Author Topic: Mostly Skateboarding Podcast Thread  (Read 5237 times)

CossRooper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
Mostly Skateboarding Podcast Thread
« on: October 06, 2021, 07:29:08 AM »
Making a thread for this weekly pod; Been enjoying it for years. Templeton Elliot, Patrick Kikongo, Jason from frozen in @carbonite , and Mike Munzenrider talking deep about skateboarding and pants.

https://open.spotify.com/show/0JZCxVS1G1RrM6DWvvDatj

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/mostly-skateboarding/id690015876

https://www.instagram.com/mostlyskateboarding/

https://soundcloud.com/mostlyskateboarding/tracks

http://www.mostlyskateboarding.net/

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
    • timecube avatar image
Re: Mostly Skateboarding Podcast Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 07:36:18 AM »
https://twitter.com/MostlySkate/status/1444671061124009996

This weeks episode on the china banks and Emerica's This is great all the way through, but most important is this quote from Jason. shit had me dying

Jon Dickson is the Wolverine of skating, like his overrall vibe and shit... he dresses like every Wolverine scene where he's in a bar in the Yukon territory

;D

Uknowmyinsta

• Rep: -346
  • Your brain has no facts.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 09:41:59 AM »
I find Patrick to be completely unrelatable.  To a point of distraction.

Enjoy everything else. 

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 10:15:39 AM »

Enjoy everything else.

Dude I kinda feel the same way. Not sure how exactly to explain it but he sounds like he lives in Instagram or something. When he talks it doesn’t sound as if he exists in the real world, but only on the internet.

Sometimes he says cool stuff. The other 3 dudes are very much from my same mind space in skating so obviously I like the pod.
p-shuvs and v-flips

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 01:14:40 PM »
https://twitter.com/MostlySkate/status/1447232303856381954

great ep this week. Munzenrider with the ultimate flaming hot takes on ZY Mixtape and AWS 2012 Cinematographer project.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 04:26:41 PM »

great ep this week. Munzenrider with the ultimate flaming hot takes on ZY Mixtape and AWS 2012 Cinematographer project.

I do not agree with Mike on the AWS Cinematographer Project edit, but that's okay.

Based on this episode I went and read the Bo Turner Chromeball interview and that was a cringey read, imo.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 04:43:54 PM »
Love this pod. The bunt and Mostly skateboarding always are priority to any other pod. The episode with the photographer that shot the Evan smith thrasher cover is an awesome episode. I also really enjoy their takes on skating etc. solid pod.

hmmmokay

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2021, 07:28:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I do not agree with Mike on the AWS Cinematographer Project edit, but that's okay.

Based on this episode I went and read the Bo Turner Chromeball interview and that was a cringey read, imo.

Same. Love the pod though. Thanks for starting the thread Coss, will be nice to (potentially) chime in weekly.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 05:19:40 PM »
THANKS FOR LISTENING YALL 8)
VENTURE 4 EVER

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2021, 09:31:31 AM »
THANKS FOR LISTENING YALL 8)
VENTURE 4 EVER

THANKS FOR MAKING IT! y’all are the best!

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2021, 07:41:09 PM »
GUYS WE ARE THE RECIPIENT OF A RUDIMENTARY INTERNET SEARCH

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2021, 07:13:39 AM »
Expand Quote

Enjoy everything else.
[close]

Dude I kinda feel the same way. Not sure how exactly to explain it but he sounds like he lives in Instagram or something. When he talks it doesn’t sound as if he exists in the real world, but only on the internet.

Sometimes he says cool stuff. The other 3 dudes are very much from my same mind space in skating so obviously I like the pod.
I love the podcast but I concur about Patrick being out of touch. Every episode he’ll trail off the subject to flex his knowledge of irrelevant facts and then be completely clueless about everything else.
The rest of the guys are great though

Willy Santos cut my hair

• Rep: 390
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2021, 08:11:18 AM »
I’m a big fan of this podcast.
the hosts cover a good range of skateboarding experience; Patrick in particular has a great skill for placing ideas & skate events within far wider social scope. his take on the brutal Caesar Singh CBI interview hit me in a way I would never have considered or understood.
Keep up the good work gents.

