Author Topic: Things That Are Specific to Skating in California  (Read 5352 times)

lou dawg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
Re: Things That Are Specific to Skating in California
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2021, 09:40:36 AM »
Hot take:

I feel like much of skating has moved on from big rails and stairs except for California.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2021, 01:40:57 PM »
Landing in LA after a lifetime of living and skating in NZ, was like, ok i see how this city launched skateboarding, defined it. The weather, the attitude of people you run into, the endless semi flat sprawl of streets and carparks you can get lost in. The biggest thing i noticed was the concrete, like everything is made of this super shiny, rock hard concrete that's just begging to be skated. The curbs are a wet dream.
Out here, most of our concrete is brittle and just turns to dust when you try to grind it. The curbs and concrete that we have at our parks, are inspired by what's right outside your house in LA.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2021, 04:08:55 PM »
Disclaimer: I'm just talking about SoCal in this post, and really just LA more specifically.

To everyone who says that Californians come off as "dumb," I have an alternate theory: Californians aren't dumb, they're just not especially verbal.

Growing up out east I thought Californians were dumb too. I went to a fancy college full of Californians who all seemed unable or unwilling to communicate any kind of complex idea. Then I spent some time actually living in LA, and now I'm in Texas. Something I've noticed is that although the cultures in TX and NYC are really different, they have something in common: a real culture of just gabbing incessantly. Talking, a lot. In California I found that people are plenty perceptive and intelligent, they just aren't as prone to expressing it verbally. This can lead to the stereotypical "passive aggression" that Californians are associated with as well.

And also skating is straight up just easier in SoCal. It's basically cheating.

Brguy

« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2021, 04:26:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Being at a skatepark in LA and having someone walk up to you with some stickers asking you to check out their brand on instagram (or does this happen everywhere now?)
[close]

along with LA, this happens to me in OC and SD too. This is ridiculously accurate haha
I've seen in Brazil too, skaters just love stickers, no matter the place.

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2021, 04:39:54 PM »
Expand Quote
I've never been, but those red curbs look amazing.
[close]

The other one I noticed was the sidewalks....

Pretty much Cali sidewalks are smoother than a pacnorthwest skatepark.  You don't realize you've been listening to that noise for decades....then you feel it through your feet.  It's pretty sick....

Barcy is one step beyond that.....

OK, so this one ... I feel like I went to a different Barcelona, haha. Aside from the route we took from Paralel to the area around Macba (and even the first stage of that route actually), just about every sidewalk I saw had that horrible square tile ground with massive cracks between each piece. I don't know how people skate on that stuff, it's like, 1000 times worse than the interlock brick spots we have here in Canada. It drove me nuts. I felt like I had been lied to. I remember people specifically telling me that the streets and sidewalks were endless granite/marble and you could just coast for miles, but when I visited we walked everywhere because of that damn tile ground being the most prominent surface.

I need a Barcelona re-do, but honestly, I'll take California over it any day.

work_lurker

• Rep: 61
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2021, 05:33:08 PM »
Born and raised in a small town pretty much right in the middle of SD and LA and can honestly say they are different worlds. Don’t go to LA, unless it’s your first time here and you want to do some skate spot tourism, LA blows. Be prepared to sit in traffic for an hour and a half to travel maybe 5 miles away, everything is close relatively speaking, but there’s no fast way of getting to anything. Public transportation sucks in this state. Also, everyone in LA generally just seems angry, and if they’re not angry then they seem very superficial. It’s also extremely expensive. You’ll pay $3,000 for a one bedroom apartment and right outside there’ll be a skid row full of people living on the sidewalk in tents and just drugged out of their minds. Not that uncommon to literally step in human shit, or watch a tweaker yell at a light pole and square up to it.

SD is the fucking place to be though! All the good things you’d imagine in LA (perfect weather, cities with SkateSpots all over, your favorite skater just chilling at the dog park) and the people are just way more laid back and friendly.
Do have to admit you can get vibed out by certain people, but that’s universal. You’ll get vibed out way more in LA then you would in SD.

Also would like to address the posts saying we’re all dumb. You’re not wrong, there’s a lot of idiots here. But also would like to point out that a lot of people emigrate here, so I think our idiot ratio is about on point with the rest of America, it’s just that so much more of America is here than in other states.  :-*
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2021, 05:54:29 PM »
Born and raised in a small town pretty much right in the middle of SD and LA and can honestly say they are different worlds. Don’t go to LA, unless it’s your first time here and you want to do some skate spot tourism, LA blows. Be prepared to sit in traffic for an hour and a half to travel maybe 5 miles away, everything is close relatively speaking, but there’s no fast way of getting to anything. Public transportation sucks in this state. Also, everyone in LA generally just seems angry, and if they’re not angry then they seem very superficial. It’s also extremely expensive. You’ll pay $3,000 for a one bedroom apartment and right outside there’ll be a skid row full of people living on the sidewalk in tents and just drugged out of their minds. Not that uncommon to literally step in human shit, or watch a tweaker yell at a light pole and square up to it.

