Author Topic: Independent soft bushings are too hard and won't break in  (Read 2498 times)

TPB3333

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
Independent soft bushings are too hard and won't break in
« on: October 19, 2021, 07:54:06 AM »
Hey y'all,

I like to ride my trucks (venture) pretty loose. Not like crazy loose, but certainly on the looser side of medium. My last pair of bushings crumbled, so I thought I'd buy the independent soft bushings (88a cylinder red ones).
However, these are the hardest bushings I've ever had.
And they don't seem to break in.
I've been skating them for like a month now and they haven't gotten looser at all.
Has anyone had the same experience with indy bushings?
Can it be that they don't work properly in ventures?
Is there something I can do to break them in faster?

Thanks!
(Btw I don't know if this should be posted in the questions section, if so let me know, I'll move the thread)

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
Re: Independent soft bushings are too hard and won't break in
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 08:35:55 AM »
Shave them down on your griptape a lil

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 09:14:27 AM »
Hey y'all,

I like to ride my trucks (venture) pretty loose. Not like crazy loose, but certainly on the looser side of medium. My last pair of bushings crumbled, so I thought I'd buy the independent soft bushings (88a cylinder red ones).
I've been skating them for like a month now and they haven't gotten looser at all.

Thanks!
(Btw I don't know if this should be posted in the questions section, if so let me know, I'll move the thread)

The red "soft" bushings are harder than the stock medium bushings, as is well established on this section of Slap. The white "super soft" bushings are actually really soft, though.

I don't know why the red bushings even exist. They're terrible, never buy them.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

creep3000

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 09:30:44 AM »
boil em for a few min.

TPB3333

• Rep: -1
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 09:47:38 AM »
Thanks for your replies, will try them all! And keep 'm coming if you have more! As for the red bushings, how weird that they're labled soft and weird that these complaints never got back to Indy. So I guess I'm probably never gonna get them again. But will try to make the best of these ones.

RottenToTheCore

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 12:47:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Hey y'all,

Thanks!
[close]

The red "soft" bushings are harder than the stock medium bushings, as is well established on this section of Slap. The white "super soft" bushings are actually really soft, though.

I don't know why the red bushings even exist. They're terrible, never buy them.

In my experience the super soft bushings made virtually no difference since they are taller than stock bushings

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 01:47:04 PM »
been running the 78a bottoms with stock ventures tops and its golden.

tried the 88a cylinders for two weeks max and can confirm that they sucked
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 05:51:22 PM »
Shave them / cut the tops down, or try any other options including using old parts, eg bushings that didn't break.

Cutting the tops down would be the cheapest method that should help to make them work more comfortably for you, but if you are unsure, it can be a bit of a struggle.

Sorry for posting this again, but this is one of the best ways to get around bushings that sit too tall.

This has been my go to for almost any brand of truck, to help people with bushing issues to have looser trucks without having any other issues.  You can always put the cut off part back into the truck assembly as well, so depending on how much looser you need it, I would say cut off about a mm or two at most from the lower part of the top bushings.

Those Indy red 88s will feel so much better after this - had them and done it before and they are still going.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 08:34:31 PM »
I'm really curious about trying this technique, thanks M Brimson. Do you (or anyone else) know, is there a consensus around how important the kinda protective lip is on indy washers, versus flat washers like a bones washer? Is it specific to the design of the bushings? I find the indy ones ugly but i believe in function over fashion
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 06:17:46 AM »
Damn I wish I had read about this earlier, been trying to break those red 88a fuckers in for 2 weeks now. Do not recommend, especially in cold weather.

IpathCats

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2021, 06:24:06 AM »
Hey y'all,

Thanks!

Toss em, get the white bois.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2021, 07:18:55 AM »
I'm really curious about trying this technique, thanks M Brimson. Do you (or anyone else) know, is there a consensus around how important the kinda protective lip is on indy washers, versus flat washers like a bones washer? Is it specific to the design of the bushings? I find the indy ones ugly but i believe in function over fashion

The standard / stock washer type keeps the bushing totally locked down, or in some cases (Ace) causes the bushing to spill out over the side if tightened down too much.

A flat top can allow the bushing to have a bit more give with movement to the sides not restricted as much, but shouldn't affect performance in any negative way, unless again it is tightened down too much and the soft bushing is pushed out the side.  Harder bushings don't squash or move as much as softer ones.

Often too the flat washers are thinner, which means you can have the nut at the same place on the kingpin and the trucks will feel ever so slightly looser than with the thicker standard / stock washers.