I_Respect_Wood

• Rep: 8
    • HH avatar image
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2021, 09:11:26 AM »
Been listening for almost a year now, I really liked the pod, every week I'm waiting for it and they had a few greats interviews there Greg hunt, The guy for 4ply, Kyle Beachy, Consent is Rad etc.. And far from what some people said I enjoy most the podcast when Patrick is in it, like he have a wider view of everything, which make the pod  better, not the typical USA's host, centric, state of mind whatever. Make it different, and for me, being from outside United States, and Immigrant, I really relate to his views. 

Not gonna lie, sometimes he flex on his knowledge and vocabulary, even said a lot of stuff to make a simple question but it doesnt bother me. Even I can remember in some interviews, after all his flex the guest always reply with "good question" LOL.

Only flaws, I always wish it was longer and really hate when they put music at the end while talking, the music is too loud, they should check that, specially in the last episode.

If I wasnt me, I never hang out with me...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/new-york-supreme-ben-kadow-qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T">via GIPHY</a></p>

fongool

• Rep: 94
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2021, 09:49:44 AM »
his take on the brutal Caesar Singh CBI interview hit me in a way I would never have considered or understood.

seems that Caesar himself was not too fond(to say the least) of Patrick's comments and made multiple IG posts roasting him: https://www.instagram.com/illiturit1/?hl=en

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2021, 03:58:06 PM »
Been pretty stoked on this pod for a while. Definitely helps me get through doing chores on Sundays.

NorthSideHuevos

• Rep: -1
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2021, 05:47:10 PM »
Great Pod, been listening for about a year now. I love the beginning episodes too, with the short stories. I see why some people can get annoyed by Patrick but, he has a take on skateboarding that isn’t really represented in any other skateboarding Pod. Thanks for keeping us stoked for Sunday’s!

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2021, 06:01:30 PM »
I like the pod, it use to make my monday morning better at work (I am now unemployed, yahey). I like Patrick, but I am french and understand all of his references. For sur sometimes it seems like he is trying to hard tho.

The bunt is still the only podcast that matters skateboarding wise but this one offers something nice. 4 kind of old skate nerds talking about what's going on, it's comfy and relatable.

Willy Santos cut my hair

• Rep: 390
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2021, 03:11:30 AM »
Thank you Fongool, I had no idea

Patrick’s perceptions of internalised racism gave me food for thought.
causing Caesar distress sucks though

Massivebellend

• Rep: -14
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2021, 03:15:48 AM »
Love the pod, hate Patrick

disappointed

• Rep: 100
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2021, 08:32:02 PM »
Expand Quote

Enjoy everything else.
[close]

Have to agree. It’s cool, but clearly Patrick’s has a whole other side trip that is just not relatable for me. Obviously a smart and passionate guy though.

https://www.pkigongo.com/aboutme

But yes, cool pod - also checkout Talkin Schmit for the old heads, less wellknown and classics.
(Freddy from August ‘21 - new footage on the way!!)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hWyBPqhHv58&feature=emb_title
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 08:47:32 PM by disappointed »

6000 sux

• Rep: 16
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2021, 09:11:01 PM »
don't want to continue to pile on patrick in here because he seems like a good guy, but he's really hit or miss. when he's good he's good but when he's bad it makes the podcast unlistenable, like when he derails the conversation with "when i was in france playing guitar and wearing tight pants" style stories like bro shut the fuck up. he reminds me of so many other pseudo intellectual academic windbag type dudes i've know in my life, where he thinks everything he says is way more interesting than it actually is. he has his insightful moments but you have to endure a lot of eye-rolling stuff to get to it.

disappointed

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2021, 06:39:29 AM »
don't want to continue to pile on patrick in here because he seems like a good guy, but he's really hit or miss. when he's good he's good but when he's bad it makes the podcast unlistenable, like when he derails the conversation with "when i was in france playing guitar and wearing tight pants" style stories like bro shut the fuck up. he reminds me of so many other pseudo intellectual academic windbag type dudes i've know in my life, where he thinks everything he says is way more interesting than it actually is. he has his insightful moments but you have to endure a lot of eye-rolling stuff to get to it.

