Author Topic: Vans Nice To See You  (Read 17003 times)

Nosebleed-section

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 30
Re: Vans Nice To See You
« Reply #150 on: October 14, 2021, 04:32:53 PM »
Ronnie is so rad, Body Maintenance was a great song choice, and I hope that clown boy hating on Nick in his pro thread watches this part and eats his own socks
just nipples affiliate

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #151 on: October 14, 2021, 04:37:04 PM »
Ronnie is so rad, Body Maintenance was a great song choice, and I hope that clown boy hating on Nick in his pro thread watches this part and eats his own socks
I doubt he will eat his socks. That dude deems anything thats not done on 7.75 and under decks while wearing the most golden era outfits as ugly and wack.

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 78
« Reply #152 on: October 14, 2021, 05:02:53 PM »
This was honestly one of the best full-lengths I've seen in ages, great vibes all the way through. Chima just catapulted himself into legend territory for sure. Breezy was sick as fuck, didn't expect that Thrasher cover crook into the roof bank to go to fakie, honestly made it way sicker riding down that thing switch.

Notis was incredible, hope to see more of him soon. Dustin Henry and Nick Michel shredded. Pedro's ride-on grind game is out of control.

Japan section was possibly my favorite, so much incredible skating and spot-selection in there. Anyone know who the girl in that section was? Sick style on that smith and bs flip

Definitely high rewatch value on this for sure.

Turns out it's Hina Maeda, she won Tampa Pro last year. Yungin out here rippin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn5v8gqWLZ4

Nosebleed-section

• Rep: 30
« Reply #153 on: October 14, 2021, 05:26:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I doubt he will eat his socks. That dude deems anything thats not done on 7.75 and under decks while wearing the most golden era outfits as ugly and wack.
I knowwwww you’re right I’m just a sucker for a revenge story
just nipples affiliate

doublesteveburger

« Reply #154 on: October 14, 2021, 05:29:18 PM »
this is why Chima’s had two shoes on Vans

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #155 on: October 14, 2021, 05:44:19 PM »
Worst soundtrack but great skating

Chima SOTY. His skills are undeniable. Big. Tech. Smooth

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #156 on: October 14, 2021, 06:27:36 PM »
Chima owns Martin Pl. He's killed it there since he was a kid.

Nick Michel's part was one of the best this year - SDRE was perfect.

And if anyone can tell me if that spot @ 6:12 is in Melbourne I'd be super thankful, looks incredible.

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #157 on: October 14, 2021, 06:29:51 PM »
Just watched Chima's part.

Geeze he is too good.
That double set ollie at martin is fudged

need to watch the rest of it now

(this is the first skate vid I've wanted to watch in ages)

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #158 on: October 14, 2021, 06:58:33 PM »
Vans the gang way, just watched some of the full vid
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #159 on: October 14, 2021, 06:58:50 PM »
Enjoyed the whole video, ill be watching it again for sure.

All the parts had stand out tricks and no part let me down, I didn't have an issue with the music, which is pretty rare these days in a full length.

Hadn't heard of alexey or notis but planning to check out more of them.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #160 on: October 14, 2021, 07:58:58 PM »
second I heard that drum into by SDRE I knew it was on!

Doom patrol

• Rep: 70
« Reply #161 on: October 14, 2021, 09:26:14 PM »
Not many people can make big, gnarly skating look as graceful as Chima. Dude is incredible.
Notis was a standout for me, no easy feat in a stacked video.
Love his approach to skating and look forward to seeing more from him.

Don

• Rep: -31
« Reply #162 on: October 14, 2021, 09:34:27 PM »
Expand Quote
I must be out of step but I just thought it was ok. Filming was very uneven, espically the first half. I can't stand emo music so you can guess my opinion of the soundtrack.

In this format it felt a bit cobbled together, also a bit bloated. At times I felt like I was stuck toughing out yet another kid nosesliding a knee high ledge in order to get to the good stuff.

