Author Topic: Things That Are Specific to Skating in California  (Read 5362 times)

BugleBites

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -68
Re: Things That Are Specific to Skating in California
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2021, 05:57:17 PM »
Expand Quote
It's raining so much in Vancouver right now, I want to punch the weather. Haha. God I miss Oceanside. I'd probably be getting back from a mid day session about now, maybe grabbing tacos from Primo off coast hwy, or getting the massive chicken tenders plate from Angelo's, or maybe heading inland to Habit off the 76. Waaaaaaaaaa! Lol.
[close]

Primos is the best cheap taco spot

*Limit 1000 tacos per order. Haha. I like to daydream about how they came to that number ...

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2021, 06:24:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It's raining so much in Vancouver right now, I want to punch the weather. Haha. God I miss Oceanside. I'd probably be getting back from a mid day session about now, maybe grabbing tacos from Primo off coast hwy, or getting the massive chicken tenders plate from Angelo's, or maybe heading inland to Habit off the 76. Waaaaaaaaaa! Lol.
[close]

Primos is the best cheap taco spot
[close]

*Limit 1000 tacos per order. Haha. I like to daydream about how they came to that number ...

South O wanted to party homes

GollyIamGully

• Rep: -8
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2021, 08:37:41 AM »
...where Picnic tables and fire hydrants don't go past your knees....

Handrails seem a lot lower too.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2021, 10:52:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is Califonia just full of little people?

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2021, 11:02:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes. People don't talk about this but Eric Dressen is the tallest man in the state

whorific

• Rep: -169
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2021, 02:10:28 PM »
insane wax usage at skateparks

true bring a comb/scraper the wax levels are whack
" I did not say this I am not here"

warmonke

• Rep: 43
« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2021, 03:56:20 PM »
Being really good at skating and nobody caring

SHEEM

• Rep: 1
« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2021, 05:15:37 PM »
Kinda the opposite of the thread but is skating school yards/school benches purely a cali/west coast thing? Why were Cali school yards so sought after back in the day?
i cant stress how important it is to smoke copious amounts of marjuiwnana at every given oppoutryunity

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 140
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2021, 07:09:53 PM »
Kinda the opposite of the thread but is skating school yards/school benches purely a cali/west coast thing? Why were Cali school yards so sought after back in the day?

I think in AVE’s Loveletters With Jeff Grosso he mentions that one guy designed all the schoolyards for a number of schools in Cali. That’s why they all have those banks by the fences and the benches are all certain dimensions.

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2021, 07:39:09 PM »
I remember seeing one of the California school yards in a mag, maybe tws, and maybe it was "school W"?  and it had banks and a flat bar (this was a long time ago) and I was like, "whaaaaat the heck?  they build the school yards to basically be skateparks?"  And then there was another school yard and another school yard and another, all paved with perfect banks and hips and everything.  Sure seems nice from over here.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2021, 05:33:37 AM »
When I was in my early teens my mom would send me to live with my aunt in Temecula for the summers, which is about an hour north of San Diego. Everything was like brand new and polished. First thing I thought was crazy is the Skateshop in a strip mall (Active?) that was so nice and new and big and modern. TVHS campus was like a beautifully manicured garden skate park. By contrast when I got back home my 90 year old roach infested middle school was in the process of being condemned.   

Outside Philly the only skateshops were also record stores, or was just the corner of an Army Navy Store or maybe at an indoor skatepark (and those never seemed to have anyone working in them). The lack of Punk Rock type elements was weird to me, the only skateboarders/shops I knew of always had a heavy Youth Crew 90's Hardcore Punk guys running the place. Out west it felt so mainstream and established and accepted.
Grew up in the town over (Murrieta) and a trip to skate Temecula was always fun. I ollied the 7 stair at the high school and felt awesome. This was early-90s tho.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2021, 08:53:27 AM »
I stayed in SD for 4 or 5 months back in 94-95 and traveled around California a bit. LA, SF, the big cities. The skate culture was so deep and rich, it was a shock. I mean I grew up in the Paris area, there were practically no skaters left from the 70's generation, so we did not have much in the way of examples. I pushed mongo for over 10 years before I realized it's looked down upon and looks like shit! whereas in SD or SF, it's common to see pros skating, or just real good skaters.
Also, like many have said: perfect PERFECT weather, millions of good spots....and tacos haha yes!!   :P

the negatives: you need a car to get around. In Paris, kind of like NY, we were always just skating from spot to spot and using public transport. And the bust factor. I never once got a fine for skating in France but I actually ended up in cuffs in SD, for skating on the SDSU campus.

and I'll gladly argue Paris sidewalks are way smoother than California sidewalks!

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2021, 09:01:52 AM »
barely any space between the seat and the tabletop. seeing pros everywhere would be kinda annoying

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2021, 09:25:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yes. People don't talk about this but Eric Dressen is the tallest man in the state

I heard he dunked on Shaq.

BillTetley

• Rep: 14
« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2021, 10:28:57 AM »
Expand Quote
When I was in my early teens my mom would send me to live with my aunt in Temecula for the summers, which is about an hour north of San Diego. Everything was like brand new and polished. First thing I thought was crazy is the Skateshop in a strip mall (Active?) that was so nice and new and big and modern. TVHS campus was like a beautifully manicured garden skate park. By contrast when I got back home my 90 year old roach infested middle school was in the process of being condemned.   

Outside Philly the only skateshops were also record stores, or was just the corner of an Army Navy Store or maybe at an indoor skatepark (and those never seemed to have anyone working in them). The lack of Punk Rock type elements was weird to me, the only skateboarders/shops I knew of always had a heavy Youth Crew 90's Hardcore Punk guys running the place. Out west it felt so mainstream and established and accepted.
[close]
Grew up in the town over (Murrieta) and a trip to skate Temecula was always fun. I ollied the 7 stair at the high school and felt awesome. This was early-90s tho.

Ollies are all I could really do, so I totally understand how rad that felt. Logged a few thousand noseslides on a perfect knee high bench near what I believe was the outdoor cafeteria. Eating lunch outside was an insane thought considering 3/4 of my schoolyear back home outside was covered in ice or at least tons of rock salt.

One thing I forgot was how surprised I was that a lot of kids could do a lot of tricks, but couldn't really skate. Back home I knew how to get all over town with the least effort, which side of which block had smoothest ground, which potholes were fun to ollie. 90% of skating back home was just to get to my friends houses and then to the playground to skate the curbs and manual the lines on the basketball court.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2021, 11:32:32 AM »
Expand Quote
It’s not considered weird for an adult to do it.
[close]

I'm in my late 30's & can mention that I skate for fun in job interviews & the interviewers are hyped.

And this is for professional / office setting type career.
For sure. I’ve also noticed doctors don’t really give me a hard time either. Last time I went in for something the doctor was stoked I’m skating

theradone

• Rep: 4
« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2021, 06:47:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
barely any space between the seat and the tabletop. seeing pros everywhere would be kinda annoying

Yeah, it's super weird how all those elementary school tables are so small....it must be some kind of conspiracy.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2021, 08:32:31 PM »
where are the fat kids gonna sit. probably by the vending machines but nah shit just looks wrong