Author Topic: Tampa Pro 2021  (Read 21647 times)

zahed

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -25
Re: Tampa Pro 2021
« Reply #240 on: October 18, 2021, 09:14:42 AM »
Cookie SOTY

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #241 on: October 18, 2021, 09:19:07 AM »
The first kickflip of that Busenitz run is like when you put on a record and within the first chord/first bar coming in you know "this shit is going to be good".

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2191
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #242 on: October 18, 2021, 09:20:54 AM »
Honestly astonished they gave up Nike money for Cariuma (or maybe there's more to it.)

Borra freakout is an instant classic. Truly hope it carries on.
Possible Nike didn’t sign on to sponsor this year, as part of the whole “Nike cutting their skate program” line of speculation that’s been making the rounds on SLAP for some while now?
Just so happens there’s some eager, new hot steppers from Brazil/Xenu that are very excited about any opportunity to be taken seriously by skaters, and are happy to open the CoS coffers to achieve that result.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

lucascbn

• Rep: 21
  • #maconha
« Reply #243 on: October 18, 2021, 09:23:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Tampa being one of the most well known skate contests, why don't more companies try and help out? Throw some fucking banners up and add some cash towards the prizes. It's a shame that every year it seems like there's less and less. The walls were littered with Cariuma and Monster, with some additional NHS brands sprinkled in.
[close]

You want the walls to look like this again? Then we as skateboarders collectively need to support core brands again. We all let the big sports brands in, the only way to change it is put your money where your mouth is and spend it on core brands again. As long as the money/ad revenue keeps pouring in on them the more they'll be sticking around.

TBH I kinda do haha

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #244 on: October 18, 2021, 09:23:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Honestly astonished they gave up Nike money for Cariuma (or maybe there's more to it.)

Borra freakout is an instant classic. Truly hope it carries on.
[close]
Possible Nike didn’t sign on to sponsor this year, as part of the whole “Nike cutting their skate program” line of speculation that’s been making the rounds on SLAP for some while now?

Yeah it's gonna be done in June 2021.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #245 on: October 18, 2021, 09:33:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Tampa being one of the most well known skate contests, why don't more companies try and help out? Throw some fucking banners up and add some cash towards the prizes. It's a shame that every year it seems like there's less and less. The walls were littered with Cariuma and Monster, with some additional NHS brands sprinkled in.
[close]

You want the walls to look like this again? Then we as skateboarders collectively need to support core brands again. We all let the big sports brands in, the only way to change it is put your money where your mouth is and spend it on core brands again. As long as the money/ad revenue keeps pouring in on them the more they'll be sticking around.

99 percent hardgoods stickers in that picture

(an I know big shoe buys "all" the addspace, leaves none for other brands, just wanted to point it out)

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #246 on: October 18, 2021, 09:37:25 AM »
Expand Quote
brian schaefer seems like a kook, cant stand how he always screams FUCK YEAH at the end all the time whne i am trying to watch this shit with my kids. no wonder dude is still single smh zero common sense it seems.

yeah and berra giving middle finger was wack too again im tryin to watch tthis shit with my kids, wtf are you doing you fucking SCIENTOLOGIST PRICK
[close]
How dare skateboarders use inappropriate language!

ez to clown me on that but maybe if you have kids some day you will relate

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #247 on: October 18, 2021, 09:38:10 AM »
Expand Quote
You want the walls to look like this again?

[preachy bit]

[close]

Yeah, it would be sick if Tampa looked like this again

I think some of you are confused by the tone of his post. He is HYPED when the walls looked like this, not bummed on it.

I_Respect_Wood

• Rep: 11
    • HH avatar image
« Reply #248 on: October 18, 2021, 09:45:05 AM »
I've posted this a million times and I don't care, but seeing Dennis' winning run in person was by and large the most incredible skateboarding I have ever witnessed. Video doesn't do that guy justice and that's a tall statement cuz his footage is great.

I'm happy Shane won. He did ridiculously hard tricks with great execution which is what he does. Dennis' skating is more par to my personal taste but not every skater can be Dennis. Shane did great, plus at the end it was him or a Cariuma shill.

