Poll

Interesting to see what percentage of people deal with pivot cup issues.

No issues or damage
24 (44.4%)
Pivot cup damage only
16 (29.6%)
Pivot cup and baseplate damage
14 (25.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Ace Pivot Cups  (Read 1427 times)

RottenToTheCore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
Ace Pivot Cups
« on: October 10, 2021, 04:29:54 AM »
Feel free to post what you think caused the issue. For me, I run factory tightness and I my pivot cups only tear from slappies.

EDIT: Specify if it’s Classics or AF1
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 07:00:07 AM by RottenToTheCore »

al_cvbrera

Re: Ace Pivot Cups
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 05:19:55 AM »
theres pivot cup damage, but nothing too detrimental. the cup was slightly dented even though i ride super loose. but in practice the pivot cups performed GREAT. just regular wear and tear so far. its been 8 months i think since i’ve been on the same pair of classic 44s. the QC could definitely be better but overall i am very very satisfied. I’m due for a new set of pivot cups and bushings soon but i wouldn’t really complain about anything i already don’t really notice and got used to. best feeling truck i’ve ever skated

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 05:27:55 AM »
My Classics are fine, but my front AF1 is blowing out. I’ve slappied roughly the same amount on both. , been skating them both 1-2 times a week since June
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 06:45:42 AM »
This poll should specify between Classics and AF1
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 06:59:37 AM »
This poll should specify between Classics and AF1

I’ll edit my original post

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 09:16:42 AM »
I don’t have the foggiest idea what you’re talking about. It’s common knowledge that…

Everybody loves them! Not a single complaint ever from anyone, just enthusiasm.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 09:20:09 AM »
As a serious reply though, I’m on Classic 55s for while now & have had no issues with them.
However, I am still holding off on pulling the trigger on a set of AF1s due to the reviews I’ve read here. Reckon I’ll wait for the “AF2” since I’m sitting on a second set of Classics right now anyways.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 09:25:22 AM »
I've had 3 sets of Classic 44s, 2 sets of Classic 55s. 1 Set of AF1 55s and 1 set of AF1 66s. No issues with pivot cups. Had to mess with my bushings here and there to get them all feeling perfect. Only been riding the AF1s the last couple of months. Skating 2 to 4 times a week.

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2021, 09:54:55 AM »
I've had 3 sets of Classic 44s, 2 sets of Classic 55s. 1 Set of AF1 55s and 1 set of AF1 66s. No issues with pivot cups. Had to mess with my bushings here and there to get them all feeling perfect. Only been riding the AF1s the last couple of months. Skating 2 to 4 times a week.

What kind of stuff are you skating and how do you run your trucks looseness-wise

Frank and Fred

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2021, 09:56:55 AM »
Loose trucks. I skate a bit of everything but I don't throw myself down big stuff anymore. I'm old.

So a lot of curbs, flat and wide variety of concrete parks with pool coping and hard edge.

pops

• Rep: 220
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2021, 10:00:19 AM »
I ride two different setups, one has Af155s and other 66s. I have ridden my trucks since they released and no issues at all. I skate 1-2 times a week; curb, flat, miniramp and pool.

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2021, 10:26:33 AM »
Loose trucks. I skate a bit of everything but I don't throw myself down big stuff anymore. I'm old.

So a lot of curbs, flat and wide variety of concrete parks with pool coping and hard edge.

Damn that is so confusing then, I thought loose trucks + slappies were Aces kryptonite. Maybe the quality control is just a hit and miss

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2021, 10:47:05 AM »
Just emailed Ace to see if they know the cause of the issues, worth a shot I guess

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2021, 11:13:35 AM »
Had to retire my last set of classics because the pivot cavity in the baseplates wore out and pivot cups would only last one or two sessions. I rode them for about a year.

Currently on AF1s, been riding them for about 6 months with no issues. Pivot cups were really soft at first but have firmed up since.

I ride mine medium loose and mostly skate big transition

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2021, 05:24:09 PM »
I remember a lot of people discussing pivot cup issues on the af1 when it first dropped, and one poster noticed that the "pivot cavity" the cups sit inside had irregularities that could have caused them to tear. I remember a dude had a really big issue with his set where the original and replacement cups were just ripped apart after skating them.

