Author Topic: 90’s footage is boring  (Read 3769 times)

Fincher5153

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
Re: 90’s footage is boring
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2021, 01:36:44 PM »
1993-1994 was probably the coolest time period in skating imo

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1190
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2021, 02:29:40 PM »
60’s skateboarding was fucking GAR BAGE compared to the 90’s.  Bunch of barefoot jabronis going hella slow not doing any tricks.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2021, 02:33:58 PM »
70's footage is boring to people who think 90's footage is exciting

Star Wars (1977) is exciting to people who saw it when it came out

That's probably what this thread is meta

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 322
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2021, 03:14:04 PM »
Chuck Berry and Elvis are so boring sounding, why couldn't they just play like Slayer and Metallica?

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2021, 03:17:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Genuine question for 90s skaters. Absolutely not trying to sound insulting but it will be hard to ask without it coming out wrong.

What did you actually do when you went skating? Like for the average person. If say Mike York was a top pro doing some Crookeds and tailslides then what was the average person doing?
[close]

Crooked grinds didn't even exist until the 90s for fuck's sake. This thread is as ludicrous as it is depressing. I guess kids are this simple/dumb these days, no sense of historical context.

Those skaters were doing NBD's with more far more regularity then kids today, they were creating street skating as we know it today.

I'd say that on average skate vids from the 90s were/are the best videos of skateboarding period. They're definitely the most important as far as influencing following generations. Just because there's no mumble rap doesn't mean it's not relevant kids.
[close]

My point was I started skating in 99 and by 01 I could probably do as good as goldfish/Paco etc

Lol. Sure buddy.

Also, note that the troll who started this dumbass thread never posted again.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2021, 03:31:28 PM »
this is a healthy attitude, it’s called progress

I remember how bored i was when Stacy Peralta put all that 70s street slalom crap in the Powell videos

HatRemovalService

• Rep: -35
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2021, 03:52:57 PM »
nice explanation stupid

rothdigga

• Rep: 574
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2021, 03:55:58 PM »
I feel personally attacked by the title of this thread...I'm also here for anyone who can duplicate the following 90's parts and also do them as good as those people did them:
Duffy- Questionable or Virtual
Gonz- Video Days
Koston and Guy- let's go with Mouse for both
Creager- lot's of options here but 20 Shot or Triology are both epic parts

I know the actual statement was that the footage is boring, but then it kind of devolved into "90's parts were easy" it seemed.  Those are just off the top of my head but they're all super fun, standout parts to me. 

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2021, 04:07:19 PM »
I feel personally attacked by the title of this thread...I'm also here for anyone who can duplicate the following 90's parts and also do them as good as those people did them:
Gonz- Video Days

I know the actual statement was that the footage is boring, but then it kind of devolved into "90's parts were easy" it seemed.  Those are just off the top of my head but they're all super fun, standout parts to me.

I think OP and a lot of people giving input on this are not talking about that stuff.  There are many good videos and great skateboarders of the 90s

rothdigga

• Rep: 574
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2021, 04:12:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Gonz- Video Days

[close]

I think OP and a lot of people giving input on this are not talking about that stuff.  There are many good videos and great skateboarders of the 90s

I'm definitely joking about feeling attacked and I get that it's easy to pick out some boring ass parts from that era but damn...there was way too much gold in the 90's to just gloss over and say it was boring I feel like.  I just tend to gloss over the mediocre ones and remember the bangers I guess.

90sDamiano

• Rep: -82
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2021, 05:45:11 PM »
70's footage is boring to people who think 90's footage is exciting

Star Wars (1977) is exciting to people who saw it when it came out

That's probably what this thread is meta stupid

Fhk

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2021, 05:46:44 PM »
Sorry, somebody had to say it.

They have made it super easy for you.

Sizzla

• Rep: 223
  • I luv I jah
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2021, 05:47:02 PM »
Mi pree 90s vidyas all de tyme. Mainly da 20 Shot Sequence an Trilogy. Sizzla here fi tell ya dat das cow fat. So mi go so dem, zimmi, nah body onna disya tread cayn nah do none de trixx Reem or Lavar do in dem parts. Pree an yuh seet.
I an I haff nah white god

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2021, 05:55:28 PM »
Opinions are like assholes, and everybody has one.
Yours is just shitty.
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2021, 06:00:44 PM »
Skateboarding today emulates this golden age so much that it's easy to say that 90's footage is boring for kids brought up on youtube/insta.

Just imagine social media/the internet went dark and the current GOAT's put out videos only in hard copy format with at least a few truly Never Been Done tricks with everyone suddenly struggling to play catchup. That's what the 90's were like the whole time.

decoi1

• Rep: 18
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2021, 06:16:09 PM »
Nah

fongool

• Rep: 94
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2021, 11:13:03 PM »
it's actually quite insane just how much ground was covered in street skating between 1990-1999

the artform & canon was being established before our very eyes

the physical copies of the videos and magazines felt like they had talismanic powers

truthislie

• Rep: 58
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2021, 12:48:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My point was I started skating in 99 and by 01 I could probably do as good as goldfish/Paco etc
[close]
ok, sure
[close]
[close]
Just talking general ballpark. I could do the basic ledge tricks on small/medium ledges(nose/tail slides, nosegrind,5-0,crooked plus some fakie, nollie, halfcab variations) .i could flop some flips into nose/tailslides on smaller ledges,do some whatever flips up and down small stairs or over benches(altho plenty were Muska style). Basically the jist of they did in goldfish.

I wasn't special, I was still far less than average at the time.

Still waiting for your vintage flip tailslide combo clips  after 2 years of skating 🤣

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2021, 07:19:55 AM »
i admittedly fell victim to the crookie monster. learned them before backside 5050 even thats how popular that shit became. but yeah i knew tons of kids back then who could crook and flip back tail but couldnt back 5050.

JimmyCarlinsJumpRope

• Rep: 4
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2021, 07:25:30 AM »
Expand Quote
You might consider it boring nowadays, but back in the day it was golden. Trust.

Black Sabbath isn't that heavy today compared to a band like fuckin Gojira or something, but it's all relevant dude...
[close]

Is there any reason you picked Gojira as an example

Lol no specific reason, just a pretty heavy band that came to my mind first. I could have used many bands

newguy

« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2021, 10:11:02 AM »
The amount of pressed dudes in the replies to an obvious troll thread, come on guys.

BTW I get you've got legitimate worries about the direction skateboarding is taking but being condescending and patronising and posting tired tropes like “oh back in the 90’s i wasn't staring at my phone, i was living in the moment, and there wasn't any mumble rap in MY video parts or stupid tik tok, hah.” This inter-generation circlejerk is pointless and has gone on forever, please, please dont bring this into skateboarding

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2021, 11:02:25 AM »
The amount of pressed dudes in the replies to an obvious troll thread, come on guys.

BTW I get you've got legitimate worries about the direction skateboarding is taking but being condescending and patronising and posting tired tropes like “oh back in the 90’s i wasn't staring at my phone, i was living in the moment, and there wasn't any mumble rap in MY video parts or stupid tik tok, hah.” This inter-generation circlejerk is pointless and has gone on forever, please, please dont bring this into skateboarding

I post, therefore I troll