Author Topic: New Laptop Recommendations  (Read 1117 times)

Molte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
Re: New Laptop Recommendations
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2021, 05:24:19 AM »
I've got a great impression of Lenovo's. They seem they sturdy and stable machines. I don't know that much about it though, but in case a lot of other people mention Lenovo's as well..
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2021, 10:15:15 AM »
if you don't want to spend over 1k, but you can or are willing to spend up to 1k, i'd probably get an a gigabyte laptop. it will easily run most games as well on your seperate screen as on its own. the gigabyte laptops also look pretty slick, a bit like lenovo thinkpads with gamerlights, which you can turn off. if i was you and had around 800 i'd look to buy one theirs around that price. like they seem like a great bang for buck option in the medium price range.

if you mainly want to browse the web and maybe do some work with emails and only play 2d retro games, then i'd get a refurbished lenovo thinkpad. just because they are rock solid, can be equipped with a new battery, upgraded with more memory, and so on.

if you hate interacting with hardware and installation programs and don't mind being overcharged for outdated hardware, then you probably need a mac. just know that that will force you to buy a lot of peripherals according to apple standards or at least purchase adapters to make some standard plugs work. also you might have a hard time finding a licensed partner who can service your mac if it is broken and if you let anyone else do anything on it, then that's it. i think some parts are exchangable nowadays, but with macs hardware death is more dangerous since you can replace a lot less parts than in most pc laptops and the whole ecosystem around it makes it also costly to repair. that said they usually run really solid for a good while, even though their hardware is often outdated at release. they still put that hardware well together so that everything interacts really smoothly and for its intended use cases there is little to no bottlenecking with macs.

since your other screen is not exactly big either, i would say don't buy a big ass laptop. stick to 14-15max inch so your screen actually makes a difference. imo big laptop screens are a waste of money and space, but some people need big screens for the sake of their eyes health. if you buy a 17 inch laptop then your 20 inch screen will not look that much bigger in comparison and you will carry more weight with you and it's more expensive. you could have the same components and featureset for cheaper on a smaller rig.

don't go for cheap no name shovelware with questionable heritage. you don't want your place burnt down because the power brick.

Just picked up an old Lenovo Thinkpad T460s and I'm loving it - 14" screen, great keyboard, trackpoint, (weak) GPU, SSD and enough RAM for now. Something to use while I'm chilling on the sofa for Reddit, Slap and some light gaming.

Can't go wrong with the big 3 (Lenovo, Dell, HP) but you may have to put up with garish design choices when venturing down the gaming line. I like what MSI did with their Prestige and Modern line up - mid-tier processor with an APU for some light gaming / graphical work, wrapped in a sleek package without flashing RGB.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2022, 06:08:12 PM »
I miss slap. School started up. I bought a new laptop. What kind of antivirus software do y’all use? 

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2022, 06:20:28 PM »
None. Just uBlock and common sense. Anti-virus software doesn't really do anything imo.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 09:51:39 PM by in love w/ fs shuvs »

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2022, 06:15:55 AM »
I got a MacBook Air like 10 years ago after agonising over windows laptops forever. Best decision I’ve ever made in this department. It just works and even after all those years hasn’t slowed down one bit.