I'm jelous man, that run and mind field are one of those things that I most rewatch every other month.

If I wasnt me, I never hang out with me...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/new-york-supreme-ben-kadow-qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T">via GIPHY</a></p>

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1210
« Reply #249 on: October 18, 2021, 09:49:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You want the walls to look like this again?

[preachy bit]

[close]

Yeah, it would be sick if Tampa looked like this again
[close]

I think some of you are confused by the tone of his post. He is HYPED when the walls looked like this, not bummed on it.

Nah, I got it.  Don’t worry about me.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1439
« Reply #250 on: October 18, 2021, 09:55:58 AM »
Also very jealous that @pizzafliptofakie  got to witness the Dennis run irl.

TheFandangler

• Rep: 14
« Reply #251 on: October 18, 2021, 09:57:22 AM »
I didn’t read the whole thread so maybe someone already did, but is no one gonna comment on Borra’s pants? They look like kids sweats from the 80s and he just cut off the elastic cuff at the bottom.

I_Respect_Wood

• HH avatar image
« Reply #252 on: October 18, 2021, 10:01:10 AM »
Also the that borra reaction and the challenge the secret tape made, will be the highlight for sure.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/new-york-supreme-ben-kadow-qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T">via GIPHY</a></p>

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #253 on: October 18, 2021, 10:01:19 AM »
I didn’t read the whole thread so maybe someone already did, but is no one gonna comment on Borra’s pants? They look like kids sweats from the 80s and he just cut off the elastic cuff at the bottom.

Steve's sponced by Mamapants.   Big mama division.

I_Respect_Wood

• HH avatar image
« Reply #254 on: October 18, 2021, 10:02:06 AM »

This and the SawCon reply...

TheFandangler

• Rep: 14
« Reply #255 on: October 18, 2021, 10:08:52 AM »
That course was seriously the most boring Tampa Pro course I can remember. The back smiths over the flat bar were so tedious. Everyone did them in their run and I don’t know why one of them didn’t stop to think “hey, the last 10 dudes all did back smith, maybe I’ll do a crook or feeble or something different as I cross the course.” It basically became an axle stall of a contest trick. Everyone did it, and it was mostly just a means of getting back to the other side while still doing a trick. Which leads us back to how boring the course was. Most difficult tricks on that section were all going one way, very little incentive or reason to skate it the other way.

They need to go back to the courses like the one Busenitz won on. It kinda felt like the olympics where most skaters identified one area to score from and that’s where most of the shit went down. Yawn.

I get the idea behind the no live scoring, but it kind of made it boring to watch. When you don’t know who’s in the lead, how are we as the viewer (and the skaters) supposed to know how to rate each run. You kind of need the benchmarks. Again, I get it though. Good try, but maybe not a success

TrainWreck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
« Reply #256 on: October 18, 2021, 10:10:04 AM »
props to everyone who was involved in the removing of the stickers ... thanks!

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #257 on: October 18, 2021, 10:16:22 AM »

I got their relatively early that day to secure a good spot and to watch the warm ups, and even early in the morning Dennis was absolutely ripping the park. All day he was so consistent and precise, yet spontaneous and of course, very fucking fast.

The room was absolutely electric after his winning run too. Kind of an indescribable vibe. Felt like the whole contest was decided in unison at that moment. 

warmonke

• Rep: 43
« Reply #258 on: October 18, 2021, 10:19:12 AM »
Also the that borra reaction and the challenge the secret tape made, will be the highlight for sure.

If I got a quid for every time Borra's called someone mean since Tampa Pro started I'd be able to take his Mum out for a seafood dinner and never call her again

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #259 on: October 18, 2021, 10:22:44 AM »
That course was seriously the most boring Tampa Pro course I can remember. The back smiths over the flat bar were so tedious. Everyone did them in their run and I don’t know why one of them didn’t stop to think “hey, the last 10 dudes all did back smith, maybe I’ll do a crook or feeble or something different as I cross the course.” It basically became an axle stall of a contest trick. Everyone did it, and it was mostly just a means of getting back to the other side while still doing a trick. Which leads us back to how boring the course was. Most difficult tricks on that section were all going one way, very little incentive or reason to skate it the other way.

