Author Topic: T funk thrasher cover  (Read 24989 times)

BALARGUE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Re: T funk thrasher cover
« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2021, 06:26:03 AM »
you are pretty delusional if you think only a make can be printed, cover or not
Just ask any photographer, you just use the best photo ( and i don't feel like they picked the right one here)

It doesn't look like he cleared the bench (posture, position of the board feels like it's descending too soon, he seems too far from the end). i don't see any fisheye distortion or weird angle that could make this one a make.
I'd love to be wrong, that would give another perspective

The trick is legendary but it's not the correct photo imo

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2021, 06:36:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm calling into the bank and jam onto bench. $100.
[close]
I'll message you when the footage comes out. Feel free to do the same.
[close]

What's your call? Do you seriously believe he cleared that? It's clear he lands about a foot short.
I have a hard time believing mike burnett okayed a cover for an ollie land into bank and bench. Are we talking that specific try from the photo? I don't think he made that one. But I do think he made one (ollie the whole bench).

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2021, 09:55:44 AM »
Just ask any photographer, you just use the best photo ( and i don't feel like they picked the right one here)

It doesn't look like he cleared the bench (posture, position of the board feels like it's descending too soon, he seems too far from the end). i don't see any fisheye distortion or weird angle that could make this one a make.

a real fan of skateboarding right here folks

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1132
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2021, 10:09:47 AM »
hahaha that caption is amazing. i’d have butterflies in my stomach if someone described me like that

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2021, 10:14:20 AM »
Now that i am stoned enough I think I can see it. the way he did it is shifty and it acutally makes sense with the way he does an ollie like that on transition. thats why it looks like he is on a weird trajectory but he is actually still on the way up basically or just at the peak. you have to imagine he is hauling ass that is why it probably seems hard to believe. hes basically just started his forward movement in the air at this point. the bank kind of sends you a certain way that you probably wouldnt expect but its deceptively steep so it kind of sucks you back in naturally
ONTARIO CANADA

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2021, 10:24:29 AM »
Expand Quote
T-Funk does seem to have cat like reflexes and being well aware of that, but this is insanely high rolling. Not quite water tower level, but we're on our way up there.

This is a bridge...
[close]

had the water towers in mind to - the bench ollie could become a classic cover like the towers.
The Towers are even more simple everybody also non skaters understand how deadly that spot is
 - and nobody ever touch that spot again - which gave that spot a extra gnarly appearance.
May the most iconic cover ever.

But China banks is a different game. - this is one of the most iconic spot ever- since 40 years every Pro and kid visiting SF skate that  spot - and frontside ollie at least to me is the first go trick on a steep bank spot. BUT NOBODY EVER
thought about going over the big bench. Most of the people (at least me) struggle doing a frontside carve over the short bench.

I terms of comparing this to the water tower ollie, I was thinking about how dangerous this is. Mark that I'm only stating, that we're on our way up there, and your point that no one else ever touched to water towers differs it from this one.
The danger I consider, is that he's going mach 10, riding up a steep ass bank to fly in the air. With the speed it will take to clear the bench, chances are that you would get a wobble going up the bank, aiming to get up flying in the air all ready. He could've fallen over the top of the bank trying this one. It's insane in my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryj64b_wtf8

3:21
Considering all of you talking about how this might even be a make or not, if you look at Eli's carve, he get's down behind the bench a whole board length before it ends. Chances are that T-Funk does it in kind of the same way, and it might not have been done quite in the way you'd imagine.
I imagine him stretching his feet real far out before landing, carving down behind the bench. Maybe a slam where his calf gets caught on the corner of the bench catapulting him off sideways over the top of the bench.

I've never been to the spot actually. Isn't the bench positioned like a foot out from the bank? In that case, considering him landing on the bank and getting back on to the bench would be ridiculous..
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2021, 10:33:10 AM »
someone already said earleir the photog commented that he did the entire bench no carve in early
ONTARIO CANADA

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #97 on: October 14, 2021, 12:16:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Have we discounted that he’s short enough to land on the bank early and go UNDER the bench?
[close]

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 50
« Reply #98 on: October 14, 2021, 01:25:45 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryj64b_wtf8

3:21

Considering all of you talking about how this might even be a make or not, if you look at Eli's carve, he get's down behind the bench a whole board length before it ends. Chances are that T-Funk does it in kind of the same way, and it might not have been done quite in the way you'd imagine.
I imagine him stretching his feet real far out before landing, carving down behind the bench. Maybe a slam where his calf gets caught on the corner of the bench catapulting him off sideways over the top of the bench.