Fair to say Caesar wasn’t thrilled with Pat’s psychoanaliks;

”A co-host stops himself mid-sentence, guilt probably taking over, and says, "God, I mean all we're kind of doing is psychoanalyzing this (man)." And, despite admitting to not being a licensed psychiatrist, Kigongo chuckles as if really enjoying himself and replies, "Well, we have a lot to 'work' with."

As it turns out...so do I:

He starts the podcast off with a written joke. "CBI starts off Black History Month with a 'dark'—no pun intended—and reflective interview with (me)." The joke goes over my head because in 48 years I've never once been referred to as dark-skinned. But, six minutes later, he does it again, suggesting there probably weren't too many "dark-skinned brothers of color" like myself in Salinas. And, then four minutes later, he suggests Chuck Wampler viewed me, "the dark-skinned brother," as the lowest person on the totem pole. And, I finally begin to wonder, What the fuck is going on here? Why does a man, who's considerably darker than myself, keep referring to me as dark-skinned?

In the black community, being dark-skinned is often something that is looked down upon and mocked. And, my intuition is that Kigongo's trying to do that here, belittle me. But, my mother is white, and I've regularly been referred to as light-skinned throughout my life. So, in trying to paint me in a tone that I'm not, he's actually revealing more about himself than he is of me.

At one point he oddly suggests that I don't even think I'm black, going so far as to say I'm ripe for a Proud Boys initiation. Meanwhile...he's about all things black, yet marries a white woman. In six years, I rose to the rank of professional skateboarder, but he still portrays my journey as ending up in me being "lost". Meanwhile...he's been skating for twenty-plus years but still can't reach the top of a two-foot tall quarterpipe. And, here he's labeled me as "dark-skinned" thrice in ten minutes meanwhile...he's sporting the complexion of coal.

Now, I'm not a licensed psychiatrist either, but something's legitimately going on here and the question of the day is: Why?

But...

Thankfully, he too has given me a lot to work with and I too am an asshole; so...let the work continue”

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLYKJ-AFnIx/?utm_medium=copy_link

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2021, 10:33:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Enjoy everything else.
[close]

[close]

Have to agree. It’s cool, but clearly Patrick’s has a whole other side trip that is just not relatable for me. Obviously a smart and passionate guy though.

But yes, cool pod - also checkout Talkin Schmit for the old heads, less wellknown and classics.

I grew tired of talkin schmit after he continuously backed Jason Jesse.. the dude is nothing but a talking head for thrasher and the industry in general. Pass.

disappointed

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2021, 01:24:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Enjoy everything else.
[close]

[close]

[close]

I grew tired of talkin schmit after he continuously backed Jason Jesse.. the dude is nothing but a talking head for thrasher and the industry in general. Pass.

Yeah, fair cop - there’s some shit guests, and Schmitty can be a headache, if it was just him blustering it would be unlistenable; but he has some rad guests and let’s them talk, so I grab the ones that spark my interest like Salman, Freddy, Skip Engbloom, Busenitz, Satva, Mimi Knoop, JT Aultz, Lil B etc.
Problem for me is Mostly Skateboarding has basically no guests ever, so is just those dudes shooting the shit, which is cool but kinda goes nowhere. Imagine nineclub with no guests (basically “the experience”) complete garbage; what if The Bunt was just all postoffice and no guests - would get rough. Just my opinion, Mostly is just hottakes and shittalking, and we’ve already got Slap for that! It’s all cool though, glad they do there thing.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2021, 02:44:41 AM »
I love that Patrick rips on Caesar on a public platform, but wants Caesar to take it the DM and not publicly.

Been enjoying the podcast mostly, bar Patrick and despite some crazy takes (The AWS cinematographer in particular).

