Author Topic: Suciu!  (Read 8239 times)

VHS ERA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Suciu!
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2021, 10:25:55 AM »
One of the greatest of all time. Just give him SOTY retroactive for 2019

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2021, 11:34:36 AM »
The video is titled "Blue Dog" which some might say is an homage to Hemingway's late spouse Hadley who was known to love canines with a natural shade of blue in their fur. Furthermore, @1:56 he does a 50-50 backside flip at Flushing Meadows which is where Ernest confessed his love to Hadley, a place that is also celebrated for it's unique shade of blue paint and lacquer.

These metaphors will probably go right over the average skateboarder's head because they are still doing 5-0 180s which lack sustenance

ACKSHULLY it's clearly a reference to Gabriel Garcia Marquez's highly lauded short story collection Eyes of a Blue Dog.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2021, 11:49:18 AM »
It's been ages since I've watched a complete part in slow motion. I can't wait to see a b sides to see his process behind some of this clips since tricks like the backtail down the hubba to drop off tailslide just looks like a battle to me. Also, I enjoyed the long lines. I feel sorry for people who can't enjoy this.

I agree with the incongruity of the music to some degree. I love Siouxsie so I'm biased, but I would have preferred that he skated to this song though it's about a minute shorter -

Or this song from the same time period with also nearly identical duration since we're playing with adidas money. The percussive rhythm, music changes up more and there are more vocalizations the editor could use to punctuate certain clips.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 01:27:16 PM by layzieyez »

theknifesong

• Rep: 19
  • wow!balls!
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2021, 10:17:16 PM »
song abd by dan cates:

suciu is one of my favs but i could not not be distracted by the absolute perfect use in the above video (which i've watched 100+ times easily). this just basically means i have to watch the suciu part many times for it to sink in... as usual.

My favorite comrade!

Fraserjamesjollyjamieson

• Rep: -17
  • Brown 2
« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2021, 07:52:17 AM »
Crazy that this thread was all positive then soon as kb posted that story people started to say he was boring

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2021, 08:17:36 AM »
Great part but not KB level clearly

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2021, 08:40:58 AM »
Every good part nowadays seems to have the most horrific soundtrack. Hate this trend.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2021, 08:54:50 AM »
Stupendous.

You knew when he posted the over the blocks Pier 7 line with the kickflip on insta that he had a next level version for his part.

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2021, 10:08:34 AM »
One of the greatest of all time. Just give him SOTY retroactive for 2019

Yes to this…or Louie retroactive for 2017.

Would be sick if they just picked the person that was the best skater regardless of video parts, company pushes, etc. Like Cardiel in 92.

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2021, 10:53:31 AM »
This is my favorite Suciu part in recent years. I liked the song and thought it fit well. Was a nice change of pace from his other parts. The Pier 7 clips and 2 long lines stood out most to me.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2021, 03:36:42 PM »
I'm not usually a big fan but this was a great part. I thought the music and edit really complimented his skating and made it more lively than a lot of his other stuff.

Switch 180 5-0 then bs 180 nosegrind quick handrail line was awesome.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2021, 04:41:32 PM »
Did anyone notice the casual switch front 5-0 down that rail? Not one you see often..

I can’t get over how good this part is. By far his best work along with Verso and CC

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2021, 04:56:08 PM »
Did anyone notice the casual switch front 5-0 down that rail? Not one you see often..

I can’t get over how good this part is. By far his best work along with Verso and CC
That's why I had to resort to full slow mo. Too many mind bending tricks done so casually that it wasn't processed correctly. This part is an absolute trip

Brguy

« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2021, 06:26:12 PM »
Mark Suciu is kinda like Tool, they don't have the biggest fan base, but the fans they have are the most annoying. Good part though.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2021, 12:11:46 AM »
I celebrate this, just like everything Suciu has ever put out, however I am not sure about the bigger but not so big rails and stairs sprinkled in. I feel he should continue to build up to something on Insta and then surprise everyone with some proper bangers in that realm. Or just leave it to others altogether. The Cab was beautiful but it's just a tad too normalized these days, and the bigger rail tricks are pretty bland. My take is, take it up a notch or just keep it as a fun Insta thing.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2021, 12:42:37 AM »
It would be mad if they did a graphic and he’s shooting a machine gun and it says Mark pewpew
listen to cosmic psychos

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 78
« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2021, 10:37:34 AM »
I celebrate this, just like everything Suciu has ever put out, however I am not sure about the bigger but not so big rails and stairs sprinkled in. I feel he should continue to build up to something on Insta and then surprise everyone with some proper bangers in that realm. Or just leave it to others altogether. The Cab was beautiful but it's just a tad too normalized these days, and the bigger rail tricks are pretty bland. My take is, take it up a notch or just keep it as a fun Insta thing.

did we watch the same part? the only remotely large handrails are the switch 5-0 and back lip... i'll admit the back lip wasn't necessarily the most impressive trick but it seemed like it was something that was fun for him, it looked sick, and he's stoked on it so why not include it to give the part a little variety? the switch 5-0 is legitimately fucking gnarly, no one does that trick let alone on a handrail like that. two handrail tricks doesn't seem that crazy to me and certainly doesn't come across like he's trying to dabble in hesh Zero rail chomper territory

there aren't really any big stairs in this part either so not sure what that's about. biggest set he skates is probably the switch front 360 down that 10 which looked super cool imo and absolutely makes sense in the context of the part.