I've never been to the spot actually. Isn't the bench positioned like a foot out from the bank? In that case, considering him landing on the bank and getting back on to the bench would be ridiculous..

OK now this makes sense, seeing how much room there is to land behind the bench without having to clear it. He doesn't have to clear the bench, just stay on the bank and carve out whatevers left. Still amazing considering that simply carving this was an Ender.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2021, 01:36:36 PM »
*switch,

but still

cky enthusiast

« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2021, 01:40:16 PM »
“stupid, shitty skin, makes jokes that never land? sounds like our kind of guy”

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2021, 03:24:39 PM »
He had to have cleared the whole thing by that caption but I don’t see how the hell you would get the speed for that just pushing. Seems like a weird spot for a motorcycle tow in, maybe he used one of those bunjee slingshot things.

He probably ollie or dropped in from the top

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUku2BbJN_B/?utm_medium=copy_link

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2021, 03:37:34 PM »
I’m sorry but anyone doubting he cleared that is just stupid. Thrasher wouldn’t use this as the cover if it wasn’t a make, neither some weird ollie into the bench. They literally have it on the description saying that he cleared the whole thing. They also know people gonna wait for footy to prove it. I hope someone gets the 100 bucks.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2021, 03:46:08 PM »
I think it’s pretty safe to say he did a high speed carve over part of the bench, snapped a fs ollie and skurted around the end of it. That thing is no joke i really doubt anybody just aired the whole thing, i don’t even think that’s possible

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2021, 06:39:19 PM »
Either way, all I see is a fake flip. Over the whole bench or not. 

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2021, 12:59:39 AM »
Expand Quote
And as someone said I think cover bails are long long gone. Ones that come to mind are Penny’s front blunt, and Mariano’s switch shove nosegrind. Those were in the mid nineties. Any others come to mind?
[close]

cant remember where i saw it pointed out(twitter maybe) but i've seen like a JFK investigation into Dane Burnam's cover not being the make.
Which cover?
 I think photos that aren't "the" make still get run. As long as the trick did get landed. Or sometimes there's multiple makes and maybe the best photo and best footage aren't from the same one

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2021, 01:22:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i'm just a nerd, aren't you ?

I think it’s pretty safe to say he did a high speed carve over part of the bench, snapped a fs ollie and skurted around the end of it. That thing is no joke i really doubt anybody just aired the whole thing, i don’t even think that’s possible
this
i still wonder where he pops - bricks or top ledge (there's a crack though ?)

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2021, 05:29:26 AM »
*whistle blows*
The ruling in the mag is under review.

conqueso

« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2021, 05:32:02 AM »
we just want footy of the late shuv. fuck china banks.

butterballs for jerry

• Rep: -56
« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2021, 06:27:41 AM »

He's definitely taking off from pretty deep in the bench, he might still be going up in the cover shot
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2021, 06:40:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He's definitely taking off from pretty deep in the bench, he might still be going up in the cover shot
I don't understand these statements.  If he rides up the bank, ollies over the bench then lands back in the bank then he ollied the bench.  It doesn't matter if he carves into it or not.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #111 on: October 15, 2021, 07:11:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I don't understand these statements.  If he rides up the bank, ollies over the bench then lands back in the bank then he ollied the bench.  It doesn't matter if he carves into it or not.
If I had just heard he Ollied the bench that's how I'd assume he did it but the photos shown look like he is way too high way too early to just skip a Ollie land and carve. He may not clear all of it but it's going to be the majority

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2021, 07:14:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
If I had just heard he Ollied the bench that's how I'd assume he did it but the photos shown look like he is way too high way too early to just skip a Ollie land and carve. He may not clear all of it but it's going to be the majority
He has to clear all of it or he slams into the bench.  And possibly dies.  Dude just hauled ass and ollied the long bench, that's all there is to it.

benboardbreaker

• Rep: 51
« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2021, 11:01:59 AM »
Expand Quote

- This.

[close]

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2021, 12:09:18 PM »
How cool is it that this cover is so good that people argue for four pages if it is a make or not?

butterballs for jerry

• Rep: -56
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2021, 12:20:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I don't think anyone is saying he didn't ollie the bench. I'm just trying to wrap my head around it, since he's at such an odd height for where he is in relation to the bench.
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2021, 12:45:26 PM »
How cool is it that this cover is so good that people argue for four pages if it is a make or not?

T Funk would be laughing at us if he could read

baggy spandex

« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2021, 12:55:35 PM »
I sure hope the guy who filmed Masons cover didn’t film this!

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2021, 01:23:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lol
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #119 on: October 15, 2021, 07:22:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

T Flunk