Author Topic: Spot-Sharing Etiquette?  (Read 2228 times)

Sad dad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Spot-Sharing Etiquette?
« on: October 18, 2021, 07:47:36 AM »
I live in a large city and was considering whether it'd be nice to make a zine that offers a map of low impact spots - curbs, little bumps, manual pads, etc., along with some extra helpful info like bust factor/if there's times to avoid, good spots to get food nearby, etc.

While I'd personally love to find a zine and map like this, I was curious whether it'd be poor form to give away spot locations?

One detail that might make a difference - these are not, say, double sets in downtown office buildings where there'd be a lot of conflict with security - I'm talking mellow spots where if people don't trash the place, they should remain skateable for many years.

Anyway, I didn't wanna make a zine in which I'm accidentally being an asshole so I thought I'd check.

theoriginalgoon

• Rep: -63
  • eight equals d
Re: Spot-Sharing Etiquette?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 07:49:44 AM »
nah, just keep it word of mouth. that way you can regulate spots from kooks
Me: I found skate Jesus.

Slap: Yeah, well maybe if he does the crucifix switch I will believe it.

hustleknocker

• Rep: -10
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 07:51:58 AM »
How to blow up a spot speedrun 2021

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 07:52:30 AM »
Word of mouth
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 652
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 07:57:20 AM »
the idea for the zine sounds fire but i wouldnt publish the locations, just leave your instagram or whatever and then if someone wants to skate it they can get in touch with you. that way it also builds you more rapport with your reader cause its a 2 sided communication.

the main reason id say dont publish is it is kinda heat if that gets into the wrong hands, and also if there happened to be a spot that unexpectedly a boatload of people want to skate and you are worried about it getting too blown up, you have more of an opportunity to limit the traffic on it. it is hard to say a spot can be good forever cause you never know if kooks start going there and just partying cause you dont get kicked out might start to heat it out more than just a couple skaters kind of thing.
ONTARIO CANADA

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 08:01:17 AM »
Best bet is a Google map with pins like Quartersnacks does for NYC

cky enthusiast

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 08:06:21 AM »
spot zine is a sick idea. you should do it.

there’s already mad instagrams that post spots in cities and there’s no way something handmade will blow up or kook out a spot quicker than social media already does.

Sad dad

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 08:06:33 AM »
Thanks!

Sad dad

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 08:07:54 AM »
spot zine is a sick idea. you should do it.

there’s already mad instagrams that post spots in cities and there’s no way something handmade will blow up or kook out a spot quicker than social media already does.

That's kinda what I figured - it's out there, I just wanted to put it in a new format. Also any spot lists I see aren't so organized - I have no use for a 12-stair rail - just show me the curbs and sidewalk bumps, maybe a bench.

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 08:18:12 AM »
How do you make one of those that is truly private? I tried importing my iCloud pics of spots (with geotags embedded) into a custom Google Map, but it kept trying to get me to add my photos to Google's Places page or something.

From what I've read if you make a google map, the company stores your photo at X location with all the other ones from that location that have been uploaded to Google, so when people look up that location in google they get pics of it from users who have taken pictures there.

Example: There's a public park in your city called John Doe Park, and there's a sick ledge spot tucked away in the back of the park. You take a pic of the spot with the intention of putting it on your Google spot map. Google wants people to be able to easily see pictures of John Doe Park when they look it up, so Google automatically puts your pic (that you wanted to stay private and just in your circle of friends) with all the other pictures of John Doe park on it's first page of results. Some city employee who works at John Doe park does some googling out of boredom and sees what to them is a "vandalized" ledge in the park that they never noticed previously, or if they did they didn't really think about it. They deem it an eyesore and have a team of employees sandblast the wax off and drill knobs in. A low-key, previously sick spot is now gone.

I don't want people googling the name of their office or whatever and getting a suggested google pic of the skate spot, particularly if the pics are tied to my government name. Seems like the easiest way to get spots shut down, knobbed, etc and myself in potential hot water.

Trying to move my spot map off my iPhone camera roll and onto something more specific, because the pics of spots keep getting clogged with photos and videos from my regular life lol.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 08:41:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
How do you make one of those that is truly private? I tried importing my iCloud pics of spots (with geotags embedded) into a custom Google Map, but it kept trying to get me to add my photos to Google's Places page or something.

From what I've read if you make a google map, the company stores your photo at X location with all the other ones from that location that have been uploaded to Google, so when people look up that location in google they get pics of it from users who have taken pictures there.

Example: There's a public park in your city called John Doe Park, and there's a sick ledge spot tucked away in the back of the park. You take a pic of the spot with the intention of putting it on your Google spot map. Google wants people to be able to easily see pictures of John Doe Park when they look it up, so Google automatically puts your pic (that you wanted to stay private and just in your circle of friends) with all the other pictures of John Doe park on it's first page of results. Some city employee who works at John Doe park does some googling out of boredom and sees what to them is a "vandalized" ledge in the park that they never noticed previously, or if they did they didn't really think about it. They deem it an eyesore and have a team of employees sandblast the wax off and drill knobs in. A low-key, previously sick spot is now gone.

I don't want people googling the name of their office or whatever and getting a suggested google pic of the skate spot, particularly if the pics are tied to my government name. Seems like the easiest way to get spots shut down, knobbed, etc and myself in potential hot water.

