Author Topic: How to store griptape properly?  (Read 1142 times)

Torre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -30
How to store griptape properly?
« on: October 12, 2021, 11:14:42 AM »
Hey y’all, I just bought a roll of Jessup Ultra grip and was wondering the best way to store it, as I know griptape can become unusable if not stored properly. I had a couple of sheets that I left exposed to the air by keeping them in the closet with the door open and when I tried to peel the paper off it stuck to it and ripped, rendering it unusable. Also, I’ve had Mob grip in the past stored the wrong way and it lost its grippiness very fast. So I don’t want to waste the $80 I spent on this new roll I ordered, so any suggestions on how to store properly would be much appreciated. TIA!

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: How to store griptape properly?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 11:34:39 AM »
Hey y’all, I just bought a roll of Jessup Ultra grip and was wondering the best way to store it, as I know griptape can become unusable if not stored properly. I had a couple of sheets that I left exposed to the air by keeping them in the closet with the door open and when I tried to peel the paper off it stuck to it and ripped, rendering it unusable. Also, I’ve had Mob grip in the past stored the wrong way and it lost its grippiness very fast. So I don’t want to waste the $80 I spent on this new roll I ordered, so any suggestions on how to store properly would be much appreciated. TIA!

I leave my grip out in the open air and it's completely fine, never had any problems in 20 years of skating. Also I've seen how many skate shops across the US store their griptape (not because I was intently observing how they do that, just because when you set up a board at a shop you see their grip stash) and as far as I can remember they all have stored it out in the open. Jessup was originally made to put on the ground or on walkways so that when it rains or snows no one will slip and fall, I think it'll be able to handle your closet. In recent times I've skated sheets of grip that I know for a fact have been sitting around for years at the shop and it felt the exact same to grip and ride as any other sheet of grip. If you're ripping paper while you peel grip peel it more carefully and/or peel it in a different direction, you can also get the part of the paper you ripped off using a razor blade or if you have long nails.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 04:03:42 PM »
in the garage, i feel safe
no one cares about my ways
in the garage where i belong
no one hears me sing this song

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 06:14:25 PM »

Not sure if it is so much how you store it, compared to the quality of it to begin with.

Definitely had some not so good batches that peeled the wrong way right from go in a shop I was in, and that didn't seem like it was old grip as they went through lots there.

Some I have had sitting around (flat sheets in sealed grip boxes) have seemed to lose the sticky feeling on older sheets, so for those being completely sealed away from the elements, there might not be a good way, so much as it is the longevity of the grip.

One guy I knew used to swear by cutting up rolls and keeping them flat, which made it easier to apply but I don't think there were any other long term benefits from it.

If you do cut it up, make sure you have the correct lengths to start with.

A couple of rolls I have are sealed in bags and they are still fine.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

theoriginalgoon

• Rep: -63
  • eight equals d
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 11:15:02 PM »
as long as its a cool, dry place i think its fine.
Me: I found skate Jesus.

Slap: Yeah, well maybe if he does the crucifix switch I will believe it.

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 05:43:28 AM »
I’ve been in shops where the grip is kept on the floor behind the counter.

As long as it’s not freezing or melting you should be good. Dry too I guess(as in keep it dry(not wet(moist(MOIST)))).

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 10:46:45 AM »
I have a cork board in thee ole garage. I put four pins thru the edge and let the sheet hang down. When ready for use, unpin, grip, and go.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 11:57:52 AM »
I roll sheets up in a sealed box plastic thing in my closet. I haven’t had issues with the grip.

I will also agree with just keeping it in a cool dry place.
I imagine leaving it out in the open May not be the best because dust could possibly gather on the grip.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2021, 02:00:50 PM »
I have mine in a shoebox, never had any problem last summer I set up some bulk brand that has been sitting 5+years in my closet.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2021, 03:09:39 PM »
I secretly collect grip please don't judge

I store them flat in a board box under my bed

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2021, 08:43:38 PM »
not somewhere hot or in direct sunlight

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2021, 12:46:49 PM »
I keep it in the closet.  Garage gets too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2021, 12:59:56 PM »
you are correct, I think its the adhesive for the grip paper thats the problem. When adhesive come into any contact with moisture in the air it drys out, kind of like super glue even though you have the cap on it still drys out

closest are notorious for moisture control issues, due to lack of venting and damp to wet clothes after laundry. 

You could put them in a giant plastic bag that can be sealed off from air

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2021, 01:15:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
you are correct, I think its the adhesive for the grip paper thats the problem. When adhesive come into any contact with moisture in the air it drys out, kind of like super glue even though you have the cap on it still drys out

closest are notorious for moisture control issues, due to lack of venting and damp to wet clothes after laundry. 

This may be true.  I will say that the closet I keep mine in is in my home office so there isn't the laundry/moisture issue.  And I live in a desert.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2021, 02:12:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This may be true.  I will say that the closet I keep mine in is in my home office so there isn't the laundry/moisture issue.  And I live in a desert.

Yea you also gotta keep in mind your climate zone,  here in nor. CA we really dont have issue with humidity.   

I work in construction and most the time when there is mold or mildew issues its in the bathroom, laundry rooms, and walk in closets with no ventilation

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2021, 10:06:35 AM »
roll it up grip side in and tape it so it stays rolled. then throw it in a bag. never had a problem with that. flat in a board box comment is a good idea