Clayton

• Rep: 78
    • Spot Hunter avatar image
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2021, 10:06:25 AM »
I don't listen to every episode but have listened to the bulk of them over the last six months. Despite constantly referencing "old man yells at cloud," they constantly come off that way to me. They all mutually didn't like the Yuto VX part that recently came out. Are you kidding me?! They also casually shit on Nyjah every chance they get which is pretty cliche at this point.

The Venture Trucks guy at one point claimed he "hates Toy Machine" because they took skateboarding a step away from east coast "Mixtape" hip hop era. I've never heard anyone flat out say they hated Toy Machine, how can you hate Toy Machine?! As open minded as they all pretend to be about skateboarding and the world in general, wanting skating to revolve around one style is the opposite of that.

Patrick's rants can be interesting sometimes, but he went on an anti-SF rant a couple weeks ago just destroying the city, without giving a single hard reference to what he was talking about. Kind of lost me there with that bullshit.

I'll probably still casually listen when there's a topic I'm interested in, but I liked the pod more before they had hosts and it was just ex pro-skaters talking about a crazy day they had in their career.

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2021, 09:10:30 PM »
I don't listen to every episode but have listened to the bulk of them over the last six months. Despite constantly referencing "old man yells at cloud," they constantly come off that way to me. They all mutually didn't like the Yuto VX part that recently came out. Are you kidding me?! They also casually shit on Nyjah every chance they get which is pretty cliche at this point.

The Venture Trucks guy at one point claimed he "hates Toy Machine" because they took skateboarding a step away from east coast "Mixtape" hip hop era. I've never heard anyone flat out say they hated Toy Machine, how can you hate Toy Machine?! As open minded as they all pretend to be about skateboarding and the world in general, wanting skating to revolve around one style is the opposite of that.

Patrick's rants can be interesting sometimes, but he went on an anti-SF rant a couple weeks ago just destroying the city, without giving a single hard reference to what he was talking about. Kind of lost me there with that bullshit.

I'll probably still casually listen when there's a topic I'm interested in, but I liked the pod more before they had hosts and it was just ex pro-skaters talking about a crazy day they had in their career.

was this during the china banks episode? he said san francisco sold it's soul, which is pretty much true. tech, gentrification and local gov't have changed the city so much that it's not really surprising they'd tear it down. what's more surprising to me is the rate of 77% of residents that are down for the demolition. surrounded by the financial district & wealthy neighborhoods like nob hill & north beach, i'd question who these residents actually were and how these surveys were administered.

off topic, richard quintero did one episode of a podcast series that i wish had continued. the first/only episode is with brian delatorre and his story about ayahuasca. it uses some background music & effects, like a npr segment.
https://www.hearsay.work/podcast/ds4c4fle087legndaltcpa9czthnly
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

I_Respect_Wood

• Rep: 8
    • HH avatar image
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2021, 10:18:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

was this during the china banks episode? he said san francisco sold it's soul, which is pretty much true. tech, gentrification and local gov't have changed the city so much that it's not really surprising they'd tear it down. what's more surprising to me is the rate of 77% of residents that are down for the demolition. surrounded by the financial district & wealthy neighborhoods like nob hill & north beach, i'd question who these residents actually were and how these surveys were administered.

off topic, richard quintero did one episode of a podcast series that i wish had continued. the first/only episode is with brian delatorre and his story about ayahuasca. it uses some background music & effects, like a npr segment.
https://www.hearsay.work/podcast/ds4c4fle087legndaltcpa9czthnly

Wow thanks for this... never heard of this podcast. I join to you in the "I wish had continued" department.
If I wasnt me, I never hang out with me...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/new-york-supreme-ben-kadow-qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T">via GIPHY</a></p>

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2022, 07:24:20 PM »
man these guys get things wrong more than the nine club do lol. constantly incorrect, and just going on the most weird tangents. they aren't even skate nerds. just regular nerds.

"adam loreth"
"kareem calander had curtains"
"jay-zoo fernandez"
"jerry shoe"
"chocolate is elite"
"brand narrative"