Author Topic: Recommendations for SNES and/or PlayStation 1 games  (Read 4111 times)

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
Re: Recommendations for SNES and/or PlayStation 1 games
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2021, 07:37:47 PM »
Expand Quote
did someone already mention xenogears for ps1?

nba jam for snes
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Haha I never played grind session or skate and destroy, but definitely remember ads. One grind session ad had Ed Templeton front 5050ing a rail and I think that was one if my first actual skate photos that I ever saw.

Expand Quote
[close]

I hope you like doing a lot of reading becaues Xenogears has hours of cut scenes chock full of religious backstory. The Gears (mecha) are cool, but the pacing really slows in disc 2 with an unskippable 30 minutes section covering 1 character's back story.
[close]
[close]
happy i wasn't the only one :D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 08:36:08 AM by Frank »

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2021, 08:05:11 PM »
I only played NBA Jam a few times back in the day, but it was really fun, I agree. Boomshakalaka!

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2021, 07:24:20 AM »
NBA Jam on Snes was dope but the Arcade version was heat
ONTARIO CANADA

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2021, 08:41:36 AM »
other snes games i loved:

-contra
-sunset riders
-turtles in time
-goof troop
-terranigma
-act raiser
-bahamut lagoon
-secret of evermore

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2021, 11:38:38 PM »
Beatmania is you want to revisit the birth of Rhythm games, starts out easy but you'll be out of your depth by stage 3. Eclectic mix of tunes but nothing too weeb or otaku.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2021, 12:42:51 PM »
Is there a definitive version of NBA Jam? maybe on PS1 or 64? That reboot they did for modern (at the time) consoles  like 10 years ago was bomb

Personally I'd say Tournament Edition on SNES or Arcade version but some people say the Saturn version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Ob5FZh33k

Jebediah

• Rep: 110
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2021, 05:47:54 PM »
Big nostalgia available from PS1 demo discs you can get them cheap on eBay

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2021, 08:24:08 PM »

Those were fun for sure

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1535
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2021, 12:25:56 AM »
I played the hell out of Desert Strike on Sega.  I still love that game.  They have it on SNES I believe.  I played it on an emulator a couple of years back.

EDIT:

Here is some of the game play.  It really is one of those games that you need to play.  It is really satisfying saving POWs and accomplishing missions.

If anyone knows how to access Sega emulators PM me please, I'd love to play through this again!

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsRyroMNYO8
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 12:36:08 AM by pugmaster »
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2021, 07:39:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Those were fun for sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1zf-QfChz8

My brother and I played the hell of of the demo version of THPS2 on PC, know that Marseille level like the back of our hands.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2021, 10:29:51 AM »
Is there a definitive version of NBA Jam? maybe on PS1 or 64? That reboot they did for modern (at the time) consoles  like 10 years ago was bomb

Arcade
ONTARIO CANADA

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2021, 10:30:27 AM »
I played the hell out of Desert Strike on Sega.  I still love that game.  They have it on SNES I believe.  I played it on an emulator a couple of years back.

EDIT:

Here is some of the game play.  It really is one of those games that you need to play.  It is really satisfying saving POWs and accomplishing missions.

If anyone knows how to access Sega emulators PM me please, I'd love to play through this again!

Thanks!

vimm.net
ONTARIO CANADA

PacketLoss

• Rep: 7
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2021, 09:20:08 PM »
Rock'n'Roll Racing for SNES is the shit. Nothing like shooting rockets from a pixelated space car backed with the sounds of 16-bit Paranoid by Black Sabbath.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1535
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2021, 05:23:25 PM »
Expand Quote

EDIT:

Thanks!

[close]

vimm.net

Thank you @rawbertson. you are a scholar and a gentleman. Do you have a controller that you recommend? I don't like playing older games on keyboard.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2021, 05:54:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

EDIT:

Thanks!

[close]

vimm.net
[close]

Thank you @rawbertson. you are a scholar and a gentleman. Do you have a controller that you recommend? I don't like playing older games on keyboard.

8bitdo makes some solid looking ones. I've never splurged on 1 before but the SNES colorway with 2 analog sticks looks sick.

https://www.8bitdo.com/
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2021, 03:34:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

EDIT:

Thanks!

