Author Topic: Why is that Skate Video Named that Name?  (Read 2050 times)

internetname

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 14
Re: Why is that Skate Video Named that Name?
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2021, 05:50:35 AM »
You could say they are self explanatory, but I’m gonna explain some of them anyway.

The Zero videos have mostly had somewhat appropriate and well chosen titles that can be applied to the act of skateboarding or as Meta commentary on the company and it’s video productions themselves.

Thrill of it all, being the first video, is an easy phrase to give to someone when they ask why you like skateboarding and potentially hurting or damaging yourself so much. It’s simple, it’s not too deep and it encapsulates that youthful energy of young ams and pros chasing their personal bests on a board.
Por que?
For the thrill of it all.

Misled Youth, albeit their second video, is similar to the first production’s title in that it poses an easy answer to those questioning why adults would start and stick with what at the time was seen as an outsider hobby+subculture. It’s self aware in terms of how skaters (and moreso professionals / lifers) were viewed at the time by larger mainstream society, and absolutely speaks to the younger skaters looking to these videos for inspiration, stoke and the highest level of (Zero’s particular brand of) skateboarding at the time.

Dying to Live, as melodramatic as you could take it to be, has two meanings for me. It states what the by (now well established) Zero brand of professional skateboarder was doing - slowly killing yourself as a means to make a living.
The other way I always read the title, is similar to their first video’s title; it’s a statement and answer to those looking for reason behind a seemingly self-destructive act: For the utter thrill of it all. Like Joey Ramone saying “I want to live” those featured in the video are just chomping at the bit to live their lives. And it’s skating that makes them “feel alive”.

New Blood is easy; Lopez and other notable names from the previous video had gone on to Mystery.
Hill, Cervantes, Sandoval and Brockman hadn’t been in previous productions. And Cole, well this is the part that showed just how inventive and talented the guy truly is. This was reestablishing Zero as a team of ridiculously talented skaters pushing the envelope of hucking + handrails. The company was spilling the blood of new faces of the brand, while maintaining, furthering and promoting Zero’s identity / branding.

As far as their more recent nomenclature has gone, Zero seems more self aware than ever;
No Cash Value with its messy release (I’m not even sure it was a fully put together cohesive release) came at a time when Zero / Blackbox was facing more difficulty in the market as the landscape of skating shifted in the 2010’s away from handrail, hammers, after black slowmos. After every contribution to our world, did this brand born before the turn of the millennium still have value and worth?

Damn it All is , I think, Jamie et al at their most confident - at least as far as titles are concerned. Which is ironic considering the video and premiere was anything but confidently presented.
It harkens back to the very beginnings of what made Zero recognisable, and what it meant when Zero riders put their skills on display; Gnarly skating, fast editing and man-ams with no regard for their bodies. This was a full length (VX) release of days gone well after the establishment of single parts being the format du jour. Hell, they even had the old “Guess who’s now a pro!?” at the premiere.

Anyway, promo (2006) is the worst name for a video in their catalogue and I have no idea why “Cold War”.

Pretty sure Cold War was because of Dane and Tommy fighting for last part

Ambient Johnny

• Rep: -14
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2021, 06:19:28 AM »
The first Zero video was called "Thrill Of It All", the title of a Black Sabbath song from the album "Sabotage", but the Sabbath song they used in the video intro is "Supertzar" off the same album, yet listed as "Thrill of it all" in the credits... Being a huge Sabbath fan it always rubbed me the wrong way since first seeing the video in 97.

Loady McGee

• Rep: 55
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2021, 06:37:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone have any interesting stories as to why videos were given their names?

The Search for Animal Chin seems pretty straight forward, same with Powell Eight.  But what about Future Primitive, Public Domain, Rubbish Heap, Shackle Me Not, Love Child, Sorry, We Blew It At Some Point, and a ton more?

Pretty Sweet got its name because a Girl is pretty and Chocolate is sweet, right?

Thank you in advance for doing your research and sharing
[close]

Love Child - The cover and its zebra represent the diverse team.   Another genius joke via Rocco.

I remember reading a story about that title and the cover art. It is supposed to be as you say, a representation of the diverse team, but Rocco thought "love child" actually meant "mixed baby". The cover art makes more sense with that in mind.