I just replaced my front cup after 6 months of skating my pair of af1's just loose enough to rattle a bit. It wasn't blown out entirely, but I noticed there was a lot of play and my trucks felt more squirrely than usual, so I swapped it (shout out @chrisskates808 for letting me hang on to those extra cups after that Orchard online order mixup). I also took note that the pivot cavity in that truck had some sharp edges round the rim that could have caused it to go earlier than it should have... I do LOTS of slappies but not exclusively, I skate ledges and transition quite a bit as well.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2021, 12:11:00 AM »

From ace^

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2021, 03:30:36 AM »
The few sets of Classics I have had, new and used, are not showing any issues.

I don't recall seeing any issues but I don't come across too many sets of Ace trucks on my travels either.

A couple of people I know who have AF1 trucks have so far been happy with how they performed too, when I think about others who are on Ace.

From seeing all the issues in the Ace thread, I was not at all in a hurry to get the AF1 trucks, but I don't need any new trucks at all, so it wasn't really much of a deciding factor anyway.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

smoothbrain

• Rep: 23
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2021, 03:40:28 AM »
All the classics I have had have been completely fine the first and best aces I ever had were some 44's that had the small axle nut instead of the normal sized one idk what 'stage' they were but those little axle nuts were great.

I take off the top washer and the kingpin nut is finger tight, however the front pivot cup on my af1's disintegrated in about 2 weeks same truck tightness just seemed like the pivot cup was too soft and fell apart.

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2021, 03:52:32 AM »
No cup issues on my Classic 44's. Been riding them hard for a year now. A LOT of high-impact curb riding on them (im not soft footed on curbs, i love the bash n' smash). I ride them factory loose.

But, one of the axels is not cast in straight. The axle hasn't slipped, its just one side has a sizeable amount of extra axle space than the other and it kinda drives me crazy

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2021, 04:09:14 AM »
Had no issues on my classic 55s, but my AF1 pivot cups were torn after 2 sessions. Replaced them with Indy cups and they seem to be fine now.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

IpathCats

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2021, 06:57:23 AM »
Haven't had enough time on mine to say for  sure yet, they seem fine at the moment, but I am literally on the edge of my seat to see where this ends up.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2021, 07:43:59 AM »
Classics 44s, ground down to the axle, but no noticeable issues with the pivot cups. I did however have both kingpins come loose from the baseplate (loose trucks, lots of slappys). I could have probably pressed them back in and JB Weld’ed them into place, but instead I did the Kreeper mod.

I’m sure the AF1s are fine but I picked up some extra 44 Classics when they were $11 per truck, so I’m set on trucks for a while.

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2021, 07:45:38 AM »
Classics 44s, ground down to the axle, but no noticeable issues with the pivot cups. I did however have both kingpins come loose from the baseplate (loose trucks, lots of slappys). I could have probably pressed them back in and JB Weld’ed them into place, but instead I did the Kreeper mod.

I’m sure the AF1s are fine but I picked up some extra 44 Classics when they were $11 per truck, so I’m set on trucks for a while.

What a deal, that kinda shit would never happen in Europe

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2021, 07:55:47 AM »
Classic 44s, never had an issue. Have some AF1 55s on ice so will report back

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2021, 07:56:11 AM »
Lol yeah, we have it good in that regard. With supply chain problems increasing, I’ve been stashing a few more things here and there.

Still though, I’ll trade cheap Ace Trucks for universal healthcare.

Frontside Slappy

• Rep: 91
  • Somewhere in a parking garage
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2021, 09:11:10 AM »
On AF1 55's atm, skate every day for around 2 hours. Mostly slappies and have a slightly cracked pivot cup on my front truck, nothing crazy though.
"That was a clean one." -Werner Herzog

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2021, 09:17:30 AM »
On AF1 55's atm, skate every day for around 2 hours. Mostly slappies and have a slightly cracked pivot cup on my front truck, nothing crazy though.

Nice pfp

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2021, 09:26:02 PM »
Been on Classics for years now and more recently on AF1s. I have ripped the pivot cup bushings in all of them. Second set of AF1s I had I had the pivot cavity on my front truck get a dent which made the pivot cup bushings rip more easily. Still skated them without any performance issues until the nut fell off from the back truck from being ground down so much it wouldn’t hold anymore. I do way too many slappies on rough curbs though. I ride the Classics otherwise stock but with Indy washers and AF1s stock. Nuts flush on both. I’ll run the ripped up pivot cup bushings until they start to wear down so much that there’s too much metal to metal contact. Then I replace them and repeat until the trucks are done.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 09:45:18 AM by Roisto »