I have always found the stock washers to be fine, so I haven't gone looking for anything else, although I have tried flat washers from time to time and they work fine / the same for me.

Others have found great joy and happiness in flat washers, as per some comments on Slap I have read, so going by that alone, there is definitely a following of flat washer people.

At least flat washers are easy enough to find and buy from almost any hardware store too.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2021, 08:22:59 AM »
Hey y'all,

Thanks!

Hahahaha Yes!!
So when I started my bushing madness I went into the store that must not be named and said "I need the hardest bushings you've got!"
The kid slides me over red indys and says something to the extent of  "The red ones are the hardest ones we sell." Cool.
 I get home and see that the pack says soft 88. Pissed!!!
I said to myself "Pookie James Johnson, you have been hoodwinked!"
 I set them up anyways because they felt harder with my scientific bite method. 
They are! So this kid wasn't actually wrong! lol
 It's been a year now and I'm now 170-175lbs down from 180+ and still no threads showing from the kingpin!

Davie Dick

• Rep: 14
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2021, 10:46:48 PM »
Yeah I bought the red 88a a few months ago and just could not break them in, had many shitty sessions. I figured microwaving them would work but i kinda overdid it and they came out all melted and deformed, and still those fuckers weren't any softer. Other day saw someone recommend the white bushings in an old slap post and i picked them up today, only to see this thread now full of other 88a indy bushing survivers.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2021, 11:44:45 PM »
Here is my run down on the Indy bushings, from using them as well as setting them up for friends and people in the shop but then skating their boards as well, so I have had a chance to see what all of them are like, not just on the first day but after they have broken in nicely too.

The white "super soft" ones are 78 duro and so very mushy feeling all round for me (normal adult size and weight) so I really only recommend them for very small lightweight skaters, or those who want trucks that almost feel like there are no bushings.

The red 88s, as said seem harder than even the blue 92s but have different properties to the blue or black ones, so it is a bit funny as the older red ones are way softer than the newer red ones.

The aftermarket orange 90 duro bushings are by fay the best for any normal person, which give a lot more than the red 88s oddly enough, especially the conical shaped ones, but I have all of them and the cylinder works fine as well.

The blue 92 duro are about my favourite, but with the low top option or cut down tops, if they are the normal ones, which are just a bit firmer and more stable, but with lower heads, I can have the trucks a bit more loose, while still having more stability than the softer options.

Black 94 duro hard bushings are firm but still compress enough for turning for heavier skaters, which in turn can be more a wheelbite issue as well, given some people want tight trucks and think these will be what they want.  If tightened too much, they will have more issues than if they had harder bushings to begin with, as they don't bounce back or stay compressed more than they should.

Yellow 96 duro super hard or whatever they call them still turn but are very stiff, so pretty much the true medium hard option really, but again when people who want no turn and tight trucks get them, then tighten them down too far, then have issues with them as they think they are going to be harder than they are.

Also just to throw in thoughts on the Indy stock bushings, no matter which colour, 90 duro, a bit soft and squishy to start with but they firm up a fair bit with normal use, so while left at kingpin nut top of kingpin, they will be way more loose than most of the other bushings, apart from the white aftermarket 78s.

The stock ones used to be rubbish and would blow out or have all sorts of issues in older stage Indy trucks, but nowdays they are actually really good and I have recycled many stock sets that were taken out right from new (when people put in other bushings right away) then put them into other trucks when people have had issues with their own bushings and almost all of them have said how well they work, including putting the stock Indy white ones into Ace trucks I have had set up and people thought they turned better than the stock Ace bushings.

They are by no means the be all and end all of bushings, but they definitely work well, when worn in and not tightened down to start with or skated pretty much at factory set kingpin nut or a bit below.

RottenToTheCore

• Rep: 10
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2021, 12:23:07 AM »
Here is my run down on the Indy bushings, from using them as well as setting them up for friends and people in the shop but then skating their boards as well, so I have had a chance to see what all of them are like, not just on the first day but after they have broken in nicely too.

The white "super soft" ones are 78 duro and so very mushy feeling all round for me (normal adult size and weight) so I really only recommend them for very small lightweight skaters, or those who want trucks that almost feel like there are no bushings.

The red 88s, as said seem harder than even the blue 92s but have different properties to the blue or black ones, so it is a bit funny as the older red ones are way softer than the newer red ones.

The aftermarket orange 90 duro bushings are by fay the best for any normal person, which give a lot more than the red 88s oddly enough, especially the conical shaped ones, but I have all of them and the cylinder works fine as well.