[close]

vimm.net
[close]

[close]

8bitdo makes some solid looking ones. I've never splurged on 1 before but the SNES colorway with 2 analog sticks looks sick.

I have two bluetooth ones I use with my rgb-pi and they work great. Not noticing any lag or latency issues but my hands get tired more quickly than with a dualshock controller.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2021, 06:48:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

EDIT:

Thanks!

[close]

vimm.net
[close]

[close]

These are god-tier and i back this fully. I want to get one i just dont have the cash right now. If I was a speed runner this is what i would get 100%. These for sure have no lag.

if you can find one, wired xbox 360 controller works really well with no lag and native to windows. it is my go-to but they can be hard to find these days apparently

but an XBONE controller i would think would be the exact same thing , they are just kinda expensive. but it will work with zero lag and you dont have to worry.

I would be wary of most things that are really cheap like $10-20 they will probably be laggy.
ONTARIO CANADA

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #107 on: December 13, 2021, 06:59:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

EDIT:

Thanks!

[close]

vimm.net
[close]

[close]

[close]

These are god-tier and i back this fully. I want to get one i just dont have the cash right now. If I was a speed runner this is what i would get 100%. These for sure have no lag.

if you can find one, wired xbox 360 controller works really well with no lag and native to windows. it is my go-to but they can be hard to find these days apparently

but an XBONE controller i would think would be the exact same thing , they are just kinda expensive. but it will work with zero lag and you dont have to worry.

I would be wary of most things that are really cheap like $10-20 they will probably be laggy.

So many 3rd party controllers are modelled after the Xbox 360 controller, speaks to the success of the design. I'm using a MSI one that shares the same design just with more red trim. Wired works best for lag free, 2.4g is the next best followed by bluetooth, but the latter can be used with other mobile devices (phones / tablets) too.

But those 8bitdo ones look so good, especially in the SNES and PSX colors.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2021, 09:50:21 PM »
Logitech F310 is also a decent, reasonably priced wired controller.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2021, 07:24:19 AM »
The Switch Virtual Console has a bunch of dud SNES games but I really liked “Wild Guns”. Steampunk western shooting gallery type game.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #110 on: December 31, 2021, 09:04:40 PM »
Every 1-3 years setup the nes, SNES and PS1 for a bit (altho usually don't get long before I'm bored tho because ice played my games so many times over the last 25 years) anyway SNES: Mario Brothers all stars is a nicer version of all the original nes Mario Brothers games +you get the lost levels. I prefer the nes asthetic but the SNES control is a little easier on the hands.
All 3 donkey Kong county games. People talk shit on the third one but they are wrong it's fucking good. Most people are dumb and just shit out other people's opinions without knowing what they're talking about. I've seen people do playthrus talking shit and they literally just don't have the brain strength to figure out a game for 7 year olds. Donkey Kong games don't cheat they teach you what to do as you go there's nothing cheap.
Unirally a racing game with unicycles not many people bring this one up it's pretty fun.
Super Mario World/ Yoshi's island. These ones are good Mario games but not just quick blast thru the levels. A lot of depth.

PS1: Tony hawk's 4 is actually pretty decent. It's a lot like if they just gave you a bunch more levels for thps2. Thps3 is kinda chat.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #111 on: January 01, 2022, 03:15:04 AM »
Every 1-3 years setup the nes, SNES and PS1 for a bit (altho usually don't get long before I'm bored tho because ice played my games so many times over the last 25 years) anyway SNES: Mario Brothers all stars is a nicer version of all the original nes Mario Brothers games +you get the lost levels. I prefer the nes asthetic but the SNES control is a little easier on the hands.
All 3 donkey Kong county games. People talk shit on the third one but they are wrong it's fucking good. Most people are dumb and just shit out other people's opinions without knowing what they're talking about. I've seen people do playthrus talking shit and they literally just don't have the brain strength to figure out a game for 7 year olds. Donkey Kong games don't cheat they teach you what to do as you go there's nothing cheap.
Unirally a racing game with unicycles not many people bring this one up it's pretty fun.
Super Mario World/ Yoshi's island. These ones are good Mario games but not just quick blast thru the levels. A lot of depth.