They need to go back to the courses like the one Busenitz won on. It kinda felt like the olympics where most skaters identified one area to score from and that’s where most of the shit went down. Yawn.

I get the idea behind the no live scoring, but it kind of made it boring to watch. When you don’t know who’s in the lead, how are we as the viewer (and the skaters) supposed to know how to rate each run. You kind of need the benchmarks. Again, I get it though. Good try, but maybe not a success

i felt like the course allowed for more tricks to be landed. not saying that made it more exciting, I just felt like for once everyone was able to actually put together a run of all landed tricks. usually only like 2 or 3 people seem to manage to be able to do that.

i felt like the whole not revealing the scoring didnt really add anything

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #260 on: October 18, 2021, 10:24:57 AM »
That photo is funny!!! Those cariuma guys are literally the worst. Imagine haslam or spanky getting mad at that type of photo about them???

I feel like 15 years ago, if someone did that everyone would’ve laughed u wouldn’t be kicked out and lectured by Steve berra. If I see anyone wearing cariuma I’m going to assume you’re incapable of thinking for yourself and are brainwashed by social media

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #261 on: October 18, 2021, 10:25:19 AM »
Tampa feels more Berrics than Copenhagen at this point. Incredible skating no doubt. But no longer fomo inducing the way it used to be and Dime/Copenhagen still is.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #262 on: October 18, 2021, 10:26:06 AM »
Imagine thinking you can be rude to a company. Borra is so bitchmade. I hope he fucking pops in here to scold us like he did in the skatemama thread

Also @pizzafliptofakie i can't even what the vibe would be like in that room. Wish i could have been there or for vovs gold medal run where hawk, sal and Miller all collectively blew a load through their jeans in the booth

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #263 on: October 18, 2021, 10:32:11 AM »
Also love how in that Instagram post steve straight patriotizes the kid with “jagger Eaton is an Olympic medalist” like that’s an actual accomplishment for skateboarding or like the Olympics actually evolved or changed skating in some drastic way.

If I had a time machine I would go back to say Tampa 1999 and show everyone this years Tampa and explain the direction their lives would go just to see julien strangers face

Merman

• Rep: -40
« Reply #264 on: October 18, 2021, 10:33:30 AM »
Expand Quote
why the fuck did Kairi Netsuke place only seventh? kid fucking killed it.
[close]
I hate watching contest skating but I only fuck with Tampa tbh.

Agreed that Netsuke got robbed, as did Rabelo. I enjoyed watching their skating more than the top 3 lol. Never even watched any of them before this Tampa pro. Netsuke was doing heel gap back lip on the pyramid + perfect front crook variations & Rabelo was doin crazy alley oop shit.

Completely agree about Netsuke. Can't remember seeing such an obvious robbery at Tampa Pro. Pretty sad. Should've at least gotten second place. All respect to Kelvin, but his cookie cutter run was equal parts boring and predictable, and certainly not as difficult or packed as Netsuke's best run.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #265 on: October 18, 2021, 10:38:14 AM »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #266 on: October 18, 2021, 10:40:07 AM »
Never should have axed the Moat Race.

I was there for the BoozenTitz run, as well, but had the misfortune of watching on a screen in the courtyard. The noise from inside was deafening. Classic case of choosing free beer over witnessing history.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #267 on: October 18, 2021, 10:41:59 AM »

The clip that keeps on giving. Berra straight up grovels for a lil smooch, doesn't get it and is immediately compromised to the eternal friendzone

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #268 on: October 18, 2021, 10:44:03 AM »
I'm sorry guys I think my tone got lost in internet translation. I would fucking love if SPOT was still looking like that all tagged up with Skate brands. I long for the days of core brands having the stronghold on the skate industry again. But that's just me stuck in nostalgia, I understand things change but it's always sad to see what was and what can still be.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

OldSkater

• Rep: -49
« Reply #269 on: October 18, 2021, 10:44:43 AM »
Young person from Japan going to win

lol this aged well