Author Topic: Kickflips and gear  (Read 1721 times)

sk8_cat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Kickflips and gear
« on: October 09, 2021, 01:27:18 PM »
I would just like to know if people ever got gear that made them lose their kickflips completely, I just got a board with a slightly longer nose, different kind of grip (grizzly instead of mob) and different shoes (ave pro instead of some vulc emericas) and it's hopeless... as I drag my foot up to level the deck all is good but then as soon as I try to flick the shoe catches the grip and it won't let go making my board fly ahead of me. I had similar issues in the past but I could adjust fairly easy now I've lost them completely while I had them pretty much on lock. I am thinking of scraping the grip off a bit at the flick pocket and I dunno maybe it's a bad idea.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
Re: Kickflips and gear
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 06:06:34 PM »
 Mine go bye bye when I put on high tops. In fact, shoes make the most noticeable difference for me (narrow toes feel way better, rubber toebcaps mess with flick, etc.)

Sizing down also messes me up until I adjust my flick, I usually flick way too hard at first and ease up until it feels right. Wheelbase really makes a difference too, I feel it's way easier to mob or catch too much friction trying to kf a longer board.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 06:14:57 PM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 06:27:44 PM »
I almost have to spend a session or two re learning everything every time I change a piece of gear, and pants too.

There's reasons for the madness.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 11:19:01 PM »
I have the same issue on new decks. I kinda figured out the steepness of the concave might be the problem for me so I copped a flat one. Hopefully that will work, haven‘t set it up yet.

Certain types of shoes also had a negative impact (Tyshawn mids). Busenitz work good for me.

My kickflips were off for a few sessions after I changed bushings until they were broken in too.

Kickflips are the most frustrating but also the most satisfying trick.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 05:24:11 AM »
Kickflips are the devil's trick.

You just have to accept they have a mind of their own. They simply come and go as they please.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Fhk

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 05:45:26 AM »
Everything stated above is true. The real madness comes when you have them all dialed in, and feel the need to change shit up. Then repeat process..oh the fun

sk8_cat

• Rep: 3
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 09:51:25 AM »
I appreciate the replies here, I really needed the sanity check. The moral of the story for me I'd say is to not change everything at the same time, just one piece of gear at a time if necessary, I just envy those dudes that can jump on anything and make it work ironically tricks like 3flips don't get messed so badly by different setups it's just anything kickflip related.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 09:55:21 AM »
Recently my kick flips have been better on bigger boards and wider trucks. i set up a smaller board to play with flip tricks a few weeks back and it has had the opposite effect. it might have something to do with stability on setting up and the pop. also my flips feel better on a bigger board... just more solid...

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2021, 09:58:58 AM »
Longer wheelbase or an overly long deck totally ruins my kickflips and makes them rocket really badly, they work best for me on a board 14" wb or smaller. Deck width or changing shoes doesn't seem to make a massive difference for me though.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2021, 07:10:54 PM »
Longer wheelbase or an overly long deck totally ruins my kickflips and makes them rocket really badly, they work best for me on a board 14" wb or smaller. Deck width or changing shoes doesn't seem to make a massive difference for me though.

WB is an interesting one, I thought I always like longer board with short WB (close to 32", 14.125" max), but my kickflips were really consistent on a 31.75 x 14.25 (even on Ventures) much to my surprise.

Vulcs for kickflips, but my horrible for my other staples like FS Flip and Hardflip. Cupsole is the exact opposite.

Kickflips are the devil's trick.

You just have to accept they have a mind of their own. They simply come and go as they please.

Precisely why I slink away when anyone wants to play flatground SKATE. Or I just hit them with the scummy stuff (SW Pop Shove) to end our collective misery quickly.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2021, 11:29:52 AM »
If I find myself with mostly new gear, I always swear off flip tricks until I do all of my go to grinds on a comfortable ledge. This gets me used to the pop timing of the set up and grip level of the shoes without having to worry about my feet leaving and landing back on the board. Flip tricks on new gear just discourages you and instills self doubt.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2021, 09:19:49 AM »
If I find myself with mostly new gear, I always swear off flip tricks until I do all of my go to grinds on a comfortable ledge. This gets me used to the pop timing of the set up and grip level of the shoes without having to worry about my feet leaving and landing back on the board. Flip tricks on new gear just discourages you and instills self doubt.

Agreed, grip / shoes that are too new grip too hard, feel like I'm going to tear a ligament. The gear needs to be comfortably worn in around mid-session before I feel like doing flips.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 04:21:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Agreed, grip / shoes that are too new grip too hard, feel like I'm going to tear a ligament. The gear needs to be comfortably worn in around mid-session before I feel like doing flips.
With new shoes and fresh grip that first flick sends that shit flying.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 08:28:12 PM »
Used to only be able to do kickflip tricks if my shoes were way too small. I wanted my toes to be jammed right to the ends. It really wasn't worth it for how messed up my toes are now.

With gear, shoes and clothes i find if I like it I skate good if I'm over it I skate shit. I could swap from a 9.5 fish board to a 7.75 popsicle or vans slip ons to dunk highs it just depends what I like that day

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2021, 04:54:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yup.

I usually try to only work one new piece at a time into the mix - if I know I'm going to set up a new deck, I'll try to make sure my shoes are broken in. Or if I know my shoes are on their "last legs" and due for retirement, ideally my deck won't be too new.

Overly grippy is as bad as excessively slippery.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2021, 11:33:27 AM »
I lose everything if I try to skate in cupsules
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2021, 03:04:25 AM »
I lose everything if I try to skate in cupsules

True, but my feet thank me afterwards. I lose all precision but my hucking tricks (FS Flips / Hardflips) get so much better.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2021, 05:04:52 AM »
I think the faster you try your first few in a session the better your sesh will be. I think it helps with balance.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2021, 12:32:55 PM »
get my best kfs off worn out shoes and grip flicking off the tail

also 14.25wb on indy

recently tried my boys venture and holy fuck was that shit level i love the feeling of that big fat catch
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2021, 07:33:37 AM »
The closer your flick foot is to ollie position, your kickflips will be way better. Learning how to flick directly off the nose is super important too, rather than flicking off the corner.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2021, 11:52:17 AM »
The closer your flick foot is to ollie position, your kickflips will be way better. Learning how to flick directly off the nose is super important too, rather than flicking off the corner.

I like to ollie a cone or a parking block and quickfoot a kickflip right after, that's where theyre straight and *proper. When I do them normal I kick em out or varial them

*Mobbed and often one-footed
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5