Author Topic: being injured  (Read 437 times)

billy_pilgrimspecker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
  • "You never know who’ll get one"
being injured
« on: October 15, 2021, 11:04:05 PM »
What do you do when you're injured? I broke my collarbone in July and just using my arm for balance has been impossible until recently. It was bad enough to need surgery--bolts, a metal plate, and some kind of tensioner cable holding it all together. Sneezing is the fucking worst; it hurts like hell every time and now I yell when I sneeze which only psychopaths do. I'm finally to the point where I can push around, but I hurt it today just doing kickflips and heelflips here in my basement office. It was easier when I was in a sling and nowhere near able to skate, but now that it's getting better it's driving me crazy. Sometimes I watch clips and parts, the Nine Club, or read Thrasher on the potty, but sometimes I don't want to think about skating because it just bums me out that I can't get back out there yet. My four-year-old takes turns with his Tech Deck with me, and that's fun, but really nothing helps. I think I'm just going to be grinding my teeth until I can skate again. I've done some good reading during my off time, put in extra time at work to bank some skating hours for when it's healed, tried to exercise enough to be in skating shape (I'm 37 so I have to do a little maintenance no matter what to stay in skating condition), smoke weed on and off, and have done a lot of hiking and camping the past month or so, but this sucks. Skating keeps my life in balance like nothing else. A few days ago, my 12-year-old dog died and I said fuck it and pushed down the road and back for an hour to get my mind right, avoiding walnuts on the asphalt in the dark and somehow not crashing. How do you all cope when you're on the mend for months? Thanks for reading my rant. 

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: being injured
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 09:56:06 PM »
Definitely making sure I didn't end up a blob when injured was high on the list, but having ankle injuries is different to collar bones.

Is it your primary activity arm or the other one?

Did you have to learn to wipe your bum and other things switch?

I guess being as active as you can while still not overdoing it, but also not getting back out there too soon and causing secondary issues is a must.

Besides reading, writing or even typing (either hand will do) can be good, getting some thoughts down, or spending time on here or other places too.

I also totally get what you are saying with skating, as sometimes the urge to skate gets too much, especially watching so many videos, or going through all the old mags, skate stuff, etc.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

billy_pilgrimspecker

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 10:18:32 PM »
I was lucky that it was my left arm, and I'm right-handed with most things. I play guitar and throw better left-handed, but guitar takes both hands of course and I've been able to play again the past two weeks. I suppose nothing's stopping me from learning butt-wiping switch, already got left-handed tooth-brushing down from a previous shoulder injury (used to do jiu-jitsu/mma and both my shoulders are in bad shape). Right now I'm working on my daughter's first complete for her third birthday in a month, painting the griptape with acrylic markers, and am really enjoying that. I got her a Globe 6.5" deck with Ace 00 trucks and Slime Balls. It's turning into a very cute skateboard. She's just got to the point where she'll stand on my board and roll across the room without holding my hand and she's very proud of herself--I'm really stoked to see her reaction when she opens it on her b-day. I'm entering my skate-dad years gracefully... 

billy_pilgrimspecker

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 11:37:17 PM »
Definitely making sure I didn't end up a blob when injured was high on the list, but having ankle injuries is different to collar bones.

Is it your primary activity arm or the other one?

Did you have to learn to wipe your bum and other things switch?

I guess being as active as you can while still not overdoing it, but also not getting back out there too soon and causing secondary issues is a must.

Besides reading, writing or even typing (either hand will do) can be good, getting some thoughts down, or spending time on here or other places too.

I also totally get what you are saying with skating, as sometimes the urge to skate gets too much, especially watching so many videos, or going through all the old mags, skate stuff, etc.

By the way, I hope your ankle is better now. Based on my experience, the best advice I can give is to give your body the sleep it needs. I used to think I could tough it out on 4-5 hours a night and it caught up with me eventually--seemed like my body gave up trying to heal anything until I yielded to its demand for more sleepy time.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 12:28:14 AM »
this last ligament injury in the ankle had me out January-April/May. No skating, running, cycling, hiking, etc. I started spending more time reading books about taking care of myself. Ended up losing a 30lbs... I made sure to stretch/strengthen The whole right leg, ankle, hip so that I wouldn't be a mess when I came back. I really followed and built on the PT regimen. I listened to a lot of music, got a lot of fresh air, and for the first few months, got stoned, A LOT.

the most helpful thing though, and it didn't seem like it all the time, but the meditation practice really went a long ways at keeping me sane. it's a cumulative effect
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 01:32:03 AM »
You gotta work on the parts of yourself that are still functional, which is a lot. The day will come for all of us when we can't roll around any longer so any time off the board is an opportunity to learn new skills and develop or enhance other interests. I've been out since last September, firstly with a broken wrist and then some disc issues. In this time i've focused on music, learnt how to use editing programs, and got back into writing. I also started growing some flowers and vegetables. Do what you can physically to maintain some strength or cardio and the time off will be over before you know it.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 01:44:42 AM »
If it's just about using up all the weird bits of time in a day i just put some more effort into the little things.
If it's within reason walk kids to school instead of driving. Walk to the shops. Put more time into preparing and cooking meals. Clean/organise your house

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 03:42:29 AM »

By the way, I hope your ankle is better now. Based on my experience, the best advice I can give is to give your body the sleep it needs. I used to think I could tough it out on 4-5 hours a night and it caught up with me eventually--seemed like my body gave up trying to heal anything until I yielded to its demand for more sleepy time.

Ha yeah thanks!

It was never a really serious injury even though I had plaster on a number of occasions for things like broken arm, wrist, hand and ankles - one to the left ankle (as pictured) and two to the right over the course of five or so years from the mid 80s to the early 90s, when I was young and dumb.  Everything else hurts a little more now including the ankles, but thankfully nothing that has put me out for a long time though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiQok9dFdUa/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.