I like the podcast but Patrick needs to chill on the fits talk. I get the feeling he just loves to listen to his own voice and can’t help flexing his culture and politics muscle a bit too hard.

need to listen to the last ep but weird that they did not talk about it for hours because Rocco has been named dropped so many times in this pod. They are always comparing everything to tim and henry, rocco, rodney, plan b so for once that it is relevant

I agree their is a weird dissonance between how Patrick talks about clothe and "fits" and how he dresses. When you listen to him it seems like he is such an authority on fashion and coolness. He just need to chill a bit
same with music. He is a bit too sur that his tastes are the right one

but he is just beeing himselft I guess and I should just shut up

The other host left a few ep ago

« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 09:24:45 AM by dallou »
check my music

Ty Evans Lightman

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2024, 09:57:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
need to listen to the last ep but weird that they did not talk about it for hours because Rocco has been named dropped so many times in this pod. They are always comparing everything to tim and henry, rocco, rodney, plan b so for once that it is relevant

I agree their is a weird dissonance between how Patrick talks about clothe and "fits" and how he dresses. When you listen to him it seems like he is such an authority on fashion and coolness. He just need to chill a bit
same with music. He is a bit too sur that his tastes are the right one

but he is just beeing himselft I guess and I should just shut up

The other host left a few ep ago

Not trying to hate hard on the guy. I just find he has a tendency to hijack conversations to drop his fashion sense knowledge, or as you said music sense, which sometimes feels wholly irrelevant to the topic or distracting from actual skate talk.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2024, 10:41:31 AM »
Patrick’s fit talk has grown on me. The has a great quote this week, something like,” they need to post up in New York, listen to drill, and blah blah blah”. He says it with such conviction and I think he is being serious but I can’t always tell. He keeps me guessing.
Mattie or Maddie, sorry I don’t have instagram, bowed out graciously. She was a real one and I like how she was so low key like giving respect to her scene instead of personal props etc.
This is the podcast I look forward to the most each week.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2024, 12:06:06 PM »

Me too!

Maddie was awesome to have on there, was bummed she left.

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2024, 01:29:17 PM »
I think it’s hilarious how much this podcast has praised Rocco on multiple episodes and talked about how much he could do today if he was still around. Then when he is announced to come back they end up saying that he probably won’t be able to do much since he’s old and hasn’t been in the industry for 20 years. These guys are fried.

It’s really only Jason on there that loves the old World days. But he wasn’t on this week. The other hosts don’t seem to hold that same reverence for early world industries. So not surprised on those takes.

Dustgod

• Rep: 0
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2024, 05:23:02 PM »
Patrick’s fit talk has grown on me. The has a great quote this week, something like,” they need to post up in New York, listen to drill, and blah blah blah”. He says it with such conviction and I think he is being serious but I can’t always tell. He keeps me guessing.
Mattie or Maddie, sorry I don’t have instagram, bowed out graciously. She was a real one and I like how she was so low key like giving respect to her scene instead of personal props etc.

Any word on why she decided to leave the pod?
Nice to meet you, I’m a artis

apbarbs

• Rep: 38
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2024, 06:12:28 PM »

the 'basketball employee' is also silas baxter neal's filmer
it was also cool to hear him talk about differences between filming basketball and skating

some people have interests outside of skateboarding, maybe that makes the episode a 'dud' for you but it was far from a dud for me

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2024, 07:20:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Any word on why she decided to leave the pod?
I think she is just humble and doesn’t want to put herself out there in that way

Ty Evans Lightman

« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2024, 01:56:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

the 'basketball employee' is also silas baxter neal's filmer
it was also cool to hear him talk about differences between filming basketball and skating

some people have interests outside of skateboarding, maybe that makes the episode a 'dud' for you but it was far from a dud for me

Thanks for the link.

I honestly didn’t catch that from the discussion at all. All I understood was he filmed some basketball team with a vx and somehow it got attention. Yes, the guy skates but I think I would have preferred more SBN tales. My bad.

Still think the lack of Rocco banter was a miss though.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2024, 08:48:54 AM »
Yah on maddie, it was just rad having a different perspective in there on a lot of levels….hopefully they bring in some different people from time to time….even audibly there’s a point with more than two dudes with no guest, it’s too much for me.

Ty Evans Lightman

« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2024, 09:23:03 AM »
There should probably be a Beyond Boards thread but Patrick Kikongo from Mostly was the last guest.

Colonel K sure knows how to talk. A lot of music, euro football and fit chats. However for the two hour near monologue, he does raise a couple of interesting points in the last 20 minutes, notably inclusion in the skate community, a real need for critical media that isn’t tied up with pleasing advertisers, and transparency for industry business practices particularly for team changes.

I would definitely be down for some critical media. I feel like Gifted Hater is pretty much the only one putting his neck on the line.

https://podcasts.apple.com/be/podcast/beyond-boards/id1561570875?i=1000653165343