Author Topic: Things That Are Specific to Skating in California  (Read 5357 times)

Tear Up a Trick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
Things That Are Specific to Skating in California
« on: October 13, 2021, 09:42:07 AM »
Haven't ever skated in California, only know what I read and see, and would love to hear from people what makes skateboarding in California wonderful / horrible / unique.

What are some of those "you know you're skating in California when" type things?

I somehow imagine some of these have extra relevancy in California?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiemJlT_ixA

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
Re: Things That Are Specific to Skating in California
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 09:51:22 AM »
Obviously not everyone but seems like people from California are kinda dumb. For skaters from the rest of the world it takes a ton of time and effort just to get there. You end up with a decent amount of life experience just saving up for the plane ticket.

People who just happen to be born there can stay as dumb as a suburban 13 year old well into their 40s (watch 9club experience) because they've never really had to work for anything.

lilboosie

• Rep: 226
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 10:04:25 AM »
below 70 means its cold so bundle up to skate

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 10:05:19 AM »
It’s not considered weird for an adult to do it.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 10:06:24 AM »
Alot of what was in that video applies to probably everywhere. If they based it in NYC, they'd have to add "This is a spot?" while pointing to a crusty 7 set rail where the runup is only 4 feet of bondo.

To answer the question though, California is unique due to perfect weather year round. What makes it bad is probably the abundance of skaters (local and visitors) which will blow up new spots 10x quicker than anywhere else.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 10:08:55 AM »
Obviously not everyone but seems like people from California are kinda dumb. For skaters from the rest of the world it takes a ton of time and effort just to get there. You end up with a decent amount of life experience just saving up for the plane ticket.

People who just happen to be born there can stay as dumb as a suburban 13 year old well into their 40s (watch 9club experience) because they've never really had to work for anything.
Ah yes old pros from the 9 club are typical Californians.nothing about them is unique to their experience, life is just that easy here

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 279
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 10:11:23 AM »
Boring footage. (Kidding...kind of...)

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2021, 10:13:41 AM »
It’s not considered weird for an adult to do it.

This is true.  I've lived in San Diego and SF.  It is not considered weird for a 30 year old to Skate/Surf.  On the East Coast there isn't much surfing (Basically VA Beach area, NC, SC, and Florida), but surfing is seen as a cool guy at the beach thing, where skateboarding is seen as playing with a child's toy. 

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 10:14:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Ah yes old pros from the 9 club are typical Californians.nothing about them is unique to their experience, life is just that easy here
Should of been clearer I meant as far as pro skateboarders. But yeah surf's up dude

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 10:19:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
Should of been clearer I meant as far as pro skateboarders. But yeah surf's up dude
Fair enough. Other than Hawk I agree the older set is a bunch of airheads who had it pretty easy.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2021, 10:20:52 AM »

So true.  Weather tolerance can be very regional.  My wife and I were at a resort in Jamaica for vacation.  It was unseasonably cold (Low 70s).  Us whiteys were still going to the beach and laying out by the pool.  The staff (Jamacians) we wearing puffy jackets, beanies, etc.  and complaining how it was freezing, mon.  My wife is from the south.  Around here I'll wear basketball shorts and a hoodie to walk our dogs well into the 50s, my wife busts out sweaters and jackets when it gets around 60. 

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2021, 10:22:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So true.  Weather tolerance can be very regional.  My wife and I were at a resort in Jamaica for vacation.  It was unseasonably cold (Low 70s).  Us whiteys were still going to the beach and laying out by the pool.  The staff (Jamacians) we wearing puffy jackets, beanies, etc.  and complaining how it was freezing, mon.  My wife is from the south.  Around here I'll wear basketball shorts and a hoodie to walk our dogs well into the 50s, my wife busts out sweaters and jackets when it gets around 60.
@Sizzla It’s under 70 degrees, what are you wearing?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

ginz2

• Rep: 4
  • i seent it.
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2021, 10:29:53 AM »
insane wax usage at skateparks
grom n proud

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2021, 10:34:33 AM »
Having everything and nothing to skate at the same time.

There are so many spots around the urban hubs of CA. It is also overwhelming sometimes because it can be difficult to just pick one, a la "the best spot" instead of just taking what sounds good for the session. Being in CA longterm can make you take spot accessibility and volume for granted.
That may not be CA-specific but it's the most notable aspect of being out there.
Super Champion Fun Zone

IpathCats

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 10:37:00 AM »

Obvious east coast bias on my part, but my experiences with the west coast have led me to believe this too. All my friends that have gone out there have had similar experiences too. We always kinda joke around about it. I think about it like this, if most people want to go to cali for whatever reason, to make it in hollywood, tech, skateboarding, whatever. And most people are stupid, then that's gonna make for a pretty high concentration of stupid people out there. Obviously not everyone is dumb on the west coast, just like everyone isn't mean on the east coast. But there are definitely trends....

shredder sequel

• Rep: 58
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2021, 11:09:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Probably a string vest and a beanie, man.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2021, 11:13:41 AM »

I see California dudes in hoodies and sweatshirts year round. It's like they want to die from heatstroke just for the swag.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2021, 11:25:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Probably two polo's, collar popped, with chino shorts and leather sandals, because his real name is Trent and he studies at Yale

shredder sequel

• Rep: 58
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2021, 11:38:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Probably two polo's, collar popped, with chino shorts and leather sandals, because his real name is Trent and he studies at Yale

It’s a shame he’s caught up in the TikTok “old money” aesthetic. 