Gbeerme

• Rep: -4
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2021, 07:02:19 AM »
90’s pre-jackass skateboarding, snowboarding, drunken mischief stunts there were the Whiskey Videos.

As these were Canadian produced I thought the proper name would be Whisky.

The Scottish, Canadians and the Japanese do not use the “e” in their Whisky branding.

Where the Irish and American produced product/branding use the “e”, Whiskey.

Typo for Boozey the clown.

Letsfilmavideo

• Rep: 16
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2021, 07:09:49 AM »
Expand Quote
You could say they are self explanatory, but I’m gonna explain some of them anyway.

The Zero videos have mostly had somewhat appropriate and well chosen titles that can be applied to the act of skateboarding or as Meta commentary on the company and it’s video productions themselves.

Thrill of it all, being the first video, is an easy phrase to give to someone when they ask why you like skateboarding and potentially hurting or damaging yourself so much. It’s simple, it’s not too deep and it encapsulates that youthful energy of young ams and pros chasing their personal bests on a board.
Por que?

Misled Youth, albeit their second video, is similar to the first production’s title in that it poses an easy answer to those questioning why adults would start and stick with what at the time was seen as an outsider hobby+subculture. It’s self aware in terms of how skaters (and moreso professionals / lifers) were viewed at the time by larger mainstream society, and absolutely speaks to the younger skaters looking to these videos for inspiration, stoke and the highest level of (Zero’s particular brand of) skateboarding at the time.

Dying to Live, as melodramatic as you could take it to be, has two meanings for me. It states what the by (now well established) Zero brand of professional skateboarder was doing - slowly killing yourself as a means to make a living.
The other way I always read the title, is similar to their first video’s title; it’s a statement and answer to those looking for reason behind a seemingly self-destructive act: For the utter thrill of it all. Like Joey Ramone saying “I want to live” those featured in the video are just chomping at the bit to live their lives. And it’s skating that makes them “feel alive”.

New Blood is easy; Lopez and other notable names from the previous video had gone on to Mystery.
Hill, Cervantes, Sandoval and Brockman hadn’t been in previous productions. And Cole, well this is the part that showed just how inventive and talented the guy truly is. This was reestablishing Zero as a team of ridiculously talented skaters pushing the envelope of hucking + handrails. The company was spilling the blood of new faces of the brand, while maintaining, furthering and promoting Zero’s identity / branding.

As far as their more recent nomenclature has gone, Zero seems more self aware than ever;
No Cash Value with its messy release (I’m not even sure it was a fully put together cohesive release) came at a time when Zero / Blackbox was facing more difficulty in the market as the landscape of skating shifted in the 2010’s away from handrail, hammers, after black slowmos. After every contribution to our world, did this brand born before the turn of the millennium still have value and worth?

Damn it All is , I think, Jamie et al at their most confident - at least as far as titles are concerned. Which is ironic considering the video and premiere was anything but confidently presented.
It harkens back to the very beginnings of what made Zero recognisable, and what it meant when Zero riders put their skills on display; Gnarly skating, fast editing and man-ams with no regard for their bodies. This was a full length (VX) release of days gone well after the establishment of single parts being the format du jour. Hell, they even had the old “Guess who’s now a pro!?” at the premiere.

Anyway, promo (2006) is the worst name for a video in their catalogue and I have no idea why “Cold War”.
[close]

What about strange world
I always got one of my boys holdin a jar of leak and a fat blunt, so as soon as i land the trick we gettin wet you know?

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 62
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2021, 07:10:28 AM »
The first Zero video was called "Thrill Of It All", the title of a Black Sabbath song from the album "Sabotage", but the Sabbath song they used in the video intro is "Supertzar" off the same album, yet listed as "Thrill of it all" in the credits... Being a huge Sabbath fan it always rubbed me the wrong way since first seeing the video in 97.

That defo passed me by, how interesting.
And re: Cold War ; I kinda hope that it was due to the joslin over last part between the two riders.
There were even two versions I think - premiered with one part last then the actual released vid had the other.

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2021, 07:14:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Por que?

[close]

[close]
What about strange world

Not sure broski, when writing that thesis I couldn’t think of much worth saying for it.

