Author Topic: Tampa Pro 2021  (Read 22443 times)

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
Re: Tampa Pro 2021
« Reply #210 on: October 18, 2021, 06:01:17 AM »
My lady said verbatim skategoat looks like fan in a contest of actual pros.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1960
« Reply #211 on: October 18, 2021, 06:07:50 AM »
I've posted this a million times and I don't care, but seeing Dennis' winning run in person was by and large the most incredible skateboarding I have ever witnessed. Video doesn't do that guy justice and that's a tall statement cuz his footage is great.

I'm happy Shane won. He did ridiculously hard tricks with great execution which is what he does. Dennis' skating is more par to my personal taste but not every skater can be Dennis. Shane did great, plus at the end it was him or a Cariuma shill.

Chatbot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
« Reply #212 on: October 18, 2021, 06:09:29 AM »
Tampa being one of the most well known skate contests, why don't more companies try and help out? Throw some fucking banners up and add some cash towards the prizes. It's a shame that every year it seems like there's less and less. The walls were littered with Cariuma and Monster, with some additional NHS brands sprinkled in.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1384
« Reply #213 on: October 18, 2021, 06:16:04 AM »
Never cared about Berra before he was just another old pro that happened to have a corny over waxed park. But after seeing him come after a kid less than half his age fuck that dude to whatever weird hell those Scientologist fucks believe in. I can’t believe people are butthurt about this poster shit.
Remember that time Paul pierce got stabbed and Nieratko went to the Nets game with a poster that said “would someone please stab Paul pierce” and he was in like the 3rd row? Fuck how many NFL games have people dressed like fucking morons with all sorts of stupid posters. I’m not sure what’s going on with skateboarding but clearly it isn’t as badass and cool as it used to be.

Nieratko is fucking scum and should not be used as a positive example of skateboarding being "badass and cool"

That Busenitz run is one of the greatest things ever. Every trick is flawless. My personal favorite is his nosegrind over the rainbow ledge

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
« Reply #214 on: October 18, 2021, 06:18:55 AM »
Tampa being one of the most well known skate contests, why don't more companies try and help out? Throw some fucking banners up and add some cash towards the prizes. It's a shame that every year it seems like there's less and less. The walls were littered with Cariuma and Monster, with some additional NHS brands sprinkled in.

Anyone know how much each place got? I think they said someone got like three grand for fourth place. I assume most people payed way more than that just to get there.
I think sls used to pay five grand just for pros to show up.

Ole dirty hamster

• Rep: 1
« Reply #215 on: October 18, 2021, 06:19:58 AM »
Shane's rad, but he is clearly lacking the tranny skills of DB. He has to kind of stop and start as opposed to pedal to the medal...still, the difficulty of his flip in flip pit made up for it...his styles not bad either, like a next gen kalis

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #216 on: October 18, 2021, 06:35:32 AM »
Huh.. with that context I'm kinda with Berra on this one. Dude seems like he was just trying to be an asshole for attention. 🤷🏻‍♂️
You must not remember the video where Borra went around the Borrics having each person say nasty things about some Canadian kid that won a competition in which the prize was a book but he never received the book and requested it in a separate video so Borra put him on blast and then burnt the book on camera just to flex.

If someone can find that video that would be great

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
« Reply #217 on: October 18, 2021, 06:37:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Anyone know how much each place got? I think they said someone got like three grand for fourth place. I assume most people payed way more than that just to get there.
I think sls used to pay five grand just for pros to show up.

https://skateparkoftampa.com/spot/tampapro.aspx Most sponsors provide travel to the contest.

I always thought Tampa Pro was like CPH Pro, where the big draw is partying for the entire weekend and not so much the purse.

Salmon Agah

« Reply #218 on: October 18, 2021, 06:46:16 AM »
They've been using the same barge rail on the main box at Tampa for all of Jamie Foy's life.

I think he's gotten a little comfortable doing some grinds on it.

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #219 on: October 18, 2021, 06:51:48 AM »
I walk away from this with one question.   Who is the dork in the Mobb Deep shirt that was attached to Berra's hip?

IpathCats

« Reply #220 on: October 18, 2021, 06:56:42 AM »
I think my biggest take away from the weekend is how much I've slept on Jack Olson. Dude rips.