The blue 92 duro are about my favourite, but with the low top option or cut down tops, if they are the normal ones, which are just a bit firmer and more stable, but with lower heads, I can have the trucks a bit more loose, while still having more stability than the softer options.

Black 94 duro hard bushings are firm but still compress enough for turning for heavier skaters, which in turn can be more a wheelbite issue as well, given some people want tight trucks and think these will be what they want.  If tightened too much, they will have more issues than if they had harder bushings to begin with, as they don't bounce back or stay compressed more than they should.

Yellow 96 duro super hard or whatever they call them still turn but are very stiff, so pretty much the true medium hard option really, but again when people who want no turn and tight trucks get them, then tighten them down too far, then have issues with them as they think they are going to be harder than they are.

Also just to throw in thoughts on the Indy stock bushings, no matter which colour, 90 duro, a bit soft and squishy to start with but they firm up a fair bit with normal use, so while left at kingpin nut top of kingpin, they will be way more loose than most of the other bushings, apart from the white aftermarket 78s.

The stock ones used to be rubbish and would blow out or have all sorts of issues in older stage Indy trucks, but nowdays they are actually really good and I have recycled many stock sets that were taken out right from new (when people put in other bushings right away) then put them into other trucks when people have had issues with their own bushings and almost all of them have said how well they work, including putting the stock Indy white ones into Ace trucks I have had set up and people thought they turned better than the stock Ace bushings.

They are by no means the be all and end all of bushings, but they definitely work well, when worn in and not tightened down to start with or skated pretty much at factory set kingpin nut or a bit below.

Shoes and gear POTY

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2021, 07:23:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Shoes and gear POTY

I have so many Brimmo posts bookmarked.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2021, 07:28:08 AM »
Red conical ones are really good, cylinder ones were hot trash

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2021, 08:56:35 AM »
Hey y'all,

Thanks!

You need a bones flat washer. Or a thinner flat washer. That would be sick

Indy bushings are a tad bit taller than bait and tackle I think. It could be in my mind but I think I'm right.

If you like loose the flat washer is pretty much the most important part.

I'm actually going to go set up my white Supa Soft Indy bushings rn.

I wish that let's say
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2021, 09:05:18 AM »
88a (all I ride form Indy) are not hard at all (to me).

Get some flat washers or run them without washers for a few sessions.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2021, 02:18:57 PM »
I tried red Indy 88a tops with a stock venture bottom last spring. Seemed super temperature sensitive-either rocks or mush.  I also went with a flat top washer as the stock cups hit the hanger early and often, limiting turn and wrecking the feel.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2021, 11:42:29 AM »

In theory, the washer both cradles the bushing to control its “action” a bit and keeps it from moving side-to-side too much when the hangar pivots.

I’ve had a few sets of the shitty stock washers dig into and cut up the bushings, though, so I ended up shelling out $30 to some dude in Hawai’i who makes precision-machined titanium washers. The lip is non-destructive and the diameters fit most bushings like a glove. I don’t think I’ve ever broken a cup washer in my life, so it was a worthwhile one-time expense for me.

Flat washers allow the bushings to move a little more, so in my experience, they give a livelier ride. The hard core against the flat washer on Bones-style bushings can sometimes slip back and forth as the hangar turns, which is what sometimes causes the annoying “click” on new ones. I use cup washers on Bones bushings for that reason, but a little wax on the flat washer helps, too.

As for bushings themselves, Brimson is spot on with the Indy review. I hated the white ones at first because of the mushy feeling, but I gave them a shot and now I love the barrel set. I’m back down to about 130-135, though, so if you’re more on the average to heavy side, I wouldn’t recommend (I was 160-165 before). What I personally like about them is that even though they’re squishy and loose, they feel very controlled and responsive to subtle foot and weight shifts. Bones’ soft bushings have a lot of rebound and feel vey floppy/bouncy by comparison. Much prefer mediums from Bones.

I like Indy’s black conical set for faster riding in bowls and shit. I still get a decent cush even on my Slenderman frame, but no chance of wheelbite (always 54mm/no risers). Using the white barrel on the deckside and the black cone on the wheelside was a fun experiment, but ultimately I prefer my two setups to be a little more distinct from each other.

I also highly recommend Riptide’s Indy pivot cups if you’re really looking to dial them in.

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2021, 12:50:49 AM »
boil em for a few min.

This. 5 minutes will give you extra gooshy bushings. Boil accordingly.