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2021, 11:46:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2021, 11:55:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

I want to meet whoever it is one day and shake their hand.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2021, 12:03:11 PM »

Expand Quote

[close]

Obvious east coast bias on my part, but my experiences with the west coast have led me to believe this too. All my friends that have gone out there have had similar experiences too. We always kinda joke around about it. I think about it like this, if most people want to go to cali for whatever reason, to make it in hollywood, tech, skateboarding, whatever. And most people are stupid, then that's gonna make for a pretty high concentration of stupid people out there. Obviously not everyone is dumb on the west coast, just like everyone isn't mean on the east coast. But there are definitely trends....

I feel like this is definitely true especially in the entertainment areas of LA where it's just nothing but "I'm following my crazy dream"
Down here in sd there's lots of lifers, but also a lot of transplants that connect with the slightly slower pace of life than the LA hustle set.
I think the big thing about my area in Northern San Diego is that because it's perfect weather all year and there's a ton of parks, if you go to the park you will see a very diverse and wide set of skate archetypes. People will come here on vacation and you'll get to experience a microcosm of their scene and how they dress, there's a bunch of different types of local skaters as well (skeleton key vato dads, old man beach bums, "i knew Jay and Tony and was an OG Dogtown" stolen Valor types, surfer kids in trunks and vans, high Desert sand blasters, hypebeast supreme & FA kids, leftover Pissdrunx, old pros you looked up to who are just around all the time) there's a chance you'll see something different and weird every time you go skating or hit the park

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2021, 12:13:23 PM »
I lived in sf for a year and it truly is the worst winter weather ive ever experienced. Soaking through a hoodie at the beach on a windy 58 degree day cause relative humidity is 80% (I was also 20 pounds heavier last January which definitely had something to do with it lol). Also fire season is some real shit - going outside without a mask gives you cancer for a month or so out of the year

Interpersonally, skateboarding seems really popular and everyone I met seems to get it in a way I'd never experienced before. I'd explain that I spent pre-vaccine times on unemployment skating everyday and they totally understood. Roll up to the spot and even the kids say what's up.

In terms of public policy, skateboarders are like lower than dirt. That's just my anecdotal SF experience though
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2021, 12:31:43 PM »
insane wax usage at skateparks

I was going to say this. I never had to have wax with me when I was there..

Id say the average level of skating is higher then anywhere else I've been. Its not uncommon to see pros or street leagers at the parks. Also theres often locals or flow bros going harder at parks.

Also Some parks are basically a bar, like people show up everyday just to drink,smoke, and bullshit. Some of them dont ever have a board with them, some bring it but dont skate, some actually skate. Its a dichotomy, theres lot hustlers that work, and have like a brand or something their trying to take off, and then the opposite, people dont really do much and have no ambition. its interesting.

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2021, 12:49:31 PM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I feel like this is definitely true especially in the entertainment areas of LA where it's just nothing but "I'm following my crazy dream"
Down here in sd there's lots of lifers, but also a lot of transplants that connect with the slightly slower pace of life than the LA hustle set.
I think the big thing about my area in Northern San Diego is that because it's perfect weather all year and there's a ton of parks, if you go to the park you will see a very diverse and wide set of skate archetypes. People will come here on vacation and you'll get to experience a microcosm of their scene and how they dress, there's a bunch of different types of local skaters as well (skeleton key vato dads, old man beach bums, "i knew Jay and Tony and was an OG Dogtown" stolen Valor types, surfer kids in trunks and vans, high Desert sand blasters, hypebeast supreme & FA kids, leftover Pissdrunx, old pros you looked up to who are just around all the time) there's a chance you'll see something different and weird every time you go skating or hit the park

in heaven.... everything is fine...

in heaven..... everything is fine.....

in heaven..... every thing is fine......

You got your good thing.... and i've got mine.....

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2021, 01:00:06 PM »
Parks being ridiculously slippery because it never rains so they remain glossy smooth, but with an invisible layer of dust. I guess this may also exist in Arizona but I never noticed like I do at newer California parks.

Not having to worry if it's going to be dry tomorrow. I live in Vancouver and you have to take advantage of dry days because even in the summer you can get lots of rainy days. You end up skating on very gloomy and cold days just because it's the only dry day in the past 3 weeks. But in California you wake up to beautiful sun just about every day, and you don't mind when it actually does rain because they need it down there.

Favorite place on earth. Nothing feels like it. I end up looking at my surroundings when I'm there and just getting a huge, grateful smile on my face. I love a good skate day capped off with some great food while watching the amazing sun sets on the coast of southern California (should note all this is specific to SoCal. SF is great but I kind of stopped going there for more than a quick day trip once things got so expensive and gentrified. I like SD/LA far more these days).

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2021, 01:11:02 PM »
I can’t imagine looking around the nation right now and thinking California is where the dumb people are.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2021, 01:43:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Excuse I.  Are you saying Sizzla and Ras Trent are the same person?  Trust me.  You no wan test me champion sound.  Ba-da-ding- whoa.  Me smoke from the chalace I fi made from a Sprite can. 

theotherguy

• Rep: -26
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2021, 01:47:11 PM »
You know you're skating in California when...
You can skate outside almost every day.
Most of the time, people are friendly.
Adults, kids, boys, girls, dogs, and whatever elses skates.
You break for some water, tacos, burgers, sandwiches, thai, greek, middle eastern, or whatever other food you want to eat.
Weed everywhere.
Skateparks everywhere.
Skate spots everywhere.
The exact opposite of all this is also true. Who fucking cares, anyway?

mushroom slice

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2021, 01:47:50 PM »
I can’t imagine looking around the nation right now and thinking California is where the dumb people are.
all the real dumbos left Cali for Texas with Joe RoGaIN and the smartest guy he knows, that con man Elon Mush. Good luck charging your Tesla’s when the power grid goes down again. Yehaw!