Letsfilmavideo

• Rep: 16
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2021, 07:16:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Por que?

[close]

[close]
What about strange world
[close]

Not sure broski, when writing that thesis I couldn’t think of much worth saying for it.
I’d like to think baby Jamie dosed the chief and he went through some sort of psychedelic phase cause that video is awfully trippy to be a zero video
I always got one of my boys holdin a jar of leak and a fat blunt, so as soon as i land the trick we gettin wet you know?

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2021, 07:49:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Por que?

[close]

[close]
What about strange world
[close]

[close]
I’d like to think baby Jamie dosed the chief and he went through some sort of psychedelic phase cause that video is awfully trippy to be a zero video

This is the most likely explanation. The whole tie -dye visuals was unusual for a Zero release but I liked it and thought it worked well for the team at the time.

SHEEM

• Rep: 1
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2021, 11:41:09 AM »
FTC's lesser known 2005 video "A Fine Line Between Love & Haight" is in reference to the fact the shop is located on Haight street in SF.
i cant stress how important it is to smoke copious amounts of marjuiwnana at every given oppoutryunity

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2021, 11:56:52 AM »
Blockhead's "Girl Trouble" video came out right after Girl started, I thought maybe that was somehow directed at them?

Prime's "Fight Fire with Fire" seemed somehow to be a reference to something going on with Markovich and sponsors?  I may have blown it on that one.

"Second Hand Smoke" always seemed to me to be setting expectations a little bit lower than "Virtual Reality"

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1361
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2021, 12:51:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

The Search for Animal Chin seems pretty straight forward, same with Powell Eight.  But what about Future Primitive, Public Domain, Rubbish Heap, Shackle Me Not, Love Child, Sorry, We Blew It At Some Point, and a ton more?

Pretty Sweet got its name because a Girl is pretty and Chocolate is sweet, right?

[close]

Probably wrong but Paul Grund says We Blew It At Some Point in the beginning of the video, maybe thats why? Would be surprised if thats the reason tbh.
[close]

Bro, just because someone very memorably uses that exact phrase, word for word, at the start of the video doesn't mean that's the reason they called the video that.  Pull your head out of your ass.   

Expand Quote

Another mark.

Gideon Choi

• Rep: 33
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2021, 01:33:02 PM »
Right Foot Forward - Because all the featured skaters were goofy

Sifter

• Rep: 47
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2021, 02:48:47 PM »
Extremely Sorry for the music

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2021, 02:50:30 PM »
The biggest mystery is why Jeremy Klein would call his Hookups video "Asian Goddess."

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2021, 11:55:12 PM »

Animal Chin was a response to Grosso quitting Powell to turn pro for Schmitt Stix. When the influx of new skaters couldn't understand what the fuss was about, if morphed into something else for the video.

I think Tony Mag's video names and confusing ad copy is due to English being his second language.

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2021, 12:47:11 AM »
Mouse is apparently named after a German graphic novel called Das Maus.
I couldn’t tell you why but it was written by Art Spiegel and Spikes real name is Adam Spiegel, so that’s something maybe. It also has a skateboarding mouse in it.

JamesFardy

• Rep: 66
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2021, 04:35:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Por que?

[close]

[close]
What about strange world
[close]

[close]
[close]

This is the most likely explanation. The whole tie -dye visuals was unusual for a Zero release but I liked it and thought it worked well for the team at the time.

I actually asked him about this. He said he’s named every zero video besides Strange World, that was John Rattrays idea. And I think it was fitting for the unusual feel the video had

xrossings

• Rep: 61
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2021, 05:21:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That defo passed me by, how interesting.
And re: Cold War ; I kinda hope that it was due to the joslin over last part between the two riders.
There were even two versions I think - premiered with one part last then the actual released vid had the other.

yeah there was 2 different versions the one for digital services where dane had the ender and the physical release where tommy guns had it

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2021, 05:22:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Animal Chin was a response to Grosso quitting Powell to turn pro for Schmitt Stix. When the influx of new skaters couldn't understand what the fuss was about, if morphed into something else for the video.

I think Tony Mag's video names and confusing ad copy is due to English being his second language.

This makes so much sense, it actually is too much sense