Anti waxxer

• Rep: -19
« Reply #221 on: October 18, 2021, 07:01:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Never cared about Berra before he was just another old pro that happened to have a corny over waxed park. But after seeing him come after a kid less than half his age fuck that dude to whatever weird hell those Scientologist fucks believe in. I can’t believe people are butthurt about this poster shit.
Remember that time Paul pierce got stabbed and Nieratko went to the Nets game with a poster that said “would someone please stab Paul pierce” and he was in like the 3rd row? Fuck how many NFL games have people dressed like fucking morons with all sorts of stupid posters. I’m not sure what’s going on with skateboarding but clearly it isn’t as badass and cool as it used to be.

[close]

Nieratko is fucking scum and should not be used as a positive example of skateboarding being "badass and cool"

That Busenitz run is one of the greatest things ever. Every trick is flawless. My personal favorite is his nosegrind over the rainbow ledge

My point was that people have been saying it’s inappropriate for the guy to make a poster of jager cause “it’s a world class skate event and it’s childish to do and distracting and mean” meanwhile you can literally make signs saying you hope people get stabbed in other sports and no one gives a shit. That’s what I was saying. But damn tell us more about how Nieratko didn’t give you some free stickers at Nj back in the day.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #222 on: October 18, 2021, 07:04:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

My point was that people have been saying it’s inappropriate for the guy to make a poster of jager cause “it’s a world class skate event and it’s childish to do and distracting and mean” meanwhile you can literally make signs saying you hope people get stabbed in other sports and no one gives a shit. That’s what I was saying. But damn tell us more about how Nieratko didn’t give you some free stickers at Nj back in the day.

I agree that the Berriuma crew is overreacting but comparing this to Nieratko's super tasteless joke is not doing your argument any favors.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #223 on: October 18, 2021, 07:13:47 AM »
I've posted this a million times and I don't care, but seeing Dennis' winning run in person was by and large the most incredible skateboarding I have ever witnessed. Video doesn't do that guy justice and that's a tall statement cuz his footage is great.

Jealous.  I bet that was amazing.

Japanese kid should have won, btw.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

thunder146

• Rep: -1
« Reply #224 on: October 18, 2021, 07:18:38 AM »
Just watched. The overall level was nuts, there were like 10 runs that could have been the winning one.

All things considered, I was happy Shane won because he managed to stem the swelling Cariuma shittide. Someone had to do it.

Would have hoped for Dairi to win but he'll probably get it in the future, that was some of the best skating I've seen at a contest and there seems to be no limit to what he can do. The casual tricks at the end of his runs were nuts. Does he skate street?

Rabelo had incredible runs, not sure why he didn't make the podium.

Finally, every single time I see Jagger Eaton I wonder: how can you be so good and so completely shitty at the same time? The guy's a redbull-fuelled koan.
Jagger comes off as someone who genuinely looked up to Ryan sheckler as a young kid.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 105
« Reply #225 on: October 18, 2021, 07:20:02 AM »

You want the walls to look like this again? Then we as skateboarders collectively need to support core brands again. We all let the big sports brands in, the only way to change it is put your money where your mouth is and spend it on core brands again. As long as the money/ad revenue keeps pouring in on them the more they'll be sticking around.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 708
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #226 on: October 18, 2021, 07:30:54 AM »
brian schaefer seems like a kook, cant stand how he always screams FUCK YEAH at the end all the time whne i am trying to watch this shit with my kids. no wonder dude is still single smh zero common sense it seems.

yeah and berra giving middle finger was wack too again im tryin to watch tthis shit with my kids, wtf are you doing you fucking SCIENTOLOGIST PRICK

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 635
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #227 on: October 18, 2021, 07:36:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Huh.. with that context I'm kinda with Berra on this one. Dude seems like he was just trying to be an asshole for attention. 🤷🏻‍♂️
[close]
You must not remember the video where Borra went around the Borrics having each person say nasty things about some Canadian kid that won a competition in which the prize was a book but he never received the book and requested it in a separate video so Borra put him on blast and then burnt the book on camera just to flex.

If someone can find that video that would be great

I remember seeing that video and being stunned, like what the fuck?!! I did some digging and couldn’t find the video anywhere. It was posted in 2008 on this page but oddly the video has gone missing
https://theberrics.com/two-thank-yous-and-an-apology
ableSkateMag.com

theoriginalgoon

• Rep: -69
  • eight equals d
« Reply #228 on: October 18, 2021, 07:37:34 AM »
that moment when brian threw the prize money from the briefcase was hilarious. cookie was like wtf dood
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 08:05:44 AM by theoriginalgoon »
Me: I found skate Jesus.