Trying to move my spot map off my iPhone camera roll and onto something more specific, because the pics of spots keep getting clogged with photos and videos from my regular life lol.

Within your Google Account when you create a map, you can change the sharing settings. So you can make the map private and if you want you can add other users who can only view/ edit it too. I have a map for the homies but never ran into my photos showing up on the business location so not sure if that is turned on by default. Usually the photos I see from businesses are from Yelp or some other third party site.

somefucker

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2021, 09:44:52 AM »
just go oyola and get the spot demolished after your trick.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2021, 09:51:18 AM »
Whatever you do, don’t tell Elijah Berle about it.  Fuck around and get a bike lock on your shit.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2021, 10:20:26 AM »
I’ve seen people bondo a crack to get their trick, then pull out that bondo with a crowbar to essentially make it less skateable for the next person. Seems pretty lame to me and honestly I’m glad I don’t take skateboarding that seriously

somefucker

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2021, 10:25:39 AM »
I’ve seen people bondo a crack to get their trick, then pull out that bondo with a crowbar to essentially make it less skateable for the next person. Seems pretty lame to me and honestly I’m glad I don’t take skateboarding that seriously virtue signal

baustin

• Rep: 115
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2021, 10:34:58 AM »
Expand Quote
I’ve seen people bondo a crack to get their trick, then pull out that bondo with a crowbar to essentially make it less skateable for the next person. Seems pretty lame to me and honestly I’m glad I don’t take skateboarding that seriously virtue signal
[close]

What’s up Elijah

breezer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2021, 10:40:30 AM »
print and be damned! 

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 760
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2021, 10:55:42 AM »
There was this site ages ago well outdated but whatever:
http://www.skhateyou.com/spots/europe.html

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2021, 10:58:19 AM »
just go oyola and get the spot demolished after your trick.

I just take a shit on the spot to assert dominance. 

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2021, 11:24:11 AM »
I think it’s a bad idea… I like the spirit thing of it but shit could get blown out so quickly if it’s readily available like that.

I dm’d someone asking for a spot I’d seen a lot, and he gave it to me but only in exchange for another spot. Great idea, that’s how it should be done

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2021, 11:50:37 AM »
There is none so i'm happy to give out the few there is so maybe someone would skate them

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2021, 11:51:10 AM »
I'm not sure this is a good idea. Even with all the skate spot map apps (which are also terrible ideas), it is better to keep spots secret.

Spots are a limited resource the more they are used the sooner they are depleted.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

nickpaolucci

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2021, 01:05:41 PM »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2021, 01:44:47 PM »
Depends on where you live I guess but here its 2021 so short of parking garages when it's pouring rain....everyone is just at skateparks anyhow.  There's an argument that sharing spots encourages people to actually street skate which skateboarding needs.......it's pretty hard to keep stuff under wraps anyhow so at that point....just blow it out.

weregoingunion

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2021, 01:56:33 PM »
thread seems like good timing paired along with this new lurker lou/village psychic interview on spot hunting/sharing, feat. some cosme art!

http://www.villagepsychic.net/blog/the-rules-of-skateboarding-18-lurker-lou
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

IpathCats

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2021, 02:18:02 PM »
I don't go offering up spots to people, but if they ask, I usually oblige them unless they're some ultra kook. As someone who does a lot of diy, and lives in an area without many spots, I can say that posting that info or just sharing it indiscriminately, isn't gonna do you any favors.

Side note, recently two of the more established crews up in DC were beefing over spots, shit made me laugh. I have no idea what it was all about, but I just assumed dudes on that level shared spots no problem. Pretty funny they took it to IG like men.

IpathCats

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2021, 02:32:16 PM »
thread seems like good timing paired along with this new lurker lou/village psychic interview on spot hunting/sharing, feat. some cosme art!

http://www.villagepsychic.net/blog/the-rules-of-skateboarding-18-lurker-lou

Ty for this

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 59
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2021, 02:42:11 PM »
Skaters keeping spots “secret” from other skaters is literally people appointing themselves gatekeepers.
I get not wanting kooks to blow out the spot, but at the same time it’s an exclusionary attitude.
We can all sit here and say “yeah but you know what a kook is” but fuck that, some of the most “cool” skaters who aren’t considered kooks because of their skill etc are sometimes more likely to blow up a spot because of their behaviour/ littering / feeling of ownership over something they have no claim to.
Having said all that , I am not encouraging online spot maps etc but if they hadn’t of existed I would not have been aware of how to get to some of the spots on other countries (BCN really).

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2021, 03:05:13 PM »
maybe if you're deeply entrenched in the skate scene, have lived in town for years and years, and you're absolutely positive you aren't about to blow up someone's favorite local chill curb spot

i think the only reason something like quartersnacks works is because it's informed by a pretty intimate knowledge about how "known" a spot is and whether it can be publicized or not

if you have any doubt, or you can't take the heat when someone inevitably gets mad about it, keep the stuff to yourself.

spots are pretty easy to find these days for pretty much anyone willing to use a combo of google, google maps, forums like this, and instagram. i've definitely benefitted from all of these things, and i'm not against sharing some spots by any means. but collating it all together in a zine is one step to far for me personally.

however, you could probably find a middle ground somehow. for example, give some general hints instead of hard locations-- helps to make sure anyone who hunts the place down is a little more committed.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2021, 04:52:46 PM »
How to blow up a spot speedrun 2021
Blindfold or ski mask someone to a spot.
Dueces Bitch's