PS1: Tony hawk's 4 is actually pretty decent. It's a lot like if they just gave you a bunch more levels for thps2. Thps3 is kinda chat.

i really don't know why people dislike dkc3. it was my favorite of the trilogy. i found the second one a bit too frustrating at times. i also liked how the fat baby ape controlled.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #112 on: January 01, 2022, 08:55:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^ My "Thrasher: Skate and Destroy" part from a few years ago
Still in my PS3 i should hit that up again soon
[close]

Random but, via your slow-mo, I just noticed the 360 flip in this game is actually a 360 inward heelflip. Now the form of that trick in that game always looked off, but only realizing exactly why decades later is crazy.

Grind Session is also a mandatory play on the PlayStation.
[close]

dont think so man i juts re watched it as well looks like the first frame you can see it , you see grip tape, which would indicate to mee kickfflip way. if it was heelflip then you would see the graphic first not the grip tape.
[close]

I rewatched just to make sure and no, it really does 360 inward heelflip although I see what you mean. It's hard to tell because of how the skater's foot moves and the angle of the camera but really try and pay close attention to the way the board flips on the slow-mo without looking at clues (maybe pretend the skater doesn't exist). If you pause on the right frames in succession and imagine yourself doing the trick, you should see it.
[close]
@rawbertson. @silhouette

Looks like silhouette was correct.  In fast motion I think they look like 360 flips.  Looks sure can be deceiving.  I think they definitely look better than the 360 flips in THPS1 though.

Has any game ever got a hardflip right? SaD does them almost like a weird Casper flip or the nollie fakie ones are just some shove it thing.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #113 on: January 01, 2022, 05:34:53 PM »
I definitely had the first DK game, so fun. Pretty sure I had Diddy Kong's Quest as well. DK3 I don't believe I had, may check that one out!

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2022, 08:46:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^ My "Thrasher: Skate and Destroy" part from a few years ago
Still in my PS3 i should hit that up again soon
[close]

Random but, via your slow-mo, I just noticed the 360 flip in this game is actually a 360 inward heelflip. Now the form of that trick in that game always looked off, but only realizing exactly why decades later is crazy.

Grind Session is also a mandatory play on the PlayStation.
[close]

dont think so man i juts re watched it as well looks like the first frame you can see it , you see grip tape, which would indicate to mee kickfflip way. if it was heelflip then you would see the graphic first not the grip tape.
[close]

I rewatched just to make sure and no, it really does 360 inward heelflip although I see what you mean. It's hard to tell because of how the skater's foot moves and the angle of the camera but really try and pay close attention to the way the board flips on the slow-mo without looking at clues (maybe pretend the skater doesn't exist). If you pause on the right frames in succession and imagine yourself doing the trick, you should see it.
[close]
@rawbertson. @silhouette

Looks like silhouette was correct.  In fast motion I think they look like 360 flips.  Looks sure can be deceiving.  I think they definitely look better than the 360 flips in THPS1 though.

[close]
Has any game ever got a hardflip right? SaD does them almost like a weird Casper flip or the nollie fakie ones are just some shove it thing.

I don't know about other games, but I do know I learned nollie pressure flips as a kid because this game and the first Tony Hawk one made me believe that was what a nollie hardflip was for a few weeks. The nollie inward heelflip style ones, too - I would just assume all your board had to do was exactly the movement you described.

Natas Fauxas

« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2022, 11:41:46 PM »
Dave Mirra BMX.
Battle arena Toshinden
Killer Instinct
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 09:06:31 AM by Natas Fauxas »

Verdugo

• Rep: 1
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2022, 05:30:59 PM »
Suikoden 2 and Trag: Mission of Mercy

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2022, 07:04:14 AM »
I remember hearing about Toshinden, I should peep that for sure

Suikoden 2 and Trag: Mission of Mercy

These are totally new to me, thank you!

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2022, 07:21:43 AM »
WipEout XL and WipEout 3 Special Edition
Civilization 2
Spyro the Dragon series
Crash Team Racing
Jet Moto 2

Those were my favs as a child.  :)

i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

krookedjuice

• Rep: 29
« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2022, 08:59:10 AM »
I definitely had the first DK game, so fun. Pretty sure I had Diddy Kong's Quest as well. DK3 I don't believe I had, may check that one out!

those games were so much fun. i just recently played through them on the switch virtual console and they still hold up.

this thread has made me realize i need to get my snes from my sisters house.