I feel like all Vans full lengths disappoint me a bit though. With the ridiculous amount of talent that team has they oughtta be putting out the best vid of the year every time they do a full length. Hell they oughtta be able to put one out every year too, considering the team.
[close]
Interesting analysis. I partially agree, but I don't think it has to be framed as a negative. From my vantage point it appears that Gen Z's consumer preferences are different than previous generations.

These shifting consumer tastes are largely driving this phenomenon of moving away from "skill" and adherence to group norms with a much larger emphasis on friendship, creative expression, and diversity than in the past.

Skateboarding is a really cool blend of art and sport, and that tension of style (how you do things) vs. skill (what you can do) has always existed. Think Hosoi vs. Hawk in the 80s. 

The formula is imprecise, but it seems that to succeed in the skate industry brands have to walk that line with who they pick and choose to represent their products and how they market themselves.

Gen Z seems to be the first generation to be true digital natives in the sense that (with the exception of the oldest of their cohort) they cannot remember a time in which social media didn't exist. They tend to be a lot more accepting of people's differences, which I think can be attributed to growing up in hyper-fractured online spaces with hundreds, if not thousands, of cultural niches to mix and match at will.

Millennials accelerated this phenomenon, but the world was still physical enough that a more standard set of tastes and values emerged.   

The defining feature of Gen Z seems to be embracing "corny" stuff like Y2K fashion, emo and post-grunge music, and looking at skateboarding as a way to express themselves and meet people. Not taking it as seriously. Having fun with it and caring a lot less about what is "cool." Being anti-cool is cool now or something haha.

I think these changes can lead to a lot of positives! I came up on the tail end of a much harsher, judgmental, white-and-male-dominated subculture. A lot of the hand-wringing I see from older skaters I think is fundamentally rooted in existential anxiety as they are slowly being pushed aside for a new paradigm.

The kids at skateparks nowadays seem a lot nicer, friendlier, and hyped on most things as opposed to when I was their age. They are the most diverse generation in US history, and are more aware of social issues and current events than their predecessors. 

I'm sure the bean counters at VF Corp ran the numbers and realized that in addition to being a "good look," moving away from the industry formula of taking skinny, primarily caucasian skaters and convincing them the only way to succeed in skateboarding was to move to California and jump down as many stairs/grind the biggest rails possible doesn't translate to dollars as much as it used to.

The teens and twenty-somethings of today are more diverse, and they want to see themselves represented in their subcultures. While reactionaries in the community rant and rave about the latest shoe company ad featuring a woman doing a "sub-par" trick, tens of thousands of girls see that ad on Instagram and get inspired to go out and push their own boundaries.

This only gets more women and girls in skateboarding and elevates the talent pool as a whole. It's crazy to see footage from women's contests even a decade ago vs. now. The skill differential is insane, and women are only continuing to get better and catch up to their male counterparts. This is a HUGE positive.

Let's see the bigger picture here. It's a balance, and there will always be a welcome spot in skateboarding for people who rip and push the discipline to new heights.

I'm very stoked overall on the new, more inclusive and welcoming direction skateboarding has been going for some time now. Sorry for the rant lol.

This

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #163 on: October 14, 2021, 09:43:40 PM »
Not many people can make big, gnarly skating look as graceful as Chima. Dude is incredible.
Notis was a standout for me, no easy feat in a stacked video.
Love his approach to skating and look forward to seeing more from him.

That kickflip into the ledge was amazing!

shrockitis

• Rep: 3
« Reply #164 on: October 14, 2021, 10:36:26 PM »
Fuck Chima and his continued association with known rapist Colin Evans. There is no doubt in anyone's mind in the Sydney and Melbourne skate scenes that he has sexually assaulted multiple women. I find it so performative that magazines like Slam and Free have pages dedicated to the importance of consent but then have no hesitation in tagging him in footage he filmed for Chima's new part. Everything luredbyproskaters posted regarding Colin doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of the stuff this pathetic excuse for a human being has done. Chima should be forced to address this and explain why he continues to skate and film with Colin.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #165 on: October 15, 2021, 12:03:54 AM »
Worst soundtrack but great skating