SD is the fucking place to be though! All the good things you’d imagine in LA (perfect weather, cities with SkateSpots all over, your favorite skater just chilling at the dog park) and the people are just way more laid back and friendly.
Do have to admit you can get vibed out by certain people, but that’s universal. You’ll get vibed out way more in LA then you would in SD.

Also would like to address the posts saying we’re all dumb. You’re not wrong, there’s a lot of idiots here. But also would like to point out that a lot of people emigrate here, so I think our idiot ratio is about on point with the rest of America, it’s just that so much more of America is here than in other states.  :-*

What part of sd are you from brother? Fuck LA forever

work_lurker

• Rep: 61
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2021, 05:58:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Oceanside for the last couple of years! Riverside county before hand.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2021, 06:00:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Oceanside for the last couple of years! Riverside county before hand.

Hell yes dude. Born at tri city, spent most of my life in Vista, North County sd is the best place on earth. Do you live more in the valley of closer to the coast

PapaSquat

• Rep: 2
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2021, 06:10:05 PM »
Expand Quote
below 70 means its cold so bundle up to skate
[close]

So true.  Weather tolerance can be very regional.  My wife and I were at a resort in Jamaica for vacation.  It was unseasonably cold (Low 70s).  Us whiteys were still going to the beach and laying out by the pool.  The staff (Jamacians) we wearing puffy jackets, beanies, etc.  and complaining how it was freezing, mon.  My wife is from the south.  Around here I'll wear basketball shorts and a hoodie to walk our dogs well into the 50s, my wife busts out sweaters and jackets when it gets around 60.

As a Californian male, I bust out my jackets as soon as it dips below 70 but mostly just so I get to wear a jacket for once.

MadeYouLook

• Rep: 22
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2021, 06:35:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Pretty much Cali sidewalks are smoother than a pacnorthwest skatepark.  You don't realize you've been listening to that noise for decades....then you feel it through your feet.  It's pretty sick....

[close]

OK, so this one ... I feel like I went to a different Barcelona, haha. Aside from the route we took from Paralel to the area around Macba (and even the first stage of that route actually), just about every sidewalk I saw had that horrible square tile ground with massive cracks between each piece. I don't know how people skate on that stuff, it's like, 1000 times worse than the interlock brick spots we have here in Canada. It drove me nuts. I felt like I had been lied to. I remember people specifically telling me that the streets and sidewalks were endless granite/marble and you could just coast for miles, but when I visited we walked everywhere because of that damn tile ground being the most prominent surface.

Maybe a local can chime in because I don’t know the neighborhood names that well… but I am in Barcelona right now and it feels like there are spots and smooth ground most places I’ve been.

BugleBites

« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2021, 07:34:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Maybe a local can chime in because I don’t know the neighborhood names that well… but I am in Barcelona right now and it feels like there are spots and smooth ground most places I’ve been.

Although there are some spots that are made up of that tile (the bank to curb spot that Gustav and a lot of people somehow skate), I'm speaking more specifically about sidewalks. We were staying right next to Paralel, and as soon as you go out the door it's that tile, even as soon as you leave the confines of the Paralel spot. I was surprised to find that was the most common sidewalk material in Barcelona, as no one ever mentioned it.

But yeah, back on topic - California sidewalks are ridiculously smooth, it's so nice. Sometimes the cracks between each piece are big, but the overall smoothness makes up for it.

RossDailey

• Rep: -54
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2021, 08:29:00 PM »
It’s not considered weird for an adult to do it.

I'm in my late 30's & can mention that I skate for fun in job interviews & the interviewers are hyped.

And this is for professional / office setting type career.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2021, 09:29:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Although there are some spots that are made up of that tile (the bank to curb spot that Gustav and a lot of people somehow skate), I'm speaking more specifically about sidewalks. We were staying right next to Paralel, and as soon as you go out the door it's that tile, even as soon as you leave the confines of the Paralel spot. I was surprised to find that was the most common sidewalk material in Barcelona, as no one ever mentioned it.

But yeah, back on topic - California sidewalks are ridiculously smooth, it's so nice. Sometimes the cracks between each piece are big, but the overall smoothness makes up for it.
It depends in what barrio you are, like Raval has the smoothest sidewalks ever.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

BugleBites

« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2021, 09:42:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
It depends in what barrio you are, like Raval has the smoothest sidewalks ever.

True - and that's what I was referring to when I mentioned the route to Macba from Paralel. As soon as you cross the street and head diagonally up to Macba, great sidewalks there. Even more fun coming back home cause it was slightly downhill. Fuck those damn helicopter pods tho, lol. So hyped the Gustav board I grabbed while there had one of those as the graphic.

newguy

« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2021, 03:15:59 AM »
Regarding those tiles pavements, a lot of European cities use them, you get used to it over time but I can understand why someone would hate it haha  :D
Coming over from California where every surface is smooth as hell to a rugged tile pavement in Europe must be somewhat hard to adapt to I imagine. I could only dream having the kind of surfaces Barcelona has though, my city has that horrible grainy irregular shit, halfway between cement and asphalt and it eats through wheels in no time and kills your speed.

roastbeef

• Rep: -47
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2021, 11:20:04 AM »
I literally have like 50 skateparks I can go to within an hours drive.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2021, 01:14:09 PM »
Re: sidewalks.....barcy just uses granite which is next level, but yes, it's Europe, it can be rough too.  Cali uses concrete and it never rains.....so it's some beautiful skatepark type shit.  The light layer of dust makes things feel even smoother....