Suciu has a long history of skating big shit too, this part actually has less of that than some of his past parts. he's done tricks down the Love fountain gap, he Nollie fs 360'd D7 blocks, he switch back 50'd a 20 stair hubba at Dime Glory Challenge, etc. etc.

also there are no cabs in the whole part? confused by this comment on just about every level lol

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2021, 10:47:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

did we watch the same part? the only remotely large handrails are the switch 5-0 and back lip... i'll admit the back lip wasn't necessarily the most impressive trick but it seemed like it was something that was fun for him, it looked sick, and he's stoked on it so why not include it to give the part a little variety? the switch 5-0 is legitimately fucking gnarly, no one does that trick let alone on a handrail like that. two handrail tricks doesn't seem that crazy to me and certainly doesn't come across like he's trying to dabble in hesh Zero rail chomper territory

there aren't really any big stairs in this part either so not sure what that's about. biggest set he skates is probably the switch front 360 down that 10 which looked super cool imo and absolutely makes sense in the context of the part.

Suciu has a long history of skating big shit too, this part actually has less of that than some of his past parts. he's done tricks down the Love fountain gap, he Nollie fs 360'd D7 blocks, he switch back 50'd a 20 stair hubba at Dime Glory Challenge, etc. etc.

also there are no cabs in the whole part? confused by this comment on just about every level lol

Indeed, there is no Cab, I was thinking of the Sw Fs 360. And yes, it’s only a few tricks, sprinkled in as I wrote. I suppose it just felt a bit random to me, especially the Bs Lipslide. Like, I thought he was building up to something but it ended where it started.

His proper big tricks in the past were magic of the moment things in my opinion, he has never built a part around that sort of stuff. Which I wouldn’t mind, I am just a sucker for conceptual consistency.

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 78
« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2021, 11:09:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Indeed, there is no Cab, I was thinking of the Sw Fs 360. And yes, it’s only a few tricks, sprinkled in as I wrote. I suppose it just felt a bit random to me, especially the Bs Lipslide. Like, I thought he was building up to something but it ended where it started.

His proper big tricks in the past were magic of the moment things in my opinion, he has never built a part around that sort of stuff. Which I wouldn’t mind, I am just a sucker for conceptual consistency.

I do see what you're saying and obviously a big back lip down a handrail doesn't necessarily fit with his "vibe" as much as some other stuff in here, but the conceptual consistency is there for me personally. While I think the thematic arc of his skating is largely centered around quick feet, twisty/uncomfortable tricks that are spun the wrong way, and unique/hard to skate/crusty/weird spots... I think it fits with the messaging to also be like "but you can take me to a big rail and I'll switch 5-0 it and make it look fuckin' cool". Part of his whole thing (imo) is that he'll skate whatever you put in front of him and probably come out with something interesting, and sometimes that results in stuff like a nollie 360 down D7 or a back lip down a handrail or a switch tre down a big double set (Verso) just as much as it does crazy ledge lines or skating some crustyass bank to ledge in an alley in NYC.

In the past he's been really meticulous about what gets included in his parts for tons of reasons outside of just what constitutes the highest level skating, so I also think that a back lip down a handrail can serve a purpose in the part for reasons other than just being the most impressive trick or the most on brand clip, like it could be a spot that he thought looked really interesting on an aesthetic level or the rail sounded really good and he wanted it included for that reason.

On the flip side, another thing that felt good about this part was that it actually felt a little LESS intentional, a little less curated, and felt a little bit more like Mark just having fun and skating without trying to apply such an intense artistic vision to it (as much as I also love that approach too). It was cool to see him take a bit more a relaxed approach here that felt super natural, and so in that capacity, maybe he just felt like doing a bigass back lip at the time and said fuck it and that really was the extent of the thought process lol who knows

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2021, 11:48:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I do see what you're saying and obviously a big back lip down a handrail doesn't necessarily fit with his "vibe" as much as some other stuff in here, but the conceptual consistency is there for me personally. While I think the thematic arc of his skating is largely centered around quick feet, twisty/uncomfortable tricks that are spun the wrong way, and unique/hard to skate/crusty/weird spots... I think it fits with the messaging to also be like "but you can take me to a big rail and I'll switch 5-0 it and make it look fuckin' cool". Part of his whole thing (imo) is that he'll skate whatever you put in front of him and probably come out with something interesting, and sometimes that results in stuff like a nollie 360 down D7 or a back lip down a handrail or a switch tre down a big double set (Verso) just as much as it does crazy ledge lines or skating some crustyass bank to ledge in an alley in NYC.

In the past he's been really meticulous about what gets included in his parts for tons of reasons outside of just what constitutes the highest level skating, so I also think that a back lip down a handrail can serve a purpose in the part for reasons other than just being the most impressive trick or the most on brand clip, like it could be a spot that he thought looked really interesting on an aesthetic level or the rail sounded really good and he wanted it included for that reason.

On the flip side, another thing that felt good about this part was that it actually felt a little LESS intentional, a little less curated, and felt a little bit more like Mark just having fun and skating without trying to apply such an intense artistic vision to it (as much as I also love that approach too). It was cool to see him take a bit more a relaxed approach here that felt super natural, and so in that capacity, maybe he just felt like doing a bigass back lip at the time and said fuck it and that really was the extent of the thought process lol who knows

I mean, I agree! Not a big deal at all. The Bs Lipslide in particular felt like something I have seen him do in an Insta story. I guess I was just expecting a bit more, or none of that at all.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2021, 09:15:14 AM »
You can hate on the guy for being pretentious or whatever, I get that, but you can't deny that he's one of the most talented skaters ever and does some of the most unique and crazy hard tech tricks with great style.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • old and in the way
« Reply #111 on: October 28, 2021, 01:25:46 PM »

thebacker

« Reply #112 on: October 28, 2021, 01:31:15 PM »

when that second song hits  8)