Chima SOTY. His skills are undeniable. Big. Tech. Smooth

I expected to come here and see everyone trashing the music, I get it's subjective but to me that was the worst skate video soundtrack of all time probably, it had no flow whatsoever. Some great skating overall and a good video on mute.
Hey Ya Hey YA HEY
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 12:11:52 AM by offkilter »

FakieDisaster

• Rep: 25
  • old leg
« Reply #166 on: October 15, 2021, 12:48:48 AM »
been a while since i last watched full length this good.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #167 on: October 15, 2021, 01:49:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I must be out of step but I just thought it was ok. Filming was very uneven, espically the first half. I can't stand emo music so you can guess my opinion of the soundtrack.

In this format it felt a bit cobbled together, also a bit bloated. At times I felt like I was stuck toughing out yet another kid nosesliding a knee high ledge in order to get to the good stuff.

I feel like all Vans full lengths disappoint me a bit though. With the ridiculous amount of talent that team has they oughtta be putting out the best vid of the year every time they do a full length. Hell they oughtta be able to put one out every year too, considering the team.
[close]
Interesting analysis. I partially agree, but I don't think it has to be framed as a negative. From my vantage point it appears that Gen Z's consumer preferences are different than previous generations.

These shifting consumer tastes are largely driving this phenomenon of moving away from "skill" and adherence to group norms with a much larger emphasis on friendship, creative expression, and diversity than in the past.

Skateboarding is a really cool blend of art and sport, and that tension of style (how you do things) vs. skill (what you can do) has always existed. Think Hosoi vs. Hawk in the 80s. 

The formula is imprecise, but it seems that to succeed in the skate industry brands have to walk that line with who they pick and choose to represent their products and how they market themselves.

Gen Z seems to be the first generation to be true digital natives in the sense that (with the exception of the oldest of their cohort) they cannot remember a time in which social media didn't exist. They tend to be a lot more accepting of people's differences, which I think can be attributed to growing up in hyper-fractured online spaces with hundreds, if not thousands, of cultural niches to mix and match at will.

Millennials accelerated this phenomenon, but the world was still physical enough that a more standard set of tastes and values emerged.   

The defining feature of Gen Z seems to be embracing "corny" stuff like Y2K fashion, emo and post-grunge music, and looking at skateboarding as a way to express themselves and meet people. Not taking it as seriously. Having fun with it and caring a lot less about what is "cool." Being anti-cool is cool now or something haha.

I think these changes can lead to a lot of positives! I came up on the tail end of a much harsher, judgmental, white-and-male-dominated subculture. A lot of the hand-wringing I see from older skaters I think is fundamentally rooted in existential anxiety as they are slowly being pushed aside for a new paradigm.

The kids at skateparks nowadays seem a lot nicer, friendlier, and hyped on most things as opposed to when I was their age. They are the most diverse generation in US history, and are more aware of social issues and current events than their predecessors. 

I'm sure the bean counters at VF Corp ran the numbers and realized that in addition to being a "good look," moving away from the industry formula of taking skinny, primarily caucasian skaters and convincing them the only way to succeed in skateboarding was to move to California and jump down as many stairs/grind the biggest rails possible doesn't translate to dollars as much as it used to.

The teens and twenty-somethings of today are more diverse, and they want to see themselves represented in their subcultures. While reactionaries in the community rant and rave about the latest shoe company ad featuring a woman doing a "sub-par" trick, tens of thousands of girls see that ad on Instagram and get inspired to go out and push their own boundaries.

This only gets more women and girls in skateboarding and elevates the talent pool as a whole. It's crazy to see footage from women's contests even a decade ago vs. now. The skill differential is insane, and women are only continuing to get better and catch up to their male counterparts. This is a HUGE positive.

Let's see the bigger picture here. It's a balance, and there will always be a welcome spot in skateboarding for people who rip and push the discipline to new heights.