Slap: Yeah, well maybe if he does the crucifix switch I will believe it.

WarmUpZone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #229 on: October 18, 2021, 07:53:12 AM »
Tampa is always a lot of fun. After last year's event with Evan Smith covered in paint and Manch interfering in runs, this year's crowd seemed pretty subdued.

By far the best part of the Tampa live stream is that the crowd is right there on the course, so you can see who is just chilling and other weirdos in the mix. Aside from the Berra-Jagger poster fiasco (which is an all time highlight), here are a few observations:

Joslin looking all out of shape and depressed in the background all day in qualifiers. Obviously his skating was still top notch, though:

Most disgusting beardo (and there were a lot of options) goes to this guy:

Demon in the mix:

Gotta respect this dude for rocking the pink Curves hat:
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1384
« Reply #230 on: October 18, 2021, 08:09:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You want the walls to look like this again? Then we as skateboarders collectively need to support core brands again. We all let the big sports brands in, the only way to change it is put your money where your mouth is and spend it on core brands again. As long as the money/ad revenue keeps pouring in on them the more they'll be sticking around.

As a kid i used to sticker slap my tech deck ramps to try and emulate how SPoT looked during Tampa pro and am.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm from California dude. I've only observed nieratko from a distance but it's pretty obvious he sucks. Also didn't nieratko get banned from nets games for life for that shit? So your argument that it was fine back then doesn't even make sense

donkey

• Rep: -67
  • donk
« Reply #231 on: October 18, 2021, 08:15:35 AM »
What even is Tampa Pro these days ?

Cariumas everywhere, even on Vallely’s chest fronting a punk band.
Antivax and conspiracy blockheads in the judging and cosmetic department

Oh man
so true, this shit is so bogus but hilarious to watch.

btw does anyone have any inside scoop about steve at this shit? tristan mershon posted a clip on his story of steve like yelling (?) at some other dude but i couldn't really quite make out what was going on

EDIT: NVM i found it
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 08:49:34 AM by donkey »

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #232 on: October 18, 2021, 08:19:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah man it's a shame everyone is buying the big sport brand decks, trucks, wheels, griptape and bearings. Otherwise they could keep hanging their banners up like this picture.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #233 on: October 18, 2021, 08:22:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Wonder what tunes Jagger bumping during his run?
[close]

Thank you for the coffee I just spewed through my nose.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #234 on: October 18, 2021, 08:30:33 AM »
brian schaefer seems like a kook, cant stand how he always screams FUCK YEAH at the end all the time whne i am trying to watch this shit with my kids. no wonder dude is still single smh zero common sense it seems.

yeah and berra giving middle finger was wack too again im tryin to watch tthis shit with my kids, wtf are you doing you fucking SCIENTOLOGIST PRICK
How dare skateboarders use inappropriate language!

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #235 on: October 18, 2021, 08:30:51 AM »
Expand Quote
I wanna talk to this dude

[close]

@EmericaTM - is that who I think it is?  ;)
That’s my cool uncle that taught me how to smoke and gave me my first beer at the age of 5.  Fun fact he wore those same shades when he married my sister

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 354
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #236 on: October 18, 2021, 09:02:55 AM »
i like that they said "fuck it, none of its in focus" this year. makes it more fun, especially considering they clearing said fuck it to a tripod too

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Anti waxxer

• Rep: -19
« Reply #237 on: October 18, 2021, 09:08:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

As a kid i used to sticker slap my tech deck ramps to try and emulate how SPoT looked during Tampa pro and am.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm from California dude. I've only observed nieratko from a distance but it's pretty obvious he sucks. Also didn't nieratko get banned from nets games for life for that shit? So your argument that it was fine back then doesn't even make sense

No idea if he did or didn’t but if he did that’s a good thing, like getting banned from the berrics for life. Also fuck the nets for moving to nyc. All Jersey has left now is the devils. (Even though both NY football teams are located in Jersey)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
« Reply #238 on: October 18, 2021, 09:09:00 AM »
You want the walls to look like this again?

[preachy bit]

Yeah, it would be sick if Tampa looked like this again
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #239 on: October 18, 2021, 09:14:30 AM »
Honestly astonished they gave up Nike money for Cariuma (or maybe there's more to it.)

Borra freakout is an instant classic. Truly hope it carries on.