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2021, 01:19:34 PM »
Boats and hoes!  Also everything else that is in the world, except glaciers and rain forests.  You have to travel to the PNW to get everything

BillTetley

• Rep: 14
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2021, 01:36:35 PM »
When I was in my early teens my mom would send me to live with my aunt in Temecula for the summers, which is about an hour north of San Diego. Everything was like brand new and polished. First thing I thought was crazy is the Skateshop in a strip mall (Active?) that was so nice and new and big and modern. TVHS campus was like a beautifully manicured garden skate park. By contrast when I got back home my 90 year old roach infested middle school was in the process of being condemned.   

Outside Philly the only skateshops were also record stores, or was just the corner of an Army Navy Store or maybe at an indoor skatepark (and those never seemed to have anyone working in them). The lack of Punk Rock type elements was weird to me, the only skateboarders/shops I knew of always had a heavy Youth Crew 90's Hardcore Punk guys running the place. Out west it felt so mainstream and established and accepted.

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2021, 02:10:21 PM »
Fuck LA forever
Where on the map did Los Angeles touch you poosey?
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2021, 02:12:31 PM »
When I was in my early teens my mom would send me to live with my aunt in Temecula for the summers, which is about an hour north of San Diego. Everything was like brand new and polished. First thing I thought was crazy is the Skateshop in a strip mall (Active?) that was so nice and new and big and modern. TVHS campus was like a beautifully manicured garden skate park. By contrast when I got back home my 90 year old roach infested middle school was in the process of being condemned.   

Outside Philly the only skateshops were also record stores, or was just the corner of an Army Navy Store or maybe at an indoor skatepark (and those never seemed to have anyone working in them). The lack of Punk Rock type elements was weird to me, the only skateboarders/shops I knew of always had a heavy Youth Crew 90's Hardcore Punk guys running the place. Out west it felt so mainstream and established and accepted.

Shout out Temecula! I've spent a lot of time out there growing up because of family who lives out there. That active is still there, plenty of cool spots in Temecula too, it's just hot as fuck. Hopefully they get a new skatepark although it seems unlikely with the three they just built in Lake elsinore, pala and the Fallbrook park incoming. Ronald Reagan park is extremely cursed

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2021, 02:13:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Fuck LA forever
[close]
Where on the map did Los Angeles touch you poosey?

Just a life long San Diegan son. Don't dig the vibes, don't dig the city, and fuck the Lakers and Dodgers.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2021, 03:28:44 PM »
reason #8,406 why i will never be popular here

I love California

I can’t stand NY/NJ, I hate 90’s rap, people who say ‘nahmean’ etc, etc

oh, and Pops’ part in Fully Flared sucks too. Give me a Cali handrail part over that any day

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2021, 04:06:52 PM »
reason #8,406 why i will never be popular here

I love California

I can’t stand NY/NJ, I hate 90’s rap, people who say ‘nahmean’ etc, etc

oh, and Pops’ part in Fully Flared sucks too. Give me a Cali handrail part over that any day

I like you, you can fuck my sister

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2021, 04:22:15 PM »
...where Picnic tables and fire hydrants don't go past your knees....

BugleBites

« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2021, 04:24:50 PM »
It's raining so much in Vancouver right now, I want to punch the weather. Haha. God I miss Oceanside. I'd probably be getting back from a mid day session about now, maybe grabbing tacos from Primo off coast hwy, or getting the massive chicken tenders plate from Angelo's, or maybe heading inland to Habit off the 76. Waaaaaaaaaa! Lol.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 05:16:07 PM by BugleBites »

BugleBites

« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2021, 04:25:54 PM »
...where Picnic tables and fire hydrants don't go past your knees....

Vista is land of the bump over hydrants. I was so hyped to skate all the infamous ones from Hokus Pokus etc.

BillTetley

• Rep: 14
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2021, 05:11:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Shout out Temecula! I've spent a lot of time out there growing up because of family who lives out there. That active is still there, plenty of cool spots in Temecula too, it's just hot as fuck. Hopefully they get a new skatepark although it seems unlikely with the three they just built in Lake elsinore, pala and the Fallbrook park incoming. Ronald Reagan park is extremely cursed

That park is so bad!

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2021, 05:53:30 PM »
It's raining so much in Vancouver right now, I want to punch the weather. Haha. God I miss Oceanside. I'd probably be getting back from a mid day session about now, maybe grabbing tacos from Primo off coast hwy, or getting the massive chicken tenders plate from Angelo's, or maybe heading inland to Habit off the 76. Waaaaaaaaaa! Lol.

Primos is the best cheap taco spot