I'm very stoked overall on the new, more inclusive and welcoming direction skateboarding has been going for some time now. Sorry for the rant lol.
[close]

This

Seconded. A very well thought out post
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

WavyDavy

• Rep: 129
« Reply #168 on: October 15, 2021, 02:11:11 AM »

i just remembered the last emerica vid i felt asleep cause it was so monoton

Dog the Bounty Hunter

• Rep: 0
« Reply #169 on: October 15, 2021, 03:02:29 AM »
that was a rough video to watch. first and last were good and isolate the ET and Dustin footy for a middle montage. the ozzie dude who skates like Massimo is tight too.
Icehead

HisNameIsntWarren

• Rep: 48
« Reply #170 on: October 15, 2021, 05:03:48 AM »
Throughout the whole video all I was thinking about was how sick Nick Michel’s part was. Like goddamn that was a perfect part. Frog better hold on tight cus this dudes a shoe in for Baker or Krooked. Chosen one for sure.

Welcome to the OC bitch! This is how it’s done in Orange County.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #171 on: October 15, 2021, 05:19:06 AM »
Throughout the whole video all I was thinking about was how sick Nick Michel’s part was. Like goddamn that was a perfect part. Frog better hold on tight cus this dudes a shoe in for Baker or Krooked. Chosen one for sure.

I still don't get why people have comments like this. Remember when Jack O'Grady was going to go to Anti Hero?  ::)

Thought the video was solid. Some head scratching decisions in terms of editing. Really enjoyed the Nick Michel part, but was confused with the two weird close ups of the spots before it switched to the trick, and thought some tricks could've benefited with a long lense angle as opposed a fisheye, and vice versa. Is this the first time Daniel Dent has used a HD camera?

Enjoyed Diego, Dustin & ET. Breana had a few ABD's. Surprised we didn't see Glick pop up. I don't think Greg Hunt has that touch anymore, I could see what he was trying to do with the Chima part with those two songs, but I don't think it quite clicked. Phenomenal skating from Chima regardless.

disintegration

• Rep: -113
« Reply #172 on: October 15, 2021, 05:58:01 AM »
that was a rough video to watch. first and last were good and isolate the ET and Dustin footy for a middle montage. the ozzie dude who skates like Massimo is tight too.

Everyone should be acquainted with Simon Zuzic. Such a sick skater with a very unique bag of tricks. Reminds me of Gino.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTO54gHhId8/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4KManilSL4/

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #173 on: October 15, 2021, 07:27:50 AM »
the shoes still suck though imo  8)
ONTARIO CANADA

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #174 on: October 15, 2021, 07:41:10 AM »
- Be skater who rides for Real
- Get last part in Vans video
- Skate to old timey generic music
- get SOTY on strength of said part

history repeats itself. I think a Chima SOTY would hold up better in retrospect than Kyle Walker's, his lifetime body of work is unfuckwithable

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #175 on: October 15, 2021, 07:47:41 AM »
the shoes still suck though imo  8)
hahaha
I refuse to believe Chima jumps down all that shit in same shoes as sold retail... Or he has bionic feet.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #176 on: October 15, 2021, 08:08:00 AM »

Remember when Vans threatened to kick off Alex Olson if he ever moved away from California? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #177 on: October 15, 2021, 08:26:21 AM »
second I heard that drum into by SDRE I knew it was on!
💯 . & hot water music . !! 

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #178 on: October 15, 2021, 08:31:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Remember when Vans threatened to kick off Alex Olson if he ever moved away from California? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

That probably has more to do with Alex Olson than anything else. He didn't really do shit for Vans when he lived locally so surely he wouldn't do much if he lived across the country. And in the grand scheme of things that turned out to be mostly true.

warmonke

• Rep: 43
« Reply #179 on: October 15, 2021, 09:04:20 AM »
Nick's opening part got me so hyped. Song, spot, and trick selection right on the money. Definitely one of my favourite parts I've seen in a while