Author Topic: VHS Fisheye Options  (Read 418 times)

FROTHY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
VHS Fisheye Options
« on: October 12, 2021, 01:18:06 PM »
I have a VHS camera in great condition, but it is not able to focus through a fisheye (I tried a 58mm opteka fisheye (bootleg death lens) and tried manually focusing). Seems like the focal distance isn't close enough as it stands. Does anyone know any tips/hacks to get an older camera to focus through a fisheye?

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
Re: VHS Fisheye Options
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 01:02:51 PM »
you could try buying a cheap macro/closeup filter set and see if one of them will help. prob a lower strength one
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 02:41:03 PM »
you could try buying a cheap macro/closeup filter set and see if one of them will help. prob a lower strength one

I'll give that a go. I forgot about those really thin macro rings you can get for cheap. Thanks for the suggestion.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 07:43:38 AM »

Just an update on this, in case it's ever useful to anyone. I bought two sets of macro lenses, each with a +2, 4, and 10 lens. After trying a bunch of combinations, the one that made things most in-focus was 2, 10, 10. I was surprised how much magnification I needed. Unfortunately, those three macro lenses made the image cloudy, and the range of focus is very narrow.

I've decided to scrap the idea of running the fisheye on the vhs, but I'll be using it for b-roll. Fisheye will be used on a hi8 handycam.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 12:20:30 PM »
Pretty sure Palasonic was filmed on a VHS camera with an mk-1 duct taped to it.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E